AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
When we’re already using our transport fleet to the max as of now they absolutely don’t have any left to spare, and when squadron numbers are so low I don’t think they’ll be willing to part with a Mig 29UPG. They’re better of purchasing a 747 from Air India.
P&W Engine Test Bed
View attachment 127798
RR Test bedView attachment 127799
GE Test Bed
View attachment 127800
Boeing 747 will be much more easier to maintain than an IL76 as spares are more abundant and getting spares and maintaining former civil aircraft are easier.
Age of the aircraft won’t matter as it will fly for very few hours relative to a civil aircraft and price will be cheaper too as there’s very little demand for these old aircraft.
this is pure bs from our Decision takers.
in 2018 or 2019 while my plane was taxing from mumbai airport i saw a 747 plane sitting in an empty yard and on few jacks.
the engines were covered with plastic sheets.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Development completed , I can't confirm it.

View attachment 128105
Project sanctioned (6 sensor system) by GOI in 2006-2007 under Mission Mode, where it was a collaboration between DARE and an Israeli company. The system was fully developed but not executed (was put in Technology Demonstrator category around 2009) for following reasons:
1. Overweight (was more than 4 kgs).
2. Had adverse impact on AOA of MKIs.
3. Unwillingness on part of Russians to certify the modifications.
AFAIK, ony a 4 sensor system was put on some MKIs (without certification).
I therefore believe that an advanced version of the system (360 DCMAWS/DAS) is still under development for TEDBF + AMCA.
@Bleh @mist_consecutive could you come in with your inputs.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Project sanctioned (6 sensor system) by GOI in 2006-2007 under Mission Mode, where it was a collaboration between DARE and an Israeli company. The system was fully developed but not executed (was put in Technology Demonstrator category around 2009) for following reasons:
1. Overweight (was more than 4 kgs).
2. Had adverse impact on AOA of MKIs.
3. Unwillingness on part of Russians to certify the modifications.
AFAIK, ony a 4 sensor system was put on some MKIs (without certification).
I therefore believe that an advanced version of the system (360 DCMAWS/DAS) is still under development for TEDBF + AMCA.
@Bleh @mist_consecutive could you come in with your inputs.
just a edit not only for amca and tedf but for tejas mk2 (dource ddr aero india interview)

SARTHAK

Country flag
Yep it's a 4 sensor system for Mk2. But for TEDBF + AMCA, I was referring to a 6 sensor 360 degree coverage like F35.
hmm btw i don't think 4 sensors would be 360 deg. , although just a thought but what if it dcmaws is converted into proper irst that is 3 ir bands would be gr8,is it that complicated technologically, pls shed some light ?

Dessert Storm

Country flag
hmm btw i don't think 4 sensors would be 360 deg. , although just a thought but what if it dcmaws is converted into proper irst that is 3 ir bands would be gr8,is it that complicated technologically, pls shed some light ?
I would be out of depth on this. @Karthi , could you come in on this one.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
For spherical coverage, 4 MAWS with hemispherical or at least 120 degree FoV in horizontal plane facing each quadrant - NE, NW, SE, SW can suffice, but again, placing them in horizontal plane is a challenge with strict RCS reduction. And the exhaust plume will create a cylindrical blindspot in longitudinal axis

1640894419137.png

If they are placed in vertical plane with 120 degree coverage in each sensor then huge blindspot sideways will be created. So they must have hemispherical coverage like that of Rafale's DDM.

1640893513399.png

But this 4 MAWS system will have hemispherical MAWS like Rafale's DDM hence not suitable to 5th gen stealth jet.
Hence currently, F-22, F-35, Su-57, Su-35-S, J-20 use 6-axis positions which is like cones fanning out of cube, but the FoV need to be greater than 90 degrees of each sensor. And they are either UV like in Su-57 or MWIR in others i think.
1640885421240.png

The circles need to overlap so that their diameter = cube face diagonal, then the red colored blind spots can be covered.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles