HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I hope HAL is able to use bluedome on LCH, it will help IA when they are hunting for terrorist who infiltrated in J&K.
:eek1: LCH, the helicopter made for battleground against terrorists? For what? Destroying houses entirely where they are hidden?
I guess ALH is enough for that. :D

charlie

Country flag
:eek1: LCH, the helicopter made for battleground against terrorists? For what? Destroying houses entirely where they are hidden?
I guess ALH is enough for that. :D
It's will mostly be used in Anti terror operation rather then war, like Israel uses their apache and cobras for anti-terror operation.
Watch from 6:25
the above video is from CBS who are bunch of num nuts, can't find the documentary where they showed in detail how they use helicopters in anti-terror operation.

Watch from 5.10 how ALH is used to drop troops to do a sweep for terrorist in forward areas covered with forest.

LCH can do better because it has armour for protection from small arms. Search, see and engage terrorist in much better way then any other platform, and hopefully that will reduce the number of casualties on our side.

It's was designed for war but mostly will be used for Anti-terror.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
It's will mostly be used in Anti terror operation rather then war, like Israel uses their apache and cobras for anti-terror operation.
the above video is from CBS who are bunch of num nuts, can't find the documentary where they showed in detail how they use helicopters in anti-terror operation.

Watch from 5.10 how ALH is used to drop troops to do a sweep for terrorist in forward areas covered with forest.

LCH can do better because it has armour for protection from small arms. Search, see and engage terrorist in much better way then other platform, and hopefully that will reduce the number of casualties on our side.
Bringing LCH to fight here's separatist muzzies is like using a machine gun for fist fight. :D

delta

Country flag
what's the purpose of the LOH?

also, are we investing in building small helicopters like Little Birds?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
what's the purpose of the LOH?

also, are we investing in building small helicopters like Little Birds?
Light Observation Helicopter.
Obviously, it's for surveillance.
What was loh has now become luh. There wont be any fantail version of luh
Well, it's schedule is written to be after 2020, so we must not say anything too soon.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Light Observation Helicopter.
Obviously, it's for surveillance.

Well, it's schedule is written to be after 2020, so we must not say anything too soon.
I pretty ceratain the LOH is the LUH, the early models were labelled "LOH" and had a fantail but the design evolved with a conventional tail rotor. If there are plans for a fantail it shouldn't be too hard to add on at a later stage for specific user requests. The design that currently stands is optimised for IA and IAF use at high elevevations.

abingdonboy

Country flag

LCH can do better because it has armour for protection from small arms. Search, see and engage terrorist in much better way then any other platform, and hopefully that will reduce the number of casualties on our side.

It's was designed for war but mostly will be used for Anti-terror.
Every time there is a new system (Apache, LCH and armed HTT-40 on the horizon there is this kind of talk but what has stopped the employment of such tactics to date has NOT been a lack of such assets but the DOCTRINE of the Indian armed forces ie the "minimal force" approach- they do not employ airpower on Indian soil. Having 100000 LCH would not change this, to date the Mi-35s have been there this entire time but how many times have they been called in for COIN ops or deployed to the Valley?

+ comparing the Israeli tactics to the Indina COIN doctrine is rather flawed in itself- the Israelis pull down the house of the family members of suspected terrorists, India's approach is far more "softly, softly" and about "wining hearts and minds".

charlie

Country flag
Every time there is a new system (Apache, LCH and armed HTT-40 on the horizon there is this kind of talk but what has stopped the employment of such tactics to date has NOT been a lack of such assets but the DOCTRINE of the Indian armed forces ie the "minimal force" approach- they do not employ airpower on Indian soil. Having 100000 LCH would not change this, to date the Mi-35s have been there this entire time but how many times have they been called in for COIN ops or deployed to the Valley?

+ comparing the Israeli tactics to the Indina COIN doctrine is rather flawed in itself- the Israelis pull down the house of the family members of suspected terrorists, India's approach is far more "softly, softly" and about "wining hearts and minds".
I assume M 35 was not capable of using in forward areas of J&K(north side not sure about eastern J&K around rajouri sector) and to some extent it's not fesible either because of the maintinance required on it. (would turn out pretty expensive to deploy it as well the number of platform available is also less)

Same with Apache would not be feasible would turn out to be quiet expensive to use for COIN in J & K

I am not saying it will used in populated areas, I was hinting it towards the jungle and border areas

ALH is already used to drop troops for COIN operation and pretty soon you will see LCH too being used. Till then we just have to wait and see.

garg_bharat

Country flag
@chartlie, the best aircraft for COIN is HPT-32 which is grounded by IAF. This aircraft can be given to BSF and CRPF.

But I think India does not want to use aircrafts in COIN.

Other option developing now is armed-UAV which may be used in COIN.

Small size UAV is much better as COIN operations is mostly observation but little shooting.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I pretty ceratain the LOH is the LUH, the early models were labelled "LOH" and had a fantail but the design evolved with a conventional tail rotor. If there are plans for a fantail it shouldn't be too hard to add on at a later stage for specific user requests. The design that currently stands is optimised for IA and IAF use at high elevevations.
Obviously, on Wikipedia, LOH is written as a derivative of LUH.
You cut my point and said that correct again. :p

abingdonboy

Country flag
I assume M 35 was not capable of using in forward areas of J&K(north side not sure about eastern J&K around rajouri sector) and to some extent it's not fesible either because of the maintinance required on it. (would turn out pretty expensive to deploy it as well the number of platform available is also less)

Same with Apache would not be feasible would turn out to be quiet expensive to use for COIN in J & K

I am not saying it will used in populated areas, I was hinting it towards the jungle and border areas

ALH is already used to drop troops for COIN operation and pretty soon you will see LCH too being used. Till then we just have to wait and see.
It has nothing to do with costs, it is entirely about doctrine. The ONLY use for the LCH in JK would be as ISR asset primarily because of its EO ball but then the Mi-35s have those and were not employed in JK and now ALHs are getting EO balls fitted to them and UAVs are being employed to a greater degree so it makes little sense to employ a gunship purely for its EO ball and under utilise to such an extent.

If you want to see Iraq-war like footage of LCHs engaging piggies with their 20mm chin-mounted guns then you are going to be left disappointed. The Indian Military/security forces' COIN doctrine focuses on a minimal use of force and an attempt to capture terrorists alive- this is true across the board. In 26/11 once the hostages were evacuated the NSG were aiming to capture as many terrorists as possible alive and this is often why many get frustrated at the length of certain operations but as the IA will tell you- it's better to cordon them off, try and wear them down with the hope of capturing them alive so as to make them squeal and gain valuble informaton rather than needlessly risk the lives of their soldiers.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Obviously, on Wikipedia, LOH is written as a derivative of LUH.
You cut my point and said that correct again. :p
Haha, actually my friend I have said it may be a possibility to have a derivative model with that tail fitted at some point in the future but it is also possible that the fantail was in the orginal design but as the design process evoloved the conventional tail was agreed upon in lieu of any other design.

MKM

Country flag
Was there any comparison between LCH & other attack helicopters around the world?
Specially Eurocopter Tiger.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles