HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I am hearing lots of jet engine noise these days from the HAL old airport :hmm:

Pandora

Country flag
Here are the changes in TD 3 compare to other TDs:

Explaining the new features of LCH TD-3, Unni said that the chopper has a lifting wing now making it on par with the Mi-25 and Mi-35. In addition, the HAL designers have shortened the length of the chopper to improve the vibration characteristics.

The wings are now sitting slightly on a higher attachment point, compared to TD-1 and TD-2. "The cockpit was glassier earlier and now we have fixed armour plating on the sides, reducing the glass factor. Even the height of the cockpit has been reduced. The LCH TD-3 will be soon be integrated with weapons and it will have a busy schedule ahead carrying out trials. We have improved on many features, including the gear boxes of LCH TD-3

biswaranjanrath.sipu

@Tarmak007
I really don't like this door design. The ealier one was very good .I m not against the armour plate/simple aluminium plate that attached with it in a zigzag manner which looks little odd .except than this it is awesome and beautiful .I like this ,specially the engine intake modification .

Last edited:

Patriot_

I really don't like this door design. The ealier one was very good .I m not against the armour plate/simple aluminium plate that attached with it in a zigzag manner which looks little odd .except than this it is awesome and beautiful .I like this ,specially the engine intake modification .
I would say there is still a lot of glass around the cockpit area which exposes the pilots. Looking at other attack helicopters one can observe that even the glass area between the WSO and pilot is covered with armor plating for frontal protection. Aesthetics of it are however different matter altogether.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The design is proposed by Air-force mainly, If it was Army`s then we would have seen what @Patriot is suggesting ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Abhi9

Country flag
That glass is later of poly-carbonate which are bullet resisteant (MS grade and above). LCH is mainly envisaged for anti-armour role and infantry support missions. Both of these operations are going to be a stand-off ranges for anti-armour weapons(HELINA) or with rockets and 20 mm turret gun. which will provide major protection. Even if the helicopter has to go too close to the line of actions armour plating and bullet proof has been provided. Attack helicopter are highly agile unlike transport helicopter whose rotors are mainly designed for lift efficiency.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The philosophy behind such a cockpit canopy is to have better visual of surrounding, Some other example of similar designs ..

Inspiration for the roomy sunroom type LCH cockpit seems to have come from this mighty and ancient beast. LCH could not have chosen a better father. this extinct but purest blooded stallion that once roamed the empty prairies of north america. chetak, bucephalus,.....it has been called many names in history.

the ancients had prophesied it would be reborn again to bring light into this world :D

Singha from BR ..

=========

Very highly influenced by AH-56 ..

hope it gets incorporated in the army's version of LCH.:frusty:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles