ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Re: LCA set to join IAF

Depends on what you call stealth features. Scope of design changes will be very limited. However other solutions to enchance stealth could be used such as ram coatings, gold tinted canopy, radar blocker in the intakes. However, this will only convert the aircraft to semi stealth. Lack of internal weapons will also hurt Tejas.
Who told you scope of design changes will be very limited.

original tejas ASR as stated by MSD Woolen retired HAl chief and airmarshal is,

1.5 mach top speed at tropopause,

12 ton MTOW

17 deg STR,

30 deg ITR

4 ton weapon load,

80 Kn engine with a TWR of 1

a simple MMR doppler radar,

Tejas mk-2 will significantly exceed all those original design specs by a substantial margin.

So it is not correct to say its growth potential is limited by it's design.

The biggest mistake in your post is-"RADAR BLOCKERS FOR INTAKES".

Since tejas has a Y duct intake there is no need for radar blocker.

PAKFA is lugging 1980s era radar blocker because of the huge exposed Engine blades due to the straight air intake inherited from Su-30 design.

So Tejas will never need radar blocker as radar waves will never reach the engine blades well hidden by Y duct air intake especially designed for that.

As far as intake is concerned Tejas is the proper 5th gen stealth compared to 4th gen non stealth air intake design of PAKFA.

Also please google the silent eagle concept , silent RAFALE concept and Silent Hornet concepts and educate yourself on stealth external weapon pods. it is no rocket science and it is not fighter specific.

tejas has a huge under wing surface to perfectly fit a big stealth compliant external weapon pods.

SO lack of internal weapon bays in the fuselage may not be much of a problem for tejas mk-2 to go 5th gen stealth.

Eventhough internal weapon bays are are less drag inducing , external stealth weapon pods too can be designed with aerofoil design principles in mind with minimum drag.

Last edited:

cloud

Country flag
there is no single engine AMCA,

If you take crash stats Mig-29 shares almost the same percentage with Mig-21 . So as it gets older it is not going to improve it's record further.

orders for FGFA has been slashed from 166 to 100 plus , because of non availability of two seaters and still there is a big tussle going on between MOD and SUKHOI for equal partnership in design and R&D with both sides digging their heels in the work has been delayed by about an year on the indian FGFA version.

The PAKFAs that are flying are not flying with the engines meant for them , they are flying with older engines, official projection for FGFA specific engine to enter into bench tests is 2018.

Also we don't know whether J-20 will have lesser RCS than FGFA or PAKFA. This will have a huge impact on FGFA order , because for AMCA IAF demanded 100 percent stealth compliant design scuttling ADA designs three times. So it won't be fair on IAF to spend tens of billions on FGFA which by may have many times higher RCS than J-20. If it does it is a self defeating decision.

IAf should put the same condition of 100 percent stealth like F-22(whose frontal design J-20 copies with S shape air intakes ) on FGFA if it is to be effective against J-20. because it is entirely possible that russians may sell FGFA engines to J-20 in future considering the financial power of China.

In such a situation it will be foolish for IAF to have a FGFA which shares the same engine as that of J-20 with many times bigger frontal RCS than J-20.

So things are not set in stone for IAF like the way you interpret it to be. So need of higher number of tejas mk-1 and Mk-2 is more critical now for IAF. It is no filler stop gap measure as you think. As a stand alone platform tejas mk-2 confers class leading 4.5 the gen capabilities for IAF at a fraction of the cost .

So you don't have to treat it as a gift horse that just acts as a filler.
When I said filler, I didn't mean it that way. :)

FGFA orders should be increased to 300, that's what I meant in my post. I. e. the numbers I gave should be ordered for any of the mentioned ACs. with that number of orders probably Russians will share more techs in same line as MKI. I know it will be huge money, but if we ditch the Rafale we can make it with that additional money.

I will never buy the argument that J20 will be superior to FGFA/PAKFA, it might be a little bit more stealthy(for which I have big doubts) and internal load wise, but on everything else no way..

Similarly it will take Chinese atleast 15 years before they could make an engine of the same capability which will go in FGFA, So I have no doubts that DRDO/GSRE will take any less time then Chineas, unless their is some rapid push from top level along side some good tot on FGFA engine. Yes Russian may sell the engines to Chinese, But we don't have much options anyway. I don't see any version of Kaveri cutting it for Stealth AC for future, even in twin config mode for medium class fighter jets. Also with that big order we can actually get a deal for approx 2000-3000 FGFA engines for reserve use or to be used in our other ACs with good amount of Tot to maintain them at home. That will take care of any worry on the availability of engines for single engine AMCA.

I'm ok even if the AMCA being twin engine(even that engine will be most probably American), but single engine AMCA looks good enough with FGFA engine for mass production. Thats is why I would say keep making the LCAs(twin seater versions, but as capable as LCA Mk2) at the rate of 24 per year(even if we have to make 300 of them) until we get the next 5th gen fighter development in air. These LCAs will serve atleast 15-20 good years in IAF as point defense ACs and adversary like Pakistan, then can slowly be replaced with AMCA. While they(LCAs) themselves can replace the hawk trainer jets and some can be converted to other mission specific role(UAVs control via 2nd pilot, ground attack etc etc.) or we may even sell them at 2nd hand price and get some diplomatic advantage with countries which may need them at that time or those LCAs themselves can be converted into UAVs. I mean having space for 2 seats from the start will have more possibilities as they will not be front line ACs anyway for IAF, we can even use that extra space(2nd seat) for some special EW role or extra fuel in later upgrades or any other upgrade which requires more space inside such as additional equipment to make them UAV etc..

PS: MIG21s have served us good, and so will the MIG29 for their price, if we don't overstretch their lifetime I believe.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Major reason for Tejas exsistance as a light fighter is to counter ' War of Attrition ' ,The Tejas are useful compare to Rafale or most importantly SU-30MKI is that it runs at very lower cost and made in India ..

For Example in war, 10,000 sorties are done with SU-30mki for CAS ( Taking out enemy command, Supply chain, Bridges and PGM drop ) where one or two Laser guided bombs needed to complete the task, takes more money as they burn more fuel and more maintenance for those huge engines and large airframe, This cause fast exhaustion of operational capability of Air-force and it weaken county`s economy..

BUT

Same with tejas takes lesser money as they are small single engine fighter and ability to drop multiple PGMs for variety of CAS targets, Smaller Airframe and small single engine burn less fuel hence lesser operational cost and smaller airframe & Engine gives lesser maintenance, At the same time they are mullti-role in nature and can change roles quickly..

This is a Major reason light fighter exist ..

=======================

Besides Tejas can land and take off from short runways or Roads, It is made in India so there is no restriction on modifications and upgrades we can do on airframe and can produce as many as we want, Tejas are vital for future wars specially with China, Tejas at the moment is the only fighter which is made in India and can be produce in hundreds like China with J-10/11 ..

vram

Country flag
Terminologies aside, What count is logic ..

There is no way India is going to win any future wars with imports, Men and Machine have to be National ..
THIS is the most important point of all. We can keep importing till the end of this world but it will be only borrowed strength. Its like a soldier trying to fight with crutches.. The crutches might be shiny new with all latest gadgets and 'stealth tech' but at the end of the day it is still a crutch... the LCA can be mig 21-- minus but still better than a rafale that nobody knows how to even maintain or make emergency changes without french training.

NOW for me the most important point is getting a working engine in the liu of the GE414...even the mkii version can wait. In my opinion self reliance on the engine is the most important next step...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Afaik, Kaveri engine is sent to Russia for testing on IL-76MD then MIG-29 there only .

DRDO have plans for mounting Kaveri in a prototype Tejas ..

---------------------------

Related to this, Viatnam is interested in tejas only if its with Kaveri engine as a replacement for there older MIG-21 ..

vram

Country flag
Afaik, Kaveri engine is sent to Russia for testing on IL-76MD then MIG-29 there only .

DRDO have plans for mounting Kaveri in a prototype Tejas ..

---------------------------

Related to this, Viatnam is interested in tejas only if its with Kaveri engine as a replacement for there older MIG-21 ..

Yes I think that was the latest information on the kaveri engine I have as well. Do not know about the Vietnam angle as I thought that these where only rumours floating in the internet. Have not seen any articles from reputed news sites about this...

For me the biggest Disappointment about this LCA program was the engine. Getting the Kaveri to work must have been up there in the priorities along with the Tejas itself.Sadly we slipped there....even now the plans remain only plans about testing in the TD-1 of tejas...

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
When I said filler, I didn't mean it that way. :)

FGFA orders should be increased to 300, that's what I meant in my post. I. e. the numbers I gave should be ordered for any of the mentioned ACs. with that number of orders probably Russians will share more techs in same line as MKI. I know it will be huge money, but if we ditch the Rafale we can make it with that additional money.

Right now there is no clarity on FGFA. IAF is not interested in accepting PAKFA as their FGFA.

And FGFA engine will enter bench test only in 2018.

And chances of PAKFA with that engine getting exported to China in high hundreds is as real as the present talked about negotiation between china and Russia for Su-35 in hundreds with a better engine than the ones present in SU-30 MKI.

There is no bar on Russia to export PAKFA with a new engine to China in high hundreds as arms export is their most important strategic tool to maintain their fighter design and manufacture at cutting edge,

For this just a 100 plus order from IAF or even 300 as you mention is just not going to be enough.

So For the forex we spend we may not get any significant edge over china in long term unless we develop our own twin engined AMCA. And induct them in high hundreds.
I will never buy the argument that J20 will be superior to FGFA/PAKFA, it might be a little bit more stealthy(for which I have big doubts) and internal load wise, but on everything else no way..
You may not buy it Bu J-20 has serpentine stealth compliant air intake that covers the engine blades of both engines fully.

But PAKFA has straight air intakes that leave a portion of their engine blade to enemy ASEA radars.

So there is no way PAKFA is going to be more stealthy than the J-20. In engines , stealth coating , missiles and avionics J-20 may not match up to PAKFA. But this frontal RCS is an important draw back for PAKFA vs J-20.
Similarly it will take Chinese atleast 15 years before they could make an engine of the same capability which will go in FGFA, So I have no doubts that DRDO/GSRE will take any less time then Chineas, unless their is some rapid push from top level along side some good tot on FGFA engine. Yes Russian may sell the engines to Chinese, But we don't have much options anyway. I don't see any version of Kaveri cutting it for Stealth AC for future, even in twin config mode for medium class fighter jets.

Twin engined AMCA is being planned with two Kaveri future upgraded versions. There are no other engines in fray for AMCA unlike Tejas which had GE-404 as a back up. Because you can not rely on any other country to sell you engines for your stealth fighter.

And we can develop AMCA with whatever thrust version of Kaveri that is available . Even RAFALE has two 75 Kn engines only. Right now Kaveri can generate 70 plus KN thrust with just about 200 KG excess weight than the RAFALE engine.

All we need to do s to improve the service life and reliability by putting it through a series of flight qualification tests.

Kaveri marine engine has a TET(Turbine Entry temperature of 1540 deg). There are some reports that the recently developed Single crystal blades by DMRL presented in Aeroindia2013 has a much higher TET limit.

If this is true we are now at the 1990 level of western engine tech. So it is a commendable achievement in itself.

So it is not impossible to develop suitable engines for AMCA within a decade with much higher thrust.

We can always design AMCA with 20 percent less range or 20 percent less weapon load carrying capacity with kaveri engines and make it up with higher number of fighters .
Also with that big order we can actually get a deal for approx 2000-3000 FGFA engines for reserve use or to be used in our other ACs with good amount of Tot to maintain them at home. That will take care of any worry on the availability of engines for single engine AMCA.
I don't know any other country in the world that has bought and stored 3000 FGFA engines in one go.
Since we have engine design and fighter capacity the most viable and useful option is to produce AMCA with twin Kaveri engines in the long run,Which is easily doable as I explained above.
I'm ok even if the AMCA being twin engine(even that engine will be most probably American), but single engine AMCA looks good enough with FGFA engine for mass production.

Kaveri engine will enter flight trials within an year. So AMCA will be either based on Kaveri or the new tender called by GTRE for a JV with foreign engine makers whose end product engines total IP rights and vital manufacturing tech will be with india .

AMCA will enter trial phase with American GE-414 engines , but production version will have Kaveri.

Already V.K. Saraswath has talked about single engine stealth Tejas mk-3 which can easily be developed with the many concepts already done for the now dropped stealth MCA(which was upgraded to AMCA) . But IAF has shown no interest till today.

But once Tejas mk-2 enters service and proves itself ,situation may change and IAF may give it's whole hearted participation in Stealth tejas mk-3 with single or twin engines.

So tejas with single pilot and long range PGMs more than fit the IAF bill.
Thats is why I would say keep making the LCAs(twin seater versions, but as capable as LCA Mk2) at the rate of 24 per year(even if we have to make 300 of them) until we get the next 5th gen fighter development in air. These LCAs will serve atleast 15-20 good years in IAF as point defense ACs and adversary like Pakistan, then can slowly be replaced with AMCA.

Tejas is not a point defence fighter, From where did you get the idea, i don't understand!!!

4th and 4.5th gen fighters will be present in all airforces in huge numbers for at least another two or three decades.

Even after the induction of 5th gen fighters there will be roles for 4th and 4.5th gen fighters.

Even 5th gen fighters will fly with both stealth and non stealth modes with external weapons as per the mission's demand.

What is worse with tomorrows IRST tech and L and higher band ASEA radar tech most stealth fighters of 5th gen can easily be detected at the same distance needed for the 4.5th gen fighters of today ,by the time they enter service in huge numbers.

So stealth may even become just another survival aide as Israeli airforce expects to be in the future and game will revert back to pure aerodynamics over stealth.

IAf wants to keep much less capable Mirages and Jags for the next twenty years.

So the utility of tejas mk-2 which will have more or less the same capacity as that of grippen NG will be far more prolonged than 15-20 years time you expect.
While they(LCAs) themselves can replace the hawk trainer jets and some can be converted to other mission specific role(UAVs control via 2nd pilot, ground attack etc etc.) or we may even sell them at 2nd hand price and get some diplomatic advantage with countries which may need them at that time or those LCAs themselves can be converted into UAVs.

You don't need to convert tejas into UAV!!!!!!!!

As I said when Jags and Mirags will serve IAf for the next 20 years the need for tejas to serve as 4.5th gen medium multi role fighters will stretch over the next thirty years . Till the end of it's useful airframe life.
I mean having space for 2 seats from the start will have more possibilities as they will not be front line ACs anyway for IAF, we can even use that extra space(2nd seat) for some special EW role or extra fuel in later upgrades or any other upgrade which requires more space inside such as additional equipment to make them UAV etc..

Most of the ground attack roles will be done by long stand off distance PGMs , cruise missiles like brahmos and Nirbhay certainly not with fighters flying over ground targets dropping dumb bombs as in World war two in future as most of the pak china strategic targets will be heavily defended .

So in future there will be no need for tejas to carry second pilot as most of the ground attack will be with long range precision guided Munitions.

If IAf needs two pilot version, it can intimate HAl and get it done as there is already a two seater trainer version available.
PS: MIG21s have served us good, and so will the MIG29 for their price, if we don't overstretch their lifetime I believe.
So the case for tejas to serve IAF in it's intended role as medium range multi role combat air craft in high hundred numbers in mk-2 and stealth mk-3 version for most of it's useful airframe life is as urgent and important today than it ever it was.

What makes it more strategic is with in ten years all versions of tejas mk-1 or mk-2 will have local engine tech available for them, which makes them 100 percent indigenous and finally freeing India from the clutches of foreign arm exporter countries.

So we can pursue a more independent foreign policy like all great powers are doing now, securing our vital strategic and economic interests with no impediments .

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
RAFALE does not have a HMD to fire the deadly high off bore WVR missiles like R-73 and Python.

RAFALE getting HMD is conditional on India buying it for the MMRCA contract in it's F3 standard.

But tejas mk-1 has already demonstrated that capability to fire the deadly high off bore WVR missiles like R-73 and Python for IOC -I itself.

This is a very vital capability as long range BVRs can easily be jammed as MAWs and Ew suits are getting more sophisticated and they provide a high enough lead time to jam.

But the high off bore HMD enabled WVR missiles like Python and R-73 are more deadly and provide very little reaction time to jam as they are not cued by radar alone but also cued by pilot's HMD so they are mostly passive most of the time in WVR combat.

http://tarmak007.blogspot.in/2013/12/nal-technologies-for-tejas-to-set.html

"Fourteen variants of Tejas have completed over 2450 flights. The 17 Test pilots, who flew Tejas so far, have rated the flying qualities of the aircraft as excellent," Shyam said during his team's interaction with Express on Friday.

The scientists had also conducted complex air intake buzz studies to establish the safe flight envelope boundary limits for the aircraft engine. "This is important as the disturbed air flow entering the air intakes can cause the engine performance to deteriorate suddenly and thus affect the safety of flight," said Dr G K Suryanarayana, chief scientist.

So airintake starving the engine at high alpha may not be true at all, safe flight envelope boundary limits for aircraft engine was extensively tested in wind tunnel itself for buzz free air flow to the engine.
Another first for the country, according to Dr Jatinder Singh, a chief scientist, was the successful flight validation and update of the aerodynamic database used extensively for simulation and design of the flight control laws. "It involved carrying out 500 plus flight tests for identifying the differences in flight when compared to simulation," he said.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Proposed 5th gen fighter aircraft JV yet to get defence ministry seal | Millennium Post

Proposed 5th gen fighter aircraft JV yet to get defence ministry seal

10 December 2013, New Delhi, Pinaki Bhattacharya

The Indo-Russian proposed joint venture (JV) on the fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) seem not yet out of the woods, as defence minister AK Antony presented a list of four ongoing JVs in Parliament sans T-50.

The list did not include the T-50 or as Indian Air Force calls it FGFA JV that was to struck between Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and the Sukhoi Bureau, on the basis of a 50:50 investment sharing.

There have been reports lately that the Russian-built T-50, which was to be modified by HAL to bring in more stealth and supercruise etc, have run over time and budget. There were also reports that IAF could be reducing the size of the order, as one former top honcho said, 'The price of the contract will be phenomenally high, almost double of what we will have to pay for the Rafale.'

The senior IAF source confirmed that the FGFA JV can only take off after the Russian prototype is provided to HAL. The current date that is being talked about is 2019-2020.

In response to the question, Antony detailed the 'Present status of JV proposals between Indian Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs), Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia are: Multi-role Transport Aircraft Ltd (MTAL), Indo Russian Aviation Limited (IRAL), Joint Venture for SMERCH Ammunition, Joint Venture for SMERCH Ammunition and BrahMos Aerospace.

The MTAL JV was formed between the HAL- really a new Indian entity United Aircraft Corporation Transport Aircraft - and Rosoboronexport, Russia, with both handling 50 per cent share each. 'General contract and preliminary design phase contract have been signed in May 2012 and October 2012, respectively.'

Indo-Russian Aviation Ltd, a JV company was incorporated in September 1994 with participation of 'HAL (48%), ICICI Bank (5%) and Russian partners (RAC MIG, RYAZAN, AVIAZAPCHAST) (47%).'
The JV company is for maintenance of engines, accessories, aggregates and avionics, modernisation and re-equipping all the Russian origin aircrafts. The company provides its services globally.

'Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on joint venture to include Transfer of Technology (ToT) for co-production of SMERCH (Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher) ammunition has been signed between Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), JSC Rosoboronexport and SPLAV SPA Russia on 27 August 2012.

The BrahMos JV, one of the biggest success stories of the Indo-Russian strategic partnership was formed between DRDO India and NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) Russia under an inter- governmental agreement in February 1998 for joint design, development, production and marketing of supersonic cruise missiles for armed forces of both the countries, and export to mutually agreed third friendly countries. Two variants of the BrahMos missile has been jointly developed and is under serial production in India and Russia.
So it might be better for IAF to fully participate in AMCA and tejas mk-3 stealth projects as a hedge against having a total dependence on FGFA as the cost is estimated to be huge.

As a member posted here regarding giving a 300 plus order for FGFA , the cost may come to 100 billion if we include the total lifecycle upgrade cost for the full duration of it's service life, a crippling financial burden for IAF with total dependence on Sukhoi for every single upgradation need for the next three decades when a home grown AMCA and stealth tejas mk-3 can be had for a fraction of the cost .

Considering the budget ordering 300 plus FGFA jettisoning Stealth tejas mk-3 and AMCA will infact substantially reduce the capabilities of the IAF, because we can have four times as much stealth tejas mk-3s and AMCAs for the same cost.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Some facile propaganda is going on in some forums across the border like,

Since tejas has landing gear retracting side ways we can not fix stealth external weapon pods besides the air intake like Silent Eagle,

and

since gears are situated directly next to the centerline station there are length and weight restrictions we can not fix it on the centerline station!!!!!!,

But that centerline station already carries 1.25 ton external fuel tank. So why can not it carry 1.25 ton external weapon pod comprising three or four long range BVR missiles for the all critical air to air role? Strange logic as usual!!!!

But why people agree to overlook the huge under wing span that stretches for miles in tejas mk-2 between the two weapon stations other than the extreme outer wing weapon station?

On both sides of tejas we can fit a very large external stealth compliant weapon pod in the space between those 2 inner wing weapon stations which can support a weight of two tons on between them.

If they still have trouble understanding the problem they can look at the following concepts for silent RAFALE,

http://www.livefistdefence.com/2011/05/unofficial-stealth-rafale-fantasy.html

So we can fit two external stealth compliant each having a two ton weight capacity totalling 4 tons of stealth weapon load for tejas and still have the center line fuel station holding a ton of external fuel for longer range.

Every fighter maker chooses the appropriate place to fit the external stealth compliant weapon pod according to the fighter design.

Silent eagle chose space abutting air intake,

Super hornet chose space below the fuselage,

Why not tejas mk-2 can have it between the two inner wing weapon stations on both sides of the wing?

And the icing on the cake is usual blah blah like

LCA is simply designed to be very small and light and not to offer a lot of space in and around the airframe, that's why it's future potential for such RCS reductions is very limited, unlike with bigger medium or heavy class fighters. We even have difficulties to add more avionics and systems to the small airframe for the MK2, to make it 4.5th gen ready, so no matter what software we might have, it's no use when the platform don't offer the size and potential for such upgrades.
ADA/DRDO might aim on shaping the airframe a bit, but that only brings the clean RCS down and not the loaded / operational one, so no matter what they claim, that hardly will have an effect and has nothing to do with stealth at all.
Unless one is blind one can not miss the enormous underwing space around tejas fuselage. Saying there is no space small airframe is simply idiotic

For sprouting this BS people call themselves Think tanks and Analysts!!!!!!!

people never grow up!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

The hornet stealth weapon pod is located in the space between the front and back wheels,

Why can't the same be done on tejas mk-2?

Super hornet too has the same narrow space between both it's back wheel fairing doors just enough space to fit an external fuel tank. So why can't it be done on tejas mk-2 or mk-1?

So where are the gears in hornets located?

If IAF starts looking into this issue of external weapon pods early in the tejas mk-2 design sure it can specify whatever it want since tejas mk-2 design has just started,

Already there is a talk of naval tejas mk-2 is moving it's wheels to new fairings adjoining air inlets to free space for more fuel like grippen NG and sure it can be done on IAF tejas mk-2 as well.

So what is the fuss all about?

Last edited:

rvjpheonix

Country flag

The hornet stealth weapon pod is located in the space between the front and back wheels,

Why can't the same be done on tejas mk-2?

Super hornet too has the same narrow space between both it's back wheel fairing doors just enough space to fit an external fuel tank. So why can't it be done on tejas mk-2 or mk-1?

So where are the gears in hornets located?

If IAF starts looking into this issue of external weapon pods early in the tejas mk-2 design sure it can specify whatever it want since tejas mk-2 design has just started,

Already there is a talk of naval tejas mk-2 is moving it's wheels to new fairings adjoining air inlets to free space for more fuel like grippen NG and sure it can be done on IAF tejas mk-2 as well.

So what is the fuss all about?
About moving the landing gear being moved outside to increase fuel.Wont it increase the drag due to sudden increase in cross section? You yourself have said so that the gripen ng will have higher drag for the said reason.

Kyubi

Country flag
So the case for tejas to serve IAF in it's intended role as medium range multi role combat air craft in high hundred numbers in mk-2 and stealth mk-3 version for most of it's useful airframe life is as urgent and important today than it ever it was.

What makes it more strategic is with in ten years all versions of tejas mk-1 or mk-2 will have local engine tech available for them, which makes them 100 percent indigenous and finally freeing India from the clutches of foreign arm exporter countries.

So we can pursue a more independent foreign policy like all great powers are doing now, securing our vital strategic and economic interests with no impediments .
Regarding the Indigenous capability of tejas, i have certain queries that i would like to put forward, your saying within a span of 10 yrs the engine tech will be locally sourced, if so then what about LRU's , there is a report by the ADA which shows only 53% of LRU's are being locally made where as the remaining are imported. The report also says that steps are being taken to locally make the rest but my query is approximately how much more time will it take?

https://www.ada.gov.in/lru_second_page.html

secondly how much of the LRU's of MK1 will be utilised for MK2 or do we have to redesign them entirely ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
About moving the landing gear being moved outside to increase fuel.Wont it increase the drag due to sudden increase in cross section? You yourself have said so that the gripen ng will have higher drag for the said reason.
Ofcourse it will add to drag, but by shaping it smoothly with gradual cross section increase it can be managed. Also tejas mk-2 has twenty percent more powerful engine.

Another thing I forgot is , to place the external stealth weapon pod besides the air intake we don't have to move the landing gear at all.

If the external weapon pod is placed along side the air intake then the opening for the back wheels will be rectangular attached to the bottom of the fuselage like Super hornet.

because the external weapon pod covers the area on the sides of the fuselage besides the wing there is no need for sideways opening of the landing gear doors like tejas mk-1.

So like Silent Eagle concept external pods can be placed alongside the air intake sides if we don't go for internal fuel incease by shifting the back landing wheels.

In both tejas and silent eagle concept the back wheels fold inside the fuselge only , not at the sides of the fuselage.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Regarding the Indigenous capability of tejas, i have certain queries that i would like to put forward, your saying within a span of 10 yrs the engine tech will be locally sourced, if so then what about LRU's , there is a report by the ADA which shows only 53% of LRU's are being locally made where as the remaining are imported. The report also says that steps are being taken to locally make the rest but my query is approximately how much more time will it take?

https://www.ada.gov.in/lru_second_page.html

secondly how much of the LRU's of MK1 will be utilised for MK2 or do we have to redesign them entirely ?
Once mass production starts all LRus can be indigenized .

Now for Limited series production it may not be economical in investing money in producing 5 or six LRUs in a series production line.

That may be the reason they are being imported.

wild goose

IAF seeking to obtain initial operational clearance for Tejas: Browne

HYDERABAD: With the phasing out of MiG-21 Type 77 aircraft from its fleet, the Indian Air Force is now seeking to obtain initial operational clearance (IOC) for light combat aircraft 'Tejas', which is developed by HAL, Air chief marshal NAK Browne said on Saturday.

Simultaneously, the IAF is also getting ready to start the project for LCA Mark-2 aircraft, in collaboration with HAL and DRDO.

"Tejas will achieve the IOC soon. They will take one more year thereafter for induction. The 48 LCAs being produced by HAL will be coming to the IAF. There will be two squadrons for this," Browne said.

Talking to reporters on the sidelines of the Combined Graduation Parade at the Air Force Academy, Dundigal, near here, the IAF chief pointed out that the LCA Mark-2 would be the real LCA.

"The Mark-2 will have a more powerful engine, radar system, air-to-air refuelling capability and advanced weapons. By the time induction of LCA Mark-1 is over, test flights of Mark-2 will also begin. The IAF is very much involved with this project along with HAL and DRDO," Browne said.

After reviewing the combined graduation parade of 202 commissioned officers, the IAF chief noted that all cadets completed the basic course for Pilatus PC-7, the basic trainer aircraft inducted into IAF in May this year.

"For the first time we have finished the basic course for Pilatus PC-7 and 55 hours of flying training was given to all cadets. During the course, the first lady cadet got the first in flying on Pilatus, which is very creditable. The boys and girls are happy with the aircraft and the training," he said.

The IAF chief informed that from the next training course beginning in January, a simulator would also be available for PC-7.

IAF seeking to obtain initial operational clearance for Tejas: Browne - The Times of India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Firstly i was in touched with other forums where Vietnamese members are active at regular basis, There i came to know about such details ..

Later it was conformed when i met Vietnamese officers ( Equivalent to Lt Gen ) during annual fire drills in Indian Army ..

Do not know about the Vietnam angle as I thought that these where only rumours floating in the internet. Have not seen any articles from reputed news sites about this...

mehrotraprince

Country flag
NAL Technologies to Set Benchmarks for Future Projects

As India prepares to give the initial operational clearance (IOC-2) to its home grown fighter Tejas on December 20, the scientists at the National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) are delighted that over 20 years of their hard work will finally pay rich dividends. NAL Director Shyam Chetty said that the technologies developed for Tejas will set new benchmarks for India's future
fighter jet development programmes.

The control law team consisting of members from NAL, ADA and HAL which he heads, had provided decisive leadership in developing the flight control laws including the autopilot, simulation and modelling. The team also developed advanced parameter identification techniques used for flight validation and updation of the aerodynamic database for safe flight envelope expansion of the Tejas. "Fourteen variants of Tejas have completed over 2450 flights. The 17 Test pilots, who flew Tejas so far, have rated the flying qualities of the aircraft as excellent," Shyam said during his team's interaction with Express on Friday.

V Nagarajan, chief scientist and head of National Trisonic Aerodynamic Facility at NAL, which houses the country's only 1.2-m trisonic wind tunnel, said that stores separation tests (a critical operation that could affect the safety of the fighter during weapon release), was analysed at NAL's wind-tunnel facility. Necessary data was generated to enable safe store separation in flight. The scientists had also conducted complex air intake buzz studies to establish the safe flight envelope boundary limits for the aircraft engine. "This is important as the disturbed air flow entering the air intakes can cause the engine performance to deteriorate suddenly and thus affect the safety of flight," said Dr G K Suryanarayana, chief scientist.

Entering the wake (the highly circulatory vortex flow emanating from the lead aircraft) during close combat is an operational hazard fighters have to encounter. It can severally affect the performance of the flight control system and in extreme cases result in major structural damage. "To ensure that there is no hazard to Tejas on entering the wake, extensive modelling and simulation studies were carried out at the Flight Mechanics and Control Division, and the models were subsequently validated by flight tests. The aircraft under test was made to actually enter the wake emanating from the lead aircraft highlighted using smoke generators at different separation distances and relative orientations," said Dr Pashilkar, a scientist.

The use of composite materials made Tejas lighter and has resulted in more than 20 per cent savings in cost and about 15 per cent savings in weight said H N Sudheendra, head, Advanced Composite Division. "The challenge was to make the structures free from joints. The technology to manufacture 152 composite components has been transferred to HAL by NAL for the Tejas series production, while the remaining 13 critical components will continued to be made by NAL in partnership with the private sector," he said. Tejas airframe is 45 per cent composites (mostly carbon-epoxy) by weight, contributing to its reputation as the world's smallest light weight fighter aircraft.

Satish Chandra, head of Structural Technologies, said that all the wind tunnel models of Tejas were designed at NAL by a joint team. The transonic flutter of Tejas wing with the R-73 missile was cleared by conducting specialised wind tunnel tests which enabled Tejas to get initial flight clearance.

Another first for the country, according to Dr Jatinder Singh, a chief scientist, was the successful flight validation and update of the aerodynamic database used extensively for simulation and design of the flight control laws. "It involved carrying out 500 plus flight tests for identifying the differences in flight when compared to simulation," he said.
NAL Technologies to Set Benchmarks for Future Projects | idrw.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles