Advaidhya Tiwari

Here's my idea of how the Stratospheric Airship should be designed/used:

Endurance : 2 to 5 years
Power : Solar panels
Payload : 400-500 kgs
Num. req : ~250

PAYLOAD:

- PESA radars from Su-30MKI
Once Super Sukhois get new AESA radars, the existing radars could be fitted onto the Airships. The weight of the radar can be reduced from its current 400 kgs to around 250kgs simply by changing all the heavy metallic fixtures to some really light & not-so-strong fixtures. Current radar is designed to withstand upwards of 10g forces, whereas the Airship will barely encounter around 1/20 of it at the max.
The radar can provide 360 degree air-to-air (400kms range!) , air-to-sea & also ground mapping via SAR. To lower power consumption, it could operate in intermittent fashion - 100ms ON, 100 ms OFF(say)!

-Day and night/thermal camera with 50kms range

-ELINT/SIGINT

250 of these can cover the entire border (land & sea) and provide 24/7 long distance coverage, with very little operational cost!! And since they'll be at 20 kms altitude, no anti aircraft missile can take it down!!
UTTAM AESA radar weighs about 100kg. So, there are options which are lighter than 250kg Su30 AESA radar. Also, just the 250kg radar is insufficient. We also need processor to process the data to make sense out of it. That will add weight. So, it is better to go for UTTAM AESA itself.

There are some problems with these airships:
  1. Helium needs to be refilled every month as Helium doe not stay fully contained. Some leakage from the pores of the fabric happens and can't be avoided. So, when the helium pressure decreases, it will have to be reloaded
  2. The power needed to sustain AESA radar is also high - 5kW for UTTAM AESA with processors. Transmitting it to ground station will also need power. If solar panels have to be used, the weight will become excessive. Also, solar will not work for night or low daylight scenario
  3. Fuel to keep it afloat and going in the right direction will also add extra weight.
Overall, the tethered aerostat at 1km altitude is the best option. The tether can include power cables, data cable as well as helium refilling tubes to keep them afloat for long duration of time and give reasonable coverage of the events across the border. They can serve as mini-AEWACS to look after cruise missile or close airborne threats upto a range of 40km for stealth platforms and 100km for non stealth ones while also acting as a SAR radar to scan the ground activities upto 15km from border

Enquirer

Always fun to debate on hypothetical and interesting ideas :) :)
Overall, the tethered aerostat at 1km altitude is the best option. The tether can include power cables, data cable as well as helium refilling tubes to keep them afloat for long duration of time and give reasonable coverage of the events across the border. They can serve as mini-AEWACS to look after cruise missile or close airborne threats upto a range of 40km for stealth platforms and 100km for non stealth ones while also acting as a SAR radar to scan the ground activities upto 15km from border
Tethered aerostat 1km operational altitude is 'above sea level' (at least for Nakshatra); so in the region of Kashmir, they're quite useless.
Assuming that they can operate 1km above 'ground level', still the coverage is minimal. Stratospheric Airships (at 20km altitude) will offer about 500 kms distance coverage!

Also, tethered Aerostats at 1km altitude will be easy targets for the enemy (by merely using anti-aircraft guns!)
Stratospheric Airships will be out of reach of almost all anti-aircraft missiles!

Helium needs to be refilled every month as Helium doe not stay fully contained. Some leakage from the pores of the fabric happens and can't be avoided. So, when the helium pressure decreases, it will have to be reloaded
Fabric that's completely leak proof will be used. It's already done! No need for any maintenance for years!

The power needed to sustain AESA radar is also high - 5kW for UTTAM AESA with processors. Transmitting it to ground station will also need power.
I already mentioned that the power consumption needs to be decreased by reducing the duty cycle. Normal operations send continuous spurts of radiation (especially in the tracking mode) - none of that is required. Radar can operate in search mode only (as the Airship is not going to fire any missiles!).

If solar panels have to be used, the weight will become excessive. Also, solar will not work for night or low daylight scenari
Nope! A tethered aerostat will need to bear the weight of the tether which is 325kgs/km!
That weight will be substituted by lightweight-thin solar film & high energy density lithium-ion batteries!

Also, solar will not work for night or low daylight scenari
Duh! Of course there will be batteries!!

Fuel to keep it afloat and going in the right direction will also add extra weight
No fuel is required. Battery operated & battery charged by solar panels! Electric fans will steer the Airship in position, when confronted with winds!

UTTAM AESA radar weighs about 100kg. So, there are options which are lighter than 250kg Su30 AESA radar. Also, just the 250kg radar is insufficient. We also need processor to process the data to make sense out of it. That will add weight. So, it is better to go for UTTAM AESA itself
Firstly a radar system weight includes the processors & power supply!
Secondly, the a 400 km search range Uttam doesn't exist (even a 150km range doesn't exist as yet, it'll probably take another 2-4 years for maturation) & probably won't for another 8 years at the least!
Lastly (and most importantly) there's no sanity in spending extra billions in building domestic radars when ~300 high powered radars will become available (to sit in a warehouse) for which all money is paid up! That money can be better spent in other areas!

BTW....I did want to add in most of these details earlier itself by editing, but I was off the 30 min mark!

Last edited:

Advaidhya Tiwari

Tethered aerostat 1km operational altitude is 'above sea level'; so in the region of Kashmir, they're quite useless.
Assuming that they can operate 1km above 'ground level', still the coverage is minimal. Stratospheric Airships (at 20km altitude) will offer about 500 kms distance coverage!

Also, tethered Aerostats at 1km altitude will be easy targets for the enemy (by merely using anti-aircraft guns!)
Stratospheric Airships will be out of reach of almost all anti-aircraft missiles!
500km coverage will be greater than AEWACS You must have that 2-3 ton radar for this. Yes, 1km balloon is easy to be shot down but it still can be used in peacetime. One does not use such balloons in war time

Fabric that's completely leak proof will be used. It's already done! No need for any maintenance for years!
There is no leak proof fabric for helium or hydrogen. These atoms/molecules are too small to be contained. That is also the reason why hydrogen energy is not used. Hydrogen is not storable. Same with helium. I have done great amount of research on Hydrogen storage for several days on the net and could not find any practical solution. I did not check for Helium, but I don't see much of a difference between H2 and He.

I already mentioned that the power consumption needs to be decreased by reducing the duty cycle. Normal operations send continuous spurts of radiation (especially in the tracking mode) - none of that is required. Radar can operate in search mode only (as the Airship is not going to fire any missiles!).
Yes, but the power consumption will still be high. If you want clarity of data, you need to provide high enough power. The processor also needs to keep running which will consume additional power.

Nope! A tethered aerostat will bear need to bear the weight of the tether which is 325kgs/km!
That weight will be substituted by lightweight-thin solar film & high energy density lithium-ion batteries!
Thin film solar is not flexible to shape on balloons and shrink or expand with it. You will need a metal airship. Next, with tethering, the entire data can be directly transmitted without need for processor and hence there is weight savings on mission computers. Also, other computers to control motion isn't needed.

Lithium ion batteries and solar film is not practical at all as a result.

Firstly a radar system weight includes the processors & power supply!
Secondly, the a 400 km search range Uttam doesn't exist (even a 150km range doesn't exist as yet, it'll probably take another 2-4 years for maturation) & probably won't for another 8 years at the least!
Lastly (and most importantly) there's no sanity in spending extra billions in building domestic radars when ~300 high powered radars will become available (to sit in a warehouse) for which all money is paid up! That money can be better spent in other areas!
UTTAM will be in use in 2-4 years. India already has algorithm developing experience from Su30 BARS radar and hence the UUTAM is not a project from scratch. Only the AESA module is new. So, it is not a long time. Super Sukhoi will not come before that anyways.

Radars like UTTAM generally means the thing placed in radome of plane. Other backend is not considered. That thing is 100kg for UTTAM. Similar SAR radar will be used in Rustom-2 which will weigh 50kg.

Enquirer

500km coverage will be greater than AEWACS You must have that 2-3 ton radar for this. Yes, 1km balloon is easy to be shot down but it still can be used in peacetime. One does not use such balloons in war time
'Peacetime'? I thought you were talking about detecting Cruise missiles!!!
500 kms of physical 'visibility' from the altitude - not coverage due to a specific radar!

There is no leak proof fabric for helium or hydrogen. These atoms/molecules are too small to be contained. That is also the reason why hydrogen energy is not used. Hydrogen is not storable. Same with helium. I have done great amount of research on Hydrogen storage for several days on the net and could not find any practical solution. I did not check for Helium, but I don't see much of a difference between H2 and He.
'Several days' of net research seems quite authoritative & conclusive!!! :)

Instead of gallivanting on the net, you could have just clicked on the link I provided - such a system already exists in real life!

You spiel on Hydrogen/Helium is totally incorrect. Don't want to take this discussion on a tangent.

Yes, but the power consumption will still be high. If you want clarity of data, you need to provide high enough power. The processor also needs to keep running which will consume additional power.
As I said earlier the duty cycle can be reduced - without any reduction in the information gleaned!
Don't know what processor you're talking about!! On aircraft the data is instantly displayed to the pilot; no such thing is required in the Airship as such heavy-duty processing can be done at the ground station, while only some prelim processing involving raw voltages etc being done onboard!

Thin film solar is not flexible to shape on balloons and shrink or expand with it. You will need a metal airship. Next, with tethering, the entire data can be directly transmitted without need for processor and hence there is weight savings on mission computers. Also, other computers to control motion isn't needed.

Lithium ion batteries and solar film is not practical at all as a result.
Who cares about 'super flexibility". Have you seen the Aerostats/Airships? Their surface is not fluttering!. As long as the solar film can be made to conform to the shape of the Airshp (by gluing etc) it's mission accomplished.

You need to become better aware of latest tech - then you'll find the idea practical.

UTTAM will be in use in 2-4 years. India already has algorithm developing experience from Su30 BARS radar and hence the UUTAM is not a project from scratch. Only the AESA module is new. So, it is not a long time. Super Sukhoi will not come before that anyways.
Once again: Are you going to take a rolling pin on 150km range Uttam to produce a 400km range Uttam?

Radars like UTTAM generally means the thing placed in radome of plane. Other backend is not considered. That thing is 100kg for UTTAM. Similar SAR radar will be used in Rustom-2 which will weigh 50kg.
Utter BS! Radar system weight includes ALL system related weight! Rest assured, no one is steering a 400kg antennae in Su-30MKI!

Advaidhya Tiwari

Instead of gallivanting on the net, you could have just clicked on the link I provided - such a system already exists in real life!
That stratobus is yet yo be proven. If I am right, it will remain as a technology demonstrator but will not be feasible

Enquirer

That stratobus is yet yo be proven. If I am right, it will remain as a technology demonstrator but will not be feasible
Yeah! Right!
Thales in giving presentations on it in all defense expos - pity there wasn't any smart dude who did 'several days of Internet research' to slap that 'impracticality argument' in their face!
Their design is actually few years old. If they redesign they could make it even more awesome!!!

Enquirer

Yeah! Right!
Thales in giving presentations on it in all defense expos - pity there wasn't any smart dude who did 'several days of Internet research' to slap that 'impracticality argument' in their face!
Their design is actually few years old. If they redesign they could make it even more awesome!!!
The design is based on sound concepts of science & engineering.
Anyways dude, we'll chat again when DRDO implements the "Stratospheric Airship".
I am super excited about the future :)

Last edited:

Enquirer

Noticed that these two items got 'buried' in the previous post...

Once again: Are you going to take a rolling pin on 150km range Uttam to produce a 400km range Uttam?
Why would anyone throw away billion dollar worth radars & create new ones???

BS! Radar system weight includes ALL system related weight! Rest assured, no one is steering a 400kg antennae in Su-30MKI!

Prashant12

Country flag
Anti-submarine rocket developed by ARDE with extended range of 8.5km

Pune: The armament research and development establishment (ARDE) in association with the High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) has developed an extended range anti-submarine rocket (ASR) with a maximum range of 8.5km for the Indian Navy.
Both laboratories are under the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).

KM Rajan, the director of ARDE told TOI on Sunday, “We have recently demonstrated a new rocket technology to the Navy, who have issued a set of qualitative requirements to be achieved during our internal trials. We will be handing over the rocket to the Navy for their user trials after achieving the target of their qualitative requirements.”

Currently, the navy has vintage Russian rocket RGB-60 with a maximum range of 5.3km, which is an unguided area weapon for combating submarines. These rockets are fired from the RBU 6000 rocket launcher, which is fitted on-board certain Indian Naval Ships including the R-Class, Delhi Class and Talwar Class of Navy ships.

A senior DRDO scientist, who did not wish to be named, told TOI, “The Indian navy wants an extended range anti-submarine rocket which can engage an enemy’s submarine from a distance of 8km. Accordingly, a group of scientists worked on the project and developed the rocket according to the requirements of the navy. Now, we are working on the qualitative requirements that the Navy has prescribed.”

An anti-submarine officer of the Indian navy said, “Firing torpedoes to engage the enemy submarine is considered as a deliberate attack and it can be costly if the attack fails. Therefore, the rockets are mainly seen as an ‘urgent attack weapon’, which can be fired as a single or in salvo to disrupt the movement of the submarines. Therefore, the role of the rocket is as crucial as torpedoes.”

Considering the importance of the Indian Ocean Region and the increasing sighting of foreign submarines in the Indian Ocean, the officer said, it is need of the hour to have an extended range rocket which can engage hostile submarines from further away.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ended-range-of-8-5km/articleshow/65555007.cms

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Yes, I agree with this. DRDO's current air balloon has 14 day life before it needs refilling. So, these kind of permanent airships appear really out of the blue.

If Helium/Hydrogen storage was this easy, I would have been using hydrogen as fuel for all vehicles and replaced fossil fuel

surya kiran

Country flag
Yes, I agree with this. DRDO's current air balloon has 14 day life before it needs refilling. So, these kind of permanent airships appear really out of the blue.

If Helium/Hydrogen storage was this easy, I would have been using hydrogen as fuel for all vehicles and replaced fossil fuel
Below is the reply, I got from an American company who I was looking to partner with in 2010. I abandoned the project after sinking quite some money into it, purely because of bureaucracy and the nonsense regulations involving private players in defence at that time. As you can see, if you had the right tie-up enough help was available abroad. From my experience I can tell you, their colleges are light years ahead of our DRDO in this field. There are ways to logistically manage Helium. It requires something like a big truck which is custom made for the same.

The 138S meets all of your requirments you can get all the detail's on our
website , the capacity of the aiship is
such that it would provide for many other uses in India, in the past two
month we have had several enquiry's from your country and we have been
visited by some Indian government personel in the past. The price for the
FAA type certificate is USD 375,000.00, Including all building detailed
engineering drawing an all manuel's illustrated building,training and
others is all very complete our large inventory of parts including major
omponents is $150,000.00, we can provide a parts list.

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
LRDEs long range multi-function radar, got this pictures from Pork defense forum, can anyone help me to find out what exactly the purpose of this radar ,
7664723_1529663305975_jpeg3bebbedec167e5d2fdb4d872ba4bc0f4.jpg

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This is quite a list available from DRDO ready for ToT
===========
Category-A Technologies ready for ToT to Indian Industries for supply to Indian Armed Forces

Technology

LAB

No of License Available

Active Electronically Scanned Radar (AESAR) LRDE 04
ATDS-MAREECH NPOL 02
Mist Based Infrared Suppression System (MIST) NSTL 02
RPL Dosimeter Reader Mark-II DLJ 02
Compact Hull Mounted Sonar- ABHAY NPOL 03
High Power Radar LRDE 04
Combat Free Fall (CFF) ADRDE 05
Driver Night Sight for T-90 Tank IRDE 03
Process monitoring of vacuum assisted resin transfer moulding (VARTM) R&DE 05
Development of High Explosive Formulation having high shock insensitivity, high velocity of detonation and high blast effects for filling PCB warhead of PJ-10 (BrahMos) missile HEMRL 03
Small Turbo Fan Engine (STFE) GTRE 03
Border Surveillance System IRDE 03
Long Range Surveillance Equipment IRDE 03
Development of Electronic Power conditioner for X-band MPM for Compact Tracking Radar MTRDC 01
NBC Filter cartridge FCS DRDE 07
First Aid Kit- CW Type B Mark-II DRDE 07
First Aid Kit- CW Type A Mark-I DRDE 07
CBRN Gloves MKII DEBEL 10
CBRN Overboot MK II DEBEL 10
Plastic scintillator sensors (Rod and Sheet) DLJ 03
Food Radioactivity Contamination Monitoring System (FRCMS) DLJ 03
Mobile station for personnel monitoring (MSPM) system DLJ 05
Moisture Proof Packaging for Salt DFRL 10
Sea Dye Marker DFRL 10
Potable Sterilized Water pouches DFRL 10
Portable Diver Detection Sonar (PDDS) system NPOL 04
High Strength Aluminium Alloy Extrusions for the Manufacture of Hard Anodized Components for an Anti-tank Ammunition DMRL 03
Aluminium Alloy Armour Plates for Infantry Combat Vehicle/Armoured Vehicle DMRL 03
Aluminium-Copper-Manganese-Zirconium- Titanium-Vanadium Based AA2219 Alclad Sheets and Plates for Missile Applications DMRL 03
Aluminium-Zinc-Magnesium Based Alloy Sheets and Plates Having Desired Strength and High Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Resistance for Military Bridging System DMRL 03
Aluminium-Magnesium Based Alloy sheets and Plates for Superstructures in Naval Warship DMRL 03
Secure Execution Environment (SEE) CAIR 03
Fabrication of Composite Sonar Dome for P-15 class ship by Vaccum Assisted Resin Transfer moulding (VARTM) process R&DE 05
Coastal Surveillance Radar (CSR) LRDE 02
Electronics for Near-field Acoustic Characterization System NPOL 02
SELF PROPELLED MUNITION BURIER (SPMB) R&DE(E) 03
Fiber Optics Gyro based Sensor Package Unit (FSPU) RCI 02
Indium Activated Aluminium sacrificial Anode-NMR-IASA NMRL 04
Poly LIST dock block NMR-PLIST NMRL 04
Vibration and sound Isolation Tile (VISH) NMRL 04
Radar Absorbing Paint-NMR-RAP NMRL 04
Development of Gloves ECW (Modified) Outer & Gloves ECW Inner DMSRDE 07
Uprated 1000 hp engine CVRDE 02
Integrated Radar EW System - SHAKTI DLRL 01
NAYAN (COMINT) System DLRL 01
Mine Field Marking Equipment MK-II (MFME MK-II) R&D(E) 03
Mechanical Munition Layer - Self Propelled ( MML-SP) R&D(E) 03
Modern ESM System - Varuna DLRL 01
120mm High Explosive Squash Head Mark-I ARDE 03
120mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS) Mark-I ARDE 03
120mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot Mark-II ARDE 03
125mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot Practice Mark-I ARDE 03
81mm Anti Thermal Anti Laser Smoke Grenade HEMRL 03
Microwave Chaff Cartridge DLJ 03
Continuous wave single mode high power fiber laser LASTEC 02
Anti-Terrorist Vehicle (ATV)-Tracked VRDE 05
Air defence Tactical Control Radar (ADTCR) LRDE 01
Low level Transportable Radar ASHWANI (LLTR) LRDE 02
Medium Power Radar ARUDHARA (MPR) LRDE 01
Holographic Sight IRDE 10
Wet End Sub-Syatem of SONAR (ALTAS) NPOL 02
On-Board Electronics Sub-System OF SONAR (ALTAS) NPOL 02
Manual Resuscitator (Improved) DEBEL 05
Air Sterilization Unit DEBEL 05
Novel Haemostatic formulation DEBEL 05
Explosive Reactive Armour Mk-II (ERA Mk-II) HEMRL 03
Troposcatter Radio Link Estimation Software DEAL 05
Mini Unmanned Ground Vehicle VRDE 03
155 mm Bi-Modular Charge System (BMCS) HEMRL 03
Industrial scale process for production of propellant grade fine B-HMX / fine RDX (less than 6um). TBRL 01
EBW Detonator based Exploder Mechanism for Naval Warheads TBRL 02
Short Range Optical Target Locater LASTEC 03
Advanced Light Towed Array Sonar (ALTAS) NPOL 02
Fabrication of Pilot Parachute PSU-36, Series 4-3 for Su-30 aircraft ADRDE 05
CBRN Suit Permeable Mk V DEBEL 05
IR Flare for CMDS HEMRL 05
Ground based Mobile ELINT Station DLRL 05
Bullet Proof Jacket Improved Performance DMSRDE 05
Composite Propellant for HTM & LTM motor of PJ-10 project HEMRL 03
RS RDX HEMRL 03

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/index.jsp?pg=cat-a-tech-ready.jsp

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Category ‘A’ Technologies Transferred to Industry

Technology

Lab

Industrial scale process for production of propellant grade fine B-HMX / fine RDX (less than 6um).

TBRL

Rubber Sheet (IRP1074) for Vibro Damping Coating (VDC) application

NMRL

Rubber Sheet (IRP1075) for Vibro Damping Coating (VDC) application

NMRL

Explosive Reactive Armour MK II

HEMRL

Recovery Parachute System for Lakshya PTA

ADRDE

Rubber Sheet (IRP 1074) for Vibro Damping Coating Application

NMRL

Manufacturing Technology for Gravity Diecast Aluminium Alloy REAR SHELL Component

NMRL

Mechatronic Fuze

TBRL

Bund Blasting Device

TBRL

Joint Care Gel

DIHAR

UV Protective Anti Blemishes Cream

DIHAR

Propellant & Igniter for 122 mm ERR

HEMRL

Propellant Grains, Igniter, MAT-O-Bond for PINAKA MKI

HEMRL

Energetic Propellant Casting in Case Bonded Rocket Motors(Propellant) & Igniter for PINAKA MKII

HEMRL

Pyro cartridges PC 025 DQ, 050 DQ, PC 100 DQ, PC 110 DQ

HEMRL

Fuel Rich Sustainer Propellant Grains for Akash Missile

HEMRL

Igniter for Akash Missile Booster

HEMRL

Igniter for Akash Missile Sustainer

HEMRL

Booster Propellant Grains for Akash Missile

HEMRL

Propellant for LRSAM PII Grains

HEMRL

MASTIC

NMRL

Integrated DRDO Water Testing Kit

DRL

Rubber Compound

DMSRDE

Backpack

DIPAS

Preemptor

LASTEC

Shudhika - Skin Decontamination Kit

INMAS

PCM Cool Vest & Panels

DLJ

Resin Film Infusion

R&DE(E)

Oleoresin based products like CapsisprayTM/ CapsigrenadeTM

DRL

Protection Clothing for Medical First Responders

INMAS

REMOCON Wipe for the Decontamination of Radiological Contaminates from Skin

INMAS

Boot Flying For Aircrew

DEBEL

NBC Filter FAT-100M

DRDE

Palladium Impregnated Carbon for use in CO Canisters and Air Cleaning Filters

DRDE

Portable Decontamination Apparatus

DRDE

First Aid Kit Type 'B' (FAK-'B')

DRDE

OR Based Grenade

DRDE

Personal Decontamination Kit (PDK)

DRDE

Three Color Detector Paper (TCDP)

DRDE

Decontamination Solution-2 (DS-2)

DRDE

First Aid Kit CW Type - A

DRDE

Autojet Injector

DRDE

Light Weight Integrated Helmet Type 1H-1000 [TD1 (LCA)-Modified] for ALH Helicopter Aircrew

DEBEL

Seaking Floats

ADRDE

Garter Leg Restraint - HAWK

DEBEL

Aircrew Survival Jacket

DEBEL

Anti G-Suit

DEBEL

CFF Gloves

DEBEL

CFF Jump Suit

DEBEL

CFF Oxygen System, Protective equipment & Clothing

DEBEL

Electrically Heated Shoe Insoles

DEBEL

FR Common Anti G Suit

DEBEL

FR Gloves

DEBEL

Hawk Helmet

DEBEL

Helicopter Oxygen System

DEBEL

Hydrosuit (SES)

DEBEL

Thermal Drawers

DEBEL

Thermal Vest

DEBEL

Upgraded Arctic Gloves with active heating element

DEBEL

Upgraded NATO Suit

DEBEL

Rugged, Portable Telemedicine System

DEBEL

Portable Physiological Vital Parameter Monitor

DEBEL

Integrated Control Panel for NBC RV

DLJ

Automatic Control Unit (ACU) for NBC RV

DLJ

Radiation Detection Measurement and Control Unit (RADMAC)

DLJ

Roentgenometer & Gamma Sensor

DLJ

Activated Carbon Spheres

DMSRDE

Fluid Engine Starting Aid

DMSRDE

NBC Filters, Residual Vapour Detector

DRDE

1200cc, 2400cc, 6000cc Pellet Type Gas Generators

HEMRL

DAG Primer

HEMRL

Pyro Cartridges

HEMRL

Squib (Cartridge Electric)

HEMRL

Acoustic Rubber Tiles

NMRL

Advance ICCP system, Platinised titanium anode, silver-silver chloride electrode, ACU

NMRL

Sound absorbing rubber & vibration, isolation, tile

NMRL

Polymeric Rubbing strakes

NMRL

Polyoxypropylene triol and benzylidene

NMRL

Polyoxy propylene triol & triethylene glycol dimethacrylate

NMRL

Different grades of Zirconia powders & ZTA Ceramic products

NMRL

Piezocomposite elements

NMRL

Phosphoric Acid Fuel cell and its components

NMRL

Bimetallic platinum cobalt catalyst for fuel cell

NMRL

Porous Conducting carbon paper

NMRL

*Mosquito Repellent Cream/Spray

DRL

*Air Sanitizer

DRL

*Microbial Water Testing Kit

DRDE

*Heavy Duty Non-skid Paint

NMRL

*ICCP system and galvanic alluminium alloy anode system

NMRL

*Low potential aluminium sacrificial anodes

NMRL

*Inlumescenct fire retardant paint

NMRL

*Solvent-free anticorrosive paint

NMRL

*High performance exterior paint for ships and marine structures

NMRL

*High strength epoxy putty

NMRL

*Styreneless unsaturated polyester resin

NMRL

*Polyurethane sealant

NMRL

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/index.jsp?pg=cat-a-tech-delivered.jsp

Enquirer

This is quite a list available from DRDO ready for ToT
===========
Category-A Technologies ready for ToT to Indian Industries for supply to Indian Armed Forces

Technology

LAB

No of License Available

Active Electronically Scanned Radar (AESAR) LRDE 04
ATDS-MAREECH NPOL 02
Mist Based Infrared Suppression System (MIST) NSTL 02
RPL Dosimeter Reader Mark-II DLJ 02
Compact Hull Mounted Sonar- ABHAY NPOL 03
High Power Radar LRDE 04
Combat Free Fall (CFF) ADRDE 05
Driver Night Sight for T-90 Tank IRDE 03
Process monitoring of vacuum assisted resin transfer moulding (VARTM) R&DE 05
Development of High Explosive Formulation having high shock insensitivity, high velocity of detonation and high blast effects for filling PCB warhead of PJ-10 (BrahMos) missile HEMRL 03
Small Turbo Fan Engine (STFE) GTRE 03
Border Surveillance System IRDE 03
Long Range Surveillance Equipment IRDE 03
Development of Electronic Power conditioner for X-band MPM for Compact Tracking Radar MTRDC 01
NBC Filter cartridge FCS DRDE 07
First Aid Kit- CW Type B Mark-II DRDE 07
First Aid Kit- CW Type A Mark-I DRDE 07
CBRN Gloves MKII DEBEL 10
CBRN Overboot MK II DEBEL 10
Plastic scintillator sensors (Rod and Sheet) DLJ 03
Food Radioactivity Contamination Monitoring System (FRCMS) DLJ 03
Mobile station for personnel monitoring (MSPM) system DLJ 05
Moisture Proof Packaging for Salt DFRL 10
Sea Dye Marker DFRL 10
Potable Sterilized Water pouches DFRL 10
Portable Diver Detection Sonar (PDDS) system NPOL 04
High Strength Aluminium Alloy Extrusions for the Manufacture of Hard Anodized Components for an Anti-tank Ammunition DMRL 03
Aluminium Alloy Armour Plates for Infantry Combat Vehicle/Armoured Vehicle DMRL 03
Aluminium-Copper-Manganese-Zirconium- Titanium-Vanadium Based AA2219 Alclad Sheets and Plates for Missile Applications DMRL 03
Aluminium-Zinc-Magnesium Based Alloy Sheets and Plates Having Desired Strength and High Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Resistance for Military Bridging System DMRL 03
Aluminium-Magnesium Based Alloy sheets and Plates for Superstructures in Naval Warship DMRL 03
Secure Execution Environment (SEE) CAIR 03
Fabrication of Composite Sonar Dome for P-15 class ship by Vaccum Assisted Resin Transfer moulding (VARTM) process R&DE 05
Coastal Surveillance Radar (CSR) LRDE 02
Electronics for Near-field Acoustic Characterization System NPOL 02
SELF PROPELLED MUNITION BURIER (SPMB) R&DE(E) 03
Fiber Optics Gyro based Sensor Package Unit (FSPU) RCI 02
Indium Activated Aluminium sacrificial Anode-NMR-IASA NMRL 04
Poly LIST dock block NMR-PLIST NMRL 04
Vibration and sound Isolation Tile (VISH) NMRL 04
Radar Absorbing Paint-NMR-RAP NMRL 04
Development of Gloves ECW (Modified) Outer & Gloves ECW Inner DMSRDE 07
Uprated 1000 hp engine CVRDE 02
Integrated Radar EW System - SHAKTI DLRL 01
NAYAN (COMINT) System DLRL 01
Mine Field Marking Equipment MK-II (MFME MK-II) R&D(E) 03
Mechanical Munition Layer - Self Propelled ( MML-SP) R&D(E) 03
Modern ESM System - Varuna DLRL 01
120mm High Explosive Squash Head Mark-I ARDE 03
120mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS) Mark-I ARDE 03
120mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot Mark-II ARDE 03
125mm Fin Stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot Practice Mark-I ARDE 03
81mm Anti Thermal Anti Laser Smoke Grenade HEMRL 03
Microwave Chaff Cartridge DLJ 03
Continuous wave single mode high power fiber laser LASTEC 02
Anti-Terrorist Vehicle (ATV)-Tracked VRDE 05
Air defence Tactical Control Radar (ADTCR) LRDE 01
Low level Transportable Radar ASHWANI (LLTR) LRDE 02
Medium Power Radar ARUDHARA (MPR) LRDE 01
Holographic Sight IRDE 10
Wet End Sub-Syatem of SONAR (ALTAS) NPOL 02
On-Board Electronics Sub-System OF SONAR (ALTAS) NPOL 02
Manual Resuscitator (Improved) DEBEL 05
Air Sterilization Unit DEBEL 05
Novel Haemostatic formulation DEBEL 05
Explosive Reactive Armour Mk-II (ERA Mk-II) HEMRL 03
Troposcatter Radio Link Estimation Software DEAL 05
Mini Unmanned Ground Vehicle VRDE 03
155 mm Bi-Modular Charge System (BMCS) HEMRL 03
Industrial scale process for production of propellant grade fine B-HMX / fine RDX (less than 6um). TBRL 01
EBW Detonator based Exploder Mechanism for Naval Warheads TBRL 02
Short Range Optical Target Locater LASTEC 03
Advanced Light Towed Array Sonar (ALTAS) NPOL 02
Fabrication of Pilot Parachute PSU-36, Series 4-3 for Su-30 aircraft ADRDE 05
CBRN Suit Permeable Mk V DEBEL 05
IR Flare for CMDS HEMRL 05
Ground based Mobile ELINT Station DLRL 05
Bullet Proof Jacket Improved Performance DMSRDE 05
Composite Propellant for HTM & LTM motor of PJ-10 project HEMRL 03
RS RDX HEMRL 03

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/index.jsp?pg=cat-a-tech-ready.jsp
I see 'small turbo fan engine' also in the list - this must be Manik, right?
Thought it was still being tested - it hasn't yet been subjected to a flight test as yet if I recall correctly.

Something's funny about this list, if it says 'ready for ToT'.
Perhaps in some contexts it also means ToT to enable manufacture of prototypes for further testing (and not necessarily ready for mass production)

Prashant12

Country flag
Pralay set for maiden launch

India is all set to conduct the maiden test of its brand new surface-to-surface tactical Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) developed under a classified project, code-named Pralay.

BHUBANESWAR:India is all set to conduct the maiden test of its brand new surface-to-surface tactical Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) developed under a classified project, code-named Pralay.Elaborate preparation is underway as the missile will be flight tested from a canister mobile launcher any time between September 20 and 22 from a defence test facility off Odisha coast.

As the missile has to follow a manoeuverable trajectory, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has planned to evacuate people residing in three km area of the launching complex. This is for the first time that people are being evacuated from a large area.

A defence official on Friday told ‘The Express’ that the home-grown missile Pralay can be comparable with China’s Dongfeng 12 and Russia’s 9K720 Iskander, both short-range tactical ballistic missiles.
“The experimental trial is aimed at validating the technologies incorporated in the system for the first time and gauging the fire power. If weather permits, the missile will be test fired as scheduled,” he told this paper over phone from New Delhi.

Indigenously designed and developed by DRDO, the missile is a derivative of Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) exo-atmospheric interceptor missile, capable of destroying enemy weapons at high altitudes.Pralay, which is much faster and accurate, has a strike range of 350 km to 500 km and weighs around five tonne. With a payload of 1000 kg, it can travel a distance of 350 km. If the payload is halved, the missile will be able to hit a target as far as 500 km.

Fuelled by composite propellant and developed by Pune-based High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), it uses inertial navigation system for mid-course guidance.Since India’s most of the SRBMs are for strategic strike purposes, development of tactical Pralay was necessitated after the army sought for a 500-km range SRBM that can carry a sizable payload.

Meanwhile, the MoD has asked Balasore district administration to be ready for evacuation of people within a radius of three km from the Integrated Test Range.“Earlier people were being evacuated within a radius of two km for test of certain missiles. But this time, the evacuation area has been extended to a radius of three km,” said a district official.

Nearly three years after the project was sanctioned in March, 2015 at a cost of nearly `333 crore, the DRDO had unveiled some information on the missile at the Defence Expo 2018 held at Chennai in April this year.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/2018/sep/08/pralay-set-for-maiden-launch-1869189.html

NeXoft007

Country flag
Just because Pralay is as tall as Prithvi, doesn't means it's a derivative of any Prithvi Missile. It's around 30% slimmer than Prithvi and a derivative of Shaurya.

It has a 350/ 700kg warhead options and not 500/ 1000kg warhead. The range of Pralay is twice as more than Prithvi.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Just because Pralay is as tall as Prithvi, doesn't means it's a derivative of any Prithvi Missile. It's around 30% slimmer than Prithvi and a derivative of Shaurya.

It has a 350/ 700kg warhead options and not 500/ 1000kg warhead. The range of Pralay is twice as more than Prithvi.
is the initial test launch done with/with out cannister usually?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles