Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Only problem about moving the gunner sight up is that this tank is already crowded with optics.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It can be done, But given Army take this to DRDO ..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Also, the RCWS is operated by the commander, right? The RCWS already has sights built into it, so why install a separate commander sight next to the RCWS?
In fact by having 2 turret mounted objects, the commander sight would not be able to view 360° but only about 300°, because the RCWS would block a 60° arc field of view.

Can you please tell me more about your thirds point ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They wont be working separately, The RCWS can be integrated with Commander sight and commander can engage also with any of the two sights ( Commander Sight or RCWS sights ) ..

If one sight goes down other is backed up, Commander has option to use any of the sight at one time .. ;)

In fact by having 2 turret mounted objects, the commander sight would not be able to view 360° but only about 300°, because the RCWS would block a 60° arc field of view.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Yes sir, but my point is that since the RCWS already has sights, why install another sight with compromised field of view?

For the commander sight, the area in between the red lines would be blocked out by the RCWS, and will be a blind spot for the commander.

They wont be working separately, The RCWS can be integrated with Commander sight and commander can engage also with any of the two sights ( Commander Sight or RCWS sights ) ..

If one sight goes down other is backed up, Commander has option to use any of the sight at one time .. ;)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Yes sir, but my point is that since the RCWS already has sights, why install another sight with compromised field of view?

For the commander sight, the area in between the red lines would be blocked out by the RCWS, and will be a blind spot for the commander.

both have same sensors
here is sight

Day sight, thermal and range finder on both of them.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
This is what I was talking about:

This is the current config

This is what I'd like it to be

1> Put the gun sight on top of the gun mantle.
2> make the front armor on the left as thick is it is on the right
3> Rotate the radar 90 degrees and place it where the gunner sight currently is
4> Cover the area currently being taken by the radar with ERA.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I never said not armored, I said up-armored.

At the very least, maybe move the gunner sight up. Laser warning system more to the right, and extend the blocks further.

Or place the armor blocks where the gunner sight was, and leave the laser warning system where it is.
The ARJUn mk-2 which rolled down was a prototype to check and validate the many improvements asked by IA from CVRDE.

Most of them are done by now and smoke while LAHAL firing was the only reported thing to be sorted out.Once that too is done it means bigger internal design changes a like cannisterized ammo bin, missile firing ability and many others asked by the IA are over.

After that If the IA assures that it will give 500 plus orders if it is done it can be done in no time. otherwise what is the use of endlessly fiddling with the product with no commitments for firm order from end user?

It is just going to be lengthening of the optics systems of the main sight for a bit and recalibration of the gun targeting system to be in sync with the nes turret top gunner's main sight, which can easily be done. Once that it is done the entire turret front can get full ERA cover just like the same new LEO model below,

it can be done , But the problem is if IA does not ask for it with a substantial order numbers there is no point in doing it.
because the MOD is not going to release the funding for relocating the main sight to the turret top without a firm requirement and commitments from IA for Arjun mk-2 , which seems to be lacking right now.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
This is what I was talking about:

This is the current config

This is what I'd like it to be

1> Put the gun sight on top of the gun mantle.
2> make the front armor on the left as thick is it is on the right
3> Rotate the radar 90 degrees and place it where the gunner sight currently is
4> Cover the area currently being taken by the radar with ERA.
Gunner sight cant be place on that spot as gun goes up and down so it will cause teouble to gunner sight.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Gunner sight cant be place on that spot as gun goes up and down so it will cause teouble to gunner sight.
Gunner sight even when placed desperately has to move up and down with the barrel. If the gun and the gun sight are not synchronised, then it would be of no use.

Think of it like this. What good would an ACOG be if the AR barrel is pointing somewhere and the ACOG is focussed somewhere else?

Check this video in between 1:08 and 1:14 to see how the gun sight is synchronised with the barrel elevation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Because commander sight is also a second FCS, It is slaved to the gunner sight so does can be with RCWS ..

If gunner is injured or gunner sight is out, The command panoramic sight can act as a backup ..

===================

1. Gunner sight
2. Panoramic Sight
3. RCWS sight

All are slaved to Commander sight ..

========================
========================

It is same with other modern tanks ..

Think of it like this. What good would an ACOG be if the AR barrel is pointing somewhere and the ACOG is focussed somewhere else?

Check this video in between 1:08 and 1:14 to see how the gun sight is synchronised with the barrel elevation.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Gunner sight even when placed desperately has to move up and down with the barrel. If the gun and the gun sight are not synchronised, then it would be of no use.

thanks tank looks great.

BTW gunner sight is something like this, original sight was removed from BEL website.

so lots of re designing is need to modify this.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Here is Russian blog reaction to Mk2

Арджун Мк.2
Индийская компания DRDO - разработчик печально известного танка "Арджун", провела апгрейд машины и выставила то что получилось на параде. Как мы видим на фото, "Арджун Мк.2" - это явная попытка копирования российского Т-90МС. Видимо собственной фантазии у индийских разработчиков не хватает. Может и не стоит мучатся и сразу закупить Т-90МС?

Google Translation

Arjun Mk.2
India's DRDO - developer of the infamous tank "Arjun", held upgrade machine and put what happened at the parade. As we can see in the photo, "Arjun Mk.2" - is a blatant attempt to copy the Russian T-90ms. Apparently own imagination of Indian developers are not enough. Maybe not worth tormented and immediately purchase T-90ms?
Gur Khan attacks!: Арджун Мк.2

Wonder of T90MS can fire CLGM/LAHAT at 8 km........................ Na Russi cant digest the fact that we have over taken them...........:rofl:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Took screen shot some time back, But the FCS shown here was pre 2005, Not about new FCS which was from 2008 ..

They have not updated there site either ..

===========
===========

Kunal sir earlier BEL had big pic now only this.......

The owner time to time visit our thread, His first impression from MK2 was, Why not Indian work with us ?

After learning their Lobby guys did what to our work and our views here, His view is change from cooperation to kill the project ..

About his view, Arjun M2 has nothing like T-90MS just looks coz of K5 era tiles ..

Here is Russian blog reaction to Mk2:

Deltamendota

Country flag
well guys this is my first post , been a DFI lurker for a long time ,today's article from TOI on arjun MK2 has left me really confused . hence iv decided join so that i could clear some my doubts ...

According to official sources, almost 55 to 60% of the components and major part of the technology in Arjun Mk-II MBT are imported starting from the design to engine and the engine transmission system, gun barrel, computer-controlled integrated fire control system, the tracks, the suspension, and the Muzzle Reference System etc.
is this really true .. ?:confused:
gun barrel ..? suspension..?even fire control system is imported .? what happened to DRDOs FCS ..?IBMS ..?:confused:

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Please do some research on your own, This thread for the start ..

Majority of Indian media is unreliable about Indian Defense systems ..

About TOI, Its the worst news paper regarding National defense Industry ..

well guys this is my first post , been a DFI lurker for a long time ,today's article from TOI on arjun MK2 has left me really confused . hence iv decided join so that i could clear some my doubts ...

is this really true .. ?:confused:
gun barrel ..? suspension..?even fire control system is imported .? what happened to DRDOs FCS ..?IBMS ..?:confused:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Here is Russian blog reaction to Mk2

Арджун Мк.2
Индийская компания DRDO - разработчик печально известного танка "Арджун", провела апгрейд машины и выставила то что получилось на параде. Как мы видим на фото, "Арджун Мк.2" - это явная попытка копирования российского Т-90МС. Видимо собственной фантазии у индийских разработчиков не хватает. Может и не стоит мучатся и сразу закупить Т-90МС?

Google Translation

Gur Khan attacks!: Арджун Мк.2

Wonder of T90MS can fire CLGM/LAHAT at 8 km........................ Na Russi cant digest the fact that we have over taken them...........:rofl:
In keeping with the glorious tradition of the arms-industries, now our Russian friends would bump off many more key scientists/engineers associated with different DRDO labs to ensure our indigenous programs cannot see the light of the day. Elimination, arson, sabotage, propaganda, political-bureaucratic lobbying, everything would be resorted to ensure that our designs cannot even reach prototype stage.

After all, rozi-roti ka sawaal hai :lol:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles