ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brahmastra11

Can you explain more about Ratan Tata intervention in saving LCA project

Indian Air Force :: HAL and the Indian Aviation Industry

Food for thought for MOD, if it wants to seriously retain valuable talent here, because I faintly remember that one DFI technocrat in particular posting that salaries for the present scientific workforce under the government was more than enough, Unfortunately the author does not think so.

But this is what IAF is doing by placing 20 plus 20 plus 80 order batches for IAF . The article writer is a retired test pilot of HAL.
He stresses the importance of high volume order to develop higher level production standards and efficiency with lower cost .
While IAF and IA follow the same principle for large import orders with foreign vendors , it does the opposite with local production

and less said the better about the IA order numbers for Arjun.

it would be possible only if higher volume orders are given for Arjun or Tejas. Because you won't expect any private sector firm to invest in production line and tech for 20 plus 20 plus 80 orders spread over a decade. It is a waste of resource and time for them.

So IAF will continue to lament about the production quality at HAL and lack of private participation , without even realizing it is their actions that leads to this sorry situation. In the combat theater LCA in it's mk-2 version can do most of all what RAFALE can do because both have the sane TWR, same RSS delta design and will have almost the same ITR and STR.

And we have to see whether RAFALE can achieve all it's top specs in indian hot and humid weather conditions. Certainly it won't as experience already has shown. Su-30 MKI , Mig-29 and LCA tejas all have the same top speeds at Indian hot and humid weather conditions in skies over GOA as the official press release suggest.

With ever increasing chinese PLAF numbers having LCA mk-2 in more than 200 hundred numbers is a basic requirement and it will also stimulate a huge interest among local big private players to get into defence production leading to massive increase in quality control issues.

By givin 20 plus 20 plus 80 order nothing of this sort w9ill ever happen.

So there is nothing wring in giving 250 plus order number for Tejas mk-2

Why this engine development was not funded is a serious mystery, However recent Wiki leak revealations exposing that a son in law of the former IAF chief and princes of ruling dynasty were the chief lobyists for the tender that killed the Marut will definitely provide the motivation in ruling circles not to fund the orpheus 12 engine development.

This mysterious decision lead to destruction of HAL's design capabilities and flight of Kurt Tank led design team,

Only after seeing this sorry state of affairs the scientific elite of the country including many from ISRO, DRDO , to carve out the design team from HAL into ADA and the result today is LCA is about to enter into service .

During the United front government the decision to close the LCA program was almost taken and it was the intervention of Ratan TATA which saved the program.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
there was also somewhere I read that Soviets were ready to offer the project -33 fighter(the JFT in present avatar ) to India , if india decides to stop the LCA tejas project. I don't have any citation for this piece of news though,

And the GOI of the time politely refuse was last I heard about that.

Ratan Tata saved the Tejas program: I give a lot of credit to Mr Ratan Tata for the Tejas program. Not many know this story. To me, he was one among the few who saved this national project from closure. In 1990-91, I attended a LCA program review meeting in Delhi. Prior to this meeting, a high-level committee involving MPs had visited the facilities in Bangalore to see what progress we had made. I knew that the agenda of the meeting was to close the program. While some appreciated our work and commitment, they wanted it to be shut. But, Mr Ratan Tata completely backed us and said: "It will be a shame if the project is closed. I have seen the technology and I am convinced that the project will definitely see the light of the day. I want private industries to come up and play an active role in the Tejas program." The rest is history.

Ganesh2691

Tejas flight update

LCA-Tejas has completed 2302 Test Flights Successfully. (28-Aug-2013).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-369,LSP1-74,LSP2-281,PV5-36,LSP3-157,LSP4-93,LSP5-209,LSP7-53,NP1-4,LSP8-24)

From
LCA-Tejas has completed 2298 Test Flights Successfully. (24-Aug-2013).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-368,LSP1-74,LSP2-281,PV5-36,LSP3-157,LSP4-93,LSP5-209,LSP7-51,NP1-4,LSP8-23)

brahmastra11

Add 2 more flights of today.. :)

Tejas flight update

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-369,LSP1-74,LSP2-281,PV5-36,LSP3-157,LSP4-93,LSP5-209,LSP7-53,NP1-4,LSP8-24)

From
LCA-Tejas has completed 2298 Test Flights Successfully. (24-Aug-2013).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-368,LSP1-74,LSP2-281,PV5-36,LSP3-157,LSP4-93,LSP5-209,LSP7-51,NP1-4,LSP8-23)

brahmastra11

We have 5 LSPs 4 PVs and 1 NP.. Total 10 .. (Ignore TDs.. as they are too old now.)

Why cant they make 2 batches and work on more efficient service & maintenance methodology..

so that each batch can fly 1 sortie each and that fastens test flights also improves Tejas service & maintenance system..

And one day they can reach a level to do 10 flights with 5 air crafts in a day.. that encourages small countries to buy Tejas in small nos at least (if they cant afford to maintain nos.) and acquire more air power.

ladder

Country flag
LCAs to be ready by mid-2014, says India's top scientist

HYDERABAD: Production work to roll out the country's first indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas began in full throttle and the first few aircraft should roll out by mid-2014, India's top defence scientist said on Friday.

The lightweight multi-role combat aircraft, which is in the making for 30 years now, has gone through several phases of streamlining in the drawing room after the armed forces expressed reservation about its faulty initial design.

The LCAs are supposed to replace India's ageing fleet of MiGs, and Avinash Chander, the newly-appointed chief of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and scientific advisor to defence minister AK Antony was hopeful that things had finally fallen into place. "As such, the production work has already started full throttle. So, currently there are no bottlenecks to prevent the rolling out of first lot of these indigenously built LCA by middle of next year," Chander told TOI.

"Production rate, I believe is around 16-20 per year and huge orders would assist in good production rates," he said.

Although the time frame for getting the initial operational clearance-2 for Tejas has now been set at 2013 year end, Chander said he was confident that the aircraft will be ready for the clearance by September-end.

"Final Operational Clearance (FOC) for our first modern Light Combat Aircraft for Indian Air Force would follow soon thereafter. Meanwhile, these two processes can go on parallel to save precious time in delivery and induction once the IOC-2 and FOC are given," said the DRDO chief.

For obtaining IOC-2, clearance has to be given at three different levels, including one from the defence minister and another from the chief of the air staff.

Engines manufactured by United States-based General Electric Aviation would be powering these indigenously manufactured LCAs after the global giant won the contract way back in 2010.

After the initial supply of 99 engines (GE F-404 and GE F-414), for IAF and Indian Navy, the rest shall be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in India, after obtaining licence under a Transfer of Technology agreement.

HAL will than manufacture 40 GE F-404 engines in two lots of 20 each for Tejas Mk-I for IAF and another 100 GE F-414 engines for Tejas Mk-II.

Officials said that having undergone extensive weapon trials, all weather trials, various angle attacks and having checked various parameters, LCA Tejas, once ready will be capable of carrying out long range beyond visual range weapons.
LCAs to be ready by mid-2014, says India's top scientist - The Times of India

ladder

Country flag
So 139 40 GE F-404 for Mk-I and 100 GE F-414 for Mk-II :hippo:
Well I think 99 (GE 404 and GE 414) will be directly imported.( excluding the 24 or so GE 404 imported for LSP's)

and then 40 GE 404 ( for first engine change for mk-1) and 100 GE 414 will be produced at HAL under licence production.

Link added:

http://www.livefistdefence.com/2010/10/ge-statement-f414-powered-lcas-mission.html

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsindia-jet-engines-tejas-lca-supply-contract-us

Last edited:

p2prada

So 139 GE F-404 for Mk-I and 100 GE F-414 for Mk-II :::

:hippo:
Current available engines,

F-404 - 17 + 24 = 41 engines. That's 21 for prototypes and 20 for SP-1 to 20.
I think they will order 20-30 more for FOC aircraft, for both IAF and IN.

F-414 - 9 engines ordered for prototypes.

Another 90 will be ordered depending on how LCA Mk2 program progresses. Apart from 99 engines there are options for 50 more engines.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Good news ..

HYDERABAD: Production work to roll out the country's first indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas began in full throttle and the first few aircraft should roll out by mid-2014, India's top defence scientist said on Friday. "As such, the production work has already started full throttle. So, currently there are no bottlenecks to prevent the rolling out of first lot of these indigenously built LCA by middle of next year," Chander told TOI.

rvjpheonix

Country flag
He promises around 16-20 aircraft a year! Have we already set up two lines and given the subcontracts? I will take that with a pinch of salt.

p2prada

He promises around 16-20 aircraft a year! Have we already set up two lines and given the subcontracts? I will take that with a pinch of salt.
I already mentioned this somewhere.

Anyway, work cells can be enhanced based on delivery requirements. Unless more orders don't come in there is a limit to the number of aircraft assembled. But there will only be one assembly line.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Flight Test Update...

26 flights since July 30th, so close to a flight a day. In May/ June/ July we had close to 140 flights. More than 300 flights overall this year. Hope to see this continue and getting IOC-2 ready in September or even October would be a very welcome development at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles