BrahMos Cruise Missile

Gladiator

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The CEO of Indo-Russian supersonic cruise missile firm BrahMos Aerospace has recommended to the government that he be appointed the head of a new cell under the Secretary-Defence Production, that will focus, among other things, on making the BrahMos a fully Indian missile. LiveFist has learnt that Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, the highly respected CEO of BrahMos has officially proposed to the government that he be appointed the head of a "ManTech (Manufacturing Technology) Cell", and report exclusively to the Secretary-Defence Production. Sources indicate that the proposal is a much-needed first step towards Pillai's real dream of making the BrahMos fully indigenous. India only makes the inertial navigation guidance system and fire control system of the BrahMos, while Russia continues to contribute the all-important engine, booster and seeker.

In February last year, Pillai had told me, "As long as we do not control the critical technologies, i.e. engine and seeker, Russia will call all the shots in BrahMos, including cost which is critical to export competence." It was a moment of uncanny candour for a man who has hailed the Indo-Russian model as the last word in efficiency and prudence. But Pillai's vision of a full-Indian BrahMos is not some nebulous, idealistic vision he's forcing down the government's throat. The fact is, the way things stand with Russia, Pillai seriously believes the BrahMos cannot be brought up to its full potential. For the BrahMos to be a real success, in every possible way, Pillai believes it has no choice but to be a fully Indian missile, and slowly chip away at Russia's involvement and contribution.

In the proposal sent to the Defence Ministry, Pillai writes, "India has produced the world class supersonic cruise missile by entering into a Joint Venture with Russia. The real technologies that are available to India for production of missiles are not available anywhere in the world. It is time that we indigenised these technologies and be capable of bulk production. Formulation of policy statement on ManTech along with creation of Project Management as part of BrahMos Joint Venture under Secretary of Defence Production will enable India to be self-reliant in the field of supersonic and hypersonic cruise missiles of various ranges. This will also ensure availability of assured production agency with alternatives in every field."

He goes on to add, "To fulfill the demand of own defence forces as also to ensure complete indigenization, there is a requirement of manufacturing technologies that need to be bulk produced and will provide required funding to capable and willing Indian industries for establishment of infrastructure."

Pillai says that as the ManTech chief, he will prepare an annual five-year plan for indigenization resulting in bulk production, and ensure coordination between the ManTech programme and industrial preparedness and similar manufacturing programmes of the Department of Defence, other departments and agencies and the private sector.

For starters, Pillai proposes to have his company prepare a technical report describing precisely what can be indigenized and in how much time.

PS. Dr Pillai is also, of course, in the running to be the next Chief of the DRDO. Let's see how it turns out.

Courtesy: Livefist

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: EXCLUSIVE: BrahMos Wants To Shake Russia Off

J

John

beautiful, get rid of the Russians and take off the cap on range for Brahmos 1, On a lighter load i am sure it can hit targets over 400km away. haha, time for Russia to get the heck out of Brahmos.

indian_blues

Country flag
beautiful, get rid of the Russians and take off the cap on range for Brahmos 1, On a lighter load i am sure it can hit targets over 400km away. haha, time for Russia to get the heck out of Brahmos.
don't u think that sounds like backstabbing?

So pillai want russians out of brahmos? with delays, technical problems infested with our own indigenous programmes I'm not for another ambitious one. I think starting from scratch it would take a decade to have our own supersonic/hypersonic missile. Confidence is good but over confidence is not at all.

Let us first mass produce block 1 & 2 and arm our army and AF with tooth and nail.

J

John

So pillai want russians out of brahmos? with delays, technical problems infested with our own indigenous programmes I'm not for another ambitious one. I think starting from scratch it would take a decade to have our own supersonic/hypersonic missile. Confidence is good but over confidence is not at all.

Let us first mass produce block 1 & 2 and arm our army and AF with tooth and nail.
not really we know the missiles, we have tested the new hypersonic engine in the lab all by ourselves and it hit mach 5.26 already , we have the know how, we just have to shift production of current brahmos-1 engine and seeker over here. Brahmos mk-2 with the new seeker was our own creation, the new seeker was made in Hyderbad, we are already slowly chipping away at brahmos. I think if we continue like this by 2011 the entire missile will be made in India.

p2prada

It looks like a political statement to break away from the MTCR regime.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we better start another private company and then make our own version of Brahmos missile we already have the same tech in Akash, therefore it will not be much a problem to make same type of missile with larger range.............

indian_blues

Country flag
You people also should note that Russians not showing any interest on brahmos on inducting on their side, which really puzzles me.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
You people also should note that Russians not showing any interest on brahmos on inducting on their side, which really puzzles me.
why would russians show any interest when they already developed so many ramjet supersonic missiles. Sunburn, Klub, Yakhont, Kh-31 etc. Brahmos itself is mostly based on yakhont. Even in past Soviets developed gigantic cruise missiles which can go at supersonic speed and hit warships at 400 to 500km away. Gorskhov (INS Vikramaditya) was armed with missiles too.

Country flag
Russians never promoted Brahmos because they knew it would wreck their own cruise missile markets.

natarajan

If it is real,then it is sad
but i think our indians are using this to escape from some treaty(missile>300km) should not be sold

abhi

India, Russia close to final testing of air-launched BrahMos

Indian and Russian scientists are close to final development and testing of the air-launched version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.

A top Russian defence official said a new take-off engine for launching of the missile in air and at extreme high altitudes had been developed.

Alexander Leonov, Director of the Russian Machine Building Research and Production Center, said: "we are ready for test launches."

Leonov was quoted as saying by the Itar-Tass news agency that the initial test firing of the missile would be undertaken from the Sukhoi-30 MKI, but did not specify the exact dates.

After testing, the IAF would be launch customers for the air launched BrahMos cruise missile, which will make the Indian Air Force, the only force in Asia to have such a capability.

The BrahMos is already inducted in its ship to shore role and land-to-land versions in the Indian Navy and Army. Leonov for the first time disclosed that Moscow and New Delhi were also "very close" to designing and testing of the submarine launched version of the BrahMos missile.

India, Russia close to final testing of air-launched BrahMos

J

John

brahmos is good enough on the su-30mki. I think we need a mini-brahmos hypersonic missile with a range of around 150km, with active radar seekers as well as SEAD and DEAD abilities. This can be inducted on LCA, MRCA, MCA, FGFA in large numbers, could be the primary deadly missile in our inventory. Should be air launched and should be used for naval and ground targets.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles