Akash Surface-to-air Missile

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
NASAMS is a surface to air missile based on AIM-120 can't we use Astra for SAM system

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think best is to adapt a WVR missile to this. India has neither such missile nor needed radar.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The govt. Has sanctioned radar directed guns, which will fill some gaps.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Trishul = Maitri = MICA spin off version
Trishul and Maitri are different. Maitri was supposed to use MICA spin off.
But Maitri never took off.

IAF bought 18 Spyder systems from Israel. I guess IA will also buy some.
Buying SRSAM is no reason to talk down Akash. I am not aware if Army has done any recent "evaluation" that changed its mind.

Creating a realistic wartime situation in case of a SAM system is very difficult. It is a very complex test.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The Trishul missile project was commissioned in 1983 as a part of Integrated Guided Missile Development Program. The project was to be completed by 1992 and the missile would be fitted to Brahmaputra-class frigates as an anti-sea skimmer.[3] In 1985, Trishul made its first unguided flight from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota. The missile made its first full range guided flight in 1989. In 1992, the missile was successfully tested against a target and reached Mach 2 speed.[3] In 1997, the associated radar systems for detecting the incoming sea-skimmer were operational. The launch system was developed by Bharat Dynamics Limited in 1998.

The missile was reviewed by the DRDO in October 2001. The missile system was found deficient as the tracking radar beam was getting intermittent breaks resulting in the missile missing the target and the heavy BMP-II chassis did not meet the army qualitative requirements for mobility.[5]The naval version was test fired as a sea skimmer in 2002.[4] In 2003, Government of India announced that the missile will be a technology demonstrator and de-linked it from other projects. The missile was successfully test fired in 2005.[6] The development cost of the programme was 2.826 billion (US$42 million) and the Defence minister announced the official closure of the programme in 2008.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The Maitri missile should not be confused with the similar Indian Army Low-Level Quick Reaction Missile system (LLQRM) requirement. The missile will fill the gap created by the Indian government's decision to wind up development of the Trishul point defense missile system. It is believed to be a blend of the French Mica and DRDO Trishul. Maitri will build on the work done by DRDO while developing the Trishul missile, using technology transfer from MBDA to fill the technological gaps that led to the failure of the Trishul project.

Country flag
MaitrI will not be a workhorse like Trishul. It is still a shaky project and french are fickle partners.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Anything is possible but expectation mismatch is very hard to resolve.

Manmohan Singh govt. raised French expectations too much. French were seeing Manna falling from Indian heavens. So anything we do now will never satisfy the French. Our people wanted tech from France for low level quick reaction SAM, which French were not keen to supply. They wanted a big contract, which Manmohan agreed it seems, but which was never awarded.

It seems Congis got lead footed as elections approached. They were never sure of their victory, and were aware of the risk such big deals entailed.

Astra can be converted to a SAM (of fire and forget type). It is possible. Meanwhile Israeli Spyder system can be bought.

garg_bharat

Country flag
As IAF has already ordered 18 SPYDER systems, the same route is ideal for Army.
Navy is using Barak-1 and Barak-8. Multiplicity of vendors/countries may also create long term problems.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I have learnt that OSA-M systems of Indian Army can be upgraded. New missiles, and new radars with digital electronics are available now. This is what Army should do rather than throw away these vehicles.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@LETHALFORCE I'm unable to post new threads. Did I violated any rule?
Please, enlighten me so that I can apologize. I've a lot of matter to discuss.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Trishul project is closed. The proposal to develop such Sam with France has gone nowhere.

DRDO may not be able to develop this kind of system. We shall have to try private sector.

Mod can always import a few systems. May be that's what army is referring to.
I had the impression that Trishul tried to incorporate MIRV. Obviously that is a delusion :fyeah:.

Last edited:

garg_bharat

Country flag
I had the impression that Trishul tried to incorporate MIRV. Obviously that is a delusion :fyeah:.
Low level quick reaction SAM turned out to be very technically challenging.
This proves that what USSR/Russia achieved in armaments decades ago, we cannot do it even today.

We are still learning from Russia, despite our condescending attitude towards that country.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I have learnt that OSA-M systems of Indian Army can be upgraded. New missiles, and new radars with digital electronics are available now. This is what Army should do rather than throw away these vehicles.
Dude the weapon system is 25 year old. Its time to move on.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Dude the weapon system is 25 year old. Its time to move on.
A number of Soviet missiles arrived in 80s in Rajiv Gandhi era. These are not in bad condition. In fact still active.
The problem is more like outdated radar electronics. The mechanical condition of vehicles is good.

There is nothing much a new vehicle will add. So you change radar and associated electronics and get new missiles.

Indian army has some 80 Osa-M systems.

su35

Country flag
A number of Soviet missiles arrived in 80s in Rajiv Gandhi era. These are not in bad condition. In fact still active.
The problem is more like outdated radar electronics. The mechanical condition of vehicles is good.

There is nothing much a new vehicle will add. So you change radar and associated electronics and get new missiles.

Indian army has some 80 Osa-M systems.
I also agree in it. Buying New Missile System will lead to huge ambitious tender, with large delay then nothing

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles