Defexpo 2020

captscooby81

Country flag
I think i had posted one from OFB not sure you talking about same , Just check few pages back in this thread

Sir, There is a picture going around, Sudden appearance of a M2 B HMG at a ofb stall. Do you have better and clearer picture of that ?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Okay so I believe this question must have been answered earlier but I couldn't figure it out hence here I am at it.

Why is MWF a single engine fighter. Because one of the main problem IAF raised was about the thrust of F-404 that it wasn't enough. Now MWF has F-414 with increased thrust but then LCA thehas also become MWF now and so the question that still remains whether that single engine will be able to satisfy the needs of air Force and especially Navy?

And why is it not a twin engine like the other aircrafts of similar configuration and roles?
Engines are the single most expensive item on a fighter aircraft- each one costs $5-10m USD just to procure, then factor in that each aircraft will go through 4-6 engines throughout its lifespan and all the work hours that goes in to maintaining each engine and you can understand why single engined fighters are what the IAF wants for its backbone/lower end force structure.

Almost all large airforces* have single engine fighters as their backbone- the USA has F16 (and now F35), China has the J10 etc

* Russia is probably the exception to this today and that is largely because their engines have traditionally been so unreliable although they had the MiG-21 in the 1000s during USSR days.

The Navy's requirements are legitimate and will have to be taken care of elsewhere, TEDBF?

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Tejas is basically replacement for Mig-21,Mig-23 and Mig-27 all are SE aircrafts ,

MWF is similar to J-10 and F-16 type single engine fighter for IAF
And still Tejas mk1 was dubbed as underpowered by the Air Force.

The point and the question whether the thrust provided by F-414 is sufficient enough for MWF!

Hopefully time will answer that.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
I
Engines are the single most expensive item on a fighter aircraft- each one costs $5-10m USD just to procure, then factor in that each aircraft will go through 4-6 engines throughout its lifespan and all the work hours that goes in to maintaining each engine and you can understand why single engined fighters are what the IAF wants for its backbone/lower end force structure.

Almost all large airforces* have single engine fighters as their backbone- the USA has F16 (and now F35), China has the J10 etc

* Russia is probably the exception to this today and that is largely because their engines have traditionally been so unreliable although they had the MiG-21 in the 1000s during USSR days.

The Navy's requirements are legitimate and will have to be taken care of elsewhere, TEDBF?
Agree.

But Navy is equally ambitious about a naval MWF . Btw is TEDBF even real?

Update.

MWF in it's current avatar will never be accepted by Navy and that why TEDBF has been in picture now which will enter service not before 2030. And if sources are to be believed then Air Force will cut short the orders of 200 MWF by half and the other half will be AIr Force variant of TEDBF/ORCA.
So yes, concerns regarding performance of MWF with a single F-414 are REAL. And by the time the program will start to bear fruits then this concern will definitely be at the forefront of all others with Air Force pitching for TEDBF version instead of single engine MWF like it did or whine about with LCA Mk1.

Last edited:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
A member posted a picture of MRSAM missile brouchure, which gave weight & flight time. Can someone post again, I cannot locate it.

IndianHawk

Country flag
MWF in it's current avatar will never be accepted by Navy and that why TEDBF has been in picture now which will enter service not before 2030. And if sources are to be believed then Air Force will cut short the orders of 200 MWF by half and the other half will be AIr Force variant of TEDBF/ORCA.
What sources?? Please post links . Neither tedbf nor orca are sanctioned as of now so it's mere speculation. While mwf is already funded with ada hiring lots of project engineers right now.

IndianHawk

Country flag
And still Tejas mk1 was dubbed as underpowered by the Air Force.

The point and the question whether the thrust provided by F-414 is sufficient enough for MWF!

Hopefully time will answer that.
It is not underpowered. It is delayed and now iaf wants bigger aircraft with more payload and integrated ew with greater range hence mwf.

Lca MK1 got delayed and now iaf has to focus on two front war for which it needs aircraft with longer legs which can switch between theatres easily. Hence LCA is evolving to mwf. If we were just focused on Pakistan lca mk1 will be fine.

Although for navy nlca mk1 is clearly underpowered.

Frontrunner

Country flag
Regarding the MRSAM this is the new configuration

The army was not satisfied with the first one after deployment , so they sent it back with recommendations to change many of the features to make it more user friendly.
What are the change in features which army recommended..???

If im not wrong then mrsam was supposed to enter into service this year.. is it now going to get delayed?

Defcon 1

Country flag
People who are dreaming about TEDBF are in for a rude awakening . I won't disclose further . just keep watching the progress on TEDBF in next few years you will get the direction of wind .
Agreed. Someone posts a pic of a CGI and people go gaga over it. TEDBF is a stupid project if it is ever pursued. All focus should be on MWF, it is the future. Navy has been taking the LCA project on a ride for decades. DRDO should grow a spine and tell them to present a proper aircraft induction plan first, like what is in place for IAF and army.

Knowitall

People who are dreaming about TEDBF are in for a rude awakening . I won't disclose further . just keep watching the progress on TEDBF in next few years you will get the direction of wind .
Means rafale confirmed. I don't see any other option.

porky_kicker

Country flag
What are the change in features which army recommended..???

If im not wrong then mrsam was supposed to enter into service this year.. is it now going to get delayed?
Better usability or something like that

Kindof ..............................

Ujjain

Country flag
Sir you have asked a million dollar question

Now i will wait for the answer :biggrin2:
The answer is plain and simple, Quality Control.When my father was posted in Sri ganganagar in 1993, this rifle was displayed to them in his unit with every possible stunt including driving a 1 ton over it. But as soon as they started getting it while they were in leh the product was anything but good.

Last edited:

Akula

Country flag
A member posted a picture of MRSAM missile brouchure,
The answer is plain and simple, Quality Control.When my father was posted in Sri ganganagar in 1993, this rifle was displayed to them in his unit with every possible stunt including driving a 1 ton over it. But as soon as they started getting it while they were in leh the product was anything but good.
Thanks to OFB. I have doubt over their JVPC production after reading this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ezsasa DEFEXPO-2022 Defence & Strategy 1248
Pandora Questions to be asked during Defexpo 2018 Defence & Strategy 11
sayareakd Defexpo 2018 Defence & Strategy 446
cobra commando Defexpo India 2016 Defence & Strategy 215