F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

StealthFlanker

Country flag
Even without the RAM on outer skin surface, and without leading edge and trailing edge treatment, the F-35 model is able to achieve the median RCS value of only 0.06 m2 in X-band, increased only to 0.13 m2 in L-band. The external AIM-9X along with pylon seem to have negligible effect on the total overall RCS of F-35

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
F-35 with open weopon bays, I like the design of the weopon bays on the F-22 more though in comparison to the F-35's due to F-22's weopon bays being more "boxy" unlike the F-35's curvey bay. The F-35 has two internal weapons bays with four weapons stations.

F-35-with-open-weapons-bays.jpg

wpid-img_21156667134215.jpeg

johnj

F-35 with open weopon bays, I like the design of the weopon bays on the F-22 more though in comparison to the F-35's due to F-22's weopon bays being more "boxy" unlike the F-35's curvey bay. The F-35 has two internal weapons bays with four weapons stations.

View attachment 173139

F 35 IWB can carry heavier bomb/missile than f 22 iwb. F 22 can carry 450 kg bomb/missile & f35 can carry 1100 kg bomb/missile in single IWB station.

Super Flanker

Country flag
F 35 IWB can carry heavier bomb/missile than f 22 iwb. F 22 can carry 450 kg bomb/missile & f35 can carry 1100 kg bomb/missile in single IWB station.
I have not seen any figures for what is the maximum weight that the F-22 can carry in its Internal weopons bay so I don't know whether it can carry more or carry less than the F-35, the F-35 according to several published sources is said to have maximum capacity of 5000lbs internally. I am unable to find sources for the same in the case of F-22.

johnj

I have not seen any figures for what is the maximum weight that the F-22 can carry in its Internal weopons bay so I don't know whether it can carry more or carry less than the F-35, the F-35 according to several published sources is said to have maximum capacity of 5000lbs internally. I am unable to find sources for the same in the case of F-22.
I'm not talking about maximum capacity, but weight of a single weapon[not weapons]. Difference is huge.
It is in wiki, still you need proof , f35 can carry 2 amraam in single station and f22 can't.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I'm not talking about maximum capacity, but weight of a single weapon[not weapons]. Difference is huge.
It is in wiki, still you need proof , f35 can carry 2 amraam in single station and f22 can't.
Can you please quote the info from Wikipedia in which it is mentioned that F-35 can carry two AMRAAM in single pylon of its internal weopons bay? F-35 right now is having four pylons in it's Internal weopon bays, so it is having four weopon stations and it can carry four AMRAAMs in it's Internal bays so one AMRAAM can be carried by each of the pylon. This is the first time I am hearing that F-35 can carry two AMRAAMs on single pylon, like I said before, please show me where it is written in Wikipedia.

Super Flanker

Country flag
A small correction which I would like to make in my previous post about the F-35's maximum internal payload, the F-35 can carry a maximum payload of 5700lbs and not 5000lbs as I had quoted before.

johnj

Can you please quote the info from Wikipedia in which it is mentioned that F-35 can carry two AMRAAM in single pylon of its internal weopons bay? F-35 right now is having four pylons in it's Internal weopon bays, so it is having four weopon stations and it can carry four AMRAAMs in it's Internal bays so one AMRAAM can be carried by each of the pylon. This is the first time I am hearing that F-35 can carry two AMRAAMs on single pylon, like I said before, please show me where it is written in Wikipedia.
Not from wiki, but from LM site. This thread also contain info Sidekick rail or google Sidekick rail or block 4 upgrades

Super Flanker

Country flag
Not from wiki, but from LM site. This thread also contain info Sidekick rail or google Sidekick rail or block 4 upgrades
Yes I have heard of this concept called Sidekick associated with the F-35, it basically allows the F-35 to carry two more additional missile like AIM-120 in its Internal weopon bays which in total allows the F-35 to carry three missiles in each weopon bay instead of the normal capacity of only two in each bay. In short with Sidekick, F-35 can have 50 Percent increase in internal weopon payload. Sidekick is not compatible with F-35B Unfortunately because F-35B is having smaller weopon bays. Not sure about it's status, it is not there on any operational F-35 though as far as I know, we can expect this in block 4 upgrade of F-35.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Photos of F-35's wind tunnel models. I would like to note here that All of these pics shared y me are old photos though.
WT-military-performance-gallery8_rqg9k4.jpg
1024px-F-35_Wind_Tunnel_Model.jpg
060101-D-1111A-016.JPG
640px-F-35_Scale_Model_Aerodynamic_testing.jpg

Fonck83

Country flag

blackjack

Country flag
its like whats the point in trying to shill 5th gen aircrafts anymore, risk of crashing, big money on fuel and maintenance. Its like the Ukraine war might lower interests in general for any aircrafts, cant beat a 20,000 dollar drone to make that is cheaper than the SAMs getting fired at it and causes big explosions, along with 1,500 lancet drones being ordered. Future orders starting from today will be interesting for any kind of aircrafts.

TheFlyingAce

Country flag
Future F-35 Operator Switzerland had an F-35 on display at their annual live firing event in the swiss mountains:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles