Agni V Missile

EagleOne

No option such as u said is possible as of now due to MTCR .MTCR will restrict it to 300km
and coming to agni-5
ICBM range is 5.5K and agni official range is not yet know it has been speculating between 5-6K

Suryakiran

The headlines says that it is an ICBM, but the body of the news says that "India finally plans to test its most ambitious strategic missile Agni-V, with near ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) capabilities, this December after some delay. "

They should have told this in the headlines itself... But, anyway it is a good decision. Let us hope we will make this test a success.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Has anyone heard Britney Spears song,

I am not a girl, not yet a women. All i need is time, a moment that is mine, While i am in between...Laa La La Laa Aaahhhhhh?

That is the same with Agni-5 its not an IRBM and not yet an ICBM, all our missile and DRDO program needs time and a moment that is ours.

Last edited:

Suryakiran

I have a small doubt. Is there any missile with the name Agni-4 under development? Or, they just jumped from Agni 3 to Agni 5?

pmaitra

^^ Good question. I have been wondering about the same thing. Read on:

Agni 4 Long Range Missile - Capable Of Striking Inland China

2007-12-12 India announced major plans to increase its nuclear capabilities Wednesday, saying it was close to testing a ballistic missile capable of hitting targets up to 6,000 kilometres (3,800 miles) away.

Such a distance would nearly double the military's current strike range, putting targets even in Europe within reach, and came one day after neighbouring Pakistan tested a nuclear capable cruise missile. M. Natarajan, who heads the Indian government's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), said flight tests of Agni-IV ballistic missiles would begin within months.

"We want to repeat the tests and we have plans for a minimum two such repeats," Natarajan told India's Times Now private television network. "One, sometime within the first quarter of next year, and another within nine to 12 months," said the chief of the DRDO, which has been developing India's missile arsenal since 1983.

"Although I won't say the exact figure I would reckon the figure of 5,000 to 6,000 kilometres should be quite adequate for the country's needs." V. K. Sarswat, head of the DRDO's strategic systems branch, confirmed the Agni-IV was under development while other scientists told AFP it was likely to be fully operational within three years.

India in April tested its longest-range Agni-III missile, capable of reaching targets 3,500 kilometres inside neighbouring China, with Saraswat saying the weapon was being further upgraded. New Delhi has already deployed two variants of the Agni -- a 700-kilometre (434-mile) Agni-I and the 2,500-kilometre (1,550-mile) range Agni-II after flight-testing both missiles numerous times since 1993.

The comments by the DRDO officials followed rival Pakistan's announcement that it had tested a nuclear-capable cruise missile, vowing a strong response to any international attempt to seize its atomic arsenal. India and Pakistan have fought three wars, two of them over the disputed northern territory of Kashmir. The two countries are currently engaged in peace talks over a range of bilateral issues, including Kashmir, but both have continued a military build-up.

Saraswat also announced two tests earlier this month of Indian manufactured interceptor missiles, saying they performed better than Patriot air-defence batteries manufactured by US defence group Raytheon. Work on the two separate nuclear-capable missile interception systems began in 1998 and despite technology refusals by Western powers they will be ready by 2010, he said.

"The effectiveness of the system would depend on how much can we spend on it but it is required by a country like ours as we have a no-first-use (nuclear strike) principle," the scientist said. Saraswat said the missile defence shield, backed by a string of coastline radars and high-end monitoring systems, would also make it almost impossible for hostile aircraft to penetrate Indian airspace.

"It is a defensive posture and so it doesn't alter the balance (of power) in the region," he said, after two 1.2-tonne interceptors shot down two incoming ballistic missiles in the Bay of Bengal in two tests earlier this month.

Source: Agni 4 Long Range Missile - Capable Of Striking Inland China | India Defence

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
something funny going on - probably called state military secrets - i recall reading on this very forum an article quoted from a chinese miitlary daily , about a year ago that india already had missile with range capable of hitting any target in any part of china including the northeastern heilunjiang province where the city of harbin is located and most of chinas military industruial complex ...... and now true to indian style reporting we are hearing that the new agni 5 can do just that ....now what shall we make of the standards of journalisnm and reporting , unless of course it's "state secret "

plugwater

^^ True. Agni 3 can travel 3500 km with 2500 kg payload and Agni 5 can do 5500 km with 1500 kg. So there is no real increase in the range. They are just changing a two stage missile to three stage .

IMO Agni 5 is just a canisterized three stage Agni 3 with MIRV.

bhramos

Country flag
i heard that not more then 10-20 missiles of Agni family exists in Indian arsenal..
how true is that???

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
i heard that not more then 10-20 missiles of Agni family exists in Indian arsenal..
how true is that???
May well be true as all of them so far have been Pak centric. We need more of A3s and A5s now for china.

plugwater

Preparations apace for Agni V launch

Preparations for the launch of Agni-V in December 2011 are gathering speed, with all the three stages of the missile having been successfully tested at Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh's Bastar district. Agni-V will be India's most powerful missile, capable of targeting places as far as 5,000 km away with a one-tonne nuclear warhead, giving teeth to the country's nuclear deterrence programme. It will be the missile with the longest range in India's arsenal: in comparison, Agni-III has a range of 3,500 km.
"All the three stages of Agni-V have been tested successfully on the ground," V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, said on Thursday from Chandipur in Orissa, after the successful launch of India's new missile, Prahaar. "The integration activity of Agni-V is now in progress. Our team, headed by Avinash Chander, is working hard for launching Agni-V in December. It will be a national mission."
Mr. Chander is Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). He earlier worked as Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory, Hyderabad, which has designed all the variants of the Agni missiles, including Agni-V.
DRDO rocket technologists said all the three stages of Agni-V would be fired by solid propellants. The missile, 17.2-metre long and weighing 50 tonnes and with a diameter of two metres, will be launched from a road mobile system from the Wheeler Island off the coast of Orissa.
In 2007, the DRDO developed a large rocket motor-casing made entirely of carbon filament-wound composite, a crucial step towards building Agni-V. This casing will form the third upper stage of the missile.
The DRDO will launch two more missiles by the end of 2011. In August, it will launch Agni-II, which can target places 2,000 km away. It will be launched by the Strategic Forces Command of the Army, which handles nuclear delivery systems. In September, the DRDO will fire the Agni-II Prime missile, which has a range of 2,500 km. The maiden launch of this two-stage missile failed in December 2010, because of a problem in the control system in its first stage.

The Hindu : News / National : Preparations apace for Agni V launch

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
If the launch happens and if it is successful we can expect a lot of posturing from China.
But who gives a ****.
Go Agni.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
What i am really waiting for is not the first flight of Agni V but the first view of the cansisterised launch system; Much like the Arihant the first truly compact and easily concealable TELAR for an Agni class IRBM has the capabilities to completely change the game for the Indian Strategic forces.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Isn't this missile more bulkier and taller than DF-31, even we are using carbon/ composite material?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Isn't this missile more bulkier and taller than DF-31, even we are using carbon/ composite material?
The real specs are not out but yea our missiles tend to be bulkier than the rest of the advanced missiles in the world. A lot of work remains to be done. The next generations of missiles should address those problems.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
The real specs are not out but yea our missiles tend to be bulkier than the rest of the advanced missiles in the world. A lot of work remains to be done. The next generations of missiles should address those problems.
The ultimate aim for agni series is to use all composite stages, that's what is mentioned in the link posted by manc, our missiles ranges are always mentioned with full payload, we can decrease the payload and...........

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
The ultimate aim for agni series is to use all composite stages, that's what is mentioned in the link posted by manc, our missiles ranges are always mentioned with full payload, we can decrease the payload and...........
Nitesh, DF31 is shorter and lighter than A5 from the speculative data we have on A5. But it goes twice the distance with the same payload.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I have a small doubt. Is there any missile with the name Agni-4 under development? Or, they just jumped from Agni 3 to Agni 5?
There is no Agni 4.

But grapewines state that K-4 is the Agni 4 - a SLBM.

how true is that???
No one except the PM, the three service chiefs, the Atomic Energy Commission chairman and the top honchos in the SFC,ASL know anything about the number of Agni series missiles or the number and yield of Indian nuclear weapons.

There is no sense in speculating.....

Last edited:

Articles