AH-64E Apache attack helicopter

Adux

Country flag
Use of Gunship only will make more problems in Urban CT ops..

Listen to this man, A Professional:
http://defenceforumindia.com/internal-security/26267-straight-talk-e-n-rammohan.html
I saw that after you posted, it was amazing interview. My contention this isnt the same air-strike, that we call air-strike today in India. This actually minimize collateral damage than what we do today with our tactics. It saves more lives and is more accurate. The only reason we are having problems is because we perceive arieal attack in a certain way. Apache's changes that. This is one of the best decisions India has made.

Taking COIN of the table, this kind of fire power and mobility especially in the western sector gives tremendous boost to the IBG thrusts.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Use of Gunship only will make more problems in Urban CT ops..

Listen to this man, A Professional:
http://defenceforumindia.com/internal-security/26267-straight-talk-e-n-rammohan.html
Kunal,
Waht you say is perfectly OK but one has to visualise things beyond todys narrow scope of CT operations in Urban millieu.

Appache's characterstics of an accurate system fully networked would fecilitate its use as good plateform for ambush, breaking ambushes, snipping from the air and providing fire support. Those who have not participated in Operation PAWAN in the jungles of Vavuniya or in cities like Jaffna, Batticaloa etc or seen proceedings of Op Thunderstroam, operation Blue Star fought as a higher level of Urbanised CT operations would still stick to AK - 47 being the weapon of CT operations. However, there are and have been situation when the SF has to face escalted voilance in CT ops necessitating use of plateforms such as hepters.

One has also to keep in mind how the offensive or defensive operations in Indian plains would be fought. Both sides of the border is filled with sprawling villages which have become towns. All the defensive and offensive operations will center around these. Both sides do not have such massed Artillary that these are razed to the ground before entry. The infantry and mechanised fores would be required to clear or mask many of these. If one gets stuck up there, it would be operation loss.

Attack hepters would be excellant plateforms to be used for distruction of enemy C4I systems or part thereof, make entry, neutralise AD and mechanises forces in effective manner.

I shudder to to think if the Indian Army is called upon to take quick operation in the cities of our neighbouring country or in Indias sphere of influence such as Jaffna again. India is expected to help out aour neighbours on a call. Think of their towns and cities.

The way our towns are mushrooming, the future of insurgency will be based on these townships and mostly involve CT operation. Even the terrorists have become urbanised.

When I pointed out advantages of Apache over MI - 28, I had all these in mind. Even in jungles, appaches would be excellent persuit plateforms and good for road opening sweeps, covoy protections and supression.

Destruction of Al Khalids would be life time opportunity, if at all. But all other contingencies would be regular feature. Army would be employed as CPOs are miles away till now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1. Its not narrow minded, But practical, see the vids, look what Mr suggested and why no to Air-power in urban.

2. We use MI-25 with success in IPKF operations, We even use T-72M1 in Urban, We learned the lessons..

3. AK-47 suits our need, Its best in the environment we fight..

4. Yes, their are times we felt need for Attack gunships now we have, We do hunt tangos on mountain and jungle, We use IAF MI-17 with rocket pods..

5. Their is no doubt Attack helos like LCH and Apache will make big difference in today's warfare, Lot better..

6. Again if we say Urban, See Point 1, Here we need to upgrade Infantry to fight better..

7. AL-kahlidis have gained same kind of immortality as it used for pattons during 71 war, Dont worry our T-72 can knock them off, Apache is over kill..

Adux

Country flag
1. Its not narrow minded, But practical, see the vids, look what Mr suggested and why no to Air-power in urban.
Its impractical in 1980 and 1990's, not the same now.

2. We use MI-25 with success in IPKF operations, We even use T-72M1 in Urban, We learned the lessons..
They dont count for anything, both of them above examples have nothing to do with Apache's.

3. AK-47 suits our need, Its best in the environment we fight..
Kills more IA men, especially officers, destroys more homes through Carl Gustav's. We have to change tactics, along with increase in our capabilities.

4. Yes, their are times we felt need for Attack gunships now we have, We do hunt tangos on mountain and jungle, We use IAF MI-17 with rocket pods..
Not the same as Apache's

5. Their is no doubt Attack helos like LCH and Apache will make big difference in today's warfare, Lot better..

6. Again if we say Urban, See Point 1, Here we need to upgrade Infantry to fight better..
Agreed, but that is not the reason 'not' to employ the Apache's.

7. AL-kahlidis have gained same kind of immortality as it used for pattons during 71 war, Dont worry our T-72 can knock them off, Apache is over kill..
I dont think anybody is worried about painted chinese junk.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Apache looks mean in black. India should keep that color.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its impractical in 1980 and 1990's, not the same now. Kills more IA men, especially officers, destroys more homes through Carl Gustav's. We have to change tactics, along with increase in our capabilities.not the same as Apache's,They dont count for anything, both of them above examples have nothing to do with Apache's. but that is not the reason 'not' to employ the Apache's.
You have least Idea, How things are done and why, I have given you enough reason..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

we should buy at least 10 of these.................... our LCH lack this feature it will be quite helpful in future.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We may go buying 24 of these, Presently the number is 12..

pankaj nema

Country flag
These Apaches will be most useful if deployed in the Akhnur Samba Jammu sector

We can massacre Pakistan 's Army reserve north which is tasked with breaking in this crucial sector
also called Chicken Neck

Here India is surrounded on three side by Pakistan and A Tank offensive by Pakistan
is a certainty in a war

JBH22

going through this thread many see the Apache as a wonder weapon that will tackle pakistani army on its own,:laugh:
Guys its only 22 that will be bought!!wake up

pankaj nema

Country flag
^^^
22 copters is not the reason for excitement

The excitement is about the fact BOTH Pak and China will NEVER get to see something as SEXY as this

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The numbers that are bought is as per the Threat Analysis.

They are normally used with the Mechanised Forces.

That must be the priority and then, as the financial situation develops, more will be bought to supplement, if needed for the Mountain Divisions that are basically to be used in the offensive mode.

One cannot also rule out the possibility that though combat proved, they require to be proved suitable for the Indian terrain and operational doctrines.

Adux

Country flag
You have least Idea, How things are done and why, I have given you enough reason..
Suits me fine Kunal, what I say is done daily by the US Armed Forces! But hey, I ave 'least' idea. Your reasons are quite geriatric to say the least

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
How about these for eye candy?

Lockheed Martin aircrafts - Apache is down left/ center.

Apache wolfpacks ...

[video]item.liveleak.com/view?i=184_1302839925[/video]

The internals ...

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I just wonder if the Russians will now sell their Mi-28N night hunters to the Pakis or the Chinese ...

sukhish

ace009,
Let them sell, if pakistan has the capacity to buy. I dont' care. we can't just keep comparing us with pakistan everytime.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I just wonder if the Russians will now sell their Mi-28N night hunters to the Pakis or the Chinese ...
Why Russian would do that, They new this was coming..

Besides, China is now deigning a new generation helo same as Cobra for high altitudes, But unlike LCH its a single turbine..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles