Nirbhay Cruise Missile Test 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Don't think so. All this would have been simulated many times to arrive at a design. Size of the nose is not likely cause
comparative systems

Babur with closed intake

it seems like nobody ever tried this design

more over simulator data cannot take over the need of real test and it was a real time test.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Off course simulator cannot replace real test but only a positive simulator result can allow total development to a test prototype

tramp

Was it the typical Indian misplaced overconfidence that led DRDO to take a full-range test instead of a partial one as they usually do for such long-range missiles? supporting DRDO is one thing, but hard questions need be asked.

Immanuel

Country flag
Agni-3 first flight failed, all other tests were very much a great success, the last test was on 21 Sep 2012 with a random Prod missile being user fired and hitting its target with double digit accuracy, the missile is full induction mode as we speak a missile group with Agni-3 has already been raised based in Secunderabad like all other Nuke missile groups.

Agni-2 prime's first flight failed but two consecutive launches were a stunning success, the missile is now referred to as the Agni-4

Agni-5 was a great start and Brahmos tests so far show that we have attained a very high level of capability, however, we have to keep in mind there are no loitering cruise missiles out there. Harop and Harpy comes close as smart hunter killer attack self destruct UAVs but they lack the long range or the speed or heavy warhead options.

Actually to get this right the first time is indeed a very big step. Next test should be a stunning success, once it is, it can easily be labeled as the most sophisticated and lethal subsonic cruise missile anywhere in the world.

I am also glad to see from NDTV video that the 3 missiles launcher is also ready. The missile itself looks very robust and easily deployable from land, air or sea. Now all they need is a full mission success with bang on target hit, I think this should be a quick fix and we'll be back on the range in a few weeks with a successful hit. I am eagerly waiting for a tests of multiple salvo launches, all 3 fired at different targets.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Was it the typical Indian misplaced overconfidence that led DRDO to take a full-range test instead of a partial one as they usually do for such long-range missiles? supporting DRDO is one thing, but hard questions need be asked.
Even Russian who have years of experience had continuous failed tests. A3 and A4 failed at first attempt. World has not follow down because of this first failed test.

Immanuel

Country flag
I think this is a silly statement, a missile has its full range with its max payload and that should be tested in first flight. What does a partial range test signify more than a full range test? How will one know if it can hit that range if you don't test? the missile seems to have travelled around 230 km when it began to deviate, shows that a glitch can happen anytime whether early in the flight or just before target mpact, parhaps the missile veers of just a 100m before hitting its target durting its terminal manuevers. Testing especially the first one has to meets its basic objective, if the missile has a required range of 1000km and speed of mach 0.7 flying atleast a 100-500m altitude, we should aim to hit 1000km at mach 0.7 flying at the required altitude, these are the missile's basic requirements. Testing anything less is a Paki/Cheeni way of testing, a couple of tests, often not to full-range and suddenly it is labeled a big success.

I strongly object to such a silly way of testing, I would rather we fail a few times and have stunning successes after than under test and rush it into production. DRDO is very correct in aiming to test the missile's full range.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
failure and success is a part of development :truestory:

RoYaL~GuJJaR

Sad News! But as the saying goes..

Girte hain sheh-sawar hi maidain-e-jung mein, Woh tifl kya gire, jo ghutno ke bal chalein'
Lets hope DRDO will rectify the problem and come up with success in the next Launch.

Lets hope for the best.

shiphone

Country flag
an indian defence blog last December
---------------------------------------------
Stupid engine is still Russian. WTF!
The MoD-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd's (HAL) Bengaluru-based Engine Test Bed Research & Development Centre (ETBRDC) has developed a turbofan (see below) for powering all members of the Nirbhay cruise missile family.

------------------------------------------
it seems like nobody ever tried this design
3M14

Last edited:

Patriot

Country flag
Common mate! When one is virgin then it is not so easy to cruise in the virgin territory very first time.

There is something called learning curve, it takes time & some failures as well. We shall reach there soon.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All recent tests of missiles have been to full range.

tramp

No offence.. I was referring to the full-range test. In most cases the maiden test is partial range. its only later that full range is attempted after flight validation of most vital parameters. Maybe validation of many components on Lakshya was thought good enough. Before the test I had this deja vu... of what I feel when GSLV is on the launch pad.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No offence.. I was referring to the full-range test. In most cases the maiden test is partial range. its only later that full range is attempted after flight validation of most vital parameters. Maybe validation of many components on Lakshya was thought good enough. Before the test I had this deja vu... of what I feel when GSLV is on the launch pad.
Well they claim they rested A5 to full range. Though I have my doubts on that.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The loud mouth team and its leaders gagged themselves three weeks because of the test they were preparing for many years but were using screw driver on it just before the test.

India should/must have an Independent authority having scientific people overseeing these project and evaluating their claims.

With the failure of this test, the missile was blasted mid air for a difficult collection of wreckage all over the ocean, given it will have so many weapon delivery and maneuvering envelops to master one can easily say it is 5-8 years away to be deployment ready. Not to mention they are allegedly using Russian engine.

What a waste of jingo nerves.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
TS Subramanian & Y.Mallikarjun in The Hindu

In a setback to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) plans, the maiden flight of long-range subsonic cruise missile, Nirbhay (Fearless) had to be terminated within 20 minutes of its launch after it deviated from the path.

A top DRDO official told The Hindu from Chandipur that the flight had to be terminated to ensure "coastal safety".

The missile was launched from a road mobile launcher around 11.45 am from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, off the Odisha coast. After flying for more than 15 minutes as per the envisaged path, it deviated and veered towards the coast forcing DRDO scientists to abort the flight. The two-stage, low-altitude missile was flying at a height of 4.5 km when the mission was aborted.

DRDO planned to test the missile for its full range of 1,000 km and established make-shift stations along the East Coast to track the missile during its flight.

Soon after the missile took off, the booster engine kick-started and the first stage was separated and missile cruised ahead at 0.7 Mach.

Avinash Chander Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems), DRDO, however, said that all the mission objectives were met. He said the cruise capability of the system was established for about 30 per cent of the envisaged range when the missile deviated from its trajectory and drifted. All the parameters till that time were exactly as planned. "All the aspects of cruise vehicle were tested and verified. That is a major achievement", he added.

He said the reasons for deviation were being analysed and it might take a couple of months before the next flight was launched.

The missile has "loitering capability" and could fly from an altitude of 500 meters to 10 km. It could go over and around the hills and would be difficult to detect.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
by looking at the current launcher the missile seems like a hot launch as opposed to that of BrahMos

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
by looking at the current launcher the missile seems like a hot launch as opposed to that of BrahMos
No it's a two stage launch. Ejection and then boost.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Next flight in a couple of months tentatively shows confidence of the DRDO as well as proof of a few prototypes being ready for test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles