IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Mi-17s are world-famous for their reliability. It sports very high availability and extremely low crash rates. Even without it, helicopters don't crash out of anywhere like fighter jets. Even in case of complete engine failure (it has 2), it can safely glide down to land
Is there a comparison chart of our crash rates and crash rates of other countries that operate the same.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Is there a comparison chart of our crash rates and crash rates of other countries that operate the same.
I can assure you the crash is not due to technical failure. VVIP Mi-17 choppers are kept and maintained differently than normal choppers. Even if a speck of paint is missing, no clearance of flying is given.

Delta wing

Country flag
Coonor is a weird area the hills overlap each other with tight spot so its susceptible to ground weather effect, the fog moves like a blanket of waves,you might be experiencing sunny day within a minute a fog pocket approach the areas n reduce the visibility to few meters, meanwhile other side of the hill experiencing nice sun shine.

If i have to make an educated guess(if there is no foul ) pilot started to lower his altitude while he was experiencing nice weather suddenly met with rolling fog blanket as i mentioned earlier 👆 n struggled to find direction n lost his way.

Found himself gwr blaring n tried to pull up with full rev(hence the witnesses huge sound comment) n failed to gain altitude.

Im not saying sabotage is outta question but i posted this scenario if it were an accident.
there is no need to change the altitude coz, the crashed site is 8 Km away from WCB.
Many times I have watched the choppers hovering around, the pilots never ever let the altitude down to below 1000 ft, until the chopper reach the landing zone. The reason behind this is, WCB located near to coonoor town and densely populated.

JBH22

It is sad that people were injured or killed. Looking at the images of the wreckage, is there much chance of anyone surviving the impact and fire?
Nope. No chance. You've seen pictures of crash site. RM going to address parliament and also went to CDS home, that is enough conjecture to understand what he is going to announce.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles