ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

The Fox

Re: ADA LCA Tejas - IV

Holy smokes......... then i think that i might go and watch the air show in Bangalore where they fly mk II only with my kids i guess......
Mk1s IOC and FOC schedule won't be related to Tejas Mk2.

Mk2s first flight is supposed to be late next year or even in early 2015. IOC is expected two years later. These are the only official dates. The rest are speculations.

IOC in 2016 would mean production starts from that year. A more optimistic schedule would be between 2018 and 2020. More die hard observers are expecting production to begin after 2020. Some are expecting FOC in 2024, giving it a 9 year testing cycle instead of 3 or 4 that ADA must be expecting.

According to P Rajkumar, it should be inducted sometime in 2020.

p2prada

Re: ADA LCA Tejas - IV

Holy smokes......... then i think that i might go and watch the air show in Bangalore where they fly mk II only with my kids i guess......
Your kids? Try higher. :p

The last time ADA set such a sure date was sometime in the early 90s with IOC in 1999 and once against in 1999 with IOC in 2006. Today we know it will be at least September 2013 if not Feb-March 2014. All for Mk1.

So take ADA's schedule with sacks full of salt.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
When money for the two Td's was released only in 1993. How could LCA achieve IOC by 1999?

Pvs only started rolling out at 2004-05. Then how with FSED phase -two after that there is no way to get IOC by 2006.

And if FSED phase -2 was taken up with major redesign of wing according to IAF"s new needs of heavier air to air missiles with higher launch stress and further range, How can IOC to be achieved by 2006?

Compersion

Country flag
Not sure if this was asked earlier. Why doesn't the GOI create another HAL division in Pune (one can call it something else). They would compete against the HAL division in Bangalore. In tenders and contracts both would need to submit bids. For example the Tejas MK II why dont you have competition for the contract. One can also move half the Bangalore HAL to another location to create such a atmosphere and structure.

rvjpheonix

Country flag
Not sure if this was asked earlier. Why doesn't the GOI create another HAL division in Pune (one can call it something else). They would compete against the HAL division in Bangalore. In tenders and contracts both would need to submit bids. For example the Tejas MK II why dont you have competition for the contract. One can also move half the Bangalore HAL to another location to create such a atmosphere and structure.
Nice idea.We should make a new division not taken from bangalore and try to make a new and more efficient work environment. Taking the same guys out will make the same lethargic work culture.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Naval LCA MK-2 will be ready before INS Vikrant goes to Sea trials:

According to sources close to idrw.org, Naval LCA MK-2 will be ready before INS Vikrant Goes to sea trials somewhere around end of 2016, with launch of INS Vikrant, there is considerable amount of pressure of ADA and HAL to deliver Naval LCA MK-2 by the time INS Vikrant is ready for sea trials.

Naval LCA MK-2 according to sources will likely have its first flight by end of 2015 or mid 2016 and will be ready to carry out landing on decks of INS Vikrant by 2017; Navy has requirements for 46 MK-2 aircrafts which will be powered by General Electric's F414-GE-INS6 engine with 98 kN of thrust and refined aerodynamics. INS Vikrant has been designed with a separate aircraft lift and maintenance facilities for the LCA, in addition to facilities for the MiG-29K.

Navy already has placed orders for 6 Naval LCA MK-1 which will be used to carry out testing on its shore-based test facility which has come up at INS Hansa Naval base in Goa. SBTF in Goa replicates an aircraft carrier deck on ground, complete with arrested recovery and a ski jump for takeoff. This facility, which is expected to be operational by end of 2013, will be used for certifying Naval LCA Pilots before actually flying off an aircraft carrier. Naval LCA MK-1 will also be used for pilot training and for training maintenance crews.

The LCA Navy NP-1, which has been grounded for one year now, after just four flights which started in April last year, could take to the skies again later this year after major modification to its landing gear, NP2 which is a Single-seat variant is already under construction and will be ready for first flight after NP-1 is back in air. There has been considerable amount of delays in building NP-2 since landing gear changes involved significant amount of re-engineering but NP2 will feature fully redesigned landing gear and other changes before its first flight.
Source : Naval LCA MK-2 will be ready before INS Vikrant goes to Sea trials: Source | idrw.org

Decklander

what is ghost?
I had a brain wave to create a small ac based on the same thought as Folland GNAT with some stealth features and internal weapons bay for launching missiles and bombs. I put that concept on paper and engaged couple of guys from IIT Mumbai to create initial digital mock up. Also engaged a Mumbai based company which is good in CFD analysis. I am pursuing it as a private venture funded by my own resources. I am very much down the road to achieve my targets in terms of RCS and size and capabilities. This ac has one additional feature which most stealth ac lack. A 10.5m size which gives visual stealth like GNAT. I have only given it stealth shaping and not gone overboard for stealth as that wud have made it very heavy & big.
Initial RCS calculations are extremely encouraging. We will have design freeze within this month and then we start making the mesh for CFD analysis. It is non FBW, stable design with very low manouever margins.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The 23 Coolest Military Birds In Flight Right Now - Business Insider[/QUOTE]

relaxed static stability is the last word in fighter designs across the globe, it is praise worthy that ADA got it right on the first attempt itself.

fly by wire alone should not be confused with relaxed static stability,

many non relaxed static stability planes also have fly by wire tech as well like JF-17, but that does not make them super maneuverable like tejas

Note the words relaxed static stability, other than Mirage-2000 , it is the only bird in the IAF to have this design , which permits super maneuverability , in the all crucial close combat - trans sonic flight regime. coupled with a very low RCS , low wing loading and hight thrust to weight to ratio and high instantaneous turn rate, it is on par with most modern fighters on the globe.

even mk-1 has a twr of 1.07, mk-2 will have more than 1.27 as TWR,

The TWR of 1.27 for mk-2 is almost the same as that of RAFALE along with RAFALE sized asea radar,

future upgradation of the mk-2 with conformal fuel tanks and external stealth weapon pods will make it even more deadly in the skies of asia, getting as close to the functionality of the 5th gen stealths as possible.

Sad thing is that the IAF is rationing orders in low numbers( like 40 for mk-1 and 80 for mk-2) to kill any potential large scale induction of this bird in our fleet citing various unjustifiable reasons,

A large order of close to 300 plus for mk-2 will make it a huge export success and make it the top forex earner for the country.
because then only a production line with capacity for 30 plus birds every year can be set up
considering the 400 odd dilapidated Mig-21s, 23s, 27s and jags populating the IAF fleet , it is imperative IAF does that,

And IAF should have given a PSQR for LCA mk-3 with 5th gen stealth specs long ago, but instead they dragged on for a decade to give a ASR for AMCA and altered it atleast three times,

A simple twin engined stealth version of LCA mk-2 with twin K-9 engines on the lines of the Mirage-4000 development would have given a very worthy bird in range and payload at a very short time for IAF if decision was initiated at 2004, but it was purposely not done like the purposeful delay in giving PSQR for HTT-40 till 2009 to make sure it never enters production.

But it is not happeneing due to the wheels with in the wheels mechanisms working within the top decision decision making sections of this UPA regime.

Last edited:

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
I had a brain wave to create a small ac based on the same thought as Folland GNAT with some stealth features and internal weapons bay for launching missiles and bombs. I put that concept on paper and engaged couple of guys from IIT Mumbai to create initial digital mock up. Also engaged a Mumbai based company which is good in CFD analysis. I am pursuing it as a private venture funded by my own resources. I am very much down the road to achieve my targets in terms of RCS and size and capabilities. This ac has one additional feature which most stealth ac lack. A 10.5m size which gives visual stealth like GNAT. I have only given it stealth shaping and not gone overboard for stealth as that wud have made it very heavy & big.
Initial RCS calculations are extremely encouraging. We will have design freeze within this month and then we start making the mesh for CFD analysis. It is non FBW, stable design with very low manouever margins.
I have read about your project from your posts on other forum but I am not able to find it now, can you just start a new thread about your new fighter jet concept and give details and pictures as much you can afford to give in public.
from what I remember your concept is non FBW, very small(smaller than lca ?), single engine concept. I am not a professional like you but an amature and to my limited knowledge non Fbw design are out of date, even the Russians have abandoned it and adopted FBW controls.I see professionals like you against pakfa, f22 and then I see another professional like gambit, deathbychocolate etc supporting such fighter jets. what about your colleagues opinions ?are they in agreement with your concept or more towards pakfa, f22 type designs ?I am more towards stealth, big,FBW type fighters.

Decklander

I have read about your project from your posts on other forum but I am not able to find it now, can you just start a new thread about your new fighter jet concept and give details and pictures as much you can afford to give in public.
from what I remember your concept is non FBW, very small(smaller than lca ?), single engine concept. I am not a professional like you but an amature and to my limited knowledge non Fbw design are out of date, even the Russians have abandoned it and adopted FBW controls.I see professionals like you against pakfa, f22 and then I see another professional like gambit, deathbychocolate etc supporting such fighter jets. what about your colleagues opinions ?are they in agreement with your concept or more towards pakfa, f22 type designs ?I am more towards stealth, big,FBW type fighters.
F-15 is non FBW, stable design. I hope that shud make things clear to you. Regarding the details, I wud not like to share them at this stage as we are at a very critical stage of design phase now. The final decision will be taken after the CFD analysis to continue or abondon the project.

brahmastra11

If I am not wrong before you said design is based on GNAT airframe right ?

F-15 is non FBW, stable design. I hope that shud make things clear to you. Regarding the details, I wud not like to share them at this stage as we are at a very critical stage of design phase now. The final decision will be taken after the CFD analysis to continue or abondon the project.

brahmastra11

If your project gets success that would be best jet to operate from surface carriers as more numbers can accommodate.

All the best.

Decklander

If I am not wrong before you said design is based on GNAT airframe right ?
Negative, What I stated was that it is based on same philosophy and thought. Light, small, high sortie rate, least maintenance support aircraft capable of being operated from grass strips and roads.

Twinblade

Country flag
First LCA Tejas Mk.II prototype next year?
By SP's Special Correspondent
Photo Credit : SP's Special Correspondent

August 21, 2013:

The first prototype of the LCA Tejas Mk.2 could be rolled out in 2014, it has been revealed. In an exercise to locate and certify line-replaceable units for the evolved Mk.II jet, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has revealed to prospective development partners and suppliers of a hydraulic pump, among other components and systems "HAL-ARDC is taking up for development and qualification of certain LRUs required for catering to LCA-Mark 2 version. The first prototype aircraft is slated for built during 2013-14, while series production(s) are planned for induction to fleet which is stated to be taken up in two phases commencing from 2016 onwards."

The timelines appear optimistic, especially since 2014 is when the LCA Mk.I will only be attaining final operational clearance towards squadron service. That being said, work has indeed begun in right earnest at Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and HAL to build a mock-up of the new jet before getting started on metal cutting for the prototype. A whole raft of tenders and request for information have flown out from both agencies for several different kinds of metal, composites and systems to put the new jet together.
http://www.spsaviation.net/exclusive/?id=253&h=First-LCA-Tejas-Mk.II-prototype-next-year?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Negative, What I stated was that it is based on same philosophy and thought. Light, small, high sortie rate, least maintenance support aircraft capable of being operated from grass strips and roads.
I still support reopening the production lines of Harrier AV-8B. Nothing comes close to it in the CAS role.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
It will depend on the availability, Drdo one will be 100% of Tejas ..

But i have suspicion about HAL one, Is this AESA tech from dassault ( there is no news about Rafale deal recently ) but again working on AESA on sudden and that is too from a agency which have no experience of making even radars, HAL is know for nut & bolt work regarding jets ..

It is possible DRDO taking much info from HAL for Tejas AESA improvements..

Will DRDO or HAL AESA radar will be available for TEJAS MK II.

Articles