Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tactical Frog

Country flag
@Mikesingh @AUSTERLITZ
Wanted to show you guys my article about the deadliest gun for OBUA—Hk416F.
Would love to know your feedback on this.
It will help me improve. :) 👍

I liked it very much. Entertaining and educative, with the right balance between the two qualities.

sydsnyper

Country flag
Ise kehte hain ji Rifle development... I had read somewhere way back.. The Japanese were offered the M-14 (or was it the M-16 rifle, I dont recollect which) by the US back when. But the Japanese found the rifle to be unwieldy for their average body type and thus decided to develop the Type-89 rifle that was suited for the average Japanese soldier.

Kchontha

Country flag
Assault rifle designing and manufacturing is not rocket science technology; so many OEMs in India including both private and public sector have been manufacturing so many brands of assault rifles meant for the primary end user the Indian army but without any sufficient orders. However indian army should work in sync with one or two OEMs for their assault rifle requirement to avoid unfair and unhealthy competion among these entities just like major army in the world did.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Looks like a copy of SCAR L !!
View attachment 48291

I don't know who's stopping OFB/DRDO to try making AR style rifles; They just keep on putting cosmetics on INSAS and present it as their new product.
Our OFB is hell bent on AK style rifles. Its like that they can't even think outside of AK platform.

And its not totally wrong if you can provide a reliable firearm. But they can't even copy successfully. Each & Every single rifle OFB produces fails on army trials.

OFB just puts on a picatinny rail on the old rifles and tells everyone its a new product. They say "Every single optics in the world can be mounted in it". Just follow the statements if you don't believe me.

I mean duh!!!! dude that's the point of having a picatinny rail.

Last edited:

piKacHHu

Country flag
Our OFB is hell bent on AK style rifles. Its like that they can't even think outside of AK platform.

And its not totally wrong if you can provide a reliable firearm. But they can't even copy successfully. Each & Every single rifle OFB produces fails on army trials.

OFB just puts on a picatinny rail on the old rifles and tells everyone its a new product. They say "Every single optics in the world can be mounted in it". Just follow the statements if you don't believe me.

I mean duh!!!! dude that's the point of having a picatinny rail.
Perhaps, their latest sniper rifle is the testimony of their state of mind. Heck, even M24 looks more modern than this one.
DUO3ClHU8AIlKVP.jpg
m24.jpg

It literally gives me shivers when I see news about OFB pitching some new product (INSAS + Picattiny rail+Auto Fire mode) as potential replacement for existing INSAS. They are hell bent on equipping our infantry with vintage firearm.
OFB/ARDE is stuck in cold-war era; ever refusing to come out of it to design & produce firearms for 21st century infantry.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Perhaps, their latest sniper rifle is the testimony of their state of mind. Heck, even M24 looks more modern than this one.
View attachment 48404 View attachment 48405

It literally gives me shivers when I see news about OFB pitching some new product (INSAS + Picattiny rail+Auto Fire mode) as potential replacement for existing INSAS. They are hell bent on equipping our infantry with vintage firearm.
OFB/ARDE is stuck in cold-war era; ever refusing to come out of it to design & produce firearms for 21st century infantry.
Indeed. And Ak platform is good. Nobody is saying its bad. Just make a good and reliable copy of the AK to pitch to the army. Was it too hard?

They should look to IWI, galil is also an AK rifle. But the difference between galil and any rifle produced by OFB is like difference between USA and Bangladesh.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
You know @piKacHHu its very frustrating that we have our own ICBM, missile defence system, our own India made fighter jets but don't have a reliable assault rifle.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
You know @piKacHHu its very frustrating that we have our own ICBM, missile defence system, our own India made fighter jets but don't have a reliable assault rifle.
We have the technology to build them but quality production etc. I have a feeling even there we will find ourselves wanting.

piKacHHu

Country flag
Based on my interaction with spectrum of jawans/officers from DSC/CISF to Navy, I feel there is lack of passion for the firearm they carry (It's strictly my opinion based on limited set of people I met; no offence to others those who are really passionate). I mean for them routine cleaning and firing which they learn in drills is just part of a job with no emotions attached for the rifle to think about its improvement. And this makes a lot of difference; On the other hand, gunsmiths with no formal education in mechanical engineering can produce very effective & ergonomic AR in the US or UK just cause of this passion . And that reflects a lot in the overall picture of their infantry weapons.
What I am saying is that the reason for this dilapidated state of OFB's product could also be attributed to the user's apathy to get a good product. What they just do, fire some rounds without stoppage and declare that their product has met all the user requirements. Moreover, their production quality sucks and their is no doubt about it.
They must see that AK is not synonymous with reliability so copying everything from that (to be precise, INSAS is FAL +AK) will not lead to a good weapon system as there other features also attached to it. There are DI based systems running well with US infantry, & of course, they don't always fight in conditioned & clean rooms; with so many combat operations in their kitty, conditions they encountered were equally dirty and rough as the Indian conditions are.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Based on my interaction with spectrum of jawans/officers from DSC/CISF to Navy, I feel there is lack of passion for the firearm they carry (It's strictly my opinion based on limited set of people I met; no offence to others those who are really passionate). I mean for them routine cleaning and firing which they learn in drills is just part of a job with no emotions attached for the rifle to think about its improvement. And this makes a lot of difference; On the other hand, gunsmiths with no formal education in mechanical engineering can produce very effective & ergonomic AR in the US or UK just cause of this passion . And that reflects a lot in the overall picture of their infantry weapons.
What I am saying is that the reason for this dilapidated state of OFB's product could also be attributed to the user's apathy to get a good product. What they just do, fire some rounds without stoppage and declare that their product has met all the user requirements. Moreover, their production quality sucks and their is no doubt about it.
They must see that AK is not synonymous with reliability so copying everything from that (to be precise, INSAS is FAL +AK) will not lead to a good weapon system as there other features also attached to it. There are DI based systems running well with US infantry, & of course, they don't always fight in conditioned & clean rooms; with so many combat operations in their kitty, conditions they encountered were equally dirty and rough as the Indian conditions are.
That's your opinion. Passion or no passion. There has to be a competition atleast so they can make better arms.

OFB since it was formed its been unchallenged in India. They know that no matter how crappy their rifle is, still its going end up for the army.

Jailor

Country flag
That's your opinion. Passion or no passion. There has to be a competition atleast so they can make better arms.

OFB since it was formed its been unchallenged in India. They know that no matter how crappy their rifle is, still its going end up for the army.
One problem existing in all these sarkari companies is some rigid stubborn old people too egoistic or prideful to change, we need young blood at key positions who are innovative and passionate .

Basically OFB is now a kind of a blackmail organisation, look for their strikes if government mulls competition in form of private players to their monopoly.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
One problem existing in all these sarkari companies is some rigid stubborn old people too egoistic or prideful to change, we need young blood at key positions who are innovative and passionate .

Basically OFB is now a kind of a blackmail organisation, look for their strikes if government mulls competition in form of private players to their monopoly.
Indeed. Govt should just retire them with pensions so that they won't complain.:troll:

Flying Dagger

Country flag
View attachment 48404 View attachment 48405

M24 is a timeless beauty.. no comparison with it..

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Well I blame the Gun Control in India to be a primary reason for the lack of Passion regarding guns.
Then again Germany has one of the strictest gun law and still have Heckler and Koch.

Regardless Indian company have come up with a decent gun platforms.

Astr defence

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles