India likely to acquire Tu-22M3 Supersonic Bombers

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
4 of these are present with the Indian Navy .
Afaik India has none but we do have tu-142.

We might have operated or were offered but we don't operate them as of today. Blame Ivanov and Fernandes.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Who knows may we have ?

You never.....Indo-Russia relation is very old with big budget and unaudited too.

pmaitra

Nahh ! That's very untrue , it can be BUT it is not meant to be.It is meant purely for space purpose
What about re-entry vehicles? They also serve a space purpose. Every rocket has dual civilian and military application; so do all kinds of space vehicles and shuttles.

Nirvana

What about re-entry vehicles? They also serve a space purpose. Every rocket has dual civilian and military application; so do all kinds of space vehicles and shuttles.
Yes it can have military application !! but that's not the real Purpose for AVATAR , isn't it ?

binayak95

Country flag
The Indian Navy took possession of four Tu 22M on lease while the IL-38 were on a refit in Russia in around 2004 and rumour is that they are based at the Andaman Tri Command

binayak95

Country flag
I don't think so, they won't provide that stealth tech even to their closest ally U.K let alone India

It's a far out of budget Bomber , the American have 19 of them.
A B2 Spirit costs the US more than $2 billion. So its well beyond our reach. The US refuses to sell the F-22 to anybody and you are talking about the B-2!! well we can forget about it.

Nirvana

A B2 Spirit costs the US more than $2 billion. So its well beyond our reach. The US refuses to sell the F-22 to anybody and you are talking about the B-2!! well we can forget about it.
Well if you go by previous post it wasn't me who was talking about B-2 , The u.s won't sell that stealthy Tech to anyone , I mean literally anyone

p2prada

^^ B2 Spirit - is this a Joke ?? :rofl:
Competition would be between the MKI and Rafale. Only proven aircraft. No paper tigers allowed, this includes the fullback, lightening, PAKDA etc.

But I don't mind 40 B-2s. :nono:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
B2 is very older tech in term of stealth, Its need more maintenance as it use a special radar absorbing paint, Where as F-22 is more modern, Even if B2 is offered doubt India will accept..

Well if you go by previous post it wasn't me who was talking about B-2 , The u.s won't sell that stealthy Tech to anyone , I mean literally anyone
F-35 is offered to India, It incorporate same stealth tech but different ECM suits..

Nirvana

Competition would be between the MKI and Rafale. Only proven aircraft. No paper tigers allowed, this includes the fullback, lightening, PAKDA etc.

But I don't mind 40 B-2s. :nono:
I Doubt the credibilty of that report , it was some 1-2 year's back.Even if the SFC is really looking for jets of their own and the defence Ministry does allow them for the purchase i doub't B2 or any American hardware will be considered taking in my , American High tech stuff comes with strings and this is what we are Looking for our strategic needs

Nirvana

B2 is very older tech in term of stealth, Its need more maintenance as it use a special radar absorbing paint, Where as F-22 is more modern, Even if B2 is offered doubt India will accept..

F-35 is offered to India, It incorporate same stealth tech but different ECM suits..
Agree.But my point here is Our strategic command will not look for B-2's :laugh: or any other American hardware because they come with certain clause viz CISMOA,BECA and other pacts

The report did mentioned that SFC was Looking for Fighter jet's which are Combat Proven and are capable of Delivering Nuclear weapon's - Mirage 2000 in IAF comes to my mind.Even the Rafale or MKI fits the bill.

we are Talking about Fighter's here which can deliver A2G Payload efficiently , they are not looking for Long range Strategic Bomber's from the report we had.There was no detailed report on requirement's thereafter

p2prada

SFC will never get strategic bombers, rest assured. Only strike fighters and they may not even have radars on them in order to keep them cheap. Heck they may end up with 40 Jaguars or worse, 40 Mig-27s. :laugh:

Nirvana

SFC will never get strategic bombers, rest assured. Only strike fighters and they may not even have radars on them in order to keep them cheap. Heck they may end up with 40 Jaguars or worse, 40 Mig-27s. :laugh:
:laugh: I Doub't they will go for Mig's - if they are not looking for more crashes,at Best they may end up with Mirage 2000 { which is no More under Production } , Rafale does Make sense when we are Already looking to induct it in Air force

A Multirole fighter with greater A2G Capability and can Deliver Nuclear Payload :thumb:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Agree.But my point here is Our strategic command will not look for B-2's :laugh: or any other American hardware because they come with certain clause viz CISMOA,BECA and other pacts

The report did mentioned that SFC was Looking for Fighter jet's which are Combat Proven and are capable of Delivering Nuclear weapon's - Mirage 2000 in IAF comes to my mind.Even the Rafale or MKI fits the bill.

we are Talking about Fighter's here which can deliver A2G Payload efficiently , they are not looking for Long range Strategic Bomber's from the report we had.There was no detailed report on requirement's thereafter
What SFC is looking at a platform which can drop a nuclear payload, The more the range better it is, SU-30MKI and Rafale both fits into the reqirments, Rafale have better chance coz its small yet effective with some 3000+ km range, But again as i said longer the range better it is..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles