NRIs moving from the US to India: How much salary to expect

santosh10

People who left their mother when they see some flashy future don't deserve our country.
It is not Midiji that they see in india.
It is AI that is scaring them off that Heavy Industry Country.
@Bangalorean

look, i strongly believe in open market strategy. that is, if you may secure a position in a Western MNC on the basis of work experience/ foreign qualification from a Western nation itself, then you would try for whatever opportunity you have, better work experience/ salary etc. and the same is very true for the western firms doing business here, when they invest money here and pay tax on their profit, they are very much honest with their any profit they make from here......

and if an Indian professional/NRI wants to back to India as he/she may secure a better position here, on the basis of his/her foreign qualification/foreign work experience, thats what the very fair business. in the same way if a western firm withdraw its investment and go to other country for better opportunities, fair.....

also, now there is a limited difference between foreign work experience, as compare to work for the same firm while based in India, as compare to how it was in 90s. also there is not much difference between the infrastructure of western countries/facilities available there, as compare to an emerging market like India where you will only find improvements in future.....

i been to Australia in 2002-03 when i used to be in line in bank in India to withdraw money, no ATM in Lucknow that time. we used to laugh in our classes of university of technology sydney, "can we drive an automatic car in India?" as there were very few free ways/expressways in India. i used to go to top of my flat to get connection for mobile those times in India while now we find all the new products available in Indian market, almost at the same time as in western countries. growing super markets in India etc etc. while we do see things changing in India, and predicted to improve in future. and the same changes we find in other markets like China, ASEAN region, South America etc where we see reverse trend of immigration at present.
while if i compare Sydney with how it was in 2002, i don't find much difference, even if difference is still high when I compare it with Delhi even right now, its also true :ranger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@santosh10

What ultimately matters for a living man / woman is not only growth opportunities but also a sense of achievement with which Growth is closely related. Growth opportunities provide a man/ women to grow which inter alia fulfils needs achievement. Simple sanitation theory.

But what I have seen and felt is that what you can do in India with 20, 000 Rs salary per month, the same can not be done with $ 10000 salary outside. One day will come when labour would be expensive in India and I feel it should be so. One day will come when food would be expensive in India and to my mind it should be so.

However in spite of those factors, you are not a migrant, you are not a brown and a black, you are not outsider, you are not an outcaste, you have a society and a social circle of relations, friends and known people. You have social security and emotional / psychological security. You have a sense of belongingness.

What sense of achievement you have when you make "Airtel" a pan Indian brand or make HP as number one selling brand in hardware .. nothing whatsoever.

But when one makes "Nag Missile" or "cleaning a village" as a brand to reckon with, one is absolved of his debt to his father, his mother and his motherland.

With even a comparatively lower remunerations the quality of life is assured.

That is what one aspires for.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
@santosh10

What ultimately matters for a living man / woman is not only growth opportunities but also a sense of achievement with which Growth is closely related. Growth opportunities provide a man/ women to grow which inter alia fulfils needs achievement. Simple sanitation theory.

But what I have seen and felt is that what you can do in India with 20, 000 Rs salary per month, the same can not be done with $ 10000 salary outside. One day will come when labour would be expensive in India and I feel it should be so. One day will come when food would be expensive in India and to my mind it should be so.

However in spite of those factors, you are not a migrant, you are not a brown and a black, you are not outsider, you are not an outcaste, you have a society and a social circle of relations, friends and known people. You have social security and emotional / psychological security. You have a sense of belongingness.

What sense of achievement you have when you make "Airtel" a pan Indian brand or make HP as number one selling brand in hardware .. nothing whatsoever.

But when one makes "Nag Missile" or "cleaning a village" as a brand to reckon with, one is absolved of his debt to his father, his mother and his motherland.

With even a comparatively lower remunerations the quality of life is assured.

That is what one aspires for.
Agree with almost everything you said - but I think the point about "making Airtel a pan-Indian brand" is also a great achievement, and gives one a great sense of satisfaction.

Indian companies and Indian businesses give employment to humungous number of Indians, and fuel even greater consumption and growth. Indian business help India and Indians to a great extent. Airtel is expanding into Africa and other markets today. What a sense of achievement it might give to an entrepreneur who builds a brand to reckon with, to compete with the MNCs in India and abroad!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@all

There was a time I also enjoyed Dollare $ the Yankee dollars ..

But with those dollars it was not easy to buy my vegetables .. I being a vegetarian..

There was a Time I used to slaughter 20 goats a day and supply those to may Nepalese, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and many other European friends just to be benevolent and nice.

I had four aircrafts under my command and those used to supply that slaughtered stuff to my friends at the cost of someone else.

And I became a virtual butcher .. Jhataka all will have including Pakistanis and other Muslims ..

And there was a day when I bid good buy to all that and started eating grass..

And I am happier since then.. at least in my mind..

What is the moral story ... ??

Be there where you feel happy .. and your happiness depends primarily on you besides many other things..

India can survive without you NRIs .. India will do well without you.. but still we want you .. because you are part of us.

However, every big signature in India is a government school product including Raman or Kalam , Modi, etc ect..

But if you think that you must return back then simply return back without an incentive of growth, power or influence.. if you are cabale you may get every thing.

