Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
here is the difference between Arjun Mk2 ERA and that on the T90s and T90SM

this clearly shows that T90s/T90SM may or may not survive tandem warhead but Arjun Mk2 will survive it as it has got ERA on the interior in the design itself. T90s/T90Sm has ERA on the outside only.

This just proves that which is superior and why it has more weight, because it is design to take lots of hits.......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

=================

Sir, I believe its a hardern Steel Plate but not ERA itself, But this would provide better protection than T-90, ERA coverage is better than T-90 on MK2 ..

Arjun MK2 development directed by Indian Army itself, The improvement made over MK2 is from lesson learned from MK1 also T-90

this clearly shows that T90s/T90SM may or may not survive tandem warhead but Arjun Mk2 will survive it as it has got ERA on the interior in the design itself. T90s/T90Sm has ERA on the outside only.

This just proves that which is superior and why it has more weight, because it is design to take lots of hits.......

methos

Country flag

Absolutely not. Just look at the ERA array at the right side of the the main gun. What you wrongfully identified as a second ERA layer is just a metal bar used for holding the ERA at the turret front. Even if it was ERA (what it is not), it would have essentially no effect against any sort of anti-tank projectile, because the function of ERA is depending on being angled towards the incoming projectile.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Absolutely not. Just look at the ERA array at the right side of the the main gun. What you wrongfully identified as a second ERA layer is just a metal bar used for holding the ERA at the turret front. Even if it was ERA (what it is not), it would have essentially no effect against any sort of anti-tank projectile, because the function of ERA is depending on being angled towards the incoming projectile.
Lets say what you are saying is true then why they have not used the Russian design of T90s which is licence made in OFB

Like this

this would have save the space, plus easy to make as OFB is already making it.

militarysta

Lets say what you are saying is true then why they have not used the Russian design of T90s which is licence made in OFB

this would have save the space, plus easy to make as OFB is already making it.
Maybe for the same reson why Arjun II developers lost more then half of turret frotnal area not cover by ERA, lost turret side fuel/water tank and not replace it for special armour module, and they use "short" era cover for turret sides? And for the same reson why the put RCWS on place when it will be disturb (cover some area) for using TC main panoramic sight?

BTW: T-90S is mucht better cover by ERA then Arjun II. It's obvious.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Imho, We need to upgrade older MK1 to MK2 level at least ERA and electronic packages, After fully inducting MK2 ..
Completely agree,, but first Army should induct MK2 in larger numbers 124 is not enough for industry and further development.
should be >1000 MK2 and reduce number of T72's and convert few of the T72's into HeavyIFV's...

SilentKiller

Country flag
Here is Russian blog reaction to Mk2

Арджун Мк.2
Индийская компания DRDO - разработчик печально известного танка "Арджун", провела апгрейд машины и выставила то что получилось на параде. Как мы видим на фото, "Арджун Мк.2" - это явная попытка копирования российского Т-90МС. Видимо собственной фантазии у индийских разработчиков не хватает. Может и не стоит мучатся и сразу закупить Т-90МС?

Google Translation

Gur Khan attacks!: Арджун Мк.2

Wonder of T90MS can fire CLGM/LAHAT at 8 km........................ Na Russi cant digest the fact that we have over taken them...........:rofl:
Good to find, they are scared.
they will lose business as now tank looks so good and complete those against it needs to come up with something special excuse now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
124 MK1 till date delivred to Army & Further Orders of 116 are of MK2 ..

Taking MK2 numbers to higher is the Job of Army, And MOD to make sure everything go smooth ..

Completely agree,, but first Army should induct MK2 in larger numbers 124 is not enough for industry and further development.
should be >1000 MK2 and reduce number of T72's and convert few of the T72's into HeavyIFV's...

SilentKiller

Country flag
Maybe for the same reson why Arjun II developers lost more then half of turret frotnal area not cover by ERA, lost turret side fuel/water tank and not replace it for special armour module, and they use "short" era cover for turret sides? And for the same reson why the put RCWS on place when it will be disturb (cover some area) for using TC main panoramic sight?

Well if am not wrong, both TC sight and RCWS sight uses same optics.
2nd point both these sights can be integrated to give better view to TC. So there is no point remaining with TC sight blocked bythe RCWS.
Moreover its not a production or final design either or development will stop here only, if we stick with Arjun tank in future MK3 will be even better than this.
As far as ERA is concerned neither u or anyone can say that its bad, may be they have tried to put ERA as T90 and might have observed some short comings and worked out a better design. no one knows it until unless this stuff is tested fully and i hope army is going to test it or have tested it.
Yes the Huge thing (I guess it for missile firing aid) at front can be made a lot smaller so as to give more protection at front.

Right now MK2 looks great and indian defence research has answered a lot of its critics for side Armor etc, they will continue to silence its critics.
If a party commits to do ToT but later pulls out of commitments we have to move into indigenous products.

SilentKiller

Country flag
124 MK1 till date delivred to Army & Further Orders of 116 are of MK2 ..

Taking MK2 numbers to higher is the Job of Army, And MOD to make sure everything go smooth ..
Hope Army and MOD atleast trust indian product this time.
Reason why is said for 1000 number for arjun is that am against wasting money ($$$) on upgrades of ~2000 so T72 tanks we have.
Instead use this money to buy new Arjun tanks and upgrade T72 into Heavy IFV or a tank support Vehicle which will be great.
Number can be 1900 T90s, 1200 Arjun Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 and 1000 T72 (until fully replaced) remaining 1000 T72's can be converted.

Earlier some people used to question workmanship, looks etc now indian products looks awesome.
I will be visiting DefExpo this time (My camera is with my Sis, so no good Pics) but i am expecting great indian products and hope few of them will be in indian inventory.

militarysta

Well if am not wrong, both TC sight and RCWS sight uses same optics.
2nd point both these sights can be integrated to give better view to TC. So there is no point remaining with TC sight blocked bythe RCWS.
RCWS now make a huge "blind zone" for commander panoramic sight - it's just crusious! No other tank in whole world have sucht RCWS placment. I hope that it's not finall placment.

As far as ERA is concerned neither u or anyone can say that its bad, may be they have tried to put ERA as T90 and might have observed some short comings and worked out a better design. no one knows it until unless this stuff is tested fully and i hope army is going to test it or have tested it.
Any single person can compare forntal T-90S ERA cover and frontal Arjun II ERA cover... It's obviouse and raeally easy to see on photos. Again -it's conected whit place radar on front of the tank, but we have huge weak area near main sight - maybe better idea was to uparmoured this side and place radar on loaders side wher armour is thickest?

Yes the Huge thing (I guess it for missile firing aid) at front can be made a lot smaller so as to give more protection at front.
Placing radar on front of the turret - in place when most shrapnel will hit it it's...really interesting -it's first. Second, maybe better way was to uparmoured those turret side and placed radar on opposide site -where armour is thickest? As I assume placed radar on those site was the simplast way to integrate it whit FCS...

indian defence research has answered a lot of its critics for side Armor etc, they will continue to silence its critics.
Sure, so what is this on photo:

1) armour modul whit fuel cap?!
2) armour module whit holder?
3) ERA casettes whit "no ERA casettes" slightlest mark?!
Sorry - armour side placment is as in Arjun I.

mahesh

Country flag
cant we use composite materials to reduce the weight on arjun ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
that structure is radar or counter measure for laser you will know soon just wait till 6th Feb 2014.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The answer are in previous posts, I see MK2 era covarage is better ..

militarysta

I hope that this tank visible on parade photos is just Arjun I whit placed parts of the Arjun II and finall Arjun II will be without sucht flaws like RCWS placment...

BTW: more or less it's very good that India is developing it's own tank, but shoud I ask "it's not to late and to little?"

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
ERA layout is custom design for MK2 ..

The prototypes are using K5 from Russians ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles