Hypersonic Missiles

Country flag
South Asia Monitor: A Perspective on the Region

India plans to develop new supersonic cruise missile

New Delhi, February 17: The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, one of the most successful products of Indo-Russian military collaboration, is about to get a successor.

The new missile in its hypersonic version will fly much faster than BrahMos. After the successful development of BrahMos, both India and Russia will develop the missile jointly.

Though in the conceptual stage, the new hypersonic missile will have great kinematics energy, range and a powerful scramjet engine to make it a precision lethal weapon. Kinematics is the study of pure motion without regard to force, momentum or energy.

The kerosene-fuelled missile is believed to be much cheaper than the design concepts worked in the western countries.

"The hypersonic missile will have a speed of Mach 5 (five times the speed of sound)," A. Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and managing director of BrahMos Aerospace, told IANS at the ongoing defence exposition here.

"Today we are flying BrahMos at Mach 2.8. From that we are going to increase to Mach 5. So, the programme involves developing a new scramjet engine to gain that hypersonic speed."

"It is not against any particular country. We are a peace-loving nation and we are developing missiles under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) to protect ourselves from aggression."

When asked about the export potential of the BrahMos, he said: "Various countries are interested in buying it, but we have not made up our mind whom to sell it to."

The unique feature of this missile is that it will collect air from the atmosphere during its flight stage, liquefy it, separate the oxygen and store it on board for subsequent flight.

The new missile is expected to be a force multiplier for Indian defence forces.

p2prada

How can a missile be reused....?
The missile will fly close to the target, release the warhead and fly back to base. It will most probably have parachutes to land in water or on land somewhere close to the launch facility or near friendly forces for retrieval.

J

John

Brahsmos-2 will have max. speed of around mach 7, it has already sustained mach 5.26 in labs. I wonder what kinda range we talking about.

prahladh

Respected Member
LF sir, Please explain the terms in th egraph and what are those red blocks indicating in the graph.

venom

DFI Technocrat
The Brahmos-2 will be the 1st hypersonic cruise missile in the world.....

Country flag
LF sir, Please explain the terms in th egraph and what are those red blocks indicating in the graph.
1 red block =destruction of 17kiloton (or close to one hiroshima 20kiloton used)

5 red blocks would = 85 kilotons or 4 times the destruction etc..

J

John

Brahmos-2 must have a long range, its not impressive if its below 300km range, i think it needs minimum range gr8ter than 220NM or over 460km because then we can stay away from enemy's continental shelf and raise hell on their coastline. Either its has over 500km range or its has a range of around 180-200km and light enough to be deployed from MRCA, Su-30mki, FGFA, MCA that would do good as well. But i rather prefer the longer range option.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
kizer what about the MCRT

J

John

kizer what about the MCRT
I have no idea, if the missile is entirely made in India, is it possible to go over the MTCR. I have heard on and off that the Brahmos-1 already can hit targets 500km away on a lighter payload, i can't confirm it. Now if Brahmos-2 will have any Russian made parts then i am sure the missiles will end up having max. range of 300km but if every single nut and bolt is made in India and we use Russian help only for concepts and designs, i think we could go over 300km, but question remains, how will this work. If indeed we make it completely at home developing all the required tech. in India we can cross the limit. But if the missiles has a range of 150-200km it could be light enough to be more deploy able from aircraft, ships and land launchers, the heavier and the longer the effective range the less deploy able it becomes. But even with 200km range i would expect it to be heavy enough and might not even fit on a fighter. If it is a really long range weapons with ranges over 1200km, then it would be ideal for our Arihant, P-17A/B frigates and land launchers.

looking at the price tag of brahmos-1 we know that brahmos-2 will also be very expensive which could mean using it would be absolutely for critical targets like WMD bases, silos, govt. buildings, war production, refineries, air bases, naval stations, carriers, ballistic missiles launchers, other large amphibious ships etc. Being expensive and extremely deadly, i dont really know what the forces want. They could either mass produce bhramos-2 with range of 150-200km or they can keep an adequate number of long range brahmos-2, it all depends on the needs and the concepts.

venom

DFI Technocrat
It has already been made clear that the range of Brahmos-2 will be more than brahmos -1 & the wont be any Russian participation..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles