India likely to acquire Tu-22M3 Supersonic Bombers

Country flag
^^ B2 Spirit - is this a Joke ?? :rofl:

Only the Russian SU-34 is a real contender?Once the Sukhois have refuelling upgrades
(buddy refuelling)they can possibly even carry out longer range strikes.

Last edited:

Nirvana

Only the Russian SU-34 is a real contender?Once the Sukhois have refuelling upgrades
they can possibly even carry out longer range strikes.
I Don't know how reliable that New's was...some 1 and 1/2 year's back...but what the source mentioned was "The SFC was looking for Combat Proven fighter Jets
Not Long Range Strategic Bomber's
which are Capable of Delivering Nuclear Weapons.

There was no Detailed Info about the Requirement's

I Personally feel Rafale and MKI's [BrahMos Capable] can fit for the job very well , But we do need Strategic Bomber's Or Bomber Fighter's with Long range and Combat radius to strike Deep in china and which can cover the whole china.

pmaitra

I Don't know how reliable that New's was...some 1 and 1/2 year's back...but what the source mentioned was "The SFC was looking for Combat Proven fighter Jets which are Capable of Delivering Nuclear Weapons.

There was no Detailed Info about the Requirement's

I Personally feel Rafale and MKI's [BrahMos Capable] can fit for the job very well , But we do need Strategic Bomber's Or Bomber Fighter's with Long range and Combat radius to strike Deep in china and which can cover the whole china.
Regarding long-range bombers, I think keeping in mind the large territorial expanse of PRC, why not?

We could always base some in Andamans or far away from Indo-Tibetan border so that we can use them if conflict breaks out. Personally, I like the idea.

Nirvana

Regarding long-range bombers, I think keeping in mind the large territorial expanse of PRC, why not?

We could always base some in Andamans or far away from Indo-Tibetan border so that we can use them if conflict breaks out. Personally, I like the idea.
Exactly, sooner or Later we will have to Look out for Long range Strike Bomber's or Fighter's Bomber's keeping China's increasing Military clout in mind.

Country flag
Last edited:

Blackwater

Russia offers TU-22M3 strategic bombers to India | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk

Russia has offered to sell several long-range Tupolev Tu-22M3 bombers to India, Russian Vice Premier and Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov said today.
He said the offer was made to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during talks in Moscow yesterday but India has not yet responded.
"We made the offer to the Indian side when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was here. The Indian side has not yet come back to us on the issue, and it would be impossible also to take a decision within 24 hours," Ivanov was quoted as saying by ITAR-TASS news agency. Ivanov said that India had earlier considered leasing the bombers but due to "technical reasons" Moscow is unable to lease the aircrafts.
The leasing of up to three long-range TU-22M3 (Backfire-C) bombers was part of the aircraft carrier 'Admiral Gorshkov' package, which also included leasing two Shchuka-B (Akula class) nuclear submarines currently under construction at Komsomolsk-on-Amur shipyard.
Ivanov underscored that Tu-22M3 is "not a strategic" weapon as it has a range of up to 7,000 kilometres. The bomber capable of carrying 3 Kh-22 cruise missiles is the main bomber of the Russian Air Force and Navy.
Talks for leasing three Tu-22M3 bombers were on since last five years in a package with the acquisition of the Gorshkov aircraft carrier, diplomatic sources said.

Read more: Russia offers TU-22M3 strategic bombers to India | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk

Russia offered in 2005,but no news such till now.BTW TU-22 is no longer advance machine for IAF now.High maintenance and operative cost is the issue

Nirvana

(buddy refuelling)they can possibly even carry out longer range strikes.
The Upcoming Upgrade of "Super sukhoi" for our Air force which will be capable of firing 300 km range BrahMos will be more than capable Platform for nuclear delivery role but SFC is looking for fighter's of their own if those reports are to be believed

for Nuclear delivery role , we need a Platform which can go , release the Payload and return back to base w/o refuelling - this is the Main advantage of long range strike bombers

Country flag
The Upcoming Upgrade of "Super sukhoi" for our Air force which will be capable of firing 300 km range BrahMos will be more than capable Platform for nuclear delivery role but SFC is looking for fighter's of their own if those reports are to be believed

for Nuclear delivery role , we need a Platform which can go , release the Payload and return back to base w/o refuelling - this is the Main advantage of long range strike bombers
we have our own program for a long range hypersonic plane-AVATAR but no news about it
for a long time.

http://defenceforumindia.com/strategic-forces/155-hypersonic-vehicles-scramjets.html

Nirvana

The new's of leasing of TU-22 is as old as from the day's of Indo-pak standoff in 2001

Nirvana

we have our own program for a long range hypersonic plane-AVATAR but no news about it
for a long time.
The AVATAR is an reusable spacecraft for our space Mission , no Military application.the Prototype is under development somewhere in ISRO facility in Tamil nadu or Kerala

Country flag
The AVATAR is an reusable spacecraft for our space Mission , no Military application.the Prototype is under development somewhere in ISRO facility in Tamil nadu or Kerala
are there 2 different programs?? 1 military and 1-space

from link:

The non-military version, a Re-usable Launch Vehicle (RLV), is similar in concept and has the Indian Space Research Organisation as the lead development agency.

Nirvana

If India backs USA on Iran ,then no,its reality
I don't think so, they won't provide that stealth tech even to their closest ally U.K let alone India

It's a far out of budget Bomber , the American have 19 of them.

Nirvana

are there 2 different programs?? 1 military and 1-space

from link:

The non-military version, a Re-usable Launch Vehicle (RLV), is similar in concept and has the Indian Space Research Organisation as the lead development agency.
No i dont think so , how can an RLV have military application ?

pmaitra

Some places reporting more are suppose to arrive with the Gorshokov as a part of a package??

Russia offers TU-22M3 strategic bombers to India | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk
Unrealistic.

Here is why:

MiG-29K:
Length: 17.3 m (57.76 ft)
Wingspan: 11.99 m (39.34 ft)

Tupolev-22M:
Length: 42.4 m (139 ft 4 in)
Wingspan: Spread (20° sweep): 34.28 m (112 ft 6 in); Swept (65° sweep): 23.30 m (76 ft 6 in))

Tupolev-22M is much bigger than MiG-29K and cannot be part of a package with Gorshkov/Vikramaditya. MiG-29K is part of the package. Just speculation and lack of research on part of those writing such reports.

Blackwater

I don't think so, they won't provide that stealth tech even to their closest ally U.K let alone India

It's a far out of budget Bomber , the American have 19 of them.

Demand of india is huge, today UK is not important India is for us ka a

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles