Early Retirement in India

airtel

Country flag
Last edited:

captscooby81

Country flag
Cost of living comparison between pondicherry and paris below for you ..

Well there is hardly any traffic not comparable like what we face in metros like delhi mumbai or chennai ..pondicherry is basically a town a capital of Union territory its very small place less crowded .you can buy those small hatchback like Tata Tiago and drive it peacefully without a worry in Pondicherry....

With 600-700 Euros you can easily live a comfortable middle class life ...

Majority people in pondicherry live in less than 300 Euros monthly ...

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...y2=Pondicherry&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Pondicherry traffic is bad like the big cities what? Having the freedom to hop in my car is a big deal. Uber would have to be like dirt cheap.

Berkut

Country flag
Like many Australians my parents considered retiring in Bali. They explored the place n liked it a lot. But the only apprehension was that Indonesia is a "pieceful" country. Bali though is overwhelmingly dharmic n a breath of fresh air.

My parents finally retired back in Calcutta after spending many years in Aust/NZ.
I was against it, considering WB is so unstable under the mad didi's rule. But parents have their roots there and Calcutta is dirt cheap. They bought in a "Hi fi" society (by Calcutta standards) n renovated the place.
They are very happy as they make use of India's favorable location for travel (Dubai shopping festival, Jaipur Lit Fest, Shopping in Hong Kong... Air Asia ki jai ho!!!) and spend the Indian summers here in NZ with us.
I have come to the conclusion that the only way to retire in luxury and retire by my late 40s (My boy will be mid way through uni by then) is either retiring in India or in one of the South East Asian countries. One of my colleagues of Brit descent,his parents from the UK have retired in Goa(apparently a hotbed for EU retirees!).
I absolutely love Goa and think it will be a great spot to retire ( although I have only visited once in 2012)

Choosing a favorable retirement spot is the number 1 search item on my browser.

I am super keen to hear all your thoughts and the research you may have done.

Last edited:

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Like many Australians my parents considered retiring in Bali. They explored the place n liked it a lot. But the only apprehension was that Indonesia is a "pieceful" country. Bali though is overwhelmingly dharmic n a breath of fresh air.

My parents finally retired back in Calcutta after spending many years in Aust/NZ.
I was against it, considering WB is so unstable under the mad didi's rule. But parents have their roots there and Calcutta is dirt cheap. They bought in a "Hi fi" society (by Calcutta standards) n renovated the place.
They are very happy as they make use of India's favorable location for travel (Dubai shopping festival, Jaipur Lit Fest, Shopping in Hong Kong... Air Asia ki jai ho!!!) and spend the Indian summers here in NZ with us.
I have come to the conclusion that the only way to retire in luxury and retire by my late 40s (My boy will be mid way through uni by then) is either retiring in India or in one of the South East Asian countries. One of my colleagues of Brit descent,his parents from the UK have retired in Goa(apparently a hotbed for EU retirees!).
I absolutely love Goa and think it will be a great spot to retire ( although I have only visited once in 2012)

My options are limited to Punjab for religious/cultural reasons. But have heard lots of Indians heading to Singapore.

@Krusty is probably a good resource.

Berkut

Country flag
My options are limited to Punjab for religious/cultural reasons. But have heard lots of Indians heading to Singapore.

@Krusty is probably a good resource.
Where in Punjab sirjee? Is it because you want to return back to your roots? I absolutely love Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula but real estate prices there can rival any western nation.
what about the cost of living though?
My ideal retirement will include traveling within India or globally at least twice or thrice a year. Spending the remaining time in dharmic works like sewa at a Mandir Gurudwara and attending satsangs, contributing to society in any which way possible.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Where in Punjab sirjee? Is it because you want to return back to your roots? I absolutely love Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula but real estate prices there can rival any western nation.
Between Panchkula and Amritsar. I love Chandigarh as well and spent a substantial part of my childhood there and already own a flat in Panchkula. However, Amritsar is attractive to me because of family roots.

Yes, it is because of my roots. Would love to get baptized as a Sikh and not be stared at because I'm wearing a turban.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
I can give up French citizenship and still get my money but I would lose my access to healthcare. I plan on flying back to France or one of her territories if I get sick.
Just marry an indian and get OCI.That should be enough.

I am curious why a Frenchman is so interested in settling in India.So much so that you are willing to give up your french passport.

What is FFL by the way?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

Berkut

Country flag
Shipping it is probably a no go as a tourist. Driving in India is very different compared to Western countries. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the car for now. Uber and Ola are plentiful and it is easy to get a cab on demand.

Check this out for the budget

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Pondicherry
Totally second that. In India you have plentiful options such that you never need to own your own vehicle. My parents only use Uber n Ola in Calcutta. They do their groceries over the phone and the stuff gets delivered to your door step.
When they did feel adventurous and wanted to drive (on a trip to Gujrat, hence better managed traffic and infinitely better roads) they simply hired a self driven car.
Speaking of Gujrat, any non Gujratis thinking of retiring there?
Ahmedabad is quite impressive. What is the status of the GIFT city? The website looks very nice

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

The first comparison was Bali v Thailand. Bali gets you more house for the money but the infrastructure of Thailand is better. Safety goes to Thailand as there is huge crime elements just south of Bali. My first taste of India was in Kerala where my teachers aid/ girlfriend came from. Infrastructure was not the best but it was peaceful and safe. I lived in GZ China and it isn't as cheap as I was told. The apartments have no insulation or duct work and the drywall is toxic. If you want a middle class Western lifestyle, you are paying the price and your health is going to suffer. I just feel more comfortable retiring in a country where English is an official language. It is easy to get by in India just speaking English.

Berkut

Country flag
The first comparison was Bali v Thailand. Bali gets you more house for the money but the infrastructure of Thailand is better. Safety goes to Thailand as there is huge crime elements just south of Bali. My first taste of India was in Kerala where my teachers aid/ girlfriend came from. Infrastructure was not the best but it was peaceful and safe. I lived in GZ China and it isn't as cheap as I was told. The apartments have no insulation or duct work and the drywall is toxic. If you want a middle class Western lifestyle, you are paying the price and your health is going to suffer. I just feel more comfortable retiring in a country where English is an official language. It is easy to get by in India just speaking English.
Do explore Goa as well. I am hearing from a lot my friends(EU expats) that Goa is becoming quite the retirement location for the EU types.
Which parts of Thailand did you focus on?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Do explore Goa as well. I am hearing from a lot my friends(EU expats) that Goa is becoming quite the retirement location for the EU types.
Which parts of Thailand did you focus on?
Goa isn't cheap though thanks to all those expats and tourists. The prices in Pondicherry look much more manageable. I only have €1000 with the possibility of adding €800 if I work. I have a friend who is principle of an English school in Rayong Thailand, just came back from his wedding. The roads are nice and wide alleviating traffic congestion. The accommodations are spartan but you get what you pay for.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles