Cars & Bikes - Automotive Discussion Thread

scatterStorm

Country flag
Just for the record the 1299 isn't my most favourite Ducati. That honor goes to this one :)

View attachment 16793

Yes, now the case that you say is interesting because with Ducati moving the V4 way, Honda has said they will return to v twin. Interesting times ahead. Knowing Honda, they definitely stick to 999cc unlike Ducati who just bumps up cc with every model. If Honda manages a 999 v twin with similar levels of performance as the Ducati, That would be amazing - ly bad for Ducati fans :laugh:

Parallel v twin?

Am I missing something? :confused1:

Sometimes V-twins are also called Parallel twins or Parallel V-twins. More prominently they are simply called, V-twins.

Krusty

Country flag
Sometimes V-twins are also called Parallel twins or Parallel V-twins. More prominently they are simply called, V-twins.
Uuh, parallel twins are different from v twin.

This is a parallel twin (axis of cylinders parallel to each other)

IMG_3826.JPG

And this is a v twin (axis of cylinders arent parallel)

IMG_3827.JPG

V twin isn't parallel O_O or are you talking about V4?

Krusty

Country flag
Nice, I'm thinking of getting one these and getting rid of the Subie. I know you won't approve but fuck yeah Muurrica

Why wouldn't I approve? I like the Brute force of the Hammer as much as the precision of the scalpel. How old is your Subaru? I thought the one model that you have was launched only in 2014! It's practically brand new.o_O

Dodge RAM huh? Nice! Whats the engine option? And What were the other models you looked into?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Why wouldn't I approve? I like the Brute force of the Hammer as much as the precision of the scalpel. How old is your Subaru? I thought the one model that you have was launched only in 2014! It's practically brand new.o_O

Dodge RAM huh? Nice! Whats the engine option? And What were the other models you looked into?
I am ashamed, it is only a few months old. I'm getting truck envy and also, I'm worried that the truck that I want will not be available any more because of environment regulations. So might as well get it now.

The trim I want is a Dodge Ram with a v8 Hemi. I wanted a Diesel but the 1500 is a puny 3.0L and the bigger Cummins 2500 is out of my budget :(

I also like the Toyota Tundra and Ford F150 but Dodge is more willing to negotiate on the price than those two.

Krusty

Country flag
I am ashamed, it is only a few months old. I'm getting truck envy and also, I'm worried that the truck that I want will not be available any more because of environment regulations. So might as well get it now.

The trim I want is a Dodge Ram with a v8 Hemi. I wanted a Diesel but the 1500 is a puny 3.0L and the bigger Cummins 2500 is out of my budget :(

I also like the Toyota Tundra and Ford F150 but Dodge is more willing to negotiate on the price than those two.
Letting go of a car that's only a few months old. Wow... talk about first world problems! :biggrin2:
And problems of the rich.. I am keeping my 9 year old tiny Hyundai still :)

And cheers to the hemi V8. Yes going ny the looks of it, every engine that's 'fun' will be axed. Because of this bullshit belief that everyone going electric will somehow cool the planet down wtf.

Elon Musk is the ISIS of the automotive world. Only, the actual ISIS is gradually being beaten back. This guys is relentless

IMG_3829.JPG

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Letting go of a car that's only a few months old. Wow... talk about first world problems! :biggrin2:
Not rich at all sir, the good thing is that the Subaru doesn't depreciate much at all and I can sell it for about what I bought it. And I'm not sure about it yet, ideally I could buy both the truck and keep the Subie (I love it to death). :(

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Elon Musk is the ISIS of the automotive world. Only, the actual ISIS is gradually being beaten back. This guys is relentless
Lose 50% of charge in cold weather, battery deteriorates over time, has to be mined from the ground in a pretty unsustainable way, electricity is still mostly coal based, self driving car isn't self driving, severe quality control issues with their cars, charging takes much longer than filling up gas. Fuck this mofo :rage:

Edit: oh and evidently they treat employees like shit and run a sweatshop

Krusty

Country flag
Not rich at all sir, the good thing is that the Subaru doesn't depreciate much at all and I can sell it for about what I bought it. And I'm not sure about it yet, ideally I could buy both the truck and keep the Subie (I love it to death). :(
Lol. Ok. How much is the hemi versions on road cost? Just curious. And what's the size of that V8??

Krusty

Country flag
Lose 50% of charge in cold weather, battery deteriorates over time, has to be mined from the ground in a pretty unsustainable way, electricity is still mostly coal based, self driving car isn't self driving, severe quality control issues with their cars, charging takes much longer than filling up gas. Fuck this mofo :rage:

Edit: oh and evidently they treat employees like shit and run a sweatshop
The whole global warming and running out of oil narratives are a joke to start with. Just wait and watch OPEC down on its knees in a decade.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Lol. Ok. How much is the hemi versions on road cost? Just curious. And what's the size of that V8??
$41335 but pretty sure I can negotiate it down to around 35K. The Hemi is a 5.7L v8 and still gets around 18 MPG combined. Pretty impressive, no?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
@Krusty : What do you think about Diesel engines? Lot of backlash against it in Europe. My liberal friend was explaning to me that gas engines are worse for the planet as they cause more global warming but diesel engines are bad for the health of people because they do worse on particulate emissions. What do you think?

The cracks took a long time to appear, but when they did they splintered rapidly. In 2012 came the first major evidence of some truly dreadful health impacts. Nitrogen oxides and dioxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) pumped out by diesel exhausts were fingered as silent killers. The studies multiplied. The European Environment Agency found that nitrogen dioxide (NO2) from diesel fumes had caused around 71,000 premature deaths across the continent in a single year. It said the UK experienced 11,940 annual premature deaths from NO2, the second highest in Europe behind Italy. The World Health Organisation declared diesel exhaust a carcinogenic, a cause of lung cancer in the same category as asbestos and mustard gas.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/13/death-of-diesel-wonder-fuel-new-asbestos

Krusty

Country flag
$41335 but pretty sure I can negotiate it down to around 35K. The Hemi is a 5.7L v8 and still gets around 18 MPG combined. Pretty impressive, no?
Full size pickup with a V8 equivalent to 23lakh inr. :smash: The perks of living in the US...

22 lakh will only get you a puny VW sedan in India. I don't even want to start with Singapore..

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag

And cheers to the hemi V8. Yes going ny the looks of it, every engine that's 'fun' will be axed. Because of this bullshit belief that everyone going electric will somehow cool the planet down wtf.

View attachment 16825
I will kill that dude if he tries to replace any petrol engine automobile.

Krusty

Country flag
@Krusty : What do you think about Diesel engines? Lot of backlash against it in Europe. My liberal friend was explaning to me that gas engines are worse for the planet as they cause more global warming but diesel engines are bad for the health of people because they do worse on particulate emissions. What do you think?

The cracks took a long time to appear, but when they did they splintered rapidly. In 2012 came the first major evidence of some truly dreadful health impacts. Nitrogen oxides and dioxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) pumped out by diesel exhausts were fingered as silent killers. The studies multiplied. The European Environment Agency found that nitrogen dioxide (NO2) from diesel fumes had caused around 71,000 premature deaths across the continent in a single year. It said the UK experienced 11,940 annual premature deaths from NO2, the second highest in Europe behind Italy. The World Health Organisation declared diesel exhaust a carcinogenic, a cause of lung cancer in the same category as asbestos and mustard gas.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/13/death-of-diesel-wonder-fuel-new-asbestos
There are many angles here

1) First off, any engine, petrol or diesel (I refuse to call a liquid, gas) will be harmful for the health of not maintained with care. There are way too many of those running around in the planet which gives raise to this stereotype of them being a danger.

2) the quality of fossil fuels vary wildly depending on where you live. Shitty quality diesel will put out rediculous amounts of harmful (to the human body) chemicals. No getting past that.

Well maintained modern diesel + good quality fuel -> no issues ( no one seems to talk about this at all)

Any other combination (well maintained engine + bad quality fuel or badly maintained engine + good quality fuel) will still put out harmful chemicals.

That being said, is stupid that Europeans are complaining.

If anything countries can simply import better quality fuels. But it will cost a lot so they don't. Or fill up at a private station like shell where QC is assured. Nope. But BP station is cheaper, so everyone goes there. Not to mention that the average person gives a damn about his cars engine maintenance. Heck I'm sure most don't even know how to check oil level.

Coming to the engine tech themselves. most diesel cars in Asia are Low tech and crude. Btw even the so called 'modern diesels by Indian companies are miles behind interms of tech.

Way too many angles. But one thing is for sure, these reports of 70000 deaths and what not are most certainly bogus. Have they eliminated ALL the other variables completely? That's impossible. How was this conclusion drawn anyway? Did they gas them like Nazis did?

Lastly, I want to ask one question. When a IC engine car runs out of life, it can just be crushed and the metal reused. Simple.

What are you going to do when hundreds of tonnes of batteries need to be disposed of? It's inevitable as EVs are gaining numbers. Anyone thought about that problem? Spent batteries are poison bombs. Chemicals will readily mix with the water table and enter the food chain easily if they aren't disposed properly.

The compounds in spent batteries are dangerous both to humans and the planet. Heck throwing away a spent AAA battery from a remote control on the ground is a bad idea.

But hey, Foong overboard with rolling coal? I'll leave it upto you. If I were near any of the gases before they got disbursed, my lungs would be fu*ked

IMG_3830.JPG

This is pushing it really. It's really hard for me to make a case for this.... no matter how you look at it, it's rolling cancer... this amount of particulates in any residential neighbourhood is bullcrap.

TLDR: don't blame the fuels or vehicles, as with most problems, the root cause is humans.

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Why the tapes? Streamlining? ?
We had removed the headlamp unit ,to decrease the weight.

And to maintain aerodynamics,we taped it all over

Better start sharpening your axe. It looks like the whole world is under assault. :scared2: Wait and watch the demise of inline 4s and Vtwins too. Once they destroy cars, they will inevitably turn to bikes
I swear,I will kill anyone who ever tries to change the current engine config.

Invest in hydrogen fuel or methane,I don't care.but bang must remain.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles