Games you played as kids

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
May be these days since the economy boomed and more options became available for kids to play, but when i was in school, we played stuff that was improvised and some age old stuff.

For one, we played hand tennis. Improvised version of lawn tennis since rackets were pretty expensive then and out of reach for most of us. We drew "courts" in the mud in proportionate size and we were good to go.

We played "lagori", the one where we keep seven stones and break it with a ball and the idea is to build it back up and not get hit but the rival team with the ball.

Gilli Danda to a certain extent though not a lot. Flew kites.

And yes cricket, right from book cricket to galli cricket to go on to represent my school for 7 years.

I am sure many of my age and older would have played something or the other like this.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Buy a plastic ball of 5rs. Gather on ground, some 8-10 boys. Strike each other's back with that ball. Don't know if you guys played it or not & what you called it. We used to call is Dhappakutti ! It was kind of violent but fun game :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Buy a plastic ball of 5rs. Gather on ground, some 8-10 boys. Strike each other's back with that ball. Don't know if you guys played it or not & what you called it. We used to call is Dhappakutti ! It was kind of violent but fun game :)
Oh yes, we played that.. but more violent.. we played either rubber or tennis ball. Really hurt.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
We called it Maram-pitti(fitting) and played it with Tenis balls(heavy ones) this game sucked, everyone used to gang up on me :(

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We called it Maram-pitti(fitting) and played it with Tenis balls(heavy ones) this game sucked, everyone used to gang up on me :(
lol Even we used to have such ganging fights which used to end up in principal's cabin :p

In primary we used to play with plastic ball, it got replaced with rubber/tennis ball as we grew older.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
We played "lagori", the one where we keep seven stones and break it with a ball and the idea is to build it back up and not get hit but the rival team with the ball.
we used to call that pithu

eyes-pise (not too sure about the name now): used ti play when we were very small. everyone other than one used to run away and hide. the one left would sight the others, call out the name loud and would have to touch a stone (or something). if others hiding would touch the stone before being caught then this person supposed to catch would have to again go though it, else the first person caught would have to catch the others.

dont recall the name of this one: 2 teams. both used to hide, you sight one person of the opposing team, you would call out the name and say "name and dead". the team left with one or more in the end would win.

cricket with a hand knit ball out of cloth and what a bounce the ball used to have, then came the hard plastic balls and then of course the leather balls. we used to have winter closing sessions which meant 3months break, so used to play quite a few tournaments.

tried my hands at gilli danda, kanche (marbles), then there used to be this metal ring that one would run with and balance with a metal stick.

soccer, man really used to get bruised legs.

then there were basketball and badminton, two games along with cricket i would absolutely love to play.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh, forgot the eternal Hide and Seek!!!

Then we also played that girly game (when we were actually quite little) where your drew boxes on the ground and numbered it 1-8 and threw a stone which had to land in the box serial wise and you hopped to and fro on one leg.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
yes yes lol

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
kanche (marbles),
I remember that one. Silly game. Guys used to have competition about who has largest collection of kanche. I collected hundreads of them and stacked them in jars which I used to keep beside my bed, like someone is going to eat them :lol:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
There used to a 1 Rupee per coin arcade machine, we used to play Mustafa and Tekken, Gon costed more, I believe)
Also, Super Mario, Contra......

numbered it 1-8 and threw a stone which had to land in the box serial wise and you hopped to and fro on one leg.
Girls play this game,its called Steppu.

Oh, I forgot to mention Trump Cards.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
dont recall the name of this one: 2 teams. both used to hide, you sight one person of the opposing team, you would call out the name and say "name and dead". the team left with one or more in the end would win.
Vish Amrit.

Param

Kanche, Pitthu, Maram-Pitti(with plastic ball),gulli danda, an improvised street version of cricket called Bat Ball, fly kites, chor pulis,trump cards.
We also used to play with small paper cards having the pictures of WWF wrestlers, very simple game.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
what was that?
You know, wrestler playing cards distributed b/w two guys mentioning the stats, the one with higher stat wins.
Like, British Bulldog had 50' chest and Bam Bam Bigolo had 52' so Brtitish bulldog would lose if this attribute is called out and the card would be taken from the holder, the one with zero cards at the end loses.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
You know, wrestler playing cards distributed b/w two guys mentioning the stats, the one with higher stat wins.
Like, British Bulldog had 50' chest and Bam Bam Bigolo had 52' so Brtitish bulldog would lose if this attribute is called out and the card would be taken from the holder, the one with zero cards at the end loses.
ok never played that. never flew the kites as well.

pmaitra

Games I played as a kid:
  • Football.
  • Playing Police-Thief with a Leo M-16.
  • Chess.
  • Ludo.
  • Carrom.
  • Monopoly.
  • Chinese Checkers.

Last edited:

Oracle

Cricket, TT, Badminton, Carrom, Chess, Cards, mostly outdoor games.

GK shhh'd me that he played 'doctor-doctor' in his childhood.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles