Failed Terrorist State of Pakistan: Idiotic Musings

IBSA

Country flag
Pakistani counterterrorism funds spent on luxury gifts
AFP | Jan 23, 2014, 11.18 PM IST

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani officials used a secret counterterrorism fund to buy wedding gifts, luxury carpets and gold jewellery for relatives of ministers and visiting dignitaries, according to documents seen by AFP.

The revelations cast a spotlight on high-level corruption in Pakistan as the impoverished but nuclear-armed country battles a surge in Taliban violence.

They concern the National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) of Pakistan's interior ministry, formed in 2000 to coordinate between the country's intelligence agencies and federal and provincial governments on national security matters.

The US and other Western countries have poured billions of dollars into Pakistan since the 9/11 attacks of 2001 to help in its fight against Taliban and al-Qaida linked militants.

The NCMC received some 425 million rupees ($4.3 million) from Pakistani government coffers from 2009-2013, according to files obtained by Umar Cheema, an investigative journalist for Pakistani daily News, and seen by AFP.

During that time the interior ministry was headed by Rehman Malik, a flamboyant loyalist of former president Asif Ali Zardari's Pakistan People's Party (PPP).

Many of the documents deal with payments to intelligence sources, routine maintenance of vehicles and overtime for employees.

But the files also include receipts for gifts for US and British embassy officials, as well as flowers and sweets for journalists.

One receipt for 70,000 rupees ($700) is itemized as a "Pair of wrist watches for marriage of nephew of minister for interior".

The documents show that on a trip to Rome for an Interpol conference in November 2012, Malik took a necklace, wooden tables and a TouchMate tablet computer as gifts.

The counter-terror fund was also used to buy three rugs as wedding gifts for the son of former prime minister Raja Pervez Ashraf early last year.

A set of 21-carat gold jewellery worth $3,000 was bought for one unnamed individual, while another was the recipient of a $1,500 set.

A handicrafts store in Islamabad was paid some $23,000 in December 2012 for carpets and crafts given to local officials and delegations from the EU, Iran and India.

Among the more bizarre items paid for from the fund was the $800 cost of four sacrificial goats, plus butchery costs — listed as "stabbing charges" — for the festival of Eid-ul-Adha.

Alms to the poor and donations of sweets, flowers, and cash to a local Sufi saint were also made from the fund in 2012, the documents show.

Pakistan's present government, led by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, has ordered an audit of the interior ministry accounts from 2010-2013.

Ministry spokesman Danyal Gilani confirmed the audit was ongoing but declined to indicate a timeframe for its completion.

The director general of the NCMC, Tariq Lodhi, did not respond to repeated attempts to seek comment.

Upon coming to power in June last year, Sharif's government abolished secret funds in 16 ministries in an effort to curb corruption and rein in spending.

Malik, who as minister was famed for his expensive ties and purple hair-dye, mounted a firm defence of his conduct on Twitter, denying he had used the fund and saying it was "never under the control of the minister".

Asked why some receipts contained hand-written instructions saying they were the minister's directives, Malik told AFP: "You know how Pakistan works. Just because it mentions me does not mean I personally authorized the payments."

In a tweet, he said using funds to entertain dignitaries and offer gifts was "routine for 15 yrs".

But Moinuddin Haider, who served as interior minister from 1999 to 2002, said the NCMC fund was not set up to pay for "gifts abroad".

"The purpose of these funds was to establish offices in the provinces, primarily to be spent on communications equipment and data analysis," he told AFP.

Cheema, who won the Daniel Pearl journalism fellowship in 2008, said the affair was indicative of how officials had turned the national terror crisis, which has killed thousands of people across the country since 2007, to their own benefit.

"This abuse clearly explains how our leaders convert a tragedy into an opportunity for personal gains," he said.

"If history is any guide it's not going to be resolved nor will the abolition of secret funds lead to any corrective measures."

Ayesha Siddiqa, a security analyst, termed the use of the funds "sad", but said a lack of clear counterterrorism policy direction by successive governments was also to blame, as well as the way Pakistan's bureaucracy works.

"There is also this problem with the government where if a department gets funds you're in a hurry to spend them, because if the funds lapse they will be deducted the next year and the department will be reprimanded," she said.

Pakistani counterterrorism funds spent on luxury gifts - The Times of India

tramp

Did anybody ever wonder why army/bureaucracy/politicos of Pakistan never want the terror mill to stop?

Pakistani counterterrorism funds spent on luxury gifts
AFP | Jan 23, 2014, 11.18 PM IST

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani officials used a secret counterterrorism fund to buy wedding gifts, luxury carpets and gold jewellery for relatives of ministers and visiting dignitaries, according to documents seen by AFP.

The revelations cast a spotlight on high-level corruption in Pakistan as the impoverished but nuclear-armed country battles a surge in Taliban violence.

Pakistani counterterrorism funds spent on luxury gifts - The Times of India

Blackwater

Some azad pakistan on ----- forum

PIA could have bought 60 IL-96 ,had they really cared about any finances or knew how to manage funds, with capacity of 300-486 passengers depending on configuration!!

PIA could have bought 7, IL-96 for Price of just 1 Boeing 777 ER plane.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PIA has operational fleet of 9 Boeing 777 ER planes lets assume cost

320 Million x 9 = 2.8 Billion Dollars !!!
PIA could have bought 60 IL-96, all paid for !! planes with same amount of money instead of 9 planes that bring only losses

60 Brand new planes vs 6 owned planes and 3 leased Boeing 777 ER

this madarsa educated paki thinks pakistan bought B777:lol::lol:

they are 2nd hand emirates and etihad planes given to pakis in the name of islam either free or soft lease:cool2::cool2:

bennedose

With Gwadar in the south already with PLA Navy, Gilgit-Baltistan in the hands of Chinese contractors protected by PLA and now the whole power infrastructure to be under the Chinese... what would be left of the lone Muslim nuclear power?
180 million grass eaters?

bennedose

PIA could have bought 60 IL-96 ,had they really cared about any finances or knew how to manage funds, with capacity of 300-486 passengers depending on configuration!!
This statement assumes that PIA was actually interested in passenger capacity and service. They are not. They are interested only in the bribe money when orders are placed.

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
Komal Nahta with Iman Ali - YouTube

Pakistani actress Iman Ali desperately wants Indians to watch her film, Bol. lol

I am speculating here but I think I am correct when I say that Paki actors/actresses are jealous of their Indian counterparts cause the Indian actors are more famous than the Paki actors in Pakistan whereas nobody knows the names of the Paki actors in India.

Can someone shed some more light on this particular topic?

Jealousy stems from the fact that the PCB is a virtual bi*** of the BCCI.

Jealousy stems from the fact that Pakis have to travel to India for medical treatment whereas nobody from India wants to visit that shithole.

Jealousy stems from the fact that India is a polio free country whereas Pakistan will never be Polio free.

Jealousy stems from the fact that India won all the wars we fought against each other despite the fact that the Pakis started each one of them.

Anyone care to add more???

Blackwater

some pak.i bunty8591 on baki forum

Turkey and Pakistan share lot many things in common. Social, cultural, history and civil military rifts. Both countries were members of RCD. After that no such attempts were made for any sort of close ties. Both countries could lot many things from each other, if they join hands.

:confused::confused::pound::pound:

Blackwater

some salman on baki forum

RAWALPINDI, Jan 27 (APP): Federal Minister for Defence Production , Rana Tanveer Hussain will reach Istanbul on an official visit of Turkey on Tuesday to enhance exports of Pakistani defence equipment and products.After reaching Istanbul, he will visit defence industries of Turkey and hold a meeting with Turkish Undersecretary for Defence Industry.The Minister, who is visiting Turkey on the invitation of Minister for National Defence Turkey, Ismet Yilmaz, will pay a visit to the mausoleum of Ataturk and proceed for the Ministry of National Defence Turkey after reaching Istanbul.During the visit, the Minister will be visiting the defence industries of Turkey and meet Murad Bayer, Undersecretary for Defence Industry Turkey.
Rana Tanveer Hussain accepted the invitation as part of plan to enhance exports of Pakistani defence equipment and products.
The Minister during his visit to the Turkish defence industries will not only look for areas of joint production but will also offer some of the state of the art products produced at the Pakistan defence industries.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Rana Tanveer visits Turkey to enhance Pak defence equipment export

pak exports to turkey of defence equippments:pound::pound::pound:

Blackwater

some hussian 0216

It will be T-129 with TOT

The tot will help with unit cost & will give us vital insight on how to build and maintain such platforms

For Pakistan I think 100 is a minimum we require

If the U.S however gives us vipers under the aid bill free then thats tough to refuse

Blackwater

some khaqan humayu

We use to follow Turks when they were our Khalif........ Worldly advancement does not means that we follow that they do. Pakistan can do many thing without following culture of anyone accept Islam follow modernization and advancement of products not only weapons all the technology but don't go to follow Culture what Turkey did they did not only follow modernization of things they also adopt culture of non Muslim............... When Muslims were in power non Muslim did follow our culture they did copy our technology.

:pound::pound::pound::pound:

Last edited:

kseeker

Retired
some khaqan humayu

We use to follow Turks when they were our Khalif........ Worldly advancement does not means that we follow that they do. Pakistan can do many thing without following culture of anyone accept Islam follow modernization and advancement of products not only weapons all the technology but don't go to follow Culture what Turkey did they did not only follow modernization of things they also adopt culture of non Muslim............... When Muslims were in power non Muslim did follow our culture they did copy our technology.

:pound::pound::pound::pound:
And I am THE Chengis Khan the great!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Isloo boys, lion cubs in Lahore and a tale of lunacy

The triad of sociopathy refers to three behavioural characteristics that are associated with violent tendencies including murder and aggressive sexual behaviour. These characteristics include fire-setting, violence towards animals and bedwetting.

A combination of any two is considered a sign for worry.

Then there is compensation, a strategy whereby people cover up for their shortcomings, real or perceived, by excelling in other areas of life. This, in itself is quite normal. Children keep playing different sports till they find one they are good at and the ones who are subpar at all of them will usually end up burying themselves in books and getting good grades.

Then there is overcompensation, a strategy whereby people cover up for their shortcomings, real or perceived, by aspiring for wealth, power and influence. Many people with this problem have a desire to show off their wealth in classless ways, such as announcing the price of a new high-end accessory or fishing for compliments for the same.

You know them.

They're the ones who leave price tags on expensive shoes, show you the label of the designer they're wearing or flash that gaudy new watch or ring in your face in an attempt to blind you.

They are also the ones who must own big cars so that they can cover the dangerous and rugged terrain of Lahore and Karachi. Or maybe it is just because the psychology of physically sitting at a higher elevation than 'commoners'.

Why else would city folk race after a category of vehicle that is highly-polluting, has poor road performance and are usually no more aesthetically attractive than the average tank?

I think I answered my own question.

More on topic, an amateur video made in Lahore's Safari Park shows what seems to be a group of Isloo boys – judging by their Sport Utility Vehicle's (SUV) licence plate – with chips on their respective shoulders large enough to affect their posture and a car big enough to compensate for their shortcomings.

These big strong men in their big bad SUV (NG-8) must have noticed that no one is cowering before them in the neighbouring sedans and coupes, so they went and put on a show to establish their class. Long story short, the young men drove off the path in the safari park and towards a group of lion cubs.

Once there, possibly offended by the fact that the lions didn't rise to attention upon the sight of them, they tried to scare the young lions, and at a point appear to hit one, because torturing animals is a joyous activity — for budding sociopaths.

Unfortunately, because of the angle of the video, I cannot confirm if the mudguard a cub is playing with fell off the car before or after the cub was attacked, but maybe the action was revenge against the cub that ripped the mudguard off.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Stupid animal. That'll teach him to react playfully when a big shiny thing comes and parks itself next to it.

I wonder how they react when the young of other species react to their big shiny toys the same way. If a puppy were to bite their toes, would they kick it, hit it with a car or try to teach it not to?

As a bespectacled person, I know young children are fascinated by eyeglasses. Maybe they deserve a slap when they try to snatch them of my face. Or maybe they deserve a simple "Noooo!" backed up with a wagging finger and possibly a kiss on the head if they listen, because they are too young to know better.

But then how will they know that I am a big, strong 'manly' man?

One day they will, because when they grow up, they will see characteristics worthy of respect in the person who refused to strike them, such as simply being kind to others, with others including all life — two-legged, four-legged, three-legged, one-legged, eight-legged or no legged.

On a separate note, violence is still treated as a spectacle in much of our society. Dogfights, cockfights and other such 'sports' have rabid following. The sight of an animal being slaughtered draws large crowds of blood enthusiasts. Even bomb sites and plane crashes draw 'spectators' who inspect the carnage and behave as if they are in an amusement park.

I have personally slaughtered animals and later cooked them. They were delicious. But that doesn't mean that I was full of joy while killing them. Each time, I felt sorry for them and had to remind myself to make sure death was as painless for them as possible, because even if they were 'future food', at the time, they were living, breathing creatures.

But maybe that is just because I have a soul.

As for the NG-8's passengers, if you know them, make sure they do not like setting fires.

Also, if their beds have a suspicious, dank smell, run.

Isloo boys, lion cubs in Lahore and a tale of lunacy – The Express Tribune Blog

Ignorance: Pakistani men torture lion cubs at Lahore Safari Park on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;85087733]http://vimeo.com/85087733[/video]

Global Defence

New threads

Articles