You will be happier.. never the less. Our scientist who achieved something did it under Indian conditions .. rather than world class condition . proving it was possible. You prove that !

Do not come back and ask American facilities in India ...

if you are cool at slavery.. be there only..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Agree with almost everything you said - but I think the point about "making Airtel a pan-Indian brand" is also a great achievement, and gives one a great sense of satisfaction.

Indian companies and Indian businesses give employment to humungous number of Indians, and fuel even greater consumption and growth. Indian business help India and Indians to a great extent. Airtel is expanding into Africa and other markets today. What a sense of achievement it might give to an entrepreneur who builds a brand to reckon with, to compete with the MNCs in India and abroad!
Sorry ... pardon my inebriated condition or otherise forgetfulness or excitement.. or impulsiveness ...

For Airtell (which has all Singapore money) read Vodaphone ...

Eko gal hai..

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I was in India on 1st November for one day, had to returned back withing 22 hours, to look after my baby. I stayed in a hotel near IGI with family members living in India. Family came by train to receive me and told me few stories of their frustration because of few loud morons travelling in train (forgot the name Rajadhani or Shatabadi).

1. Roads and traffic: Area just outside IGI was smelling like a sewer, and traffic was running like there is a doomsday tomorrow. Air was polluted and choaking, dust was all over on walls and plants, broken kerb sides and crossing under flyovers was filthy. Saw no painted marking (actually not required when we are not going to follow lane driving) so everyone was every where.

2. Cost of living: Hotel was average, I paid 32000 rupees for two nights, two deluxe rooms, including breakfast and dinner for four people. Food in mall was cheap and tasty. Cost of branded clothes and shoes was almost same. A good sports shoes started from 10K rupees. There was no parents room in the mall. Shopkeepers and staff was humble and attentive.

3. Public transport: Nothing.

Only autos (three wheeler) and Taxies. To travel 4 KM hotel car was asking for 700 rupees, Auto was asking 250, Meeru car was booked over the phone but never arrived. On returning back from Mall again same story. A guy saw us walking with a child (my one year old nephew), waved to a taxi and told me to pay him 250 rupees for 3 KM to hotel. I had no choice. Dropping back in front of Hotel lobby the Taxi driver asked for more money. He was simply told to piss off in Punjabi. I mean, from the auto we took and returning back to hotel everyone was trying to scam us.

4. Airport: I needed wheel chair access for my mother. The Airport guy asked for a tip both on arrival and departure. He told me, he hasn't got the Diwali bonus this year because of privatization done. No one asked for the tip ever in AKL, HKG, KUL SIN, SYD.

I had to buy some medicines from duty free chemist inside IGI. The wheel Chair guy jumped before me into to shop and negotiated his commission with the shopkeeper first. Same story when I bought a book {(Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire) will review if got the time}.

At border, welcomed by a rude Haryanavi dick head officer, with no face expressions and indifferent. Asked me rudely when was the last time I entered in India before this. I wasn't able to understand the question first time. And he was like "Hindi Samajh main aati hai ?''. I told him that I can't remember the date. It made him more rude because now he has to go through all the pages to see the previous entry stamp.

Before leaving India my sister told me to make sure if there are any rules of not leaving the port in less than 24 hours. I gave a call to IGI customer care and all the phone numbers available from NZ to get the answer. But no one picked up the phone. I gave multiple calls to Indian mission in wellington but they never responded. I wrote a <500 word letter (complaint) to MEA (Susma Swaraj's office) about both of these situations but even her office has not responded back after 4 weeks.

So, I was a the the border and I asked the same query to that rude officer, so that I can plan my returning tickets accordingly. But he didn't want to answer, but officer sitting besides him told me ''Tu abhi ke abhi wapis chala ja, humey kya". You can return back right now, what to us.

Long Story short. If India can not maintain area around IGI airport and inside airport (Which is nothing as compare to Hong Kong airport ) then I doubt myself returning back to live or even invest my money (thought of buying a house) any soon.

Last edited:

santosh10

I was in India on 1st November for one day, had to returned back withing 22 hours, to look after my baby. I stayed in a hotel near IGI with family members living in India. Family came by train to receive me and told me few stories of their frustration because of few loud morons travelling in train (forgot the name Rajadhani or Shatabadi).

1. Roads and traffic: Area just outside IGI was smelling like a sewer, and traffic was running like there is a doomsday tomorrow. Air was polluted and choaking, dust was all over on walls and plants, broken kerb sides and crossing under flyovers was filthy. Saw no painted marking (actually not required when we are not going to follow lane driving) so everyone was every where.

2. Cost of living: Hotel was average, I paid 32000 rupees for two nights, two deluxe rooms, including breakfast and dinner for four people. Food in mall was cheap and tasty. Cost of branded clothes and shoes was almost same. A good sports shoes started from 10K rupees. There was no parents room in the mall. Shopkeepers and staff was humble and attentive.

Only autos (three wheeler) and Taxies. To travel 4 KM hotel car was asking for 700 rupees, Auto was asking 250, Meeru car was booked over the phone but never arrived. On returning back from Mall again same story. A guy saw us walking with a child (my one year old nephew), waved to a taxi and told me to pay him 250 rupees for 3 KM to hotel. I had no choice. Dropping back in front of Hotel lobby the Taxi driver asked for more money. He was simply told to piss off in Punjabi. I mean, from the auto we took and returning back to hotel everyone was trying to scam us.

4. Airport: I needed wheel chair access for my mother. The Airport guy asked for a tip both on arrival and departure. He told me, he hasn't got the Diwali bonus this year because of privatization done. No one asked for the tip ever in AKL, HKG, KUL SIN, SYD.

I had to buy some medicines from duty free chemist inside IGI. The wheel Chair guy jumped before me into to shop and negotiated his commission with the shopkeeper first. Same story when I bought a book {(Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire) will review if got the time}.

At border, welcomed by a rude Haryanavi dick head officer, with no face expressions and indifferent. Asked me rudely when was the last time I entered in India before this. I wasn't able to understand the question first time. And he was like "Hindi Samajh main aati hai ?''. I told him that I can't remember the date. It made him more rude because now he has to go through all the pages to see the previous entry stamp.

Before leaving India my sister told me to make sure if there are any rules of not leaving the port in less than 24 hours. I gave a call to IGI customer care and all the phone numbers available from NZ to get the answer. But no one picked up the phone. I gave multiple calls to Indian mission in wellington but they never responded. I wrote a <500 word letter (complaint) to MEA (Susma Swaraj's office) about both of these situations but even her office has not responded back after 4 weeks.

So, I was a the the border and I asked the same query to that rude officer, so that I can plan my returning tickets accordingly. But he didn't want to answer, but officer sitting besides him told me ''Tu abhi ke abhi wapis chala ja, humey kya". You can return back right now, what to us.

Long Story short. If India can not maintain area around IGI airport and inside airport (Which is nothing as compare to Hong Kong airport ) then I doubt myself returning back to live or even invest my money (thought of buying a house) any soon.
@Bhadra @thakur_ritesh

the much you are demanding here, you can't expect in any of the ASEAN region itself, except Singapore. if you look on these things then simply you or your family members can't back. you would even find hard to digest water too, like how i have to take immune tablets here to digest water......

but if you find a job with 35lacs+ salary, few of my friends have backed, then you do see that its a better salary than $60K+ in US/EU for a simple engineering job, in purchasing power terms. and then you find, if you dont get more than 100k after 6-7 years of work experience too, then you do find a 35lacs+ job in Bangalore type city more attractive if you may get some better work experience, for a better position here, as many of MNCs have branches here too.
there are many in this category i know, having western passport while working in India :ranger:

(even $60k means for hardly around 25 to 30 lacs after paying tax in US/Australia in exchange rates terms, while the minimum 20lacs+ you may secure in Bangalore, if you have a good western professional qualification and at least 3 years of work experience from there.)

santosh10

@Ray

once i made a clear statement about NRIs, calling them as "Non-Reliable Indians". you simply can't call those NRIs, 'Indians", who in fact hate his country..... they are similar to the European immigrants living in US, and now proud Americans

this type of talks were more usual during 2002-04 while my talks with seniors. they simply can't back to India type developing countries, sharing a similar experience like how you said, and i was agreed too. but time changed to an extent, even if the difference is still there. my half of the friends are placed on $200K+ salaries but its getting tougher for the new entrants. its no more a brain drain type things for engineers-doctors-CAs, too many people applying for migration, point tests too are changing.......

i do remember, i came to India after 4-5 years in 2009, and once i saw villages outside Satabdi express from Delhi to Lucknow, smell on the Lucknow railway station etc, the difference is clearly understood. i came here in 2005 also after finishing studies but it was a different time, as compare to live as a resident in Australia and come after 4-5 years......

but now a type of industrial shift have occurred to date, and a better position than what you hold in US, in the city like Bangalore, does make you think to move. as once you think for a higher position in the type of firm you are employed, and if a similar firm place you in India, then you simply can't ignore it. things aren't as bad like how we used to discuss the same a long time before.....

my post#21 does state about the changes we may see during last 10-12 years, as below. how much you agreed with me? :ranger:

@Bangalorean

i been to Australia in 2002-03 when i used to be in line in bank in India to withdraw money, no ATM in Lucknow that time. we used to laugh in our classes of university of technology sydney, "can we drive an automatic car in India?" as there were very few free ways/expressways in India. i used to go to top of my flat to get connection for mobile those times in India while now we find all the new products available in Indian market, almost at the same time as in western countries. growing super markets in India etc etc. while we do see things changing in India, and predicted to improve in future. and the same changes we find in other markets like China, ASEAN region, South America etc where we see reverse trend of immigration at present.
while if i compare Sydney with how it was in 2002, i don't find much difference, even if difference is still high when I compare it with Delhi even right now, its also true.

santosh10

Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from reverse brain drain

Samir Kapadia seemed to be on the rise in Washington, moving from an internship on Capitol Hill to jobs at a major foundation and a consulting firm. Yet his days, he felt, had become routine.

By contrast, friends and relatives in India, his native country, all in their early-to-mid-20s, were telling him about their lives in that newly surging nation. One was creating an e-commerce business, another a public relations company, still others a magazine, a business incubator and a gossip and events Web site.

"I'd sit there on Facebook and on the phone and hear about them starting all these companies and doing all these dynamic things," recalled Kapadia, 25, who was born in India but grew up in the United States. "And I started feeling that my 9-to-5 wasn't good enough anymore."

Last year, he quit his job and moved to Mumbai.

In growing numbers, highly educated children of immigrants to the US are uprooting themselves and moving to their ancestral countries, experts say. They are embracing homelands that their parents once spurned but that are now economic powers.

Some, like Kapadia, had arrived in the US as young children, becoming citizens, while others were born in the US to immigrant parents.

Enterprising Americans have always sought opportunities abroad. But this new wave underscores the evolving nature of global migration, which is presenting challenges to US supremacy and competitiveness.

In interviews, many of these Americans said they did not know how long they would live abroad; some said it was possible they would remain expatriates for many years, if not for the rest of their lives. Their decisions to leave have, in many cases, troubled their immigrant parents. Yet most said they had been pushed by the dismal hiring climate in the US or pulled by prospects abroad.

"Markets are opening, people are coming up with ideas every day, there's so much opportunity to mold and create," said Kapadia, now a researcher at Gateway House, a new foreign-policy research organisation in Mumbai. "People here are running much faster than those in Washington."

For generations, the world's less-developed countries have suffered brain drain - the flight of many of their best and brightest to the West. That, of course, has not stopped. But now, a reverse flow has begun, particularly to countries like China and India and, to a lesser extent, Brazil and Russia. Some scholars and business leaders contend that this emigration does not necessarily bode ill for the US.

They say young entrepreneurs and highly educated professionals sow American knowledge and skills abroad. At the same time, these workers acquire experience abroad and build networks that they can carry back to the US or elsewhere - a pattern known as "brain circulation."

But the experts caution that in the global race for talent, the return of these expatriates to the US and US companies is no longer a sure bet.
:ranger:

"These are the fleet-footed, they're the ones who in a sense will follow opportunity," said Demetrios G Papademetriou, president of the Migration Policy Institute, a non-profit group in Washington that studies population movements.

"I know there will be people who will argue all about loyalty, etc, etc," Papademetriou said. "I know when you go to war, loyalty matters. But this is a different kind of war that affects all of us."

The US government does not collect data on the emigration of US-born children of immigrants, or on those who were born abroad but moved to the country as young children. But several migration experts said the phenomenon was significant and increasing.

"We've gone way beyond anecdotal evidence," said Edward JW Park, director of the Asian Pacific American Studies Program at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He pointed out that this migration was spurred by the efforts of some overseas governments to attract more foreign talent by offering employment, investment, tax and visa incentives.

"So it's not just the individuals who are making these decisions," he said. "It's governments who enact strategic policies to facilitate this."

Officials in India said they had seen a sharp increase in the arrival of people of Indian descent in recent years, including at least 100,000 in 2010 alone, said Alwyn Didar Singh, a former senior official at the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Many of these Americans have been able to leverage family networks, language skills and cultural knowledge gleaned from growing up in immigrant households.

Jonathan Assayag, 29, a Brazilian-American born in Rio de Janeiro and raised in South Florida, returned to Brazil last year. A Harvard Business School graduate, he had been working at an Internet company in Silicon Valley and unsuccessfully trying to develop a business.

"I spent five months spending my weekends at Starbucks, trying to figure out a startup in America," he recalled.

All the while, friends from Harvard urged him to make a change. "They were saying: 'Jon, what are you doing? Go to Brazil and start a business there!"' he said.

Last year, he relocated to Sao Paulo and became an "entrepreneur in residence" at a leading Brazilian venture capital firm. He is now starting an online eyewear business.

"I speak the language, I get the culture, I understand how people do business," he said.

Calvin Chin was a Chinese-American entrepreneur born in Michigan and used to live in San Francisco, where he worked at technology startups and his wife was an interior decorator.

Chin's mother was from China, as were his paternal grandparents. His wife's parents were from Taiwan. They are now in Shanghai, where Chin has started two companies - an online loan service for students and an incubator for technology startups. His wife, Angie Wu, has worked as a columnist and television anchor, and they have two young children.

"The energy here is phenomenal," Chin said.

Reetu Jain, 36, an Indian-American raised in Texas, was inspired to move to India while taking time off from her auditing job to travel abroad. Everywhere she went, she said, she met people returning to their countries of origin and feeling the "creative energy" in the developing world.

She and her husband, Nehal Sanghavi, an Indian-American lawyer, moved to Mumbai in January 2011. But instead of continuing in accounting, she switched professions. Embracing a long-held passion, she now works as a dance instructor and choreographer and has acted in television advertisements and a Bollywood film.

For many of these emigres, the decision to relocate has confounded - and even angered - their immigrant parents. When Jason Lee, who was born in Taiwan and raised in the US, told his parents during college that he wanted to visit Hong Kong, his father refused to pay for the plane ticket.

santosh10

Those who still convert "Dalllarrrs" to rupees and ogle at the converted salaries, are fools. Our media morons keep bringing out articles like "IIM grad lands 1.2 crore package". The morons mention later in the article, that the job is based out of San Francisco or Seattle!

In general, divide the final salary by 4 to get the real picture, which will take Purchasing Power Parity into account. A package of "1.2 crore" actually comes to Rs. 30 lakh per annum, if you take purchasing power parity into account. Of course, that isn't too bad either. But the point is, this idiocy of direct currency conversion needs to stop.

hmmm, i would say, $110,000k package would mean as much as 25lacs in Indian, even in metros like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore :ranger:

santosh10

People who left their mother when they see some flashy future don't deserve our country.
It is not Midiji that they see in india.
It is AI that is scaring them off that Heavy Industry Country.

hmmm, Indians means for only those who are agreed to live here, and its true

Indians would mean for only those who are part of every good and bad of India, while being among the people based here, pay tax to the Indian government.

as its true that those NRIs cant be said to be Indians, who in fact hate this country. they simply cant live here as they have nothing much left in a developing country like India :ranger:

i find NRIs living in US, similar to those of European migrants who, and their coming generation, are now proud Americans :thumb:

Last edited:

santosh10

Bangalore hires more NRIs than other cities: Study

BANGALORE: Among Indian cities, Bangalore hires the highest proportion of NRI professionals.

In the January-March 2012 quarter, NRI professionals were 29% of the total number of lateral hires (people with more than three years of experience ) in Bangalore. In Delhi /NCR, this was 27%, in Mumbai 26%, in Hyderabad 18% and in Chennai and Kolkata 16% each, says a study by MyHiringClub, a global recruitment tendering platform. "Overall hiring activity was not good in the final quarter of the last financial year, but the quantum of NRI hiring has gone up. IT, pharma and healthcare companies prefer to hire candidates with international exposure,'' says Rajesh Kumar, CEO of MyHiringClub. Many of these are companies that are expanding globally and therefore need to understand global practices and market specificities , which NRIs do.

The study finds that NRI professionals accounted for 21% of total lateral hiring in India during the quarter, a 5 percentage point increase over the previous quarter's 16%. The IT &ITES sector has seen the maximum number of NRI hiring at 23%. Pharma and healthcare accounted for 21%, FMCG 18% and infrastructure 11%. Bangalore has long been the preferred choice for NRIs. Third party hirers say 7 out of 10 candidates who want to relocate to India ask for vacancies in Bangalore. "If candidates do not have specific compulsions, based on factors like ageing parents, spouse located elsewhere, bought a home in a different city, children' s school admissions etc, most of them prefer Bangalore,'' says B S Murthy, CEO of executive search firm LeadershipCapital .

Ajay Dutt, business head at Aim Plus Staffing, says Bangalore is the top priority destination for a majority of returning professionals. "The job opportunities are the highest here. Also, 60% of NRIs who are looking to return are techies and being in Bangalore gives them an edge,'' he says. Kris Lakshmikanth, CEO of HeadHunters, say that in most cases, the NRI preference is for city close to their hometown and for Bangalore.

"Bangalore often becomes the only choice for candidates who have their origins in Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar, Lucknow etc. It's got great weather, it's neutral, relatively more safe to live and work and it's cosmopolitan,'' he says. India Inc is expected to hire around 35,000 "home-coming'' Indians during fiscal 2013. Some 946 employers from 11 industry segments across six cities participated in the MyHiring Club study.

//timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Bangalore-hires-more-NRIs-than-other-cities-Study/articleshow/12617608.cms

santosh10

Global crisis forces reverse migration by up to 30 pc: Experts

MUMBAI: With concerns over the global economic situation and reports on growing unemployment, there is a rise in reverse brain drain by up to 30 per cent, according to experts.

"The reverse drain has been seen across the industries and various geographies across the globe, including the US, Canada, Australia and Europe. The number of people wanting to come back to India has gone up by 25-30 per cent as compared to pre-economic crisis," International Management Institute (IMI) Professor Satish K Kalra told PTI.

The main reason that Indians working overseas are planning to relocate is because India Inc have started paying better and working in the country continues to offer global exposure and they feel their skills have higher value on return and better career prospects, he said.

The country's sustained growth even during uncertain times coupled with world class higher education system, like IITs and IIMs, and higher sense of belonging that makes them emotionally bound to their careers and society add further to this decision, he said.

"It could bring in acceleration of learning in some of the niche fields like biotech, automobile, construction, oil and gas," Kalra added.

The returning Indians would have got exposed to better technologies in these fields and it would be easier for India Inc to embrace this and the local workforce would gain from this new experience, he said.

"We could also see a more disciplined workforce as returning Indians would cultivate a respect around time boundaries and ability to work without follow ups," he said.

He added that many large global consulting firms have also opened their research centres in India and most of them have dedicated industry practices such as oil and gas, alternate energy and construction, etc.

"The availability of professionals having spent time in these domains is a beneficial situation for KPOs and one of the reasons for their increasing numbers," he said.

Indian KPOs account for almost 70 per cent of global volumes, and the global KPO market is expected to grow to USD 17 billion by 2013-14, according to industry experts.

VistaMind CEO Arks Srinivas said Indian market due to its global as well as domestic factors has created a need for skilled and experienced labour and hence the generation of more and more jobs.

"The Indian market is customer centric and with an increase in the purchase power of the consumer, employment generation is at an all time high," he said.

There are sectors in the Indian economy, which are still growing or at least not seeing a downturn, education and health are two such sectors that will remain productive for more time to come, he said.

"While the financial industry is in doldrums, the ability to get jobs in marketing and sales of any sector will still be possible and re-skilling would be the way to go," Srinivas said.

ApnaCircle.com Founder and CEO Yogesh Bansal said it is very typical of every Indian to want to work in the West, however, lately these countries have been struggling to provide employment to their own people.

"As mentioned the suffering sectors are mostly IT, banking and marketing professionals," he added.

However, countries like Africa land Southeast Asia, which are expanding their businesses and starting new industries, are increasingly open to hiring globally skilled talent for mid-level to senior jobs, Srinivas said.

Professionals from India are uniquely suited for these jobs because they have the experience of working in an emerging market, he added.

//articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-08-05/news/33049094_1_indian-market-indian-kpos-indian-economy

santosh10

NRI grooms no longer in demand

The charm of the NRI groom is fading in the marriage market as overseas economies continue to be unstable.

Indian brides, it seems, are paying attention to what the song, "Pardesiyon Se Naa Ankhiyaan Milana", preaches. Girls from NRI families too, are humming "Yeh Mera India". It's India shining for both when it comes to seeking life partners, as Indian and NRI girls want matches in India. Now, while 50% of Indians as well as NRIs discreetly mention in their wedding profiles on matchmaking portals that they are not interested in an NRI match, the remaining 50% don't put 'NRI' as even one of the options in the preferences.

Gourav Rakshit from a wedding portal says, "During recession in 2008 and 2009, 60% of the people registering on our portal mentioned 'no NRI grooms'. In 2011, after America was stripped of its AAA rating and many NRIs returned home looking for jobs, this year too, 50% have mentioned they don't want NRI grooms." Rakshit adds that things have gotten worse as even NRI girls are now looking for India-based grooms. "Many NRI families seeking a match for their daughters too have mentioned they don't want an NRI groom," he says.

Faced with declining salaries and job cuts, an increasing number of NRIs is moving to India. The Doshi family in New Jersey is one such. Their daughter, Hetal, who is married to an IT professional, recently shifted to India after her husband lost his job. Her parents have now decided to look for an Indian groom for their younger daughter, Shikha. Her father, Jigen Doshi, told us, "Many NRIs are shifting to India. Western economies are unstable."

Murugavel Janakiraman, founder and CEO of another wedding portal, says, "With the Indian economy booming, Indian grooms are looking as attractive as the NRI ones. Indian brides are realising that professionals in India are as smart, qualified and well-paid as their NRI counterparts."

Says Anushree Pal, who is looking for a groom for her 26-year-old daughter, "After 9/11 and other terror attacks around the world, there have been so many reports where Indians have not been treated well. I don't want that to be the case with my daughter. Also, we have everything here now - from top brands to supermarkets. My daughter will have it all, so why go for an NRI?"

For research analyst Preeti Vats*, 26, India is where the heart is. "Given the recession that's hit the foreign market, my parents haven't looked for a match outside India. India is progressing at an amazing rate - we have everything here, including our families." Says Suggandha Mehrotra, 26, 'I would rather marry a desi because they are a safer bet. There are fewer chances of them being handed the pink slip."

//timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/man-woman/NRI-grooms-no-longer-in-demand/articleshow/10726123.cms?referral=PM

Last edited:

santosh10

NRIs becoming 'Not- Required Indians' in India

Fewer jobs available back home as more people now looking to return

Hopeful non-resident Indians (NRIs) looking to return back home may find it difficult gaining a foothold in the country as there are few takers for professionals who until now were not a part of India's growth story.

According to a new study conducted by MyHiringClub.com & NriJobPortal.com, there are fewer jobs available for people residing out of India. Non-resident Indian (NRI) professionals hiring activity has declined by 11 per cent from the first quarter of 2011.

Last quarter, NRI professionals made up only 13 per cent of the total employees hired by India Inc, portraying a dismal picture for Indians living overseas.

The findings of the portal suggest an increasing number of NRIs are actively looking for a job in India. "The recent decline in jobs offered to NRIs coincided with an increasing number of 'desperate' NRIs wishing to return to their home bases. At least 25 to 30 per cent NRI professionals are desperately looking to come back to their homeland and they are continuously trying and approaching Indian employers and consultants," said the study.

IT registered a dip of 3 per cent y-o-y or 6 per cent q-o-q but still saw the maximum number of NRIs join the sector. Of the total NRIs hired over the period, 17 per cent were absorbed by IT companies.

This was followed by pharma & healthcare at 13 per cent, which saw a decline of 8 per cent y-o-y and 8 per cent q-o-q. FMCG hired 12 per cent after witnessing a decline of 4 per cent y-o-y or 6 per cent q-o-q. Automobile & manufacturing stood at 11 per cent; a decline of 3 per cent y-o-y or 4 per cent q-o-q. Banking & financial services was at 9 per cent; a drop of 1 per cent y-o-y but did not see any change q-o-q. Telecom, with all the problems the industry is facing in the country, hired 7 per cent of the total NRIs that were employed in the country. This was a decline of 11 per cent y-o-y or 6 per cent q-o-q. Infrastructure was at 5 per cent; a decline of 1 per cent y-o-y or 6 per cent q-o-q.

Within India, Bangalore seems to be the most welcoming to NRIs as it hired 18 per cent of total NRIs employed in Q2, FY'12, followed by Hyderabad (16 per cent), Mumbai (16 per cent), Delhi / NCR (15 per cent), Chennai (13 per cent) and Kolkata (8 per cent).

Cost Control activity in India Inc and overall low hiring activity were cited as the main reasons behind the lesser number of NRI professionals being employed in the country.

emirates247.com/news/emirates/nris-becoming-not-required-indians-in-india-2012-10-21-1.479564

Last edited:

santosh10

NRIs moving from the US to India: How much salary to expect

That story probably made news only because of its star power. The fact that NRIs from the US are moving back to India is no shocking development. NRIs have, in the last few years, been relocating to India in large numbers, in search of better personal and professional lives. And if you are an NRI considering that move, there is one important thing that you must understand very well: the salary you will get in India.:ranger:

Kris Lakshmikanth, Founder CEO of The Head Hunters India Pvt Ltd. says, "When it comes to compensation, we find that NRIs have inflated expectations. They mainly go by hearsay; their friend or friend's friend who returned to India has told them a tall story about Indian salaries. They want to go by that yard stick."

USD will not convert to INR

The first thing to remember is that you will not make the rupee equivalent of your US salary in India. The cost of living in India is significantly lower than that in the US. This also means a lower labour cost in India. These factors will determine your India salary. Seema Nair, Co-Leader India HR Operations of Cisco India explains, "The salary in India (for Cisco employees moving from US to India) is related to local labour market wage rates with a potential premium for critical skill sets."

Achyut Menon, head of Options Executive Search Pvt Ltd also adds, "In the nineties, people who were posted to India got expat salaries. But those days are over. In the last 10 years, India has become an attractive market for global companies who are not just looking to set up offshore centers here, but also to capitalize on the growing, educated and highly aspirational middle class consumer segment. Added to that is the availability of skilled labour within India itself. Companies no longer need to pay expat salaries."

Benchmark: What then should be the broad benchmark?

Both Lakshmikanth and Menon say that while there cannot be a standard formula, the Big Mac Index is a good guideline to calculate salaries. The Big Mac index published by The Economist, is based on the theory of purchasing-power parity (PPP), according to which exchange rates should adjust to equalise the price of a basket of goods and services around the world. The basket in this case being a McDonald's Big Mac.

Now according to the last available index dated July 2011, a Big Mac costing USD 4.07 in the US costs USD 1.89 in dollar terms in India (Rs 85 converted at an exchange rate of Rs 45). It means that the Big Mac costs 54% less in India; the cost of living is 54% lower in India. Read another way, this means that the rupee is undervalued by 54% to the dollar and that on the basis of PPP, one dollar would actually be worth Rs 21 instead of Rs 45.

So if you are drawing a salary of USD 100,000 in the US, you can expect to draw Rs 21 lakh in India, give or take. At an exchange rate of Rs 45, that would translate to an Indian salary of USD 46,666 or 46% of the US salary. :ranger:

"Senior management can expect anywhere between 40% and 70% of their last drawn US salary when they move to India," Menon explains, adding, "At the 70% end would be people who have moved to India to set up a development/ engineering center or to head the global company's India start-up."

Best career move

Having set that broad benchmark, the salary would also vary between industries and functions. You would need to choose your profile and company carefully to maximise your salary.

"Manufacturing would pay less than technology. Within technology, we find that delivery of software is something which Indian companies have become masters in. They don't need to employ people from overseas. In fact, such people from the US are paid less than the person who stayed back in India because those returning from the US have handled fewer people teams as compared to peers in India," Lakshmikanth points out.

Similarly, domestic Indian companies do not usually recruit NRIs for strategic positions if the NRIs are not familiar with the dynamics of the Indian market and work place.

As an NRI moving back to India, Menon says it would be best to join a company in the US which has plans to start-up/ expand in India. "A lot of US companies across sectors like engineering, legal, analytics, financial services, pharmaceuticals are setting up operations in India. :cheers:

These companies are happy to send an Indian to India who also has experience of their other markets. The employee benefits because he can grow with the company's operations in India. In the beginning, the company will set up a 30-40 staff office and expand going forward. As a member of the start-up, the employee grows as the company grows, making it a win-win for both" he explains.

Parting shot

"At the end of the day, come back to India for the same reasons you went abroad: for personal and professional growth and happiness. Come with a long term view in mind and you won't regret it," Menon advices.

(The author is a chartered accountant and financial writer. She also blogs at blogs.economictimes)

[//articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-09-29/news/30213297_1_india-salary-expat-salaries-cisco-india]NRIs moving from the US to India: How much salary to expect - Economic Times[/url]

Dhoni richer than Bolt, Djokovic

Team India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has beaten the likes of sprinter Usain Bolt, tennis ace Novak Djokovic and teammate Sachin Tendulkar in the latest list of world's 100 richest sportspersons, released by the Forbes magazine.

According to the list, Dhoni is ranked 31st, which is way ahead of Djokovic (62nd), Bolt (63rd) and Tendulkar (78th).

Star footballers Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres are also behind Dhoni in the latest list.

Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather topped the list with total earnings of USD 85 million while Fillipino pugilist Manny Pacquiao, with earnings of USD 62 million, and golf legend Tiger Woods, with USD 59.4 million, are second and third.

Of his total earnings of 26.5 million, Dhoni earns 23 million through endorsements. Tendulkar has earned USD 18.6 million with 16.5 million from endorsements.

Interestingly, the Indian captain's earnings through endorsements are more than the world's most popular footballer Lionel Messi.

Although Messi is 11th in the list with total earnings of USD 39 million — his earnings from endorsements is USD 19 million, which is 4 million less than that of Dhoni.

Manchester United's star striker Rooney is placed 37th with total earnings of USD 24.3 million.

Djokovic is 62nd with USD 20.6 million, while Usain Bolt is 63rd with total earnings of USD 20.3 million.

Maria Sharapova is the richest among women's sportspersons at 26th with earnings of USD 27.9 million. :ranger:

While Roger Federer is ranked fifth in the list, David Beckham (8th) and Cristiano Ronaldo (9th) are the two footballers, who are in the top-10.

thehindu.com/sport/cricket/article3547069.ece

Last edited:

santosh10

Court Sentences Spy Who Sold Stealth Bomber Secrets to China
Jason Mick (Blog) - January 26, 2011

Mr. Gowadia helped designed the stealth and propulsion systems of the B-2 bomber , while at Northrop Grumman. But in 1999 he found a consulting firm and began selling his secrets to foreign nations, including China. :ranger:

18425 bombers b2 0004

The Cold War may be over, but the art of spying is far from dead. If the recent case of Anna Chapman -- a Russian vixen turned super-spy -- wasn't reminder enough, we have the case of Noshir Gowadia, a convicted Hawaiian-based spy who sold U.S. Air Force secrets to China.

I. From Top Engineer to Dangerous Spy

This man, now 66 years old, was born in India but immigrated to the U.S., starting a new life as a professional engineer. At his new work he gained access to some our nation's most valuable secrets. The man in fact designed those secrets while working with top military contractor Northrop Grumman.

Mr. Gowadia, billed himself as "father of the technology that protects the B-2 stealth bomber from heat-seeking missiles" . He was among the principle design engineers working on the B-2's propulsion system during his career with Northrop that lasted from 1968 to 1986.

In the late 1990s, he struck out on his own, founding a consulting firm in 1999 dubbed "Gowadia, Inc."

Over the next five years he reportedly proceeded to try to sell foreign operatives our nation's stealth secrets, some of which he concocted. He sent information to operatives from Germany, Israel, and Switzerland.

And his biggest transaction was his transmission of a wealth of data to the People's Republic of China. That transaction allowed China to jump-start its stealth aerospace efforts and design a stealth missile. It also netted Mr. Gowadia $110,000 USD, which he used pay off his mortgage on a luxury home on the island of Maui. :china:

But that gain would result in a far greater loss, the loss of his freedom.

II. The Arrest

In 2005, Mr. Gowdia was arrested after the CIA and FBI analyzed his communications. Federal authorities raided Mr. Gowdia's penthouse only to discover documents showing his communication of state secrets to eight separate nations. Mr Gowdia admitted to sending the classified information, but said he only did so to "to establish the technological credibility with the potential customers for future business."

The U.S. government clearly didn't buy that excuse. They charged Mr. Gowdia with 18 counts, including espionage charges, charges about the transmission of classified documents to a foreign state, charges stemming from his role in designing Chinese stealth missiles, and money laundering charges.

The trial dragged on through 2007 as Mr. Gowdia's defense team insisted they needed access to classified materials in order to give a proper defense. Once they obtained those materials after a thorough security screening, the trial was further delayed, as the defense claimed Mr. Gowdia was suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. The defense brought in Richard Rogers, a forensic psychology professor at the University of North Texas, and Dr. Pablo Stewart, a psychiatry professor at the University of California, San Francisco to testify about Mr. Gowdia's supposed condition.

On November 20, 2009, a federal magistrate ruled that the experts' testimony was not credible. U.S. Magistrate Kevin S.C. Chang wrote that just because the defendant couldn't communicate well with his defense team didn't mean he was incompetent and unable to stand trial, as the defense claimed.

III. The Sentence

After a three-month jury trial, Mr. Gowdia was finally found guilty of 14 out of 17 charges, with a verdict arriving August 9, 2010. Sentencing was delayed until this week. While Mr. Gowdia faced up to a life sentence in prison, he was sentenced to a slightly lesser sentence of 32 years in federal prison.

Assistant US Attorney Ken Sorenson who prosecuted the case told the Associated Press that he was "a little disappointed" with the sentence. "But 32 years is stiff and in many ways an appropriate sentence for him. We're confident the message is sent that when you compromise US national security, when you disclose national defense secrets, when you profit by US national defense information, that you will be punished, you will be pursued, you will be convicted," Sorenson continued.

If he lives long enough, he may eventually see parole, but Mr. Gowdia likely will spend most of the remainder of his life behind bars.

His family claims that he is innocent and is fighting to appeal the decision. States his son, Ashton, to the Associated Press, "My father would never, ever do anything to intentionally to hurt this country. We hope the convictions will be overturned and he'll be able to go home."

In a similar case, an elderly Chinese spy working at Boeing was recently sentenced to 15 years behind bars. :tsk:

dailytech.com/Court+Sentences+Spy+Who+Sold+Stealth+Bomber+Secrets+to+China/article20755.htm

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles