IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

indiatester

Country flag
Few things I would like to add, if I may -
  • The helicopter is Mi-17V5, it is recently bought, has the latest equipment, electronics, and weather radar.

• Mi-17s are world-famous for their reliability. It sports very high availability and extremely low crash rates. Even without it, helicopters don't crash out of anywhere like fighter jets. Even in case of complete engine failure (it has 2), it can safely glide down to land.

• The pilots who fly VVIP missions are squadron commanders (i.e., the top most experienced pilots). The chances of mistakes are minimal.

• The area in which the crash happened is not in any sense volatile. Rumours of sabotage can be ruled out safely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is beyond sad. I have some experience with aviation, seeing the crash, there is <5% chance anyone will survive honestly.
Seems like the likely cause is poor visibility due to bad weather and the pilot couldn't see the hill slope and rammed it.
Really?
I thought the terrain warning system will give enough warning.

spiritb2

Country flag
Wait.. did he say there was an explosion first and then he saw the helicopter crashing into the trees or did he say it was a loud sound probably due to his proximity to the chopper?

Tamil is not my first language or second.. learnt a bit of spoken Tamil during my stay in TN so please correct if wrong.
Yes he did say heard a boom sound(maybe the rotors hitting something) at first, before crashing into a big tree nearby

mokoman

Country flag
Shit happens.

similar story from 2020 , american black hawk helicopter.

Chief of general staff General Shen Yi-ming was killed after the UH-60M Black Hawk helicopter crashed in mountains near Taipei,

General Shen Yi-ming and 12 others were on the Black Hawk helicopter when it was forced to land in poor weather near the capital, Taipei.

Earlier reports said some people had been found alive, with others "trapped under fragments of the helicopter".

bit bizzare but , his position seem to be similar to Rawat's (chief of defence staff)

Last edited:

another_armchair

Country flag
1638958751232.png

Looks like it happened near Coonoor close to the tea estates.

One can see Coimbatore city including Black Thunder if you are at Dolphin's nose near Coonoor. Yeah, the climb is steep and one can see the area is covered in cloud and fog. Dreadful weather to be flying in a chopper given the area.

Source - First image found at the bottom of the page.

sadhgurukilledmywife

Country flag
Apologies if I am wrong, but shouldn't IAF Chief return to Delhi ASAP just in case this leads to any instability on the borders?

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Bhaibno clue about crash

Thanthi tv says clear sky, while polimer says foggy
Coonor is a weird area the hills overlap each other with tight spot so its susceptible to ground weather effect, the fog moves like a blanket of waves,you might be experiencing sunny day within a minute a fog pocket approach the areas n reduce the visibility to few meters, meanwhile other side of the hill experiencing nice sun shine.

If i have to make an educated guess(if there is no foul ) pilot started to lower his altitude while he was experiencing nice weather suddenly met with rolling fog blanket as i mentioned earlier 👆 n struggled to find direction n lost his way.

Found himself gwr blaring n tried to pull up with full rev(hence the witnesses huge sound comment) n failed to gain altitude.

Im not saying sabotage is outta question but i posted this scenario if it were an accident.

JBH22

Apologies if I am wrong, but shouldn't IAF Chief return to Delhi ASAP just in case this leads to any instability on the borders?
Nope security establishment is not dependent on signle individual. Contingent plans exist to cater for any eventuality. Even if PM is gone the nation will continue to move ahead.
India is a resilient country.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
This is probably the biggest crash after 1963 poonch crash.

If weather was bad why he didn't take the road.
Thats where heads should roll , who gave the clearance the nation wants to know

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles