F-INSAS Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Any chance we might get the DragonSkin ???
First we should know..

1. Is Dragon Skin operational within US forces, If so how is the operational preformance ?

2. What is the Unit price, Based on that we may decide to equipped the Whole Infantry or a Single SF unit..

We can get Dragon Skin, Only if the Above terms are clarified by the company..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I am really interested to know what part of FINSAS is being made by TATA Defence Systems. If TATA can pull this one, then it can easily enter the big defence leagues and foreign companies would be thronging to partner with the company. Can't wait to see TATA rival Boeing's standards someday and I won't be surprised if it does.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

F-INSAS prototype ?
There's nothing "futuristic" in this prototype mate. Except for Kevlar helmet and BP, all is pretty normal stuff including the camo pattern. FINSAS is to see the soldier capable of fighting the war of 20 years later as well. This is certainly not that. The prototype maybe of stage 1 where all the outdated equipment of every common foot soldier in IA is removed and replaced with this model: basic decent protection against conventional weapons.

We need something like what the US model has. And with private firms (and their foreign partnerships like BAE) it is likely that we might get the serious FINSAS development in time.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

sir can you tell me what so normal about the things circle in red thanks.
Boss we are talking about "futuristic" development. This sort of stuff is already in use with the European and Western armies right now if you care to look at the NATO armament. Our plant is to fill this generation gap and skip ahead parallel to the NATO forces level of equipment like we did in aircraft making--- from 2G to 4.5G direct jump.

I agree that some of the communication and net-centric equipment is new and is a good start, but you see some wires. The aim should to make this as wireless as possible using some sort of secure Bluetooth network or something that can only be used by IA soldiers. Also we are looking for a multi-caliber weapon that is nowhere in sight.

The protection also is not seemingly enough as you will see that joints (elbows, knees) and forelimbs have limited protection. The Kevlar helmet is like of present NATO standard good enough but if we are looking at the future soldier programme, we need finer helmets that cover the entire head/face region and yet are light, hi-tech and durable from at least 5.56 mm fire. At least that's what some of Kunal's posts are indicative of showing NATO/Korean etc concepts of future armor protection.

But if this is the F-INSAS program, then it should be called P-INSAS because till now the gear that IA was using was of Past; now it will move to present world standard (I mean standard of significant world power countries).

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

This is great, know its just an indigenous rifle I want to see..

This is by BEL BTW..

Last edited:

Anshu Attri

Country flag
Soon, Indian soldiers may don sci-fi gear

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Soon-Indian-soldiers-may-don-sci-fi-gear/articleshow/7536643.cms

Indian soldiers armed with hand-held computers or wrist-band display units, "smart" vests packed with sensors, integrated ballistic helmets with "heads-up display", miniature radio and GPS systems and, of course, deadly firepower with laser-guided modular weapon systems. Seems straight out of a sci-fi film? It may, at this point in time.

But, away from the razzmatazz of acquiring fighter jets, submarines and missiles, India is also now finally looking to equip its humble foot-soldiers with advanced weaponry and gadgets for the conflicts of future.

The defence ministry has now floated a global RFI (request for information) for procuring " integrated computer and communication systems (ICCS)" for infantry soldiers, who constitute well over one-third of the 1.13-million strong Army.

This is in keeping with the eventual aim to gradually transform soldiers into high-tech, networked, self-contained killing machines under the Army's overall F-INSAS (future infantry soldier as a system) plan, cost of which will run into thousands of crores.

Though the plan was to implement F-INSAS across all the 359 infantry battalions by 2020, it has suffered from some delays. "But it's on the right track. First, we will carry out systems development and integration, followed by user-trials by two infantry brigades. Finally, the F-INSAS project will be fielded for the entire infantry," said a senior officer.

Army chief General V K Singh himself has identified "transformation into an agile, lethal and networked force, which is capability-based to meet the future challenges", as one of his top-priority areas.

Under the ICCS, infantry battalions will be equipped with "soldier-wearable" computers, radios and GPS, backed by central power pack modules and battle-load carrier vests.

The computer module, for instance, will include data terminals for senior commanders, portable planning boards for commanders and wrist displays for soldiers. This will ensure soldiers are able to receive, store and transmit complex voice, data and video signals for advanced "situational awareness".

"ICCS must have the ability to accept and present real-time information provided by C4I (command, control, communication, computer and intelligence) tools," says the RFI.

"Soldiers should have the ability to exchange pertinent information up and laterally across the chain of command under all environmental and climatic conditions," it adds.

All these taken together will bolster the soldier's "lethality, survivability, sustainability, mobility and situational awareness" in the digitised battlefield. There are even plans to also equip each infantry section of 10-12 soldiers with a "robotic mule", which apart from helping them carry additional load will also be mounted with remotely-activated weapon systems for concentrated firepower.

Read more: Soon, Indian soldiers may don sci-fi gear - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...fi-gear/articleshow/7536643.cms#ixzz1EacGQFgB

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
is drdo/tata participating in that global rfi?what is their contribution in the finsas programme?also i would like to see splinter proof eye glasses for finsas

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
robotic "mule"? Why not a robot carrier?

jatkshatriya

robotic "mule"? Why not a robot carrier?
A robotic Mule will do the job of a robotic carrier only......lets see if we use a wheeled version or a real Quadrapedal version that the US is testing

jatkshatriya

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

sir can you tell me what so normal about the things circle in red thanks.
Well Saya Sir I agree the communition system is there which is good, but theres nothing radically modern in the rest of the gear, in 10 years time western country soldiers will have exo skeletons, active camouflage (atleast) and God knows what, and then again we will be lagging behind them as we are now....Indian System seriously needs to improve otherwise this Gap wont be narrowing ..and theres only one way of doing it....Privatisation....TATA and MAHINDRA shud be roped in and Govt Agencies and Institutions shud work with their labs for a few years so that a base is developed, and then competition shud be pitched among only Indian companies and not Global, that is the only way things will improve

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As i said before, They need to redesign Helmet, Al least the Communication system under the helmet..

Bullet Proof with multi-purpose Vest is needed..

Clothes with elbow and knee pad under uniform..

Also to have a lighter version of Anti-roit suit modified for combat use..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think the above suit in the pictire may be suitable for future requirements of paramilitary units like crpf,ssb,rpf but certainly not army not even the bsf or itbp

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I agree - "F"-INSAS should be much more advanced - Futuristic Camo, including metamaterials and lighter, stronger bulletproof vests, helmets, more sophisticated HUDS, fully wireless electronics and comm gear and a lighter, stronger Bullpup Rifle - not to mention better night vision and anti-bio/chem warfare kits. The stuff shown in the picts look like 1980s US Army surplus.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

not FINSAS but close to it by indian company

PRODUCTS
Integrated Modern Soldier

Helmet Mounted Night Sights Integrated with LRF
Laser Target Designator
Hand Held Data Radio with GPS
Data Link with Higher HQ
Rapid Fire Light Weight Rifle

Rifle Mounted Aiming Night Sights