P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

SilentKiller

Country flag
Re: India gets first Poseidon-8 I jet to keep watch over Indian Ocean

none of indian tv media show this:shocked::shocked::shocked:
Because india media is busy in Breaking news :)frusty::frusty:), that too last for few days.
indian media runs for PR rating, there is no film star, cricketers here.
Media is interested in scam when national projects come, if they can't find any they create news and scams.

please watch this movie
Peepli Live - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

somewhat reality of media...
Any how on good note...great news for navy and india:bhangra:

SilentKiller

Country flag

Question: Doesn't the relatively slow speed of the aircraft make it more vulnerable?
Hi Friend!!.

Answer: being a Patrolling Aircraft, its air speed needs to be slow to detect and neutralize the targets.
moreover now days such planes have some sort of protection systems (classified i guess) and usually they don't fly alone.
during missions like in war situation these are critical assets similar to AWACS and are heavily guarded by fighters

p2prada

Question: Doesn't the relatively slow speed of the aircraft make it more vulnerable?
900 Kmph is fast.

But P-8 also has an air search radar, meaning it has two radars that give it 360 degree capability in detecting air, sea and underwater targets. The aircraft will be long gone before any threat approaches it.

P-8s can also be protected by at least 3 squadrons of MKI (2 squadrons located in Kalaikunda near Bangladesh, one in the state of Tamil Nadu). The Navy may base one squadron of Mig-29K and one squadron of LCA in the Tri-services air base in the A&N islands. This is on the eastern coast. On the western coast, 2 IAF squadrons of MKI (Pune) and two IN squadrons of LCA (Kadamba) will be available. Meaning the P-8s and any AEW&Cs that IN operates will be well protected from any adversary even against USN level navies.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Does anyone have any details on list of items that P-8A of the US navy will have but not P-8I of the Indian Navy.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Indian Ocean on Navy's new P-8I radar

The maiden P-8I aircraft which will help Indian Navy in long-range maritime survey and anti submarine warfare landed at INS Rajali, Arakkonam Naval Air station on Wednesday.

This is first of eight planes procured from the US-based aircraft manufacturer Boeing. It is expe-cted to replace Russian TU 142s, which had over done its service in the Indian Ocean. "The Indian Navy's aviation wing has received a big fillip with induction of this aircraft. We expect other seven planes to join our fleet in the next two years. We also hope that we will add four more P-8I aircraft to our regiment," said Vice Admiral Bimal Kumar Verma, Chief of Staff (Eastern Naval Command).

The Eastern command chief added that P-8Is would replace age-old TU 142s, which had served the Indian Navy for the last two decades. "As part of our Navy's modernisation efforts we will phase out TU 142s soon and replace them with P-8Is," he noted. "The aircraft is fully integrated with state-of-the-art sensors and has highly potent anti-surface and anti-submarine weapons including torpedo and missiles," he further added.

Listing its advantages, Vice-Admiral Verma said the aircraft could even be operated from civilian airports, as its ground equipment were common to other aircraft. "It can land and take off from commercial airports, which actually increases its potential to man the whole of Indian Ocean region," he added.

It may be noted that the Arakkonam airstrip was built to 4.1 km mainly to suit the TU 142s requirements. "The TU 142s can fly non-stop to Gulf and comeback without refueling, but it is very difficult to land it on smaller runways," said a senior navy officer. However, he added that the TU 142s have become obsolete since it belongs to olden type of warfare.

"There are lot of innovations in P-8I aircraft. The whole area from East Coast of Africa to the Malacca Strait can be kept under surveillance by a combination of P-8I planes coming in from the US," the Navy official said, adding that these aircraft would act as an extended eye of the Naval forces in the Indian Ocean.

Noting that P-8I has an endurance level of about 9 to 10 hours, the Navy official said that its radar can see over 100 miles and can communicate the data to the nearest forces to put up with the enemy present in that area.

The P-8I is actually the Indian naval variant of the P-8A Poseidon developed by Boeing for the US Navy. "India is the first foreign country to order this aircraft," said a Boeing official, who added that the plane designed for long-range maritime reconnaissance, also have the capabilities for mid-air fuelling.

When asked about this US aircraft's suitability to Indian conditions, the Boeing official, who was struggling to beat the Arakkonam heat, told this newspaper that the plane will apt any climatic conditions, as its airframe comes from the commercial aircraft 737-800, which is used across the globe.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
TU 142 are still gud for Surface detection, If not eastern they would be better at western fleet area..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Northrop Acoustic Nose Arrays for Indian Navy’s Raytheon MK-54 Torpedo | idrw.org

SOURCE: DEFENSE WORLD

The Indian Navy will procure acoustic nose arrays from Northrop Grumman for its recently acquired MK54 lightweight torpedoes.

In 2012, India through a Foreign Military Sale awarded Raytheon a contract to obtain lightweight air-launched Mk-54 torpedoes. However, details regarding the value and size of both contracts have been withheld.

The Mark 54 Lightweight Hybrid Torpedo (LHT) is a standard 12.75 inch (324 mm) antisubmarine warfare (ASW) torpedo developed to counter very high performance nuclear submarines.

The Indian Navy plans to deploy the missiles on its eight newly acquired Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft although the torpedoes are primarily meant for hunting submarines.

The Mk 54 was created by combining the homing and warhead portions of the Mk 50 and the propulsion unit of the Mk 46, improved for better performance in shallow water, and with the addition of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technology to further reduce costs.

In addition to the Indian Navy contract, Northrop Grumman also secured orders from the U.S and Australian Navies.

"The $45.9 million firm-fixed-price, cost-plus contract includes options that, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of the contract to $294.3 million. The initial scope is for 428 nose arrays with a potential for as many as 3,000 over the life of the contract", the company said in an official statement.

ramakrishna

P-8 is a New-Era in maritime patrol ,

P-8 will carry anti-ship missiles, depth charges and torpedoes as well as more than 100 deployable sonobuoys for submarine detection. This, along with the on-board systems, will 'close the kill chain' and provide crucial data to everyone on the network.

Don't have the List of Comparisons between Indian and US P-8, found Individual Data on these two Air crafts hope you will your answer here

P-8I Multimission Maritime Patrol Aircraft, India

P-8A Poseidon Maritime Surveillance Aircraft, United States of America

Trying to prepare the Comparison table .please send if you have already found or done, Eager to see the difference

Does anyone have any details on list of items that P-8A of the US navy will have but not P-8I of the Indian Navy.

Immanuel

Country flag
AKAIK it is already in India, the first one landed alrzeady a while ago. I think we should eventually have a fleet of 36 of these

Bheeshma

I doubt IN would go for more than 16 of these. 24 MRMP's from Europe or Collaboration with Indian companies would enhance the numbers and decrease the risk of dependence on a single vendor.

rugved

Does anyone know as to why the IN discontinued to use the Il-38 and instead selected the P-8I as its ASW aircraft fleet?

Dinesh_Kumar

I dunno......i heard they upgraded IL-38 with new Sea Dragon EW Suite and other stuff, flying regularly......saw video on BR on IL-38 Walkaround........even had a new coat of paint (NATO grey?)
Does anyone know as to why the IN discontinued to use the Il-38 ....................

Immanuel

Country flag
I doubt IN would go for more than 16 of these. 24 MRMP's from Europe or Collaboration with Indian companies would enhance the numbers and decrease the risk of dependence on a single vendor.
With 12 on order and options for possibly 12 more, there is no reason why we shouldn't go for a total of 36. No collab with Europe would yield an aircraft with similar capability and would only add to logistic woes. Besides 36 is IMO the ideal number of aircraft required to maintain a tight secure net around India and ensure proper coverage over Indian ocean and areas around China. Moreover, P-8I has no equal in terms of avionics anywhere in the world.

I would love to eventually see the Mini Brahmos deployed on the P-8I fleet.

Bheeshma

Brahmos will never be deployed with any american aircraft. That makes MRMP all the more feasible.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles