Agni V Missile

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
RCI & Agni-V

The Research Center Imarat (RCI), a sensitive and less-discussed wing of India's Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), is playing a key role in India's next-generation missile programs.

RCI is currently involved in air defense systems (ADS) and the Agni-V long-range strategic missile. "The lab has successfully participated in successful demonstration of ADS with over five launches so far," an RCI official says. "The Agni-V, capable of traveling a maximum range of 6,000 kilometers [3,700 mi.], is scheduled for a maiden launch in March 2011. This would further put India among a select group of nations with such advanced deterrent systems."

The Exposition Hall at RCI provides a peek into various missile systems and other platforms that are currently being developed by the lab. DRDO chief V.K. Saraswat has laid down a mandate for RCI to become a leader in missile technologies.

RCI has been designing and developing state-of-the-art missile technologies for more than two decades. It is DRDO's largest unit responsible for developing missile systems and avionics like inertial navigation systems (INS), control systems, real-time embedded computers, imaging infrared seekers, radio frequency seekers and power supply systems.

Telemetry and teleoperation systems also are developed by RCI to evaluate missile performance during the development phase. "Our focus has been developing world-class, state-of-the-art missile technologies that will produce precise and reliable, indigenous weapon systems to back the needs of the armed forces," RCI Director S.K. Ray says. "We want to be a leader in development of guided missile systems by delivering frontier technologies, multi-disciplinary competence and avant-garde infrastructure leading to self-reliance,"

Located close to the new Hyderabad airport, RCI is spread across 2,100 acres. The lab has successfully produced missile technologies that were denied to India under the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) by Western countries, including fiber-optic gyros, ring laser gyros, electromechanical actuators, pressure sensors, rate gyros, lithium and thin film batteries, imaging infrared domes and IIR/RF seekers.

As the crucial unit of India's Missile Complex, RCI has been pivotal in launching the Prithvi surface-to-surface missile, the Dhanush ship-launched missile, the Agni long-range missile, the Akash medium-range surface-to-air missile, the Nag anti-tank missile, the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, the Astra air-to-air missile and the submarine-launched K-15 missile. The lab works closely with the Defense Research and Development Laboratory and the Advanced Systems Laboratory, which are both based in Hyderabad.

Source:AviationWeek

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Agni-V to be test fired in September 2011

India will acquire an inter-continental strike capability as it intends to test-fire the indigenous inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM) Agni-V with a range of 6,000 km in September.

The first nuclear-tipped inter-continental missile would add muscle to India's "dissuasive deterrence" posture against China as it would be able to strike even northernmost China if the need arises.

"The Agni-V is test ready and would be tested in September this year. The test is one of the 10 missile tests scheduled this year," a senior official of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said, requesting anonymity.

The missile arrives in the backdrop of China developing an anti-satellite missile and anti-aircraft carrier ballistic missile Dong Feng-31A with a strike range of 11,200 km. If launched from close to the Line of Actual Control, the Agni-V can hit Habin, the northernmost city of China.

The Agni-V missile has moved from the drawing board; an evaluation of subsystems is currently on. The ICBM is designed by adding a third composite stage to the two-stage, 3,500-km range Agni-III missile. The 17.5-metre-long Agni-V would be a canister launch missile system to ensure it has the requisite operational flexibility to be swiftly transported and fired from anywhere.

The DRDO will also be conducting fifth test for its ballistic missile defence system, designed to destroy missiles both inside (endo) and outside (exo) the earth's atmosphere.

"We have conducted tests for the interceptor missile (the name by which the ballistic missile defence system is known) but this year we will conduct simultaneous test for endo- and exo-atmospheric ballistic defence system," the official added.

Source

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I have been a member of DFI for a couple of years now. I have read numerous post on this thread over the past couple of years but I am still puzzled.

It seems like reports of successful tests here are followed by a report of the same system failing in later test. I realize that this is hard stuff. Maybe they changed something in the configuration of missile system. Its back and forth. Bottom line is you dont know what to make of these DRDO reports.

I think that the Indian culture makes it hard to admit when things go wrong. There is a tendency to cover up failure to save face.

It looks to me like the only reliable missile system that India currently has is the Prithvi.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I have been a member of DFI for a couple of years now. I have read numerous post on this thread over the past couple of years but I am still puzzled.

It seems like reports of successful tests here are followed by a report of the same system failing in later test. I realize that this is hard stuff. Maybe they changed something in the configuration of missile system. Its back and forth. Bottom line is you dont know what to make of these DRDO reports.

I think that the Indian culture makes it hard to admit when things go wrong. There is a tendency to cover up failure to save face.

It looks to me like the only reliable missile system that India currently has is the Prithvi.

Uhh? The Agni-V has never been tested yet. How then can reports of its success be followed by reports of failure and then "by cover-ups"?

The Agni-V is still in development. It is India's first dedicated ICBM, I say dedicated, because India technically could achieve intercontinental capability by reducing the payload on its Agni-3 missiles. The Agni-V will achieve ICBM status, with a full payload, and will hopefully be married with M-IRV's, if everything at the Advanced Systems Lab. of the DRDO goes well.

Consequently, the Agni-V is difficult, because a third stage will be added to the two stages on the Agni-3. A maraging steel canister has also been developed to make the missile fully road-mobile. Simultaneously, a miniaturized version of the Agni-V is being developed for submarines to provide a potent third-strike capability.

Honestly, I'd rather they take their time and get it right. Imminent war is not around the corner, anyway.

The Prithvi's are not the only missiles that are credible. The Agni-I, II are credible, too. The recent failure- Dec. 10, 2010 was of the Agni-II*, an intermediary between the Agni-II and III. It was an experimental missile, with dual solid-fuel stages, as opposed to the first-stage liquid-fuel/second-stage solid-fuel rocket of the normal Agni-II. It was a test in anticipation of the Agni-III, it failed and they tried again. The second time, they succeeded.

Missiles test fail all the time, either due to weather conditions or technical snags. The Pentagon, through the Missile Defence Agency, recently experiencde 8 on 15 test failures in tests they had conducted on the GMD- Ground-based Midcourse Defense system. The only difference is, our media goes on parading it about like its a national failure, while others don't. In terms of success:failure ratios, India scores slightly higher than most other countries. And we know, we're not puttin it on.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Agni-V in comparison with other international ICBMs

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Agni-V in comparison with other international ICBMs

Are you sure about the Topol M data? Because I read somewhere that it has a range between 15,000-20,000 Km? Besides, I think we are really lagging in the range. We don't need a 5-digit range like other 3 countries, but we DRDO could have made Agni-V around 8,000-9,000 Km. That would more comfortably have put it in ICBM category. That is, until the Surya series is out officially.

@Mattster

Buddy, the Agni-V is going to see its first test. Whatever successes/failures you saw were of previous missiles of the same Agni series. Agni-III is the latest one joining our forces and it is a spanking success. Agni-II that saw a failure was not because of its making flaws but because it has long been inducted and they were simply testing a new updated software on it. This is routine failures when new softwares and updates are tested on existing platforms. The same was tested on BrahMos cruise missiles as well.

Prithvi is a long different story man. Its all set and being used. The Agni series was essentially for our larger 'friend' in the region since they have a habit of getting uppity every now and then.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
when will india launch its first true 12000km+ true icbm rather than developing succesivevariants of agni in every 5-10 years whose range is an a.p with common difference of about 1500km? what is the the status of surya icbm project which drdo was supposed to be working in the 90's

warriorextreme

Country flag
when will india launch its first true 12000km+ true icbm rather than developing succesivevariants of agni in every 5-10 years whose range is an a.p with common difference of about 1500km? what is the the status of surya icbm project which drdo was supposed to be working in the 90's
whom should be attack with 12000KM range missile? :)

SHASH2K2

As of now our priorities are in our neighborhood and specially Asia. A 5000 km range missile will be more than enough to serve our needs . Agni 5 is more about using MIRV which allow multiple warheads and thus its lethality . Also will decrease in payload weight its range can be further increased . In coming days somehow is we have any enemy which is more than 5000 kms away our nuclear subs can do the job. with less amount of money available for Research we should spend wisely and only on critical and essential technologies.

captonjohn

Country flag
It will take time because it's not just creating a missile which can reach at that much distance but also should be able to hit target with high accuracy. Such missile should be high tech and should be able to fool radars and Anti-missile systems. Another reason is that 12000+ km range missiles are now just a symbol of power and they won't be serious threat as anti-missile technology matures. So instead of developing a missile with that much range is useless because we don't have any possible enemy for which we need it and for just a power status we shouldn't waste our resources until it seriously become a need for nation.

EagleOne

unknown enemy is worse than known enemy :)

better to be safe than sorry.
true but it will create more complications

gradual improvement may be better in this case

Last edited:

warriorextreme

Country flag
unknown enemy is worse than known enemy :)

better to be safe than sorry.
such a huge missile will make us safer but from whom?
it will make more enemies for us.
I think we should make missiles that will reach each and every major city of china.

Country flag
I think we should make missiles that will reach each and every major city of china.
we have plenty of enemies even with our lower range missiles, having longer range missiles let's us give a reply when none could be given before.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
instead having capability to strike anywhere on planet gives us more safety. China is already within reach.

MAD ie if anyone tries anything funny.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles