Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Chinmoy

Country flag
At Mechuka in Arunachal, Indian Air Force gets a landing strip near the China border

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...unachal-pradesh-china-border-mechuka-2827901/

Located at an elevation of about 1830 metres above sea level and close to China border, Mechuka was one of the several strategic locations during the 1962 war with China.

An Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) of the Indian Air Force (IAF) located at Mechuka, a small town in the West Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh, has become operational with Air Marshal C Hari Kumar, Air Officer Commanding-in Chief, of the Eastern Air Command formally inaugurating it on Monday.

Located at an elevation of about 1830 metres above sea level and close to China border, Mechuka was one of the several strategic locations during the 1962 war with China. Left unused and abandoned for a long time until a decision was taken in 2013 to reconstruct it, the IAF Works department completed the task in a record time of 30 months, Tezpur-based Defence PRO Lt Col Shombit Ghosh said.

“The strategic location of the ALG at Mechuka will make it a launching pad for the IAF operations as well as help the local administration in management of the border areas. The ALG will also provide air support in meeting various challenges during natural calamities by carrying out casualty evacuation and humanitarian assistance,” the Defence PRO said. It would also assist in routine supply of equipment and rations to the troops posted in far flung areas, he informed.

The IAF had only in March this year made two other ALGs – at Ziro and Aalo – operational. With Mechuka becoming operational, the number of upgraded ALGs in the frontier state has gone up to four. About 500 kms by road from Itanagar, Mechuka is only 29 kms from the China border, and is already part of a major tourist circuit in the frontier state.

It was only last Friday that Arunachal Pradesh governor had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the 65th Plenary session of the North Eastern Council in Shillong for opening 8 ALGs for civilian use and upgrading of 26 helipads spread across the state. Arunachal Pradesh, which shares 1080 kms of international boundary with China, continues to depend heavily on the IAF for reaching essential items to people in interior areas in the absence of a good road network.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Indian Airforce's roundel is not cool.
I think we need new roundel. Isn't?
Not much different is the army, police and Paramilitary.

Only difference is the crown is replaced by Ashoka emblem.

For example - a Brigadier and his equivalent DIG had 3 starts and crown now replaced by Ashok emblem.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Not much different is the army, police and Paramilitary.

Only difference is the crown is replaced by Ashoka emblem.

For example - a Brigadier and his equivalent DIG had 3 starts and crown now replaced by Ashok emblem.
Any pictures of that?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

Tactical Frog

Country flag

Few days back

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tejas-to-replace-mig-as-key-fighter/article8657300.ece

About 250 MiG-21s were in service, most of which would be phased out in the next 10-15 years, Mr. Parrikar said, adding that they would be “replaced by the LCA and another single-engine fighter.”
Another riddle from the enigmatic Mr Parrikar :shock:
Could be Gripen but without its Selex radar.
Or could be a brand new fighter , not in the market as we speak.

Rushil51

Country flag

Indian Air Force chief ACM Arup Raha will visit Saab Gripen's facility in Sweden.

rishivashista13

Country flag

Indian Air Force chief ACM Arup Raha will visit Saab Gripen's facility in Sweden.
are we going for gripen !! ??
As i know , we have rejected it .
So , now why we are showing interest ,if it is useless ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

rohit b3

Country flag
are we going for gripen !! ??
As i know , we have rejected it .
So , now why we are showing interest ,if it is useless ?

Sweden/Saab is offering some lucrative bribes to the IAF and the media. Hopefully Parrikar will stop it sooner or later.

rishivashista13

Country flag
What are advantages and disadvantages to India , If we go for gripen ?
(i read about this bird , really impressive )

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
What are advantages and disadvantages to India , If we go for gripen ?
(i read about this bird , really impressive )

It may be impressive but it was not meant to be in the MMRCA. It doesn't have the required twin engine configuration and cannot be counted as a medium or middle weight fighter. It is similar to a light combat aircraft except with advanced bells and whistles.

Saab is trying very hardly to get selected as the next aircraft in IAF. It is offering Make in India, its later Gan AESA radar. And its latest version and also participation/support in Indian LCA mkII programme which may put Tejas at risk. It also allegedly offered to do R&D and manufacturing the 5th gen gripen in/along with India.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles