Agni V Missile test launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

Quick question: Can Agni-5 with <5.5K km be still considered an ICBM? Theoretically it might have >5.5K km, but if it is not tested, it still should not be an ICBM, from my PoV. Why are newspapers getting so excited?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^
pmaitra saar, enough news bites have given, including the re-entry speed (mach 24), it's an ICBM tested at lesser distance

plugwater

Quick question: Can Agni-5 with <5.5K km be still considered an ICBM? Theoretically it might have >5.5K km, but if it is not tested, it still should not be an ICBM, from my PoV. Why are newspapers getting so excited?
It is not an ICBM. Some time back i read an article that our armed forces chiefs are pushing for the development of real ICBM since DRDO Saraswat said in press conference that they have the technology to do it if they asked to. After that our politicians must have screwed it up.

pmaitra

As described in times now the range of AGNI 5 is 6000 Km and not 5000 Km............
6000 km is incorrect information.

DRDO says it is 5000+ km.

Answering questions seeking details of Agni 5 long range surface to surface ballistic missile, he
said "Agni 5 ka launch mid April main hoga, Iski range 5000 km se jyada hogi. Yah ek ballistic missile
hai. Iska subse achchha feature yeh hai ki Isme composite motors hain jo sabse achchhi hoti hain". (Agni
5 will be lauchned in mid April, its range is over 5000 km. It has composite motors which are considered
the best)
Link: http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/dpi/press_release/DefExpo_2012_03_04_2012.pdf

plugwater

^^
pmaitra saar, enough news bites have given, including the re-entry speed (mach 24), it's an ICBM tested at lesser distance
Correct me if i am wrong here. Missiles are classified as ICBM according to their range only.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Correct me if i am wrong here. Missiles are classified as ICBM according to their range only.
Yes you are right buddy, but re entry velocity also gives you an indication of the class of missile :D

pmaitra

^^
I would hope so.

I guess they are doing it for political purposes, to keep off international pressure. However, newspapers are simply misquoting. More than 5000 km is not 6000 km. It does not confirm anything and leaves a lot to speculation, and whether 5000+ km is >5.5K km or <5.5K km is just speculation.

<fingers crossed>

plugwater

Yes you are right buddy, but re entry velocity also gives you an indication of the class of missile :D
Like we can anytime increase the range if we master the most complex technologies in a missile :)

plugwater

IMO most of the technologies they have in Agni5 are already testing in monthly prithwi tests which we may have considered those tests as useless.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
ok this should celar the doubts I guess:

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : Agni-V set to soar today

Agni-V, India's most powerful ballistic missile with the longest range, is all set to lift off from Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast, on Wednesday evening. It can take out targets 5000 km away.

Although it is of the class of an Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM), the success of the mission will enable India join a select band of nations with capability to design, develop and produce Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs).

Many crucial technologies will be tested during the flight of the missile, whose three stages are being propelled by solid fuel. The test will last 18 to 20 minutes before the missile impacts the target point deep inside the Indian Ocean.

The 17-metre-long and 50-tonne missile can carry a 1.1-tonne nuclear warhead. However, in this mission, it will carry a dummy payload.

A few hundred scientists and missile technologists have been working round-the-clock for the past many days to integrate the sub-systems of the missile, which was uploaded late on Tuesday evening on to the trailer of the road mobile launcher.

V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, told The Hindu, the launch will mark a "historic day." "Agni-V is a game-changer and a technological marvel. It is a weapon which can perform multiple functions." It could be used for anti-satellite capability, for putting micro and nano satellites in orbit and carry multiple warheads.

Dr. Saraswat said it was comparable to the missiles of this class developed by the U.S., France, Russia and China. He said the performance of the systems during the phase three and four tests had been good and satisfactory.

Avinash Chander, Chief Controller (missiles and strategic systems), Defence Research and Development Organisation, said: "This is the first time India will have a true deterrence. We had a good deterrence with Agni-III and an upgrade with Agni-IV. But Agni-V gives you a total quantum jump in that capability.

He said that it could be launched from a canister giving India the "stop-and-launch" capability. It could be stopped on the roadside and launched, providing it great mobility.

V.G. Sekaran, director, Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Hyderabad, said the missile's second stage motor casing made of carbon composite had led to drastic reduction in the weight. This would lead to higher performance. Describing it as a "user-friendly" missile, he said its footprint was the same as Agni-III. There was tremendous potential for achieving higher ranges, he added.

plugwater

Agni-3 17m height, 48 tonnes and 2500kg payload.
Agni-5 17m height, 50 tonnes and 1500kg payload.

So the differences are extra one stage, decrease in payload and little heavier.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
5k km range is specifically taken for not to alarm other friendly nations, once succesful it can easily go 8k, for china A4 is enough but it does not give MIRV options.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
for jingoes

The Hindu : News / National : Crucial Agni-V launch today

The three-stage, solid propelled missile was taken to the launch pad in the early morning to conduct range readiness checks. It was later shifted to another shelter and the vehicle will be brought back to the launch pad a few hours before the launch.

The Flight Readiness Review meeting and Launch Authorisation Board are scheduled to meet later in the day to give the final nod for the launch of the missile at around 19.00 hrs.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
when is test and why thy are going ga-ga over before test. history tells that whenever they went ga-ga over any test they failed in that . so it would be better if they test it first sucessfully and then went ga-ga over it

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
when is test and why thy are going ga-ga over before test. history tells that whenever they went ga-ga over any test they failed in that . so it would be better if they test it first sucessfully and then went ga-ga over it
Nimbu latkao bhai. Nazar lag jaegi !!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well, may be they don't want anyone to have a visual. I am sure spies would have lined up near wheeler islands. Plus spy satellites zeroing on India. India managed to hoodwink spy satellites during nuke tests and probably they don't want to give maximum "show" . For me it just adds to the suspense. I think this is a 8k range missile but we will not declare that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles