Imported Single Engine Fighter Jet Contest

Akshay Fenix

Country flag
The requirement was 120 - 150 ~ jets under MMRCA not about twin or single engine jets

Single engine jets requirement was to be fulfilled by Tejas.
No, Tejas were ordered to replace the Mig 21s which will be phased out from 2022 onwards and there 250 of those.

Also there is a requirement of 400 more fighters to take our squadron strength back to 42-45 by 2030. This is where the single engine and twin engine fighter comes in.

Kay

Country flag
They have already signed the dosier for begining the F - 16 manufacturing process. Now our boys will have a hard time resisting this type. I hope what you said comes true for our single engined fighter requirement in our choice of offensive aircraft.
Yeah...the addiction for foreign maal is undeniable..but GOI should be answerable to Indians why we are spending on foreign fighters instead of opening more production lines for Tejas

Akshay Fenix

Country flag
How is a fighter which has never crashed in flight called a coffin? The bigger question is why do we spend like a mingy and stingy miser when it comes to defence RnD, while the we covet, fawn and spend lavishly on foreign maal. I hope young India has outgrown this colonial hangover.
I was talking out Mig 21s and not Tejas.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
So we would just assemble parts here not manufacture them
Make in India :bs:

Reactions: Kay

square

Strategic Issues
these pactsbcan not meterilise untill govt of india give them contrect orders to buy f16.....

has mod or goi given any indication yet ???

square

Strategic Issues
And how much ToT is coming is deal. I mean critical tech ?
f16 is nenufecture on automation process , heardly any menual work .....everything is closely guarded in cumputer softweres......

square

Strategic Issues
Yeah...the addiction for foreign maal is undeniable..but GOI should be answerable to Indians why we are spending on foreign fighters instead of opening more production lines for Tejas
thats a valid question , but the quantum of retirements is too high....also f16 has more range and load carring capacity.....
if f16 production line came , IAF wouid never be worried about fighter planes numbers.....the requirement of 45 squad can be filled with years.....

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Sending knocked down assembly kits is not transfering technology...no one is stupid enough to transfer technology to lose business..and anyways, we have our own technology in Tejas
Americans are transferring almost all technologies except few.

This is a very good offer .

The idea is grab these technologies and give a boost to our indigenous industry.

The agreements are signed regarding the transfer of technologies.

Brood Father

Country flag
Sorry for my ignorance. But I didn't see any part where it is mentioned that we are buying F16..
It is only to setup production line (though it do not make sense for Americans to setup a fighter plan without buying clause)
But can anyone point out for how much Americans are costing us incase we are buying approx 40 year old fighter jet

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Their main fighter is JF17. They are assembling Chinese fighters, we are assembling F-16s..no difference...
Except that we have a 4 th gen fighter jet and can design a 5th gen fighter jet.

square

Strategic Issues
Sorry for my ignorance. But I didn't see any part where it is mentioned that we are buying F16..
It is only to setup production line (though it do not make sense for Americans to setup a fighter plan without buying clause)
But can anyone point out for how much Americans are costing us incase we are buying approx 40 year old fighter jet
buying agreement might tske place during modi visit to US....

Kay

Country flag
Americans are transferring almost all technologies except few.

This is a very good offer .

The idea is grab these technologies and give a boost to our indigenous industry.

The agreements are signed regarding the transfer of technologies.
Any technology is on offer only if we already have it or close to having it. We have a competitive plane and we should not allow the Americans to kill it off using our own taxpayers' money. If this is allowed, this is treason.

Kay

Country flag
We are not buying yet...but by allowing this, conditions are getting created to eventually buy the plane.

Kay

Country flag
thats a valid question , but the quantum of retirements is too high....also f16 has more range and load carring capacity.....
if f16 production line came , IAF wouid never be worried about fighter planes numbers.....the requirement of 45 squad can be filled with years.....
IAF need not worry about production numbers if more Tejas production lines are opened up.
We have other planes in our inventory with more range and carrying capacity than F16. The requirement to replace all Mig-21s can be met by Tejas. Every plane has something better than the other.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
With slow production rate of Tejas, slow procurement of Rafales, very very slow progress in FGFA, our IAF desperately needs open "Options" for purchase/strategic bargaining and strength. So in these circumstances I would not object this pact.

Kay

Country flag
With slow production rate of Tejas, slow procurement of Rafales, very very slow progress in FGFA, our IAF desperately needs open "Options" for purchase/strategic bargaining and strength. So in these circumstances I would not object this pact.
So why is the option of opening more Tejas production lines missing from this list of options?

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
So why is the option of opening more Tejas production lines missing from this list of options?
Well if they make F-16s in India, IAF is not bound to purchase it. Yet it will create job opportunities, we can continue our own R&D meanwhile.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Chinese bought all the tech which can be bought, stole all the tech which can be stolen and now developing what they can.
Which is exactly the model even US adopted .

But we want to be in everyone good books.
Well reality check good guys don't win.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Any technology is on offer only if we already have it or close to having it. We have a competitive plane and we should not allow the Americans to kill it off using our own taxpayers' money. If this is allowed, this is treason.
IAF is not inducting the F16's , India is manufacturing it.

It is one of the choice for IAF. IAF has already committed to induct Tejas mark 1 and mark 2.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles