Astra BVRAAM

power_monger

Country flag
All of you missing a very important point. Speed reduces maneuverability. Ballistic missiles can do a max of 5g. Drones although slow can do 40 g. Air to air missiles are likely to face difficulty intercepting a highly maneuverable slow target than fast moving target(not extreme fast targets ).

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
All of you missing a very important point. Speed reduces maneuverability. Ballistic missiles can do a max of 5g. Drones although slow can do 40 g. Air to air missiles are likely to face difficulty intercepting a highly maneuverable slow target than fast moving target(not extreme fast targets ).
What are the actual drones able to reach 40 G ???

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I've yet to heard of a SAM or AAM doing 40G. Leave alone drone.
quite all AAM are able to reach 40, and even 50G (MICA is 50G).
SAM ? maybe not as they are heavier (and use a heavier warhead, more lethal at a higher range of the target).

vishnugupt

Country flag
So when user trial of Astra missile going to take place?? @Defcon 1
What weather or season is IAF waiting for??

vishnugupt

Country flag
Astra undergone two User assisted trial. Next trials would be after the LSP delivery.
User trial after LSP delivery?? Why it is necessary to complete delivery first for user trial?? Can't they do trial with few missiles?? What they want to check in Astra as a system??

Chinmoy

Country flag
User trial after LSP delivery?? Why it is necessary to complete delivery first for user trial?? Can't they do trial with few missiles?? What they want to check in Astra as a system??
In development of any system, the hardest part is investment. DRDO on whole can't go on and keep on developing prototypes after prototypes for testing. Somewhere user would have to come with investment. LSP means that 50 nos of missiles would be at the hand of IAF to test it under different scenario and targets. The results would then be shared with DRDO and tweaking would take place if needed.

Remember the LCA prog? There too LSP has been provided to IAF and consequently we have seen changes done before IOC and then FOC.

vishnugupt

Country flag
In development of any system, the hardest part is investment. DRDO on whole can't go on and keep on developing prototypes after prototypes for testing. Somewhere user would have to come with investment. LSP means that 50 nos of missiles would be at the hand of IAF to test it under different scenario and targets. The results would then be shared with DRDO and tweaking would take place if needed.

Remember the LCA prog? There too LSP has been provided to IAF and consequently we have seen changes done before IOC and then FOC.
My previous post meant to @Defcon 1 but anyway.
I think we call it optimization of weapon for better use, not trials which is a continuous process of any weapon system. Sometimes developer add some new features. By the way who told these are LPS of astra ?? These r production variant .
And what is this http://idrw.org/air-force-to-place-fresh-orders-for-astra-missile/
IAF ordering further Astras without any user trials? How
LSP of Tejas was never given to IAF testing without ADA scientists. Now IAF doing optimization of Tejas for better role and situation before deploying them on forward airfields ( may be done with it) and same thing is happening with Astra. It is inducted like tejas

IndianHawk

Country flag
They want to check the quality of production. So that faults can be remedied. If the quality is robust and no performance issue than the mass manufacturing can be started.

vishnugupt

Country flag
They want to check the quality of production. So that faults can be remedied. If the quality is robust and no performance issue than the mass manufacturing can be started.
Exactly.
That means Astra has been inducted and there will be no user trials

IndianHawk

Country flag
Exactly.
That means Astra has been inducted and there will be no user trials
User trials keep happening even after induction to improve subsequent batches. All missiles including Agni series go through it.

Defcon 1

Country flag
My previous post meant to @Defcon 1 but anyway.
I think we call it optimization of weapon for better use, not trials which is a continuous process of any weapon system. Sometimes developer add some new features. By the way who told these are LPS of astra ?? These r production variant .
And what is this http://idrw.org/air-force-to-place-fresh-orders-for-astra-missile/
IAF ordering further Astras without any user trials? How
LSP of Tejas was never given to IAF testing without ADA scientists. Now IAF doing optimization of Tejas for better role and situation before deploying them on forward airfields ( may be done with it) and same thing is happening with Astra. It is inducted like tejas
You post has been replied to appropriately by the other members. No need for my intervention. Please carry on with your fantasies and continue claiming that Astra has been rejected by IAF.

Btw, the article you just posted speaks otherwise.

vishnugupt

Country flag
User trials keep happening even after induction to improve subsequent batches. All missiles including Agni series go through it.
I got your point
But we call it user validation trials not user trials

vishnugupt

Country flag
You post has been replied to appropriately by the other members. No need for my intervention. Please carry on with your fantasies and continue claiming that Astra has been rejected by IAF.

Btw, the article you just posted speaks otherwise.
Previously I said.
Rejected for Tejas MK1 not for others
Please don't change my words

Defcon 1

Country flag
Previously I said.
Rejected for Tejas MK1 not for others
Please don't change my words
Thanks for correcting me. Guess we will just have to wait for Astra's integration with Tejas for you to eat your words.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Thanks for correcting me. Guess we will just have to wait for Astra's integration with Tejas for you to eat your words.
Ok. Let's wait.
Remeber, Integration on Tejas MK1 not any LSP , MK1a or MK2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles