DEFEXPO-2022

jik60

Country flag
Now, this is super Exclusive!!!!!
you all probably have seen many small arms pictures from DefExpo2022 but no one probably has ever shown you the below;
ARDE has successfully developed 2 proto of 7.62 x 51 and 6.8mm Assault rifles each. Those are based on the newest 5.56 carbine model (See the right topmost and 2nd in the left). Also, they have modified the old rugged MAG now with a machine-manufactured body, lighter barrel, and a fixed P-Rails :

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
you all probably have seen many small arms pictures from DefExpo2022 but no one probably has ever shown you the below;
ARDE has successfully developed 2 proto of 7.62 x 51 and 6.8mm Assault rifles each. Those are based on the newest 5.56 carbine model (See the right topmost and 2nd in the left). Also, they have modified the old rugged MAG now with a machine-manufactured body, lighter barrel, and a fixed P-Rails :

View attachment 177489
View attachment 177490
Noice. @ezsasa was asking about ARDE offerings not being posted. Don't know much about small arms, but happy to see that R&D on newer rounds like 6.8mm is alive.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Can you tell me how to upload a personal video over here?
I think there is a limit to video size attachment on the forum (only mods would know max size limit) so you could either upload it to YouTube, unlist it (to prevent it from coming up on YT search results) and then paste the link here. Or you could upload it to google drive and paste link here.

abingdonboy

Country flag
DRDO proposed FICV, don't confuse by the LnT hull. Actually, they are refurbishing the ABHYA project with a complete overhaul (Including the 40 mm main gun). This baby is now 40% lighter and currently going through mobility testing :

View attachment 177482
View attachment 177483
View attachment 177484

View attachment 177486

View attachment 177487
Completely missed this poster. Panic over for a bit then guys, it’s not even called the FICV and isn’t linked to L&T’s FICV

I wonder why DRDO asked L&T to do this though?

omaebakabaka

The Caesar mechanism has to be the most optimised semi-auto system you can possibly have and what DRDO should aim to get to if they can for their MGS

I have tried to find the ammo crane on the DRDO MGS but can’t point it out, I’m sure they’ve thought of it so let’s wait and see. Can’t wait to see mobility and firing trails of this thing
I think a human would be faster than ceasar especially if one of those hydralic arm helpers come along. I simply don't see the benefit of auto loading if a vehicle has to stop, orient and autoload.....in that sense archer seems more practical as most of it is automated and works out of driver cabin.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I think a human would be faster than ceasar especially if one of those hydralic arm helpers come along. I simply don't see the benefit of auto loading if a vehicle has to stop, orient and autoload.....in that sense archer seems more practical as most of it is automated and works out of driver cabin.
Ceasar combines automation and human grunt, it’s the best of both worlds without going the entire way to Archer which is too complex for its own good and I doubt is suitable for india for a lot of reasons

omaebakabaka

Ceasar combines automation and human grunt, it’s the best of both worlds without going the entire way to Archer which is too complex for its own good and I doubt is suitable for india for a lot of reasons
How is it better though as a human is still lifting the ammo and charge, now I agree in ceaser's case ammo is on a different side than the gun loading, so full human would take longer but this half ass comes at the cost of maintenance and weight? Why is archer complicated other than weight distribution seemingly looks a bit off.....especially in difficult terrain

abingdonboy

Country flag
How is it better though as a human is still lifting the ammo and charge, now I agree in ceaser's case ammo is on a different side than the gun loading, so full human would take longer but this half ass comes at the cost of maintenance and weight? Why is archer complicated other than weight distribution seemingly looks a bit off.....especially in difficult terrain
Lifting is a strong word for what they are doing. They are placing them on arms that load themselves. The archer’s systems are all internal and the crew is so small that it wouldn’t take much to completely knock one of those out of service even during routine operations. The kind of shoot and scoot tactics that it sells as it’s USP aren’t really realistic and definitely aren’t how the IA would fight.

the more I look at Caesar’s loading the more I think it’s highly unlikely it’ll be present on the MGS as it’s far too clean. The ATAGS MGS will probably have a little more manual effort

omaebakabaka

Lifting is a strong word for what they are doing. They are placing them on arms that load themselves. The archer’s systems are all internal and the crew is so small that it wouldn’t take much to completely knock one of those out of service even during routine operations. The kind of shoot and scoot tactics that it sells as it’s USP aren’t really realistic and definitely aren’t how the IA would fight.

the more I look at Caesar’s loading the more I think it’s highly unlikely it’ll be present on the MGS as it’s far too clean. The ATAGS MGS will probably have a little more manual effort
Looks like caesar needs 5 to 6 crew and Archer probably 2 or 3 with system being more like tankish except I don't think that trailer is stable in all terrains. For me both athos and caesar's loading looks needlessly complicated and prone to maintenance (probably has manual mode?)

NotASussyBoi

Country flag

View attachment 177489
View attachment 177490
ayo nibbas a telescopic stock on a drdo gun wow

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
DRDO proposed FICV, don't confuse by the LnT hull. Actually, they are refurbishing the ABHYA project with a complete overhaul (Including the 40 mm main gun). This baby is now 40% lighter and currently going through mobility testing :

View attachment 177482
View attachment 177483
View attachment 177484

View attachment 177486

View attachment 177487
my theory is that its main aesthetics are from armor panels and this is just the bare bones working version,honestly it would look nice with those panels installed

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
20221020_062834.jpg
20221020_062641.jpg

Good to see that the R-27s and R-73s in our inventory are atleast being put to some good use. Better to use them as a "SAM" instead of not using them at all. Sadly the kinetic performance of R-73 & R-27 will degrade a bit in comparison to launching these from the air But I would say that its fine enough. In Yemen, Houthis did the same thing by turning their R-27/R-60/R-73/R-77 air-to-air missiles as SAMs against Saudi-led Coalition Aircraft.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
View attachment 177503View attachment 177504
Good to see that the R-27s and R-73s in our inventory are atleast being put to some good use. Better to use them as a "SAM" instead of not using them at all. Sadly the kinetic performance of R-73 & R-27 will degrade a bit in comparison to launching these from the air But I would say that its fine enough. In Yemen, Houthis did the same thing by turning their R-27/R-60/R-73/R-77 air-to-air missiles as SAMs against Saudi-led Coalition Aircraft.
I wonder how many of these are currently there in the IAF inventory to be deployed as a supplementary air defense missile system on our eastern and northern borders. It would make sense to have a live test in ladakh just to send a message.

AnantS

Country flag
Hello All,

firstly my apologies for not getting you the required DefExpo2022 pictures and the information on time. It was really tough to cope with 35C of Gujrat, straight after landing from 5C of Chicago.

As a system safety engineering lead, I was with my company's leadership for purely technical discussions with the players in the military automotive sector. My company is a critical Tier-1 supplier to major Automotive and Aviation giants.

It became strikingly difficult for me to take pictures, ask questions, and be with my company's leadership at the same time. Some of the US military attache folks also were with us. However, I managed to gather some information and captured some good photographs

Nirbhay / ITCM/ ADE :
  • As Confirmed By one of the project directors of ADE (my god what a humble person), the next ITCM test with indigenous RF seeker and Engine would be on the 28th of October :shock: .
  • They got approval from IN and IAF (IN is mostly pushing it) for LR-LACM, all these ITCM trials are the precursor process to finally jump to the LR-LACM
  • LR-LACM range will be 1200+ km (mostly HI-Hi window is up to 1500 km), whereas in ITCM it was 1000 km
  • LR-LACM will be much longer than ITCM (Nirbhay)
  • IAF will also be a customer but only for the ground launch version to complement the Brahmos, the AL version has been considered or realized yet.
GTRE / Kaveri:
  • As per the senior officials (has requested me not to quote them) all 3 are equally evil
  • According to them why should anybody in the world would share their IP, they are of the opinion that; you can not develop or reverse engineered a turbofan pplsn system by taking one part from here and start developing another one from somewhere else and ending up rejoining them.
  • Their secret wish is that GOI should release a new project with more funds to develop a new engine (I am a part of my org's RnD dept, and I know how managers do shenanigans to get more RnD funds :) )
  • Despite all these, they are hopeful for GOI's new endeavor for JV, all motives behind the JVs are only economical in nature
  • Mostly GOI will form a consortium or spv for Kaveri in the line of Brahmos, the one for AK203, or the planned one for AMCA to bypass the older player like HAL, OFB, or probably the GTRE in the future
  • the marine version is completely a different project altogether, it's not a variant of KAVERI
  • GTRE has done some renewed efforts in the line of crystal blades, they have achieved some success, and will release more details in 2023
  • Sorry couldn't gather any updates on the flying test bed and the delay in testing the new engines for Ghatak UCAV, due to Rus-UKR war
ATAGS:
  • Yes ATAGS are probably the biggest attraction point/showstopper of DEFEXPO 2022, DRDO has 4 models (2 BF + 2 TATA) at various static displays.
  • This product is probably going to be the next flagship one such as Brahmos, Pinaka, and Tejas
  • DRDO official: MET (Maintainance related )trails over, QA trails are going on (hindered due to defexpo only)
  • Passed all the dynamic firing trials with flying colors, again achieved 48 km range in recent tests
  • DRDO is super upbeat about ATAGs (had seen similar enthu for very few like Tejas, Prithvi, and A series missile in the past)
ATGMs:
  • DRDO: NAG/HELINA/MPATGM are all at their terminal phase development except the SANT
  • NAG/HELINA/MPATGM all3 projects are now at the documentation handover to the manufacturer phase, all 3 of them already got good initial numerical orders from forces (DRDO officials didn't provide me exact numbers)
DRDO AIP:
  • The last scorpene will be fitted with DRDO AIP and from 2025 onwards the MLU of the kalvari class will see the integration of the indigenous AIP ( but I think this was just a sweeping stmnt from that particular drdo official, there will be much more into it)
AMCA/DAS/EOTS:
(Dammn DR. Ghosh was probably the hardest nut to crack and he was the only person except Dr Deodhar to speak on AMCA with some authority, didn't get much info)
  • CDR by 2022 Dec, CCS approval by early 2023 (again felt like a generic stmnt is coming from the horse's mouth )
  • EOTS will be a part of DAS approach and will only be available in mk2, mk-1 will have IRST
  • for Qs like IR signature reduction methods, especially in the back and air intake portion: no comments with a generic answer like " We have some plan"
For the rest of the questions such as those related to the small arms and their details, HAL CATS, IMRH, CABS Netra mk2, MMMR, I will visit again the HEC Gandhinagar on 21st and try to cover those
Thanks a lot for your effort! :clap2::hail:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Defexpo 2020 Defence & Strategy 655
Pandora Questions to be asked during Defexpo 2018 Defence & Strategy 11
sayareakd Defexpo 2018 Defence & Strategy 446
cobra commando Defexpo India 2016 Defence & Strategy 215