British-registered ship caught taking arms to China

trackwhack

Some news on Chinese Indigenous Weapons Development

Boat laden with surface-to-air missiles stopped in Finland on its way to China | World news | The Guardian

Around 160 tonnes of explosives and 69 surface-to-air missiles have been found by Finnish officials on a cargo ship bearing a British flag and ultimately destined for China, authorities say. They said they did not know the origin of the Patriot missiles or who was supposed to receive them.

The Thor Liberty sailed from the north German port of Emden on 13 December and two days later docked in Kotka, southern Finland, to pick up a cargo of anchor chains, officials said. Its final destination was Shanghai, but it was not clear whether that was where the arms shipment was going, officials said.

Detective Superintendent Timo Virtanen of the National Bureau of Investigation said dock workers found massive amounts of picric acid – an explosive – and the missiles as they were loading the chains and alerted inspectors.

Some of the explosives were not stored properly, the customs spokesman Petri Lounatmaa said, adding that an investigation was launched into a possible breach of Finnish export and weapons trading laws and that the cargo would be impounded if determined to be illegal.

"At this stage we don't know where it was loaded on the ship or if the Thor Liberty planned a drop before its port of destination in China," Lounatmaa said.

ice berg

Boat laden with surface-to-air missiles stopped in Finland on its way to China | World news | The Guardian

Around 160 tonnes of explosives and 69 surface-to-air missiles have been found by Finnish officials on a cargo ship bearing a British flag and ultimately destined for China, authorities say. They said they did not know the origin of the Patriot missiles or who was supposed to receive them.

The Thor Liberty sailed from the north German port of Emden on 13 December and two days later docked in Kotka, southern Finland, to pick up a cargo of anchor chains, officials said. Its final destination was Shanghai, but it was not clear whether that was where the arms shipment was going, officials said.

Detective Superintendent Timo Virtanen of the National Bureau of Investigation said dock workers found massive amounts of picric acid – an explosive – and the missiles as they were loading the chains and alerted inspectors.

Some of the explosives were not stored properly, the customs spokesman Petri Lounatmaa said, adding that an investigation was launched into a possible breach of Finnish export and weapons trading laws and that the cargo would be impounded if determined to be illegal.

"At this stage we don't know where it was loaded on the ship or if the Thor Liberty planned a drop before its port of destination in China," Lounatmaa said.
Right, China cant make explosives or missiles on their own. I bet those missiles are probably state of the art , the whole 69 of them. They will put the s-300 and s-400 to shame.

They are so advanced that the chinese had to ship the whole batch of them on boat and transport them back to China.

All this has of course something to do with the indigenous weapons development.

I guess some people are really bored before the Christmas. :toilet:

trackwhack

Right, China cant make explosives or missiles on their own. I bet those missiles are probably state of the art , the whole 69 of them. They will put the s-300 and s-400 to shame.

They are so advanced that the chinese had to ship the whole batch of them on boat and transport them back to China.

All this has of course something to do with the indigenous weapons development.

I guess some people are really bored before the Christmas. :toilet:
You're inferences serve as nothing more than guilt.:rofl:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
what the hell is going on here?

i need to know the origin of patriot missiles and who sent the shipment and who was suppose to receive the shipment?

Country flag
So the transfer of weapons to China is still going on unofficially. Typical democratic administration when Clinton gave away everything to China. Good thing we turned down the Patriot.Maybe refusing the 2 US planes in the MRCA also has more to it??

agentperry

if this comes along fdi in retail then Indian govt was stupid not allowing it.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
what the hell is going on here?

i need to know the origin of patriot missiles and who sent the shipment and who was suppose to receive the shipment?
Story definitely needs confirmation.

The Thor Liberty sailed from the north German port of Emden on 13 December and two days later docked in Kotka, southern Finland, to pick up a cargo of anchor chains,
That reminds me that a friend of mine operates a private anchorage with seasonal moorings. He orders the mushroom anchors (about 500 ibs each) from India.

Last edited:
Country flag
Story definitely needs confirmation.

That reminds me that a friend of mine operates a private anchorage with seasonal moorings. He orders the mushroom anchors (about 500 ibs each) from India.

I agree, I still don't believe this. Especially when Japan and Taiwan both have Patriot.

cir

Here is a site that shows recent ports visited by Thor Liberty.

("http://www.shiptracking.eu/ais/#/getvesseldetails?mmsi=235218000")

It was in Spain on 24/11/11. Then it sailed to Germany. Then to Finland. All this - on path to China?

Not 1 or 2 missiles for research but 69 missiles? What for? To create a Patriot air-defence brigade? :p

If this news is true and the missiles are indeed destined for China, the smart Chinese must have used this as a decoy and are now celebrating with Shaojiu in hands at a secret location, :rofl:

This sure provides certain people with the excuse to accuse China of "copying" US technologies when the next generations of missiles such as the HQ-16B, HQ-16G, HQ-19 and HQ-26 make their debuts in the next couple of years. :thumb:

cir

By the way, HQ-19 test fire is on today:

A1852/11 (Issued for ZLHW ZBPE) - A TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA ESTABLISHED BOUNDED BY
N412004E1005117-N403827E1085439-N400323E1084631-N405934E1004312
BACK TO
START. VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC-UNL.ALL ACFT ARE PROHIBITED TO FLY
INTO THE AREA. SFC - UNL, 22 DEC 10:10 2011 UNTIL 22 DEC 10:50 2011. CREATED:
21 DEC 07:45 2011

Param

I agree, I still don't believe this. Especially when Japan and Taiwan both have Patriot.
All Patriot missiles are manufactured in US. Other countries operating these are staunch US allies. There is no way the missiles were secretly smuggled without the knowledge of that country's intelligence apparatus.

There is no need to secretly ship those missiles as fireworks to US allies.

But the weird thing is the tonnes of Nitroguanidine.I think China can manufacture Nitroguanidine and no need to smuggle that.

Country flag
All Patriot missiles are manufactured in US. Other countries operating these are staunch US allies. There is no way the missiles were secretly smuggled without the knowledge of that country's intelligence apparatus.

There is no need to secretly ship those missiles as fireworks to US allies.
Exactly my point why would US do something that loses credibility with it's allies and NATO
to gain nothing from making the Chinese happy?? This article is total BS .Guardian is one of the worst source
of news it is more of a junk tabloid.

cir

PS. Those who believe that HQ-19 has import of Russian technology or bears Russian influence can now start practicing tasseomancy or reading tea leaves to eke out an existence.:rofl:

trackwhack

Country flag
PS. Those who believe that HQ-19 has import of Russian technology or bears Russian influence can now start practicing tasseomancy or reading tea leaves to eke out an existence.:rofl:
HQ-19 is an inferior s-300 1970's tech at best. (The missiles for HQ-19 are still bought from Russia)

http://articles.janes.com/articles/Janes-Strategic-Weapon-Systems/HQ-19-S-400-China.html

The Russian S-400 introduced three new missiles, the 9M96, 9M96/2 and the 40N6, which can be fitted in new canisters replacing all or some of the S-300 (SA-10/-20) missile canisters on the S-300 Transporter-Erector-Launcher (TEL) vehicles

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Here is a site that shows recent ports visited by Thor Liberty.

("http://www.shiptracking.eu/ais/#/getvesseldetails?mmsi=235218000")

It was in Spain on 24/11/11. Then it sailed to Germany. Then to Finland. All this - on path to China?

Not 1 or 2 missiles for research but 69 missiles? What for? To create a Patriot air-defence brigade? :p

If this news is true and the missiles are indeed destined for China, the smart Chinese must have used this as a decoy and are now celebrating with Shaojiu in hands at a secret location, :rofl:

This sure provides certain people with the excuse to accuse China of "copying" US technologies when the next generations of missiles such as the HQ-16B, HQ-16G, HQ-19 and HQ-26 make their debuts in the next couple of years. :thumb:
By the way, HQ-19 test fire is on today:

A1852/11 (Issued for ZLHW ZBPE) - A TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA ESTABLISHED BOUNDED BY
N412004E1005117-N403827E1085439-N400323E1084631-N405934E1004312
BACK TO
START. VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC-UNL.ALL ACFT ARE PROHIBITED TO FLY
INTO THE AREA. SFC - UNL, 22 DEC 10:10 2011 UNTIL 22 DEC 10:50 2011. CREATED:
21 DEC 07:45 2011
stick to the topic, we are not talking about HQ-19 in this thread. do not troll and derail the thread

Global Defence

New threads

Articles