Army scuttles Arjun trials to push through T-90 purchase

Decklander

Arjun has lower ground pressure due to seven wheels on its tracks. have you ever understood the reason as to why heavy trucks have more wheels? same is true for Arjun. It distributes its increased weight on a bigger surface area compared to T-90. So it has lesser ground pressure. This also ensures better traction for better accelaration and stopping which is why Arjun outsmarted T-90.

p2prada

Track length and width plays a part in ground pressure. Abrams has 7 wheels too and has a high ground pressure.

Damian

just check and compare the specs for ground pressure of all modern MBTs with ARJUN and the T-90..Don't post in the forum without even the courtesy of checking a few basic specs.Use at least google, if not some big tank design books you read.
R.P. Hunnicutt provides such infromations about M1A1. Weight - Combat Load is 58 metric tons, same as Arjun Mk1. Ground pressure 14,4 psi. This is credible source, and data is from US Army documentation, do you have similiar credible source from Indian Army documentation or manuals for crews? I suppose not.

Arjun also have 14 road wheeles (7 per each side) and it have tracks based more or less on Dhiel tracks (if they are not licenced Dhiel tracks as they are very similiar), Dhiel tracks have the same width as T156 and T158 tracks used on M1 series.

Oh and BTW, I am from generation, that was teached that internet is not a source for academic discussion, but documents or books are, do you have documents or books? Google is not a source, because in the internet, everyone can write what he want.

So as per your tank expertise an army should buy a tank with 1000 hp power rating and accept a loss of 200 hp due to heat and install A/c ,Install powerful APU,design their own separate storage for ammo whether outside the tank or inside the tank.
Will a country that but just 50 or 60 of your T-90s can do that?

is this the modern MBT standard?
Oh god, you completely do not understand a written word do you?

It is a known fact that Diesel engines lost from 100HP to 200HP for cooling, it is completely normal. While A/C and APU units can be installed outside vehicle and are not needed to occupy space inside.

As for separate ammo storage, it is not present both in Arjun and in T-90S as well as 99% of other currently used modern MBT's, the only MBT with 100% ammunition stored separately to the crew in magazines with blow off panels are M1 series.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Here, clearly corrupt con-gress family, babus, Army procurement teams, middlemen etc are playing their filthy game!

Arjun will face obstacles if nothing is done to check corruption of the con-gress and their damad to ruin the nation!

Paid media crooks will go googoo-gagaga about inferior T-90s!

No doubt secularism is such a bane!

vram

Country flag
R.P. Hunnicutt provides such infromations about M1A1. Weight - Combat Load is 58 metric tons, same as Arjun Mk1. Ground pressure 14,4 psi. This is credible source, and data is from US Army documentation, do you have similiar credible source from Indian Army documentation or manuals for crews? I suppose not.

Oh and BTW, I am from generation, that was teached that internet is not a source for academic discussion, but documents or books are, do you have documents or books? Google is not a source, because in the internet, everyone can write what he want.
Abram M1A1 was first deployed for Combat during the year 1991 in Saudi Arabia for the Gulf war. According to Wiki there where 1848 tanks deployed. I repeat 1848 number of tanks had already been commited,built improved upon and manufactured in the USA.The lesson learnt during their production would have documented and implemented by then. Enough time and enough specimens to go around and write a whole research thesis.

How many ARJUN have been built till now????

You are comparing apples to oranges. R P Hanicutt's book came out for first print in the year 1990 during an time when ebooks and internet where unheard of in the most parts on normal day to day life. The main saga of ARJUN happened during the internet age obviously most notes and related documentation would be available only in the Internet. Ironically the book you mentioned is no longer in print and funnily enough available as used copies in a e-commerce site AMAZON in the gasp! Internet. Nobody uses books these days world is moving towards ebooks and banging on about hardcover books having moral supiriority is plan snobishness.

I have already pointed to a article in my previous post giving a detailed comparison between in the Arjun and the T90 S. The Indian media to a large extent has been fair and infact downright critical of the ARJUN. whether you accept this information or not is upto your bais.

Also the question is not whether it is a known fact that the 1000 HP diesel engines loose thier power or not.. the question is whether THIS has to be accepted WHEN A BETTER ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE????

sayareakd

Country flag
guys most important thing is the mind set of Indian army officers, in Defexpo, when we were on Arjun tank, one of the officer from tank core (he was wearing black army uniform) came, asked the crew about how the tank is, then he said that GOI offered us Arjun tank, he said "we told govt that give us anything but we dont want Arjun" :tsk: He had no idea about Arjun tank, still he made up his mind that it is useless tank. This must be foreign maal mentality.

Another important factor which is against Arjun tank (but now slowly changing) is the fact that now many officers of IA are exposed to Arjun tank. Officers are trained on Soviet era equipments therefore mindset is like that.

Damian

Abram M1A1 was first deployed for Combat during the year 1991 in Saudi Arabia for the Gulf war. According to Wiki there where 1848 tanks deployed. I repeat 1848 number of tanks had already been commited,built improved upon and manufactured in the USA.The lesson learnt during their production would have documented and implemented by then. Enough time and enough specimens to go around and write a whole research thesis.

How many ARJUN have been built till now????

You are comparing apples to oranges. R P Hanicutt's book came out for first print in the year 1990 during an time when ebooks and internet where unheard of in the most parts on normal day to day life. The main saga of ARJUN happened during the internet age obviously most notes and related documentation would be available only in the Internet. Ironically the book you mentioned is no longer in print and funnily enough available as used copies in a e-commerce site AMAZON in the gasp! Internet. Nobody uses books these days world is moving towards ebooks and banging on about hardcover books having moral supiriority is plan snobishness.

I have already pointed to a article in my previous post giving a detailed comparison between in the Arjun and the T90 S. The Indian media to a large extent has been fair and infact downright critical of the ARJUN. whether you accept this information or not is upto your bais.

Also the question is not whether it is a known fact that the 1000 HP diesel engines loose thier power or not.. the question is whether THIS has to be accepted WHEN A BETTER ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE????
:facepalm:

1) What the hell have Desert Storm to a simple thing like technical characteristics of vehicle?

2) You really do not understand the point about books do you? The point is not a form of book, it can be even ebook I do not care, the point is a source documentation and credibility by authors name and sources he use... really education these days is low, why people do not understand such simple things? :tsk:

3) You do not understand that every engine lost power for cooling. For example MTU MB873 used in Leopard 2 have nominal power of 1500HP, but in reality it looses 220HP for cooling. The original AGT-1500 have also nominal 1500HP but looses 379HP and modernized AGT-1500 looses only 131HP.

Which means:

MB873 - 1280HP.
AGT-1500 - 1121HP.
Modernized AGT-1500 - 1369HP.

Arjun uses MB838 1400HP engine, this is engine designed by the same company as MB873 the MTU. We can assume it also looses 220HP for cooling, which means that in reality Arjun's engine provides power for sprockets of only 1180HP.

What engine Indian T-90S uses? V-84? If yest, then V-84 have power of 840HP and looses for cooling only 95HP which means it provides for sprockets 745HP.

But T-90S can also use V-96 which have nominal power of 1250HP, and if we assume it also looses only 95HP for cooling then it provides 1155HP for sprockets.

BTW Data provided to me by Militarysta, sources are various official documents he have in his collection.

Oh and BTW, compare the engine power with vehicles weight that use discussed type of engine.

Last edited:

pmaitra

3) You do not understand that every engine lost power for cooling. For example MTU MB873 used in Leopard 2 have nominal power of 1500HP, but in reality it looses 220HP for cooling. The original AGT-1500 have also nominal 1500HP but looses 379HP and modernized AGT-1500 looses only 131HP.

Which means:

MB873 - 1280HP.
AGT-1500 - 1121HP.

Arjun uses MB838 1400HP engine, this is engine designed by the same company as MB873 the MTU. We can assume it also looses 220HP for cooling, which means that in reality Arjun's engine provides power for sprockets of only 1180HP.

What engine Indian T-90S uses? V-84? If yest, then V-84 have power of 840HP and looses for cooling only 95HP which means it provides for sprockets 745HP.

But T-90S can also use V-96 which have nominal power of 1250HP, and if we assume it also looses only 95HP for cooling then it provides 1155HP for sprockets.

BTW Data provided to me by Militarysta, sources are various official documents he have in his collection.

Oh and BTW, compare the engine power with vehicles weight that use discussed type of engine.
Surely you don't believe that the V-84 and V-96 lose the same amount of power for cooling, or do you?

I'll wait for a confirmed statistic.

Damian

Surely you don't believe that the V-84 and V-96 lose the same amount of power for cooling, or do you?
Of course I do not believe. This is only assumption because we do not have exact data. Still V-96 is very similiar to V-84, as well as MB838 will be very similiar to MB873. So we can assume something, though precise data would be nice thing.

p2prada

We have been over this discussion time and time again. T-90A or the specific version India has, the T-90S is a very good tank. At the time it was rolling out of the factory in Russia, Arjun was plagued by a multitude of problems and technical deficiencies. It had an old analog electronics system which was upgraded only in 2005. It could not pull a mine trawl. It also had other issues that come with tank development and which we necessarily do not know of. For eg: There have been engine failures during AUCRT trials which meant the Arjun saw 4 engine changes within 1000Km, which is bad. This is just one of them. In 2005, an imported rangefinder failed in the desert heat and the tank gun could not get enough targeting information to fire its gun.

CVRDE has taken time to fix these issues and came out with a successful, ready to induct Arjun in 2010. That's nearly 13 years since the T-90 came out. So, by the time the Arjun was ready we know that the technology on this machine was behind the T-90 in many aspects, like the armour, gun, ammo etc. This was established on this forum itself, using open source information. Considering the T-90 was chosen 10 years ago, it made no sense to induct a tank like Arjun a decade later. So, the production was capped at 124. This was called, as we all know, the Arjun Mk1.

The Arjun Mk2 was mooted with various modifications to a lot of aspects like armour and electronics, including a APS. According to open source information, we do not have any information on the Mk2. So, we do not yet know how it stacks up against the T-90S or the latest T-90 iteration, the T-90MS. Whether the IA considers the T-90MS superior to the Arjun Mk2 or not, we do not know. We do not even know if Arjun Mk2 will be ready within the same time frame as whats required by the Army. But what we can say is that if the flaws on the Arjun Mk1 is fixed on the Arjun Mk2, add the new electronics to it and it should be better in many aspects than the, now 15 years old, T-90S.

Now, if you want to "guess" which of the tanks is superior, T-90MS or Arjun Mk2, we have very little information going that allows anybody to compare the two. So, there is no point in getting into it. All we know is the T-90MS is a lighter tank, IA crews are well trained on the T-72 and hence the T-90, including maintenance. IA also has the infrastructure ready for the T-90S. We also know that current gen ammo is better on the T-90S than what's available for Arjun Mk1 (open source info). We also know new ammo is being made for both tanks today, but we do not know how good these new shells are. We also know that the T-90MS would be cheaper than the Arjun Mk2 considering Ajai Shukla's article states 346 T-90MS will come at 10000 Crores which equates to 28 Crores for a T-90MS while Arjun Mk2 is expected to cost over 40 Crores per unit according to CVRDE. So, considering these aspects the T-90MS has the obvious advantage over any tank, let alone the Arjun. Now, if we merely extrapolate the T-90MS being as good as the Arjun Mk2 in terms of propulsion, armour, gun and ammo, then all advantages fall to the T-90MS.

If we say the Arjun Mk2 is better in terms of firepower, protection and ammo, even then the numbers being inducted is too small to justify a heavier Arjun force, regardless of being deployed in the mountains in the North East. The only aspects we know for sure is that the T-90 has the better gun and engine because the Arjun will continue with the same rifled gun and 1400HP engine even after the weight upgrade while the T-90MS will have a new engine to make up for the weight upgrade.

If we consider the Arjun will further develop into the Mk3 and find itself as a replacement for the old T-72s after 2020, then that is an entirely different topic for discussion and completely out of the scope of anybody here. I am pretty sure it is currently out of scope for both the Army and CVRDE too, as it stands today.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
May I suggest a bit different angle to this discussion above i.e. read the lead article is Ajay Shukla`s paper (published a few days back) with a grain of salt. He was army officer and has now turned a journalist.

My point is that every thing Ajay Shukla says as a journalist need not be taken true on its face value.

If the Arjun II trials have gone realy well this summer then no Army directorate will ever be able to overlook its versatility. I do not believe right up front that everybody and his brother in the military command structure has been bribed to buy T-90MS model adapted to the sub zero temperatures.

In same breath Ajay Shukla published the very next day another paper damming the Future Main Battle Tank project in favor of succussive upgradation of Arjun tank. This time he quotes the army sources for dumping Future Main Battle Tank.

My point here again is that according to Shukla the same army which one point is scuttling the Arjun II in favor of T-90 MS is favoring Arjun Tank and later incarnations of it for the future. (Israelis do this with their Merkava Tank. They have gone from model 1 to 4 in 40 years).

I say it again that that the Indian Army command structure has not gone wild to overlook the performance of Arjun Tank.

Perhaps you guys read Ajay Shkla with a grain of salt.

Broadsword

pmaitra

Perhaps you guys read Ajay Shkla with a grain of salt.
I for one take everything, from Ajay Shukla to MoD with a grain of salt.

Forget grain, HERE is a big lump of salt.

The problem is, just like we are debating here, I am sure Army bigwigs are also debating within themselves, and I am sure one should expect a lot of vacillation from their side as well. Add political considerations, and it becomes more complicated.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
:facepalm:

1) What the hell have Desert Storm to a simple thing like technical characteristics of vehicle?

2) You really do not understand the point about books do you? The point is not a form of book, it can be even ebook I do not care, the point is a source documentation and credibility by authors name and sources he use... really education these days is low, why people do not understand such simple things? :tsk:

Which means:

MB873 - 1280HP.
AGT-1500 - 1121HP.

The M1 A1's ground pressure is arrived by dividing the weight of the tank by M1A1 tank's track area.
The arjun's ground pressure is arrived by dividing the weight of the tank by arjun tank's track area.

The ground pressure for T-72 is 0.84 or close to it.It is quite possible that army GSQR for arjun too gave the same ground pressure per square inch for arjun,accordingly the track width of arjun must have been designed for that parameter.

And people have given you as many table of contents for this information.
If you want a source for arjun's ground pressure from a book written before the induction of arjun how can that be done?
Kunal too posted about it.
You dont know what is the ground pressure of arjun is, won't accept even if many people say what it is? Then what is the point of having this thread?

Separate ammo storage is there for arjun ,you yourself had a long discussed in the arjun thread with kunal about it.And a detailed discussion about blow off panels was also there.Now you are saying that it is not there in arjun.Should we start all over again?

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
We have been over this discussion time and time again. T-90A or the specific version India has, the T-90S is a very good tank. At the time it was rolling out of the factory in Russia, Arjun was plagued by a multitude of problems and technical deficiencies. It had an old analog electronics system which was upgraded only in 2005. It could not pull a mine trawl. It also had other issues that come with tank development and which we necessarily do not know of. For eg: There have been engine failures during AUCRT trials which meant the Arjun saw 4 engine changes within 1000Km, which is bad. This is just one of them. In 2005, an imported rangefinder failed in the desert heat and the tank gun could not get enough targeting information to fire its gun.

My question is whether the T-90 was put through the same kind of stringent evaluation done for arjun?
Were the T-90's electronics tested for rajasthan's desert condition?
T-90s sighting system and thermal imaging system too failed in the desert.
Whether the loss of power in desert condition deemed acceptable then?
Whether an international tender was put in place?
Since the army insisted on 4 men crew tank why it did not invite a global tender like MMRCA and evaluate all options before buying T-90??

SO when a 1000 tank order was put in place T-90 was nowhere a finished product in fact it had as many problems as arjun.
CVRDE has taken time to fix these issues and came out with a successful, ready to induct Arjun in 2010. That's nearly 13 years since the T-90 came out. So, by the time the Arjun was ready we know that the technology on this machine was behind the T-90 in many aspects, like the armour, gun, ammo etc. This was established on this forum itself, using open source information. Considering the T-90 was chosen 10 years ago, it made no sense to induct a tank like Arjun a decade later. So, the production was capped at 124. This was called, as we all know, the Arjun Mk1.
CVRDE had taken time out and fixed arjun's problems even without an order for single tank fmo the army.
But have the russians fixed all problems of T-90 even after getting a 1000 tank order which even the russian army has not given for T-90.
No .The T-90s were shipped with all the faullts in thermal sights and without heat hardening of the electronics.In fact when it arrived it was no where near the specs of GSQR set for arjun.It was not even tested like ACCURT trails done for ARJUN.
Army knew the shortfalls of the machine and technology behind the T-90,that's why it gave an entirely different type of specs to arjun.
But the mystery is no international options like leopard or leclerc which were close to ARJUn's GSQR were explored through international tender.No comparitive trials were held.In fact army was so reluctant to push for the comparitive trials between arjun and T-90.The CVRDE went to the extent of third party audit foor ARJUN.
Whether ARJUn is ready in time or not, the procedures followed in the purchase of T-90 is not world class.
the same can be said about the procedures followed in the Jv of FGFA, releasing funding without seeing the first prototype even after excluded from the design phase.
The Arjun Mk2 was mooted with various modifications to a lot of aspects like armour and electronics, including a APS. According to open source information, we do not have any information on the Mk2. So, we do not yet know how it stacks up against the T-90S or the latest T-90 iteration, the T-90MS. Whether the IA considers the T-90MS superior to the Arjun Mk2 or not, we do not know. We do not even know if Arjun Mk2 will be ready within the same time frame as whats required by the Army. But what we can say is that if the flaws on the Arjun Mk1 is fixed on the Arjun Mk2, add the new electronics to it and it should be better in many aspects than the, now 15 years old, T-90S.
The arjun mk-2 has additional capabilities, it was not ordered because the mk-1 failed to fulfill the original specs.In contrast the T-90 was bought as it was offered by russians with no evaluation process carried out.The questions are whether the T-90is battle ready even today with respect to the original GSQR given for ARJUN.
Now, if you want to "guess" which of the tanks is superior, T-90MS or Arjun Mk2, we have very little information going that allows anybody to compare the two. So, there is no point in getting into it. All we know is the T-90MS is a lighter tank, IA crews are well trained on the T-72 and hence the T-90, including maintenance. IA also has the infrastructure ready for the T-90S. We also know that current gen ammo is better on the T-90S than what's available for Arjun Mk1 (open source info). We also know new ammo is being made for both tanks today, but we do not know how good these new shells are. We also know that the T-90MS would be cheaper than the Arjun Mk2 considering Ajai Shukla's article states 346 T-90MS will come at 10000 Crores which equates to 28 Crores for a T-90MS while Arjun Mk2 is expected to cost over 40 Crores per unit according to CVRDE. So, considering these aspects the T-90MS has the obvious advantage over any tank, let alone the Arjun. Now, if we merely extrapolate the T-90MS being as good as the Arjun Mk2 in terms of propulsion, armour, gun and ammo, then all advantages fall to the T-90MS.

According to MOD report submitted to parliament the ARJun was superior to both T-90 and T-72 in'
1.mobility,
2.Firepower,
3.Accuracy in firepower resulting in a much better first kill probability,
4.The best tank in IA.
it is surprising that people say they know nothing about arjun.
If we say the Arjun Mk2 is better in terms of firepower, protection and ammo, even then the numbers being inducted is too small to justify a heavier Arjun force, regardless of being deployed in the mountains in the North East. The only aspects we know for sure is that the T-90 has the better gun and engine because the Arjun will continue with the same rifled gun and 1400HP engine even after the weight upgrade while the T-90MS will have a new engine to make up for the weight upgrade.
According to genuine reports available Arjun is superior to T-90 in firepower, range, accuracy and lesser ground pressure.if you keep on giving smaller orders for arjun it will never mature as a product.
If we consider the Arjun will further develop into the Mk3 and find itself as a replacement for the old T-72s after 2020, then that is an entirely different topic for discussion and completely out of the scope of anybody here. I am pretty sure it is currently out of scope for both the Army and CVRDE too, as it stands today.
So no international best practices were followed on the T-90 buy.Why?
Every shortfall of arjun is detailed in the media ,which was built according to army GSQR and a speciuos argument is advanced that arjun didnot qualify according to the IA GSQR.
the army GSQR was for a low ground pressure, 4 man crew operated tank that has more engine power ,acceleration and more gun accuracy on the move, and can with stand the heat of indian summer.
Then why T-90 which had no relation to the above mentioned arjun GSQR was bought?

Last edited:
Reactions: uss

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Rifled gun is there for this point
according to MOD it has superior accuracy while firing on the move.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-failure-behind-fightng-troop.html#post623569
The following excerpts are from Decklanders post from the above link,

Incredibly, the army has not developed an indigenous armour philosophy in the last 65 years. Every serious army, even Israel, designs its tanks around a custom-made philosophy. Since human resources are a key constraint in tiny Israel, and distances are small, Israeli tanks are heavily armoured, lumbering vehicles where crew protection counts for more than the ability to quickly move long distances. In contrast, Russian tanks, designed to sweep rapidly through the vast expanses of Europe, are mobile, lightly armoured and have a smaller, three-man crew since a tank is expendable. The Indian Army, with one of the world's largest fleets of 4,000 tanks, has neither an armour philosophy nor a tank design bureau that can produce indigenous designs.

The army has more generals than the Government of India has secretaries. But none, from the army chief downwards, has insisted on an armour philosophy, an essential prerequisite for an India-specific tank. Instead, the T-90 tank, designed and built for freezing Russia, is now being air-conditioned (heresy!) so that its electronics can survive the Indian summers. In an incredible moral contortion, those who back the indigenous Arjun are branded anti-national; while the generals who support the Russian T-90 style themselves as patriots!

Crafting an armour philosophy is not an intellectual feat. Three bright armoured corps colonels could do it in a week, given inputs on India's border geography; war termination objectives; likely adversaries; the army's manpower profile; and India's industrial capabilities. But generations of armoured corps generals have had better things to do with their time; successive army chiefs and directors of operations and planning have been too preoccupied, or simply unconcerned, to ask why this is so.

If the army's entire planning hierarchy has ever questioned the absence of any doctrinal coherence in the strike formations' equipment, this has not resulted in any remedial action. But our generals believe the road to salvation passes through Moscow; respond to the challenge of indigenisation by buying more T-90s, just as the air marshals buy more and more Sukhoi-30 fighters. Does this point to Russia's colonisation of our generals' operational thinking, or it is just apathy and lack of professionalism? Either way, the answer is depressing.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
Dear 'ersakthivel'

You seemed to be very angry. Simmer down a bit. May be you are right that it is Russian colonization of Indian generals thinking. Is there a easy solution to it. Did you ever think that buying hardware in US or Europe any different?

Yes, Russians are acting a bit stupid. Wait until you deal with the Americans.

Indian manufacturing techniques together with inherently weak military leadership, who simply cannot make up their mind or write unheard of specs for equipment to be purchased together with shortage of cash, in fact are responsible for this mess.

Indian hrdware is declared unfit and rejected. Their eyes are set on glossy brochures of the hardware and hard driving salesmen who come bearing gifts and make tall claims are adding to this mess.

Decklander

Arjun is likely to get an 1800HP engine which is 2/3rd the size of present engine. The rifled cannon is always more accurate in mobile engagements as the round after leaving the barrel is not disturbed as much as it gets disturbed while being fired from a smoothbore gun. Its a phenomenon called bullet jump.

sasi

Arjun is likely to get an 1800HP engine which is 2/3rd the size of present engine. The rifled cannon is always more accurate in mobile engagements as the round after leaving the barrel is not disturbed as much as it gets disturbed while being fired from a smoothbore gun. Its a phenomenon called bullet jump.
We are developing 1500hp engine for Arjun. Idea is to develop 1800hp engine for FMBT with foreign firm jv. Since it is cancel'ed. At present plan,there is no 1800hp for Arjun.
~
Both rifle and smoothbore have accuracy on moving. It all abt weapon control sys.
~
rifle has advantage over long distance shoot,
smoothbore have long barrel life.

Decklander

Arjun Barrel has longer life inspite of being rifled compared with any T-series tank in the world.

Global Defence

Articles