Croatian Air Force News and Discussion

Picard

Country flag
Thread for anything related to Croatian Air Force.

Yester-yesterday news: Croatian air force took delivery of the first Rafale:

To sum it up: Croatia had been using ancient MiG-21s for ages now. Croatia had been seeking to replace MiG-21s since 2017 at least (and talking about it since 2010), as several had been lost to engine failure as a consequence of age and wear and tear (some of the aircraft had fought in the Homeland War!). In fact, six MiG-21s had been lost by 2022. MiG-21s were not supposed to remain in active service beyond 2018, yet Croatian finances and politics being what they are, they are still flying in 2023.

Candidates for replacement had been F-16C, F-16I, MiG-29, Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault Rafale. After a lot of going back-and-forth (and, one assumes, a lot of bribes under the table), final choice fell on Dassault Rafale.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Thread for anything related to Croatian Air Force.

Yester-yesterday news: Croatian air force took delivery of the first Rafale:

To sum it up: Croatia had been using ancient MiG-21s for ages now. Croatia had been seeking to replace MiG-21s since 2017 at least (and talking about it since 2010), as several had been lost to engine failure as a consequence of age and wear and tear (some of the aircraft had fought in the Homeland War!). In fact, six MiG-21s had been lost by 2022. MiG-21s were not supposed to remain in active service beyond 2018, yet Croatian finances and politics being what they are, they are still flying in 2023.

Candidates for replacement had been F-16C, F-16I, MiG-29, Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault Rafale. After a lot of going back-and-forth (and, one assumes, a lot of bribes under the table), final choice fell on Dassault Rafale.
Ya'll Nibbiars debt finance?.

Narasimh

Country flag
Rafale is a big leap from Mig 21s.. Tejas trainer could be a good LIFT solution for pilots if HAL and defence attaches market to these smaller NATO air forces.

Picard

Country flag
Rafale is a big leap from Mig 21s.. Tejas trainer could be a good LIFT solution for pilots if HAL and defence attaches market to these smaller NATO air forces.
I'm not sure there was any talk about acquiring jet trainers, even though logically that should have been the next step.

So I assume we will still be using the old Pilatus PC-9:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles