HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

ladder

Country flag
India to deliver two choppers by Thursday

Meanwhile, India has prepared to deliver two ALH (Advance Light Helicopter) to the Nepal Army by Thursday as per the agreements signed in last April in India.
According to NA sources, the choppers will be handed over to Nepal Army in the Indian town of Gorakhpur and NA pilots will fly them to Kathmandu.
The Indian made ALH helicopters are utility choppers developed and manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in 1984.

The ALH was designed with the assistance of German technology to meet the requirements of both military and civil operators and was first exported to Nepal and Israel after it was manufactured.

According to the agreement, an India technical team will provide 45-day training to the Nepal Army to use the chopper.

However the government is yet to decide whether to purchase the helicopters on loan or to return them to India if they do not meet the expectations.
According to the Nepal Army, the government will take formal decision after the trial flights.

Similarly, the Embassy of India, Kathmandu will donate 716 vehicles to the Ministry of Home Affairs, the Nepal Police and the APF amid a ceremony in Singh Durbar, Kathmandu on Tuesday as part of its support for the election.
CoAS Rana wraps up nationwide visit MYREPUBLICA.com - News in Nepal: Fast, Full & Factual, POLITICAL AFFAIRS, BUSINESS & ECONOMY, SOCIAL AFFAIRS, LIFESTYLE, SPORTS, OPINION, INTERVIEW, INTERNATIONAL, THE WEEK news in English in Nepal

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
This one was under Buy sell agreement or Just a Donation

According to SIPRI they received 3 Dhruv's at low cost atleast 70% is aid at earlier 2004

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Saab SA to develop self-protection system for international customer

SGD has received two orders from Hindustan Aeronautic Limited, in India, to produce an integrated electronic warfare self-protection system.

Swedish/South African defence and security company Saab Grintek Defence (SGD) has received two orders from Hindustan Aeronautic Limited (HAL),India, for serial production of an integrated electronic warfare self-protection system.

The system, which will be installed on the Indian Army and Air Force's Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv, will be developed and produced at Saab South Africa's headquarters, in Centurion (Saab Grintek Defence), and has a total value of approximately R335 million ($33 million).

Saab's Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS) protects crew and aircraft and enhances the survivability in sophisticated, diverse and dense threat environments. The system provides a timely warning against different types of threats, including radar, laser and missile approach warning; and automatically deploys the appropriate countermeasures.

"Saab has an unbeaten capability in the field of electronic warfare and self-protection. The IDAS system is one of our flagship products sold to customers around the world," says Micael Johansson, Senior Vice-President and Head of Saab's business area Electronic Defence Systems.

Commenting on the development of the integrated system at Saab's South African base, CEO Magnus Lewis-Olsson said: "Saab in South Africa fulfils an important mandate on the African continent and beyond, by delivering an impressive range of South African electronic warfare technology. Up to 90% of these systems are being designed and produced in Saab Grintek Defence facilities in South Africa– and we are proud to deliver on this important contract."

These orders follow initial serial production orders received in 2008 and further established Saab as a local partner to the Indian industry, and provider of hi-tech products and systems to the Indian Armed Forces.

"With these orders, we continue to build on our very successful partnership with HAL. The fact that HAL and the armed forces have continued to show faith in the IDAS system is a testimony of the effectiveness and reliability of the solution," says Lars-Olof Lindgren, head of Market Area Saab India.

Deliveries are scheduled to commence in 2014. Development and production of the IDAS system will take place at Saab in Centurion, South Africa (Saab Grintek Defence).

The system has a long and successful history with proven capability on many airborne platforms such as the Saab 2000, Agusta-Westland A109, Super Lynx 300, Boeing CH-47 Chinook, Denel Rooivalk and Oryx, Eurocopter Cougar, Puma & Super Puma, NH Industries NH90, C-130 and L100 Hercules, Sukhoi Su-30MKM.

Deliveries are ongoing for the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv.

Saab SA to develop self-protection system for international customer | DefenceWeb

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
130 delivered till aero India 2013. About number of orders, not sure, a CAG audit of 2009 showed that original schedule was to produce 296 choppers by 2009, which means this is the minimum number we should be looking at.
132(Indian Armed Forces) + 12(Civil Operators) as of october

159 confirmed + 80 Expected

Total = 383

Not sure Foreign sales and aids are included . Also not sure any Rudra numbers included .

Helicopter Dhruv clocks 1,00,000 flying hours | NDTV.com
HAL would be the third largest producer of light military helicopters by 2020

Defcon 1

Country flag
132(Indian Armed Forces) + 12(Civil Operators) as of october

159 confirmed + 80 Expected

Total = 383

Not sure Foreign sales and aids are included . Also not sure any Rudra numbers included .

Helicopter Dhruv clocks 1,00,000 flying hours | NDTV.com
HAL would be the third largest producer of light military helicopters by 2020
There is no confirmation on whether the 159 ordered includes the 132 delivered or not. All HAL ever said was that Order book for Dhruv is of 159 helis.

WMD

This is my personal Data Collection

According to my data collection, Total number of Dhruv's in service = 152, Total on order = 421.

Note: Certain operators have more than 1 Dhruv, since I have no reliable data available to me so I took it to be 1.

Source: Internet.
Can you pls post the references(links) for numbers of Rudra inducted(both IA and IAF).

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
This is my personal Data Collection

According to my data collection, Total number of Dhruv's in service = 152, Total on order = 421.

Note: Certain operators have more than 1 Dhruv, since I have no reliable data available to me so I took it to be 1.

Source: Internet.

I checked the SIPRI

The Nepalese Received

2 HAL Dhruv on 2004 $12-18 m deal (incl 70% as aid); armed version

1 HAL Dhruv on 2005 Aid; probably armed version

So the Nepal should have three Dhruvs as of Now

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Can you pls post the references(links) for numbers of Rudra inducted(both IA and IAF).
The first indigenously-developed weaponised helicopter 'Rudra' was on Friday handed over to the Army, which has successfully raised an attack chopper fleet on its own.
Indian Army gets its first indigenously-made Rudra attack chopper | Deccan Chronicle

first of 38 armed helicopters being delivered to the AAC, with 16 more to be supplied to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by 2016-17
Aero India 2013: First Rudra attack helo delivered to Indian Army - IHS Jane's 360

Currently, HAL has orders for 76 Rudras, 60 for the Army and 16 for the Indian Air Force. Rajan said that the helicopters would be delivered by 2016-17.
Army to induct armed version of Dhruv

No direct link is available, but if we look at the respective news from various sources then we can easily conclude that the induction period of Rudra is from 2013 to 2016-2017 i.e. almost 3-4 years which means around more or less 20 helicopter/year for Army and 4 helicopter/year for Air Force as initial order for them is 60 and 16 respectively.

mehrotraprince

Country flag
I checked the SIPRI

The Nepalese Received

2 HAL Dhruv on 2004 $12-18 m deal (incl 70% as aid); armed version

1 HAL Dhruv on 2005 Aid; probably armed version

So the Nepal should have three Dhruvs as of Now
Yes you are right, now I will update my data.
I am waiting for more helpful hands to correct me so that we can have more accurate figures.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Yes you are right, now I will update my data.
I am waiting for more helpful hands to correct me so that we can have more accurate figures.
Currently, more than 132 Dhruv helicopters are serving the Indian Defence Forces. HAL has also built 12 civil variant Dhruv helicopters and they are being used by its customers. The Ecuador Air Force operates six Dhruv helicopters with their President choosing to fly in them.
India's first indigenous chopper ALH-Dhruv clocks one lakh flying hours - Economic Times

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
There is no confirmation on whether the 159 ordered includes the 132 delivered or not. All HAL ever said was that Order book for Dhruv is of 159 helis.
Few Links indicate the 159 as exclusive to already delivered 76
By June 2008, 76 helicopters had been delivered to the army and air force with 159 more on order.
Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) - Army Technology

In the domestic market, about 80 utility variants of Dhruv are in operation with the three services, Coast Guard and a couple of corporate firms.

"We have orders to supply 159 more Dhruvs from IAF and army over the next two-three years, with indigenous Shakti engines. We will be manufacturing utility as well as military variants for the three services," Baweja added.
HAL bets on more overseas orders for Dhruv choppers | TwoCircles.net

Some say the total order for Indian army alone is 159

However, the Indian Army Chief recently indicated that the army is satisfied with the Dhruv ALH and is going for 159 choppers.
Production of Dhruv ALH for Indian Army Gets Rolling At HAL - Defence Now
And this link says Army's WSI order as 76

HAL Rudra (ALH WSI) Attack Helicopter - Army Technology

This 159 figure must be for Dhruv with Shathi Engines , since we have ordered exactly 318 of them .

original AIN Online link is dead now . But the contents can be seen here
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Equipment/Aircraft/214-HAL-Dhruv.html

Defcon 1

Country flag
Does anyone know which atgm we will see on Rudra? I expected it to be HELINA but LCH is supposed to be equipped with French anti tank missiles till HELINA is ready. That puts HELINA induction date post 2015. If that is true, then why is Rudra being given IOC in two phases specifically to accommodate the atgm? I mean if they are planning to get a foreign atgm, get it already, why the wait?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
It is high time the HAL asks IAF to service Mig-21s , 29s in their base repair depots along with Pliatus and concentrate on becoming a system integrator for Dhurv , Su-30 MKI and Tejas with sub assemblies manufacturing delegated to indian private and public sector giants.

It is the only way HAL can clear the huge order book and make india aeronautic exporter,

This will do justice to the decades of time and money invested in HAL by GOI and escape from the sobriquet of ,"killer of trainee IAF pilots" bestowed upon it by IAF.

mehrotraprince

Country flag
2 Dhruv choppers from India arrive in poll-bound Nepal

Two 'Dhruv' Advanced Light Helicopters have arrived from India to enhance the airlift capability of the Nepal Army for the smooth conduct of tomorrow's Constituent Assembly elections.

The helicopters have been provided by India on a loan-basis on a request by Nepal, according to a press release by the Indian Embassy here.

The helicopters have been loaned to Nepal Army for a period of 45 days, the embassy said.

The choppers took off from a Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) facility on November 14 and reached Kathmandu the next day, the embassy said.

A 15-member technical team has also been dispatched to Kathmandu to carry out necessary maintenance works of the choppers.

Four Nepal Army pilots were also provided with training in HAL,Hyderabad for operating the helicopters.

Earlier this month, India handed over 40 double cabin pick-up trucks, five jeeps and three mini-trucks to Nepal's Election Commission.

India has also donated another 716 vehicles to Nepal's Home Ministry for use by security agencies during the polls.

2 Dhruv choppers from India arrive in poll-bound Nepal | idrw.org

ninja85

Re: INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

----------------------- Not needed ---------------------------

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Re: INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

will this guy ever shut the f@#K picking up on every nooks and bits he could finds.
Navy plans to ditch Dhruv helicopters - Hindustan Times

this is very old news from 2008.

current news is,

Navy commissions Dhruv | Business Standard

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: Finally, Navy too commissions Dhruv Sqn

he squadron would have the name Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 322. Addressing the commissioning ceremony parade, Vice Admiral Sinha said that in the Navy, Dhruv helicopters has transformed into an advanced search and rescue (SAR) helicopter also used for missions like heliborne operations, and armed patrol with night vision devices. Such machines in the inventory have become imperative for the Navy given the scenario of low intensity maritime operations (LIMO) and coastal security construct said the Admiral.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles