Indian Army Armored Vehicles

bhramos

Country flag
3 years ago, when I was new to defence related discussions I was searching for future weapons of DRDO. In a site, there was mention of many, Arjun 2, Akash, Nag , Kali etc, along with a surprising weapon was mentioned .DRDO was making such a weapon which would projectile hundreds of canistered explosives. Those could be destroyed or defused remotely , depending upon situation. The then time I asked about that system to many FB defence pages, but none could help. Later I did think , that must be a misconception just. Because no other source I found mentioning about this.
But after so many years, I found this!
View attachment 17404 View attachment 17405
Shielder. British mine laying armoured vehicle.Works almost the same way.
Now I wonder, did India try (or still trying) to develop similar platform?
Any details on this?

i have seen some mine laying equipment

some drdo related thing, but may not have passed trails....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Their is another vehicle based on BMP for mine laying purpose ..

3 years ago, when I was new to defence related discussions I was searching for future weapons of DRDO. In a site, there was mention of many, Arjun 2, Akash, Nag , Kali etc, along with a surprising weapon was mentioned .DRDO was making such a weapon which would projectile hundreds of canistered explosives. Those could be destroyed or defused remotely , depending upon situation. The then time I asked about that system to many FB defence pages, but none could help. Later I did think , that must be a misconception just. Because no other source I found mentioning about this.
But after so many years, I found this!
View attachment 17404 View attachment 17405
Shielder. British mine laying armoured vehicle.Works almost the same way.
Now I wonder, did India try (or still trying) to develop similar platform?
Any details on this?

Prashant12

Country flag

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
^^^
Our "Bhishma" uses the V92 engines I believe. So, either the report has erroneously mentioned that the model is V82 or we are getting a different engine altogether for the "Ajeya" which makes little sense.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Bhai ab ense pind chutane ka time a Gaya.
Kinse? OFB se? Ya BMP se? :lol:

IMHO, OFB needs some major restructuring. I don't think the private industry can replace OFB in its entirety. And it might not be advisable to do so. Its just an intution of mine though.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

SanjeevM

Country flag
I believe government must have done cost analysis and comparisons. Whether it's cost effective to upgrade or whether they should buy new ones. In case of upgrades how long the working life would be extended.

If we have old cars, we know that every now and then they need repairs. Not sure if that is the same case here as well. Unless they are replacing everything, they may frequently require repairs.

bhramos

Country flag
India may sue Polish firm over armored recovery vehicle contract
By: Vivek Raghuvanshi, June 16, 2017 (Photo Credit: Raveendran/AFP via Getty Images)

NEW DELHI — The Indian government may file a lawsuit against Polski Holding Obronny of Poland, formerly known as Bumar, for allegedly not honoring a contract to supply full technology transfer for key systems of armored recovery vehicles, or ARV, to be manufactured in India by state-owned Bharat Earth Movers Limited for the Indian Army.

“Despite an undersigned contract [worth] $275 million signed in January 2012 for supply of 204 ARVs, the Polish company has ... not given critical technology transfer for ARVs to be manufactured by BEML in India. The Polish company also refused to open performance bank guarantee of $100 million for technology transfer of critical systems for ARVs, and despite several reminders, PHO has refused to honor its commitment," according to an Indian Ministry of Defence official, who spoke to Defense News on condition of anonymity.

“India is now actively pursuing to file a lawsuit again PHO for not honoring [its] commitment, and [the Indian] government will now recover liquidity damages,” the MoD source added.

BEML bagged an order from the MoD in November 2011 to produce 204 ARVs with full technology transfer from PHO for the Indian Army’s Russian-made T-72 main battle tanks.

Under the contract, 50 percent of the ARV was to be homemade by BEML, and PHO was to provide full critical technology transfer to crucial subsystems, according to a BEML executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “We are now actively seeking other alternatives to complete this program”.

Per the contract, each ARV would cost $1.4 million and be supplied within three years. The currently Army faces an acute shortages of ARVs, an Army official said.

PHO, then Bumar, and BEML entered into an agreement in 2003 and have since been producing ARVs for the Indian Army. The November 2011 contract was a repeat order.

The MoD did not float a global tender for ARVs, but rather nominated BEML and Bumar for the program since it was a repeat order, the MoD source said.

The Army uses ARVs for recovery and repair of broken-down T-72 tanks and BMP-1 and -2 infantry combat vehicles.

BEML-built ARVs are based on Russian-made T-72 tank hulls, armed with a 12.7mm machine gun and equipped with a crane able to lift up to 15 tons.
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/india-may-sue-polish-firm-over-armored-recovery-vehicle-contract

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I believe government must have done cost analysis and comparisons. Whether it's cost effective to upgrade or whether they should buy new ones. In case of upgrades how long the working life would be extended.

If we have old cars, we know that every now and then they need repairs. Not sure if that is the same case here as well. Unless they are replacing everything, they may frequently require repairs.
Just FYI.

New BMP costs about 30-40 crores each. Even WHAP costs 20-25 crores(as of last year news).

This upgrade is costing 2-3 crores each.

bhramos

Country flag
Just FYI.

New BMP costs about 30-40 crores each. Even WHAP costs 20-25 crores(as of last year news).

This upgrade is costing 2-3 crores each.
BMP dont costs that much, may be too less as even Imported T-90 costs 14 crore rupees...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Global Defence

Articles