DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Master Chief

Country flag
Amazing 25 years after making this the workhorse cruise missile in all the branches; India has not completely indiginized yet?? I do not believe one word of this.
I think India already has an indigenous liquid ramjet for Brahmos.. and hence Russia was in no position to deny Brahmos sale to philippines, inspite of Russia's close ties to China.. It was probably India telling Russia, we either sell Brahmos with indigenous engine to Philippines, or you can agree to the sale with Russian engine , and receive your cut..

Country flag
I think India already has an indigenous liquid ramjet for Brahmos.. and hence Russia was in no position to deny Brahmos sale to philippines, inspite of Russia's close ties to China.. It was probably India telling Russia, we either sell Brahmos with indigenous engine to Philippines, or you can agree to the sale with Russian engine , and receive your cut..
Does the indigenous engine bring the missile price down???

NutCracker

Country flag
I think SMART would be most useful in giving strike power to unmanned systems, which can get sonobuoys et cetera but dont usually carry torpedos.
Carrying harpoons on Poseidon will surely take toll on airframe/design built for civillian purpose. Hence it will reduce lifespan of handful ones we have.

So even p8i will mostly perform surveillance only. SMART will come handy with all platforms. It's very ingenious innovation.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Carrying harpoons on Poseidon will surely take toll on airplane built for civillian purpose. Hence it will reduce lifespan of handful ones we have.

So even p8i will mostly perform surveillance only. SMART will come handy with all platforms. It's very ingenious innovation.
somewhat true but poseidon's airframe is strengthened to haul equipment and arms

btw my pov would be that let say p8i fired all 4 torpedos and even then it has another 2-4 hrs of surveylence time left then it would be better to have it in air than to land refill restock then fly again detect a sub give info to smart's data link then destroy them

Master Chief

Country flag
Does the indigenous engine bring the missile price down???
Well..even if the indigenous engine costs less than the Russian one.. it would still probably increase the price of the rocket, as we might have to shell out some money to Russia..
I think we have to develop a new Brahmos equivalent to avoid paying Russia Royalty..

Master Chief

Country flag
somewhat true but poseidon's airframe is strengthened to haul equipment and arms

btw my pov would be that let say p8i fired all 4 torpedos and even then it has another 2-4 hrs of surveylence time left then it would be better to have it in air than to land refill restock then fly again detect a sub give info to smart's data link then destroy them
SMART will work where Poseidon can't fly due to enemy Naval air defense.
SMART torpedoes can hit PLA Destroyers as well. If Chinku Armada ever tries to cross Malacca strait during war.. we can saturate with SMART and air launched brahmos with little risk to our own fleet.. This is a low risk strategy of Denial.. We should try to sell this to US too, so that SMART can help hem in Chinku subs and Armada inside the First Island Chain choke points..

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Carrying harpoons on Poseidon will surely take toll on airframe/design built for civillian purpose. Hence it will reduce lifespan of handful ones we have.

I doubt that, plane has mtow of ~90 tons, 2-3 torpedos weighing 700 kgs total will hardly affect it. Also why Harpoons? Both p8i and SMART are optimised for ASW, with secondary role only for anti ship.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Well..even if the indigenous engine costs less than the Russian one.. it would still probably increase the price of the rocket, as we might have to shell out some money to Russia..
I think we have to develop a new Brahmos equivalent to avoid paying Russia Royalty..
we are developing the star i dont have any doubt that we would make a missile out of that tech

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
SMART torpedoes can hit PLA Destroyers as well. If Chinku Armada ever tries to cross Malacca strait during war.. we can saturate with SMART and air launched brahmos with little risk to our own fleet.. This is a low risk strategy of Denial.. We should try to sell this to US too, so that SMART can help hem in Chinku subs and Armada inside the First Island Chain choke points..
true hope we see a version for warships too imagine a cruise missile of similar kind which fly low and release the torpedo some 10-5km from the ship and the torpedo gonna take care of the ship

Master Chief

Country flag
I doubt that, plane has mtow of ~90 tons, 2-3 torpedos weighing 700 kgs total will hardly affect it. Also why Harpoons? Both p8i and SMART are optimised for ASW, with secondary role only for anti ship.
It's 200 kg Shyena light weight torpedo that SMART carries.. I think we should build a bigger missile with higher range, able to carry 1.5 ton Varunastra with a 50 km range.. to blow up PLA capital ships..

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Nice concept...😀
yeah only problem is dropping mechanism but drdo is pro in that
It's 200 kg Shyena light weight torpedo that SMART carries.. I think we should build a bigger missile with higher range, able to carry 1.5 ton Varunastra with a 50 km range.. to blow up PLA capital ships..
i think 300-450km range would be good and hell varunastra carries a big big warhead i dont wanna be at the ship being targeted by it

jai jaganath

Country flag
USA already has it
Check rum-139
It carries mk 54 torpedo

Master Chief

Country flag
USA already has it
Check rum-139
It carries mk 54 torpedo
RUM-139 has a range of just 22 km.. The rocket, the velocities involved, deployment and release of the torpedo are all very different in SMART.. SMART rocket has a range of 700 km.. True range might be higher..
Wikipedia says US had a similar program which was cancelled: UUM-125 Sea Lance

jai jaganath

Country flag
RUM-139 has a range of just 22 km.. The rocket, the velocities involved, deployment and release of the torpedo are all very different in SMART.. SMART rocket has a range of 700 km.. True range might be higher..
Wikipedia says US had a similar program which was cancelled: UUM-125 Sea Lance
Yeah it's just a rocket and torpedo is fitted to it in a casing
It's derived from previous gen arsoc
Anyways ig they will incorporate it in p-18 destroyers
Anyone has info regarding its dimensions and weight
Although similar to pralay they would be significant differences too

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles