Agni V Missile

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Isn't this missile more bulkier and taller than DF-31, even we are using carbon/ composite material?
It doesn't matter if A-V is bulkier than DF-31 as long as it can deliver required payload at required spot, ICBMs are not made for duel btw. Regardless as been stated already, A-V represents first generation of Indian ICBMs and one can say in future it will be replaced by lighter variant as and when DRDO develops lighter propulsion system.

Nitesh, DF31 is shorter and lighter than A5 from the speculative data we have on A5. But it goes twice the distance with the same payload.
Better lighter propulsion system can achieve better longer distance but TWICE seems bit exaggerated specially when seen with fact that we are not naive in SLVs. More than often, claimed superiority of Chinese weapons are more hype than any.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Nitesh, DF31 is shorter and lighter than A5 from the speculative data we have on A5. But it goes twice the distance with the same payload.
Saar, do we know exact range of our missiles? We have seen in past that there is quite a lot of ambiguity built in, in our advertised details. We should concentrate on what is coming in future, like all composite stages, which would increase the through away weight with range too, why to forget the paint developed in IISc :D. Here is 40% increase in range for you.

Apart form that, it is stated policy that we are concentrating in our region, we are not concentrating to threaten the world with our missiles.

sayareakd

Country flag
@yusuf lot of people dont like Indian missile with extended range, so we have range that will satisfy many as our only requirement. As the saying goes, Intention changes overnight, but to build capabilities it takes decades, so why take chance.

I would say our only goes 4990 km, good enough for us, just keep in mind that we can send satellite to moon.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Nitesh, I am not doubting our missile or criticizing it or anything. I am just saying, these missiles are first gen for us and we will evolve into next gen of missiles like we have with the Shaurya. Having lighter smaller weapons is always desirable. I am sure we will develop those in due course. Right now our aim is to have such a capability in the first place before refining it.

nrj

Country flag
Let them test first missile. Lets first have some visuals some reliable specs. There is always a scope to push it beyond 10k+. There can be different versions for deployment on specific locations. SFC can also come in picture to refine the specs :)

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Agree yusuf saar, we are on same page

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
If the launch happens and if it is successful we can expect a lot of posturing from China.
But who gives a ****.
Go Agni.
I don't see what posturing those commies will do other than some usual needling because their missiles already cover us since decades. I hope by the time Agni-V's submarine launched version comes, this government is replaced so that we might actually have a strong military doctrine that actually goes along with our strategic capabilities rather than just showcase them around like Japanese and South Koreans.

Technically as DRDO put it, we're capable of making a 10,000 KM+ ICBM but don't do so out of the 'need'. Hope that Surya ICBM is not a myth (or it is maybe like Arihant was once:peep:)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Well, we are only replying to the Chinese. All the posturing was done by them when they deployed DF21s in Tibet. Worse they are now in what is our land held by Pakistan (PoK and GB). We are only waking up from our slumber now.

agentperry

lets first test agni V then we will be at a platform to speak out. more of it i think they added an extra layer and reduced payload of agni 3 which is again an additional motor to agni 2/ so in a way agni 2 is made to cover long distance by reducing payload and increasing no of motors.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Technically as DRDO put it, we're capable of making a 10,000 KM+ ICBM but don't do so out of the 'need'. Hope that Surya ICBM is not a myth (or it is maybe like Arihant was once:peep:)
I will distribute sweets to everyone in my area the day we announce a 10k+ ICBM.

It is a must...no country on this world should be safe from us if they try anything against us.

Galaxy

Country flag
Ist development flight of Agni-V missile in December: Saraswat

New Delhi, Sep 27 (PTI)

The first development flight of the long range Agni-V missile would be conducted in December this year, DRDO Chief V K Saraswat said here today.

"The first development flight of Agni-V will be in the month of December this year... Agni-V will take us to a level of 5000 km plus class of missile systems which meets all our threat requirements," Saraswat, who is also Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister A K Antony, said.

He was interacting with reporters on the sidelines of the inaugural ceremony of Golden Jubilee celebrations of Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS), a premier DRDO lab working in the area of physiological development of soldiers of the armed forces.

Replying to a question on whether DRDO is planning to develop Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs), Saraswat said, "We are not developing any ICBM. Our threat perception today is not requiring development of any ICBM."

He said that the country possesses the capability to develop longer range missiles.

"Whether it is a 5000 km range missile or a 10,000 km range one, it requires the same technology. Only the magnitude of the rocket motor, the size of the rocket motor, or the diameter of the missile changes. But the science and technology remains the same," he said.

On the recent test firing of Prithvi-II missile, Saraswat said it was a training launch carried out by the Strategic Force Command (SFC).

"Missiles like Prithvi-II and Agni-III are already inducted in the armed forces. Forces have already taken certain number of these missiles. Now as part of the total programme, from every batch of production, they take one or two missiles to validate its production worthiness and second thing is that they train their units," he said.

"Every time a new unit (of the forces) comes, it has to be trained. So what you are seeing today are the training firing of these missiles. Yesterday's firing of Prithvi-II was also a training launch carried out by the SFC. Similarly, all the previous firing were done as part of that," Saraswat said.

On weapon trials of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas which is going on at a firing range in Pokhran, Saraswat said, "Yesterday LCA fired a laser guided bomb which had a direct hit on the target under heat conditions in Pokhran. It was the first such firing from the aircraft."

He said the aircraft is expected to get the Final Operational Clearance (FOC) from the IAF by 2012.

On development of Mark-II version of the Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun, Saraswat said the tank would be equipped with advance and modified systems such as an integrated gun capable of firing anti-tank missiles and a display system to show several functions to assist the soldier.

"Missile firing capability in Arjun Mark-II will be completely unique. It will be capable of firing laser guided missiles with pin-point accuracy. The missile will be integrated with the MBT and it would be capable of defeating the tank's armour," he said.

Arjun Mark-II will have several different capabilities, for example, a different kind of gunner sight and panoramic sight along with an integrated display, which is not there at present, Saraswat said.

"The integrated display has got multiple functions like target detection, it can see how the missile is going to be located and function for firing different weapons. The display will also show if the tank is moving through an amphibious area," the DRDO chief said.

On systems to ensure improved performance of soldiers operating the tank, he said, "The internal ergonomics will undergo required changes. All the systems will have to go for a reorientation mode. We have also made some new devices like human cooling system."

Indian Army has ordered 142 MBT Arjun Mark-II which would be ready for commissioning within a couple of years.

Last edited:

arya

Country flag
great news i wish they induct ASAP

its should not be late

arya

Country flag
No its not going to be "ASAP". You would have to wait another 5 years atleast.
do you really think we have 5 yrs

in my personal view with in 1.5 years we have to face china on ground

next last year will be very critical for India its better we prepare our self that we are ready for any worst thing

my one question how will be reply them if suppose war take place in future

plugwater

great news i wish they induct ASAP

its should not be late
No its not going to be "ASAP". You would have to wait another 5 years atleast.

next last year will be very critical for India its better we prepare our self that we are ready for any worst thing

WTF!!! :frusty:

Galaxy

Country flag
After testing, Generally 2 More years for Induction (as per past record of Agni 2,3). By 2013 end, Agni-V will be operational. Next 2-4 years are very important for us.

Galaxy

Country flag

You are on DFI for last 2 years, Still you don't have basic knowledge of Indian missile capability.

We have Agni-3 operational. (Range 3,500 Km). We can Hit Shanghai from A.P. :thumb:

By the way, No chance of War so soon. But if happens, We can face. So, Relax, Don't panic :pound: !!

sayareakd

Country flag
cheap way is to load 6, A3 on 3 merchant ships and fire those missile from other side of north korea, Japan at a safe distance and target all the key cities of china in only worse case situation.

Till A5 and K5 become operational, let panda feel the heat that it is not safe from all side. Everything is fair in love and war, nuclear deterrence would work better this way.

arya

Country flag
@ plug water :: dont do that that will hurt you

@ param :: my question is on ground how much we are ready , well you must be agree with me next two years will be very critical for asia, as an
defence expert i think we should be ready for all time for the worst thing

Articles