Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You should be checking the blog now, See what its about ..

Good to find, they are scared.they will lose business as now tank looks so good and complete those against it needs to come up with something special excuse now.

rohit b3

Country flag
Please do some research on your own, This thread for the start ..

Majority of Indian media is unreliable about Indian Defense systems ..

About TOI, Its the worst news paper regarding National defense Industry ..
I remember, back in 2011, when i was expecting Tejas to enter service any moment, TOI reported that it wont be battle ready before 2015. I laughed it off then. Guess I was wrong...and TOI was right..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Any questions to be asked on MK2 ? Looks like drdo will bring it on defexpo.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@rohit b3,
Tejas were inducted into IAF back in dec 2011 in IOC-1 config, And you were right, But you were wrong to assume fully battle ready as it can be only after FOC, FOC is not IOC, I hope you knew that ..

Regarding my comment to following member before you, Read the article and read this thread to conform what the article of TOI is lying about, Its basics here and need not to be repeated ..

I remember, back in 2011, when i was expecting Tejas to enter service any moment, TOI reported that it wont be battle ready before 2015. I laughed it off then. Guess I was wrong...and TOI was right..

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
1> Are there any plans to relocate the position of the Commander Sight and the RCWS as the RCVS causes a huge blindspot to the Commander Sight.

2> Ask them if there is any plan to cover the top of the turret and the front of the chassis with ERA tiles.

3> Please ask them why they have not made the Gunner Sight mounted on the Gun Mantle like in the Challenger, so that the armor on the left side could be as thick as the right side.

This is what it is more or less the current layout

Why is it not like this?

Any questions to be asked on MK2 ? Looks like drdo will bring it on defexpo.

Damian

3> Please ask them why they have not made the Gunner Sight mounted on the Gun Mantle like in the Challenger, so that the armor on the left side could be as thick as the right side.
You don't want main sight to be placed on gun mantle for a good reason. It makes aiming especially at longer ranges and at moving targets problematic. Did you ever actually had opportunity to familirize yourself with Challenger 2 FCS? Probably not it seems. :)

Guess why in improved Challenger 2E, VDS engineers relocated TOGS thermal sight from gun mantled to turret roof and integrated it with main day sight, just like in all other modern tanks. ;)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Please explain.

You don't want main sight to be placed on gun mantle for a good reason. It makes aiming especially at longer ranges and at moving targets problematic. Did you ever actually had opportunity to familirize yourself with Challenger 2 FCS? Probably not it seems. :)

Guess why in improved Challenger 2E, VDS engineers relocated TOGS thermal sight from gun mantled to turret roof and integrated it with main day sight, just like in all other modern tanks. ;)

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
arjun mk2 looks very impressive and is quite an improvement over mk1.howeven there is room for more improvement
1.it should have turret ceiling armoured to protect against tandem warhead of 3rd generation top attack atgm.
2. it should have hull bottom armoured to withstand mineblast and ied.
3.the side armour of hull must protect a greater portion of the wheels.
4.enhanced protection of hull and turret back to ensure 360 degree protection against rpg.
5.relocation of gms and laser warning system to turret top so that left side of turret front can also be covered by era as the right side.
6.readjustment of optics at the turret top to ensure commander panoramic sight has unhindered 360 degree field of view.

Damian

Please explain.
It is simple, sight placed on gun mantled does not have own stabilization, in vertical it is stabilized by gun itself, however in horizontal it can't be stabilized and you have so called floating reticle, this might be problematic to familirize for gunners.

Also when you want to fire at longer ranges, gun needs to be elevated to compensate the range and the fact that projectile after traveling some range falls to ground due to gravity. Which means that when gun will elevate after FCS calculates range, gunner will not look at target but at sky, and will be unable to trace projectile tracer mark, and if he misses he might have problems to compensate for next shot.

It is logical. But as I said, you obviously never saw how Challenger 2 FCS works, and how big pain in the ass it is compared to Leopard 2 or M1.

Dazzler

1> Are there any plans to relocate the position of the Commander Sight and the RCWS as the RCVS causes a huge blindspot to the Commander Sight.

2> Ask them if there is any plan to cover the top of the turret and the front of the chassis with ERA tiles.

This is what it is more or less the current layout

Why is it not like this?
I agree, it is better to go for a uniform composite armour protection on both sides of the turret and move the sight/ optics above. It may bacome a weakness in the battlefield.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Any one who relies on TOI for defence news will get more ignorant as time goes by,

TOI has felt no need to inform its readers that all fly by wire RSS platforms will have more than two decades long flight test regime to mature into service, despite having all the evidence that funding for TDs of tejas released only in 1992 , they will continue to say the program is facing 30 years delay,

They still write that it is a Mig-21 replacement and will be very careful not to report IAF group captain Suneeth krishna who was one of the senior test pilots of tejas saying that tejas mk-1 itself is ,"atleast equal " t the upgraded mirage-2000.

And less said the better about their reporting on Arjun.

Last edited:

The Fox

Most of the things that was said in this program is nothing new its the things which we all know about the engine time taken to build and the New thing that I came to know is
1. The transmission and suspension system is 100% Indian and designed and developed by DRDO & CVRDE.
2. The IA didn't give any formal requirement for MBT they simply asked the CVRDE to develop a MBT and they took into consideration the terrain and the low intensity conflict with naxalites and the pakistan border and the Chinese border and designed this tank
3. the cost of Arjun MK 1 is 23 crores and Arjun MK2 is around 43 crores

One is MK2 and other is MK1 but used as test bed for MK2 tech ..

Even if someone cannot understand the language, He can certainly make out what is been told by the director himself ..

Thanks for sharing, @shuvo@y2k10 ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sob

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles