ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vram

Country flag
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence

So our defence minister A.K. Antony did a great job with the tejas team, despite the unintended slip up with the Mig-21 replacement statement,

Perhaps the drubbing he got within the cabinet and the press would have goaded him to give a deadline to all three stake holders HAL, IAF, ADA to put their head together and do the goodwork.

Such attention is very badly needed in Arjun tank program as well. Hope with tejas one out of the way he takes it up as his next priority assignment making sure IA gives an order of atleast 500 Arjun mk-2s with the same staggered IOC and FOC approach.

Kudos to the man for standing with the tejas team to achieve this milestone.
Yes Saint Antony was definitly behind the project...even the ones like the vikrant under construction are being pushed by him.. But a defence minister has to be bit more of a firebrand cant be seem as being too meek...

sayareakd

Country flag
At the expense of sounding like an ignorant fool (I am only anguished), how can Tejas and Dhruv be considered indigenous if most of the components including the engine are foreign?
Well the answer to this lies in Economics, where countries have comparative advantage in cost. Meaning their by that it is not financial viable to make every nut and bolt in India. If we can get it same from out side at less cost then making and developing in the country. All the major system we have made it here, except the engine.

This also save time, move and effort and product comes out fast.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I guess they sped up the video from 2:07 to around 2:40. However an interesting part is before it does those maneuvers it deploys the air brakes to slow down. Never seen that before of tejas. Overall nice video! @Decklander sir can you confirm whether its sped up or normal speed?
We all have never seen anything about the agility of Tejas till now, not just you, because it's flight envelope was not opened up to full before 2013.

Who told you the video was speeded up?what is the basis of your guess?

What is the basis of your assumption for the video to be speeded up?

it was a HAl release , so there is no reason to suspect the video is speeded up.

tejas did the same thing in iron fist video released earlier.So no reason to doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Tejas a Step Closer to Induction into IAF - The New Indian Express

According to Antony, a total of six squadrons of the MK I and MK II variants will be inducted into the IAF and 40 planes into the Navy with an option of increasing the numbers upto 200. The MK II variant is in the final stage of design and will come up for a preliminary design review in mid-January, according to Director ADA.
great news on just after the IOC, so the numbers will be 200 minimum for tejas mk-1+tejas mk-2,

this will help to ramp up production facilities to 20 plus an year as desired by HAL.

this will give immense help in marketing tejas mk-2 in international market as people will think twice about buying a fighter which has very small number induction into home air force, as low numbers or no numbers in home air force, means no scope for continuous upgradation of the platform in future.

nirranj

Country flag
Dr Avinash Chander should have atleast mugged up some of the tech points that He was referring while he spoke. The video when it showed Tejas was like a Attention demanding Sci Fi film while the DRDO chief message was like a Saas Bahu Serial,.... Awwww.... Hope He is more action oriented person than our great orator leaders!!!

rvjpheonix

Country flag
We all have never seen anything about the agility of Tejas till now, not just you, because it's flight envelope was not opened up to full before 2013.

Who told you the video was speeded up?what is the basis of your guess?

What is the basis of your assumption for the video to be speeded up?

it was a HAl release , so there is no reason to suspect the video is speeded up.

tejas did the same thing in iron fist video released earlier.So no reason to doubt it.
Basis is video of ADA itself. Go check it out once again. The same part is way slower. Also I remember seeing a video on YouTube of tejas in iron fist of third party which had the speed shown in the latest video. I guess the company which made the video made a goof up. Because I don't think it can be the other way around?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Basis is video of ADA itself. Go check it out once again. The same part is way slower. Also I remember seeing a video on YouTube of tejas in iron fist of third party which had the speed shown in the latest video. I guess the company which made the video made a goof up. Because I don't think it can be the other way around?
which company made the video?

There were no third parties involved.

it was directly made with the camera below the tejas which was flying in front in Iorn fist.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Jadavpur University researchers cheer as LCA Tejas gets operational clearance - The Times of India
When defence minister AK Antony handed over the Release to Service Certificate of India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas to Indian Air Force chief Air Marshal NAK Browne at Bangalore on Friday, there were some in Kolkata who heaved a sigh of relief. They are researchers at the Jadavpur University (JU) who have been closely associated with the development of India's indigenous aircraft of international standards. By the end of 2014, nearly a squadron of Tejas MkIs will have joined the IAF. Gradually, these aircraft will replace IAF's aging Mig-21 fleet.

"We are certainly happy. We have been closely associated with the development of the Tejas. However, it wouldn't be right to divulge details," a source at JU said. One of the departments of JU that collaborated with the Aeronautical Development Agency was the Centre for Knowledge Based Systems. This centre was entrusted with independent verification and validates of Flight Control Law Software for the LCA. The grant for this project was Rs 40 lakh.

Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, have also been associated with the LCA project along with those from the IITs at Kanpur and Mumbai. Their contributions have been extremely hush-hush affairs though.

"The development of the LCA would not have been possible without the active support of academic institutions like JU and the IITs. The IAF chief pointed out during the day that the progress of such a challenging experimental project without any accident or major incident is unprecedented in the history of aviation. We have close tie-ups with these academic institutions for other projects as well and the progress has been phenomenal," a DRDO official said.

rvjpheonix

Country flag
which company made the video?

There were no third parties involved.

it was directly made with the camera below the tejas which was flying in front in Iorn fist.
I dont know how to upload a video otherwise I would have shown the difference. Just check it out once more on ada's website of iron fist video and compare with the latest one..

vram

Country flag
they need to work on quality of metal work, if they want to have home grown world class fighter then they need to work on metal. This quality wont do. :frusty:
This is mainly because the aircraft that is flying today or rather any lsp's are heavily modified ones with addons and what not changes done to the aircraft ad-hoc...and hence you might see bad finishes...TO me it seems the earlier component for the intake was removed and newer one added at a later stage.keep in mind that the design was not frozen until very recently.THis is the reason why the IAF said they will accepting only SP version of that the aircraft . To me other the rest of the aircraft seem to be nicely put together and that is the reason why areas of probable modifications seem to stand out distinctly

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
they need to work on quality of metal work, if they want to have home grown world class fighter then they need to work on metal. This quality wont do. :frusty:

I read somewhere that The LSPs were assembled in jaguar era production line leading to bad finish, this itslef has shaved off nearly 6 percent of the performance .

However with new production line with modern facilities going on stream we can expect some improvement,

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Imagine that you are a foreign spectator, and see that a 4th-4.5th gen made in India combat aircraft is being inducted into IAF, how adventurous it feels :yey:

vram

Country flag
I read somewhere that The LSPs were assembled in jaguar era production line leading to bad finish, this itslef has shaved off nearly 6 percent of the performance .

However with new production line with modern facilities going on stream we can expect some improvement,
Basically what is needed here is not very high technology stuff or high science .We just need precision laser guided robotic or semi automatic sheet cutter and also moulder capable of maintaining high intergrity at high temperatures for metal. Not sure about the composite part but should be along the same principles. I have seen these kind of machines being used in major companies like TATA motors in pune and also Hyundai and L&T in chennai. India has the expertise for these machines atleast for the past 20 years so should not be a big deal.
As you said the new facility should improve things dramatically. Basically I think HAL used whatever facility was available for the LSP to keep the costs down. Just like ISRO using the satellite bus that was developed for the GSAT series of sats and jury rigging it to become capable of supporting data and instrumentation of interplanetary probes like mars mission or chandrayaan...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles