HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Promise to Deliver
LCH D&D on track to deliver high altitude attack capability to IAF

LCH with anti-tank missile

The first prototype of the Light Combat Helicopter made its maiden flight in March 2010 and later took part in the flying display at Aero-India 2011. The second prototype has recently commenced flying and by the end of 2012, completion of flight testing of the basic platform is expected. Thereafter, systems and weapon integration trials would commence for the LCH. The final configuration of TD-3 is now in the process of getting defined and according to Dr Prasad Sampath, chief designer, Rotor Wing Research & Development Centre (RWRDC) HAL, "All the drawing changes will be completed by November end and we expect it to fly nine months from then. At present, we do not have any showstopper problems and TD-3 will be the final version of the LCH."

The team at RWRDC will be incorporating a number of improvements as a result of flight testing of prototypes and analysis of data obtained. This has led to a few essential design changes being introduced and these are being implemented on TD-2 for further flight testing. According to the design team, weight issues are under control and the LCH is likely to top out at 5800 kg. Sea level trials and high level trials are expected to take place soon

Modifications have been made to the second prototype and an important one has been to reconfigure the doors to open sideways and not upwards as in TD-1. Evaluation of a new air intake is set to begin as it was found during analysis that certain improvements could be made to the intake, and this has already been realised on TD-1 and air intake survey will be conducted for this. New drag reducing fairings will be fitted on TD-2 and flight performance evaluations of the same are also slated to commence shortly. Most important is to determine the true air speed. This requires evaluation of the pitot system that
provides the required data and the same helicopter will be used for performance evaluation and collection of load data. Load collection will help in carrying out the breakaway fuselage test and this has already started. It will help test structural integrity of the fuselage and actual flight loads need to be collected for this and design team is all geared up for this. The LCH has significantly less vibrations compared to the Dhruv however the canopy needs to be stiffened and modifications have already been made on TD-2 with regards to the top canopy for increased stiffness and this will be resolved completely on TD-3.

Further improved design changes are due to be effected on TD-3, which is expected to be very close to production standard. The landing gear now has a fairing to reduce drag. The LCH has a reduced cross sectional area and features a Radar Cross Section (RCS) that is one third of the Dhruv. The armament boom had been designed for low cross section. Unfortunately, the boom contributed higher than planned for drag and resulted in
reduced speed. It has now been replaced with a boom featuring an aerofoil cross section and drag has been reduced. The struts of the landing gear also contribute to RCS. Inbuilt Infra Red (IR) suppressors will reduce the heat signature and CFD analysis has been used here. The top of the helicopter has been cleaned up with a number of air inlets, etc being removed. Third prototype will incorporate all these changes.

HAL design and development programmes encompass full range of fixed wing aircraft

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Guys make no mistake I love the Dhruv gunship; but I've this worry... it carried way less payload than a technical gunship is supposed to carry. Look at the load it carried and compare it with its contemporaries. HAL needs to do something about its weight load capacity.

But let's congratulate HAL on their achievement. Hope that more powerful variants come out!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Guys make no mistake I love the Dhruv gunship; but I've this worry... it carried way less payload than a technical gunship is supposed to carry. Look at the load it carried and compare it with its contemporaries. HAL needs to do something about its weight load capacity.

But let's congratulate HAL on their achievement. Hope that more powerful variants come out!
Dhruv or LCH?

sandeepdg

Tshering, you are quoting on the "Rudra", the weaponized version of Dhruv. You are mistaking it for a full fledged gun ship, whereas it is actually not. Its actual role is that of an utility helicopter. It is modified for gunship operations in the form of "Rudra".

Whereas, LCH is true gunship, specifically developed for that purpose.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Tshering, you are quoting on the "Rudra", the weaponized version of Dhruv. You are mistaking it for a full fledged gun ship, whereas it is actually not. Its actual role is that of an utility helicopter. It is modified for gunship operations in the form of "Rudra".
I know Rudra, Sandeep. I am mentioning LCH itself and not Rudra. Trust me, there's a lot of difference to both than just appearance. Look at the above picture of LCH and look at this:

I am absolutely in love with LCH design and stuff but the point of a gunship is to be able to carry significant weapons payload. Light is fine but let's see this; looking at the rate of fire those rockets launch at, how many minutes do you think LCH would stay in the warzone before having to return and resupply.?

Whereas, LCH is true gunship, specifically developed for that purpose.
Please look at the pictures and tell me.

Dhruv or LCH?
I am not referring to Rudra; The LCH-- the gunship that came out of Dhruv is informally known as Dhruv gunship. Don't mix Rudra and this.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I know Rudra, Sandeep. I am mentioning LCH itself and not Rudra. Trust me, there's a lot of difference to both than just appearance. Look at the above picture of LCH and look at this:

I am absolutely in love with LCH design and stuff but the point of a gunship is to be able to carry significant weapons payload. Light is fine but let's see this; looking at the rate of fire those rockets launch at, how many minutes do you think LCH would stay in the warzone before having to return and resupply.?

I am not referring to Rudra; The LCH-- the gunship that came out of Dhruv is informally known as Dhruv gunship. Don't mix Rudra and this.

Contemporary designs does not include the Ka-52, AH 64 nor the Mi 28N....the ones to be compared with LCH would be the EC Tiger, The AW-129 Mangusta. These are the light class attack helicopters.

AW 129 Mangusta

EC Tiger

Last edited:

sandeepdg

Man, now you are comparing apples to oranges ! You are comparing the KA-52 with the LCH ?

LCH is a light combat helicopter. But its weapon capabilities matches most dedicated gunships used all over the world.

I will specifically tell you how:

Agusta A-129:

Max. Takeoff weight: 4600 kg

Eurocopter Tiger:

Max. Takeoff weight: 6000 kg

TAI/AgustaWestland T-129:

Max. Takeoff weight: 5000 kg

LCH:

Max. Takeoff weight: 5700 kg

Due to better design and slightly higher take off weight of the Eurocopter, it can a better range of missiles than LCH. LCH is designed to carry 8 ATGMs (Helina) and two rocket pods, other than the 20mm turret. That's more than enough for helicopter of its size.

Last edited:

sandeepdg

Now, lets look at the LCH:

It can be easily converted to this payload carrying mode like in this AH-1 Cobra:

Last edited:

indian_sukhoi

Will a heavy Gunship with more payload be capable to fly in High terrain, Mi-35s didn't!!

I would rather prefer a Helicopter with limited payload and support for couple of minutes than a Heavy Gunship which doesn't fly at all.

We didnt used the Mi-35s in Kargil War because they cant fly to high. The terrain had limited the Armed forces capability, Losses would been reduced if he had right machines. HAL developed LCH according to the requirements of the Army. Even the Second prototype is improved with substantial weight reductions in it.

We did issued RFI for Heavy Gunships, The Apaches are said to be selected for that role. They would be mostly operational deployment somewhere in Rajasthan deserts against Pak armored divisions.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Will a heavy Gunship with more payload be capable to fly in High terrain, Mi-35s didn't!!
Don't compare the Krokodil here. The same reason why I didn't show Mi-35 for comparisons. What's the weapons load-per-pylon that LCH is having compared to Panther, AH-1Z Cobra or the gunships in same class? That's what is needed to increase so as to augment.

indian_sukhoi

Don't compare the Krokodil here. The same reason why I didn't show Mi-35 for comparisons. What's the weapons load-per-pylon that LCH is having compared to Panther, AH-1Z Cobra or the gunships in same class? That's what is needed to increase so as to augment.
Your right,.........I agree with u on that. The LCH payload is very less compared to AH-1Z Cobra

I dont know whether that weapons payload of LCH is enough. But in Battlefield, Attack Helicopters tended to fight in Groups. There will be squadron of Helicopter units engaging Multiple targets with network-centric data-linking operations to the other airborne platforms and ground stations. Not to forget, They will be a second squadron in reserve armed and ready to launch if necessary has replacements.

Iam actually more concern about the LCH EW and RWR. Attack Helicopters would face a lot of trouble from even MANPADS fire. Helicopters can be useful in the attack role, but in situations where Enemy forces have considerable AA, the helicopters generally either haven't been used, or have proven ineffective.

The LCH is still under flight trials and there is not much info on its Capabilities and EW suites. LCH could still carry four Helina ATMs and 10-20 rockets, which is quite enough.

Last edited:

sandeepdg

Payloads are more or less equal for LCH and Cobra, A-129 etc.

Per pylon weapon load of AH-1Z Cobra:

1) 70mm rockets. 7-19 per pylon.

2) Upto 4 TOW missiles.

Per pylon weapons load of A-129:

1) 4 Hellfire missiles/ 4 TOW missiles/ 4 AIM-92 missiles/ 4 Mistral A2A missiles.

2) 70 mm or 81mm rocket pod

3) A 12.7mm machine gun pod can also be added in place of the rocket pod.

Per Pylon weapons load of the Tiger:

1) 4 Hellfire missiles/ 2 Mistral A2A missiles

2) 68mm rocket pod.

3) 20mm machine cannon in a pod.

The variety of weapons carries by these helicopters is much more than those for the LCH. Hence it makes them more versatile. Due to the advanced design of the Tiger and higher max take-off weight, its appears to have the most lethal weapons load and huge variety of missiles, since 4 different countries (Germany, Spain, France and Australia) are all using different versions with different weapons load for each.

But even the LCH can easily have a per pylon payload of :

1) 4 Helina missiles (or whichever substitute there can be)

2) 60mm/80mm rockets

3) 2 A2A missiles.

This is more than sufficient for anti-armor roles.

Last edited:

balai_c

I think the point we keep forgetting is the goal for which the LCH was built. LCH was built with the explicit purpose of warfighting in the himalayas. This is something no other helicopters can accomplish with such grace. What is the use of a huge weapons loadout, when you cannot reach the theatre with a reasonable loadout?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lch

LCH is dedicated attack helo, It is deigned as per Indian conditions..
Useful load: 2950 kg (6503 lb)

Super Cobra AH-1Z Viper:
Useful load: 5,764 lb (2,620 kg)

LCH is deigned to operate over thar to kargil and drass, also over Arunachal heights, It can carry other types of Rocket pods use over MI-35, Helena is not same as hellfire, Its longer coz of its longer range which is said to be 20kms in recent aero-india 2011..

Over all LCH is better helo next to Apache for Indian needs..

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
A-129 Mangusta:

See the size of three-barreled electric Gatling gun, God damn it!!!!! And you call it lightweight! I wonder what the HELL are those rounds above the gun used for it?

On wikipedia I found out the muzzle velocity of that M197 Gatling gun on it to be 1050m/s. That means 1 km/s! Can anyone kindly explain about its rounds rate of fire and this huge muzzle velocity?

p2prada

See the size of three-barreled electric Gatling gun, God damn it!!!!! And you call it lightweight! I wonder what the HELL are those rounds above the gun used for it?

On wikipedia I found out the muzzle velocity of that M197 Gatling gun on it to be 1050m/s. That means 1 km/s! Can anyone kindly explain about its rounds rate of fire and this huge muzzle velocity?
Nothing great in this. Check specs for GAU-8/A on A-10 or even MKIs Gsh-301 cannons. Those bullets make the 20mm look like pellets. The LCH will have the French made M621 and is in the same class as the M197.

Apache's M230, 30mm. With a guy next to it you can compare the size of the bullets.

^^^^
Light weight rounds here. :p

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles