Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Kyubi

Country flag

Is it just me or does the turret actually resemble that of a Merkava?

Problem is, the sight is Israeli. I doubt there will be any tech transfer on this one.

Tanks carry extra fuel in drums mounted behind the turret and without any armour. These are meant to be mounted only while the tank is in transit. If engagement with the enemy is eminent, the drums are uninstalled.
The tank formation itself has a dedicated supply chain for fuel and ammunition. These beasts are really fuel hungry.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/2014-defexpo-india-pictures-from-kunal-biswas.58405/

there is a COAPS made by IRDE under ToT , check out the above link

sabari

kro209X.png
Still arjun turrent front is badly engineered
Gun site and gun easy target for enimy tank so there Is no use in protecting other place with large weak spot in front
We should replace the turrent with turrent similar to markava 4 turrent .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Markava 4 turret design is based on idea of hit avoidance. Arjun is based on idea of hit survibility. Dont get confused over this.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Recent CAG report has completely validated the Arjun and flagged of the IA evaluation's double standards. All of the IA's assertions used to reject Arjun have been completely rubbished systematically. This is why in recent months the IA has silently accepted the MoD placing additional orders for Arjun, Catapult and Arjun Mk.II whereas a few years ago they would have raised a hue and cry in media.

As they say..Chor pakdaa gayaa
Leave alone Arjun, even T-90 would be not effective in Himalayan terrain if we consider the weight factor.

Blackwater

Leave alone Arjun, even T-90 would be not effective in Himalayan terrain if we consider the weight factor.

well tanks are not meant to play or perform in hilly areas .they are meant for peelane:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

BTW under ki baat. T-90 is not meant for even desert operation.:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Chinmoy

Country flag
well tanks are not meant to play or perform in hilly areas .they are meant for peelane:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

BTW under ki baat. T-90 is not meant for even desert operation.:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
:)Don't tell this to people sitting over there in planing and acquisition panel :)

sabari

Markava 4 turret design is based on idea of hit avoidance. Arjun is based on idea of hit survibility. Dont get confused over this.
Sorry sir markava is the tank which is designed for survivability to protect its cruse .and what is your opinion on large weak spot in that picture I have pasted.in markava 4 the gun site is placed above turrent and main gun holder in arjun is not sloped which is a big flaw.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
View attachment 6560 Still arjun turrent front is badly engineered
Gun site and gun easy target for enimy tank so there Is no use in protecting other place with large weak spot in front
We should replace the turrent with turrent similar to markava 4 turrent .
Its not a design flaw because the Arjun was not designed with a sloped armour. Hence addition of sloped armour is limited to the sides. Hence its an upgrade limitation.
Adding it to cover the gun and sights would require a redesign of the turret. That would be extremely costly and straining on the logistics.
The pics are not available. :sad:

elite member

look at the old leopard tanks ,gun sight similarly positioned but newer model rectified this issue by placing it above the turret .This is a big flaw arjun has, one lucky shot will lead to catastrophic destruction as there isn't much armor there & relocating the gun sight will require re validations of several parameters ,again pushing the dates. There are also other issues like refiled vs smooth bore but right now Army is concerned with the system as single unit's & its performance ,mission computer,road wheel & various sub systems integrated into the tank.

sabari

Its not a design flaw because the Arjun was not dith a sloped armour. Hence addition of sloped armour is limited to the sides. Hence its an upgrade limitation.
Adding it to cover the gun and sights would require a redesign of the turret. That would be extremely costly and straining on the logistics.

The pics are not available. :sad:
Once again same question turrent front is the place which take most of hits from enemy tank if you can't have a protective armour for your cheast why do you need to protection for your back

sabari

look at the old leopard tanks ,gun sight similarly positioned but newer model rectified this issue by placing it above the turret .This is a big flaw arjun has, one lucky shot will lead to catastrophic destruction as there isn't much armor there & relocating the gun sight will require re validations of several parameters ,again pushing the dates. There are also other issues like refiled vs smooth bore but right now Army is concerned with the system as single unit's & its performance ,mission computer,road wheel & various sub systems integrated into the tank.
Sir I am a commen men
Does adding some metal and era side with large opening in front will help the tank to performance better this is the stupid idea and desine a desine would have ever made.
What is that we have in end. addition of weight with unsloped armor in front.our tank designer should learn basic before designing tank

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
When you are hitting our tank then length of engagement is 4-2 kms. At this range it has slim chance to hit the gun area. Still that area is sufficiently protected.

elite member

This is the Turkey's add on armor solution to similarly designed older leopard tanks,note how it tends to cover the week spots i.e the frontal sight & main gun mantel .

Attachments

elite member

When you are hitting our tank then length of engagement is 4-2 kms. At this range it has slim chance to hit the gun area. Still that area is sufficiently protected.
Wakeel Shab ,in an engagement the frontal part of the tank would take the most of the beatings .So a a hit on the main sight will surely pierce through thin armor and our experts already know thickness of armor there as they have already measured it using there camera pouch during last trade fare.

sabari

We are not chatting about tanks rear it is the turrent front .if you need better understanding learn about Abrams MBT.

sabari

This is the Turkey's add on armor solution to similarly designed older leopard tanks,note how it tends to cover the week spots i.e the frontal sight & main gun mantel .
Both of this tank look like mouth with broken teeth.
Most of us will not like this comment but I have some reason for that
mk1 can with stand kinatic round like long tungsten rod by using honey comb structure in it .we can optimic it with thick layer of high dense materials like tungsten or depleted uranium what we need is protection against chemical round which can be done by placing t90 era panel parallel to front surface of arjun in this manner the the surface covered with era can be increased.
I request our fellow member to make some reply,and edit correct the mistakes in this idea its just my openion to optimistic arjun armor

Chinmoy

Country flag
mk1 can with stand kinatic round like long tungsten rod by using honey comb structure in it .we can optimic it with thick layer of high dense materials like tungsten or depleted uranium what we need is protection against chemical round which can be done by placing t90 era panel parallel to front surface of arjun in this manner the the surface covered with era can be increased.
I request our fellow member to make some reply,and edit correct the mistakes in this idea its just my openion to optimistic arjun armor
What you have mentioned is correct and I do agree with @sayareakd over here too upto an extent. In war when engaging an enemy tank, you would most likely want to go for its side rather then its front or back due to target area visibility. And someone if wants to put a round right though your barrel may be lucky enough to mess up your targeting system in current configuration. But again, you cant go to war even with a 1% chance of getting hit. But removing those system from that area to have a sloping armour means putting them over the turret or below it on the front. In both the cases they become more vulnerable to enemy fire. and moreover it would mean assembling the whole thing all over again and given the history, I don't think its feasible enough for the development of the system.
What I would suggest is to go on with something in mid of M1A1 and current turret of Arjun. We could have a secondary sight and another systems on the turret just like M1A1 and the main systems build deep below the turret. I have yet to come across any system with the design which I am talking about, but hope to come with something near enough and post it here soon.

Chinmoy

Country flag
What you have mentioned is correct and I do agree with @sayareakd over here too upto an extent. In war when engaging an enemy tank, you would most likely want to go for its side rather then its front or back due to target area visibility. And someone if wants to put a round right though your barrel may be lucky enough to mess up your targeting system in current configuration. But again, you cant go to war even with a 1% chance of getting hit. But removing those system from that area to have a sloping armour means putting them over the turret or below it on the front. In both the cases they become more vulnerable to enemy fire. and moreover it would mean assembling the whole thing all over again and given the history, I don't think its feasible enough for the development of the system.
What I would suggest is to go on with something in mid of M1A1 and current turret of Arjun. We could have a secondary sight and another systems on the turret just like M1A1 and the main systems build deep below the turret. I have yet to come across any system with the design which I am talking about, but hope to come with something near enough and post it here soon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles