Avani, the 1st Indian woman to fly a fighter solo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

Growing up in a small town named Deolond near Rewa in Madhya Pradesh, Avani Chaturvedi had never in her wildest dreams imagined she would one day become the first-ever Indian woman to break the sound barrier in a supersonic fighter all alone.

But Avani, who likes to play the violin and paint, has done precisely that and in the process created history. Among the first three women fighter pilots being trained by the IAF, shattering the deeprooted combat-exclusion policy for their gender in the Indian armed forces, Avani flew a 30-minute solo sortie in a MiG-21 at the Jamnagar airbase on Monday afternoon.

“My heartiest congratulations to Flying Officer Avani Chaturvedi for successfully clearing her first solo sortie on a MiG-21 ‘Bison’ fighter. The IAF has always taken a lead in providing an equal platform to women officers. It’s a red letter day for the country,” said Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa, speaking to TOI on Wednesday.

Avani, whose father is an executive engineer in the MP government, however, is too busy with her gruelling fighting training regime. But she had earlier said, “Any air force is defined by its fighters. My dream is to become a good fighter pilot, on whom my seniors can rely when it comes to flying live operations. I want to fly the best fighter aircraft and learn more and more each day.”

That she will certainly have to do. As will her colleagues, Bhawana Kanth and Mohana Singh, who like her will go for solo fighter sorties only after undertaking over a dozen “dual-check” sorties in twin-seat MiG-21 Type 69 trainers with qualified fighter instructors to learn the basics of flying combat jets.

It’s a totally different ballgame to handle the highly-demanding and ageing MiG-21 ‘Bisons’, which have virtually the highest landing and takeoff speed in the world at 340kmph, after flying only training aircraft like the Pilatus PC-7 turboprops, Kiran and Hawk advanced jet trainers.

Avani, who was commissioned into the fighter stream after basic training in June 2016, still has over a year to go before she can be deployed for combat missions with her 23 “Panthers” Squadron. The first solo flight is just the initial step in the exhaustive operational syllabus that transforms rookies into full fledged fighter pilots capable of handling the intricacies of high-voltage combat flying.

She will have to learn tactical flying and manoeuvres after consolidating her general handling of MiG-21s in multiple solo sorties. Then will follow the air-to-air and air-toground combat training. Once she becomes “fully ops (operational) by day” on the MiG-21s, she will have to learn night flying during the “moon” and “dark phases” on them. A BTech in computer science from Jaipur, Avani has her task cut out for her.

https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/ODN/TimesOfIndia/#

She's finally broken the glass ceiling! Good luck to her! I hope she becomes fully ops (day and night) soon and starts flying the Rafale in the near future!! :)

airstrike99

Country flag
Really? Then what news would make news for you? Do let us know.
yeah... thousands of men have died in making and testing of prototypes of airplanes. but now one woman flies a fighter and suddenly she is sensational news. everything from her birth to present day life experiences are some kind of so called 'golden moments'.

IAF will never send women to cross borders in rafales or any other planes in actual combats.
all of this is just to calm down some social justice fem/nist retar/ds in media and society.
these women will just act as some inspirational poster girls in the future with ads saying "look an woman flew a rafale."
all such SJW nonsense doesn't work in military.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
yeah... thousands of men have died in making and testing of prototypes of airplanes. but now one woman flies a fighter and suddenly she is sensational news. everything from her birth to present day life experiences are some kind of so called 'golden moments'.

IAF will never send women to cross borders in rafales or any other planes in actual combats.
all of this is just to calm down some social justice fem/nist retar/ds in media and society.
these women will just act as some inspirational poster girls in the future with ads saying "look an woman flew a rafale."
FYI opening post is from 2018.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
FYI opening post is from 2018.
Ya'll Nibbiars Yeah thats why even more sensational. Now days even if a girl says she would become PM like Indira the whole media will rush. And if one of us said will become a Pm like Modi. You are a Nazi Sympathier's. :truestory:

Last edited:

mokoman

Country flag

thousands of men have died in making and testing of prototypes of airplanes

:rofl:

sorry dude but this line is pretty damn funny. LOL.

WarriorIndian

Country flag

Are you kidding me? IAF is not your institution that creates dummies at work. Its a professional force that trains "FIGHTER PILOTS". The plane doesn't know who is flying it, its the skill that counts and IAF bonds the two. Woman Pilots have seen action before and will see combat too.

airstrike99

Country flag
Are you kidding me? IAF is not your institution that creates dummies at work. Its a professional force that trains "FIGHTER PILOTS". The plane doesn't know who is flying it, its the skill that counts and IAF bonds the two. Woman Pilots have seen action before and will see combat too.

The plane doesn't know who is flying it
hmmm.. yes. the floor here is made out of floor.

Woman Pilots have seen action before and will see combat too.
yeah.... send a woman in 100 million$ aircraft to the front-lines. good luck with that.
don't ask me what happens and how she handles it, if the female pilot encounters a situation similar to abhinandan.
just 2 days ago 1 mig 21 pilot died, but barely any coverage. "cuz HE iS A MAn BRoO. "

cuz who cares bro.. indian taxslav.....i mean taxpayer is always ready to pay the price when dumb decisions are made.

i won't be suprised, if the media starts coverage on how many times she uses her phone a day, how many liters of water does she drink. how many times she uses her bathroom etc. "cuZ eMPOweRMenT."

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
i don't see any point with this news. what's so great about it.
breaking barriers is very important.

While I have reservations of women serving in frontline infantry, there are a lot number of roles that are perfectly capable of doing a damn good job.

There are lot of positions in military that women can enter. Remember that we are facing huge shortage on officers front. Women can fill many of these roles, just that the barriers need to be broken.

Shredder

Country flag

yeah.... send a woman in 100 million$ aircraft to the front-lines. good luck with that.
don't ask me what happens and how she handles it, if the female pilot encounters a situation similar to abhinandan.
just 2 days ago 1 mig 21 pilot died, but barely any coverage. "cuz HE iS A MAn BRoO. "

cuz who cares bro.. indian taxslav.....i mean taxpayer is always ready to pay the price when dumb decisions are made.

i won't be suprised, if the media starts coverage on how many times she uses her phone a day, how many liters of water does she drink. how many times she uses her bathroom etc. "cuZ eMPOweRMenT."
Jeez, take it easy. No one is belittling anyone's contribution or sacrifice here. What is being highlighted is something which has happened for one of the first times, fuck sfj shit, there's no place for that in the Armed Forces. Chill out man. And yeah, thread is 3+ years old. What got you so ruffled up.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

Wow! You do look like a male chauvinist! I need to report you to the National Commission for Women for denigrating them!! :cowboy:

airstrike99

Country flag
Jeez, take it easy. No one is belittling anyone's contribution or sacrifice here. What is being highlighted is something which has happened for one of the first times, fuck sfj shit, there's no place for that in the Armed Forces. Chill out man. And yeah, thread is 3+ years old. What got you so ruffled up.
yes man..i accept that i got carried away. i was angry on society and the media. surely the iaf knows its stuff. without skills they wouldn't just select some random chick. i am sure she is a well talented fighter pilot.

everything is fine, but the moment media writes ridiculous stuff like "she does this in her free time. she used to be that in her past" " look how empowering etc blah blah."

remove those nonsense and you could see normal & proper news like.
a man or a woman by the name.... of age.... has become a new fighter pilot.... they have extensive skills such as.....

look how informative & pleasant it looks.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Wow! You do look like a male chauvinist! I need to report you to the National Commission for Women for denigrating them!! :cowboy:
Ya'll Nibbiar you are one if them aren't you. :dude:

airstrike99

Country flag
yeah good luck with that. the fact that you need to report to some group, created for such purposes shows that you are afraid of cold truths. go on keep simping for life. but its f-ing tax money of indian taxpayer (i am part of that too)being used to fund such groups.
i dont care if you call me with some fashionable words . misogynist, chuvanist, etc etc. when i pay taxes. i do have the right to say somethings that might be unpleasant for re : tards like you.
the more i think about it, the more i feel civillization and society were a mistake. why force myself to be a part of some stupid ideology called civillization. which is nothing but sharing of resources without fighting.

its better to be a normal barbarious monke than be part of this insanity.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
But sir
That's not the point is it?
Her flying the aircraft can pave way to the untapped talent pool in the country, women who may have the talent but not the gutsy-go to even apply, fearing the propaganda that armed forces are mysogenistic and so on
Sans frontline combat
I do agree with this part though 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles