BrahMos Cruise Missile

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
saya saar, correct me if I am wrong but I heard some news that India has paid money for cruise missile engines in form of BrahMos price hike :) Now it seems we might see Nirbhay soon

Agantrope

finally good new for the brahmos engine, this means that GOI has taken the decision what Sh.Pillai has said to fought war with thousands and thousands of these missile, that is why the engine will now be produce in India. :emot112:
Might this be the token for the Brahmos-Ex? Im very interested in this :)

Agantrope

I would love if Vietnam is our first customer for Brahmos.
Yeah, Vietnam is mutual frnds to both india and ruks. If brahmos is armed to them then it will be the full stop for chinese entry in the south china sea.

SHASH2K2

Yeah, Vietnam is mutual frnds to both india and ruks. If brahmos is armed to them then it will be the full stop for chinese entry in the south china sea.
India and Russia should arm Vietnam with Brahmos and America should provide P8I to them . After this game will become intresting and fair for all players in South China sea and adjoining areas.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Whatever the versions Brahmos range cannot be increased more than 300 km coz of MTCR.
Somehow we need to bypass MTCR to have brahmos with longer range . I don't advocate it but if we can somehow steal or reverse engineer to have something with bigger range that will be awesome.

plugwater

Somehow we need to bypass MTCR to have brahmos with longer range . I don't advocate it but if we can somehow steal or reverse engineer to have something with bigger range that will be awesome.
You cannot have everything in one missile. I mean for longer range we have K-15(hypersonic) and nirbhay(subsonic). If we want to increase the range of brahmos means the size of the missile will also increase so its not possible.

SHASH2K2

You cannot have everything in one missile. I mean for longer range we have K-15(hypersonic) and nirbhay(subsonic). If we want to increase the range of brahmos means the size of the missile will also increase so its not possible.
DO we make K-15 in India ?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Finally a beacon of light :) at least ACM producers have extensively tested their equipment against missiles that mimic the Brahmos? Has the Brahmos ever been successfully tested against ship defense?
If the Brahmos is everything it is claimed to be why has there been no international sale - so far?

Antony said India in consultation with Russian government will export BrahMos cruise missile to friendly countries taking into account the security needs of the both countries.

Antony said presently, the missiles are being produced for meeting requirements of the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force on priority and "export will start only after meeting minimum requirements of the country".

PIB Press Release

I think that answers your concern very well now...

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
BrahMos Aerospace Ltd. to Produce Engines for Brahmos Missiles in India

The Indian-Russian venture BrahMos Aerospace Ltd. plans to produce engines for Brahmos missiles in India, CEO Sivathanu Pillai said on Friday.

The engines will be produced at the Brahmos plant in the state of Kerala in southeastern India, Pillai said. In two years its production volumes will exceed the manufacturing capabilities of the plant in Russia's Orenburg which currently produces the engines.

He said the decision was made due to a mounting demand for Brahmos missiles in the Indian Armed Forces.

The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 km (180 miles) and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kg (660 lbs). It can effectively engage ground targets from an altitude as low as 10 meters (30 feet) and has a top speed of Mach 2.8.

Established in 1998, BrahMos Aerospace, a joint Indian-Russian venture, produces and markets BrahMos supersonic missiles. The sea- and ground-launched versions have been successfully tested and put into service with the Indian Army and Navy.

ASIAN DEFENCE: BrahMos Aerospace Ltd. to Produce Engines for Brahmos Missiles in India

Country flag
If India is going to produce the engines indigenously now it makes Brahmos almost 100% indigenous. Can't we increase the range since there will be no MCTR violation with this new arrangement??

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
If India is going to produce the engines indigenously now it makes Brahmos almost 100% indigenous. Can't we increase the range since there will be no MCTR violation with this new arrangement??
Simply no idea about that. May be any other member knows more about it.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It will never be called BrahMos. We have hypersonic missile in terms of shourya already. I think it will replace Agni 1 from the inventory in short term and Agni 2 in medium term with increased range.

Neil

Country flag
LF sir...then we can even call SU-30 mki our own...we manufacture it here in India[we dont need license for production] ....
i mean we are still under international obligation and under the treaties with russia for this venture....

Agantrope

It will be like the transfer of technology, still russia holds the key, we cant do anything about it. This is my Opinion, any gurus please enlight

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
@ Indigenous Brahmos

Well Brahmos in its current form can not be called 'Indigenous Product' because afterall its a Joint Venture between DRDO & Russian NPOM. Although the DRDO has 50.5% holding while NPO keeps 49.5%. DRDO has been responsible for the Inertial Navigation, mission software, mobile launchers while NPOM played the part of propulsion by incorporating the Ramjet.

And now when Brahmos Corp. is producing missile engines in India with industry support (Indian/Russian) is to speedily meet the demands of Indian forces due to limited production capacity of Russian plant. Still the engines can not be called indigenous IMO as it still remains the property of Brahmos Corp. i.e Inter-Govt JV. Engine Production facility in India is a 'Demand-matching' measure.

@ Extending range of Brahmos

Well, present range of Brahmos in anti-shipping role is close to 300Km. But the range of land-land attack version (EX ?) is considerably more than the former IMO.

In extending the range of Brahmos there are two ways IMO -

1] India is not MTCR signatory but in July 2005 it agreed to adhere to MTCR guidelines. Russia will not break MTCR formally through Brahmos Corp. India will have to approach MTCR signatory nations to include itself in the old club so things can ease up between India-Russia. I think GOI can easily bargain for MTCR membership as the eligibility is very fitting -

As with all MTCR decisions, the decision to admit a new partner is taken by consensus. In making membership decisions, partners tend to consider whether a prospective new member would strengthen international non proliferation efforts, demonstrates a sustained and sustainable commitment to non proliferation, has a legally based effective export control system that puts into effect the MTCR Guidelines and procedures, and administers and enforces such controls effectively. The Regime's dialogue with prospective partners is conducted through the MTCR Chair, visits to capitals by teams comprised of representatives of four MTCR partners and bilateral exchanges. The group does not have an observer category.

Missile Technology Control Regime
Once India becomes MTCR signatory then Brahmos Corp. can easily pursue longer range missile for Indian armed forces & Russian forces Only. However a special clause will have to be rectified stating that the Joint Venture will not go on rampage to export the "Long-range missiles" to the Third world countries. All the exports will follow the guideline of < 300Km range & payload on these missiles will not be allowed to be more than 500Kg.

2] DRDO & MOD will have to cut short the NPOM & start producing Indigenous Brahmos with long range. In this case, India has obtained so called TOT from Russia for Propulsion systems & Russian Govt has taken the undertaking that such export of Propulsion system is not resulting into proliferation. So with imported propulsion for Brahmos & desi guidance, software systems DRDO can manufacture pretty long range Brahmos.

I somehow feel that MOD has gone for the second option as MTCR importance has fallen over the years and it'll not only cause delays but also will bring unnecessary International attention for proliferation norms making it tedious process.

Although where does Hypersonic Brahmos fits in this whole scenario is a interesting development to see in coming 2-3 years as probably by 2014 Hypersonic Brahmos tests will become reality.

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the 290 km range of brahmos is not due to limitations of on boad fuel but due to the mission software on the missile which makes the missile abort after 290 km even if the target is just 15 km away.the GOI has no plans to sign the mtcr.i think as mr. pillai once stated india should go for its own indigeneous ramjet engine in brahmos to get the the "total pain in the neck" that is russia out of its way.the drdo should get a separate name for this missile and extend its range as per requirement.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles