Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
As of now max 500-460mm RHA from 2000ms for MK2 kinetic round ..
Thanks for the info sir, had some some debate with Paki @Dazzler in other forum, where they claimed pen value of improved MK 2 round is not more than 300 MM.

LaVictoireEstLaVie

The weight of an M1A2 SEP V2 is about 62,8 - 63,1 metric tons. The weight of a Merkava 4 is about 65-70 metric tons. The weight of the German Leopard 2A7 is 63,5 metric tons. All weights are of fully laden tanks

pmaitra

Recap on the new ammunition being trialed -

120mm thermobaric + fragmentation

PCB, FSAPDS Mark 2

CLGM, HEAT
FSAPDS: Fin Stabilized Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot
FSAPDA: Fin Stabilized Armour Piercing Discarding <insert word starting with letter 'A'>

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
http://**********/attachments/image-jpg.286692/

---------------------------------------------------

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
One Israeli expert said that it is possible to slash 5 ton weight of Arjun gradually without compromising the protection. If you further want to reduce wight, you should reduce crew to 3 from 4 and make the tank compact.
No need for weight reduction, All western tanks world over weigh well over 60 tons & had no issues,
What is important is that Arjun spreads the weight with lesser gr pressure per sq inch , due to its wider tracks, SO it can go on marshlands where T-72 & T-90 can not .
It is already proved, Arjun crossed the rvi at Lassian which was marked non tankable in IA map which had lighter T-72s & T-90s.

Hhhhhhmmmmmmmm, I am typimg this sentence for the 100 the time I think!!!!

Navneet Kundu

Can anyone here who has been through the entire thread bring me up to speed on what is the progress on Arjun vis-a-vis accepting (OR) rejecting the Russian pressure to buy their Armata tank? Is the Armata deal off?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
No need for weight reduction, All western tanks world over weigh well over 60 tons & had no issues,
What is important is that Arjun spreads the weight with lesser gr pressure per sq inch , due to its wider tracks, SO it can go on marshlands where T-72 & T-90 can not .
It is already proved, Arjun crossed the rvi at Lassian which was marked non tankable in IA map which had lighter T-72s & T-90s.

Hhhhhhmmmmmmmm, I am typimg this sentence for the 100 the time I think!!!!
No, It is always advisable to slash weight if we can do that without compromising the protection. Because of increase in weight of arjun, the gear box have to be redesigned so as shock absorbers. Highest speed has come down to 58 km from 71 km. Fuel efficiency also come down so as mobility. The main odd which goes against Arjun over T90 is the weight. Had Arjun MKII been a 55 ton tank, it would have rocked and IA would have preferred it over T90.

Abhishek Shrivastava

Its not that too bulky if not have all the accessories like mine plogh. Does anyone know weight of Arjun in combat ready configuration.

Dazzler

Thanks for the info sir, had some some debate with Paki @Dazzler in other forum, where they claimed pen value of improved MK 2 round is not more than 300 MM.
Arjun MK1 round makes 300mm RHA at 60 degree from 2000ms, At 90degree that is flat on its like 500-460mm ..
I dont think it will do that much, at best it will add another 40-50mm to the penetration value for 90 degree plate or surface considering the kength and diameter ratio of the penetrator itself.

tejas warrior

Country flag
With DPP 2016 and emphasis on Indian Designed, Developed and Manufactured (IDDM) products, A new order for Arjun Mk2 can not be ruled out.

Lets hope large number of order for Mk2 in near future.

Chinmoy

Country flag
No, It is always advisable to slash weight if we can do that without compromising the protection. Because of increase in weight of arjun, the gear box have to be redesigned so as shock absorbers. Highest speed has come down to 58 km from 71 km. Fuel efficiency also come down so as mobility. The main odd which goes against Arjun over T90 is the weight. Had Arjun MKII been a 55 ton tank, it would have rocked and IA would have preferred it over T90.
Its always good to slash down weight, but my ques to some people here, @Malificient who are too good in criticizing efforts, is, where are you going to drive Arjun? In the heights of Himalayas or in the desert of Rajasthan/ fields of Punjab? If you want to confront your enemy at Himalayan fields with a Tank, you do need something in 30- 40 ton category. Even they could operate or not is not sure.

Kharavela

Country flag
You are wrong my dear. In that case, IA would have demanded a heavier tank citing examples of Leopard, Merkava, A1M2 etc.

In this Jungle, we are intolerant of #Presstitutes

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Its always good to slash down weight, but my ques to some people here, @Malificient who are too good in criticizing efforts, is, where are you going to drive Arjun? In the heights of Himalayas or in the desert of Rajasthan/ fields of Punjab? If you want to confront your enemy at Himalayan fields with a Tank, you do need something in 30- 40 ton category. Even they could operate or not is not sure.

I do not say that light tank are good always. I argue that low weight is always preferable if we can do that without compromising protection, it will be a great thing.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Offical Data posted in this thread disagree with your view and thinking, Give a read before commenting ..

I dont think it will do that much, at best it will add another 40-50mm to the penetration value for 90 degree plate or surface considering the kength and diameter ratio of the penetrator itself.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles