INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Ishapore Assault Rifle 7.62mm has successfully cleared the evaluation trials with flying colours. Trials conducted by Ministry of Home Affairs for its Armed Forces. Accuracy: 9 out of 10 on bulls eye! Reliability: more than 15000 rounds without stopage! Unbeatable! Salaam OFB.
7.62 nato or 7.62x39?
what does 9 out of 10 bullseye mean? what minute of angle does it signify?
15000 rounds without stoppages! thats almost unheard of. If true good job.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ishapore Assault Rifle 7.62mm has successfully cleared the evaluation trials with flying colours. Trials conducted by Ministry of Home Affairs for its Armed Forces. Accuracy: 9 out of 10 on bulls eye! Reliability: more than 15000 rounds without stopage! Unbeatable! Salaam OFB.
Eh. It's such shame what a product like that will become from their bad quality control. But maybe if this corporatisaton makes any difference... HAL made crap too, now look at Tejas fit & finish! These aint bad either.
20200207_124042.jpg

7.62 nato or 7.62x39?
NATO. Ghatak passed it years ago. This is the 7.62×51 on the right.
D_62Ut-U8AAfEkB.jpeg

I think I read their bullseye is of 3 inch, to be shot from 50 m away. Someone else may confirm.

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
7.62 nato or 7.62x39?
Ishapore assault rifle is 7.62 nato. The bull's-eye is the small circular area at the centre of a target. The bullseye sits in the centre of the middle and it is 7″ in diameter; what he meant to say is nine bullets out of ten bullets fire from this rifle had hit the bull's-eye. Stoppage is a condition which prevents a rifle from being fired, usually in automatic weapons as the result of a cartridge not feeding properly from the magazine to the breech of the rifle. Rifles stoppages are counted per thousand rounds but 15000 rounds shooting without the rifle being jammed is an achievement in itself or may be a typo and meant to say 1500 rounds fired without jamming. Excalibur experiences two stoppages in 1000 rounds fired when it was trialed by the army.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
The bullseye sits in the centre of the middle and it is 7″ in diameter; what he meant to say is nine bullets out of ten bullets fire from this rifle had hit the bull's-eye.
...Fired from what distance? Are there different diameter of bullseye for different ranges, or are all 7"?

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
...Fired from what distance? Are there different diameter of bullseye for different ranges, or are all 7"?
That is the question we should ask to the original poster or an OFB official. But they did mention that the trial was conducted by mha but they didnt mention where the trial was conducted? Or, either MHA's shooting range or ofb own backyard. However, a rifle accuracy is generally measured by looking at the dispersion of a number of shots fired at the same point of aim. An ideal group would be one where all shots land in a hole no larger than the diameter of a single bullet; this would indicate zero dispersion. The most common way of measuring groups then is to measure the edge to edge distance of the farthest holes, and subtract the bullet diameter, which gives the center to center or c-c measurement of the group. This can be expressed in linear measures (a 30 mm group at 100 m, or a one inch group at 100 yards) or in angular measures (a milliradian or MOA group). Groups for rifles are traditionally shot at either 100 meters or 100 yards (91 m). At 100 yd a minute of arc equals 1.047 inches (26.6 mm), and the one MOA group (approximately 1/3 or 0.3 mil) is a traditional benchmark of accuracy.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That is the question we should ask to the original poster or an OFB official. But they did mention that the trial was conducted by mha but they didnt mention where the trial was conducted? Or, either MHA's shooting range or ofb own backyard. However, a rifle accuracy is generally measured by looking at the dispersion of a number of shots fired at the same point of aim. An ideal group would be one where all shots land in a hole no larger than the diameter of a single bullet; this would indicate zero dispersion. The most common way of measuring groups then is to measure the edge to edge distance of the farthest holes, and subtract the bullet diameter, which gives the center to center or c-c measurement of the group. This can be expressed in linear measures (a 30 mm group at 100 m, or a one inch group at 100 yards) or in angular measures (a milliradian or MOA group). Groups for rifles are traditionally shot at either 100 meters or 100 yards (91 m). At 100 yd a minute of arc equals 1.047 inches (26.6 mm), and the one MOA group (approximately 1/3 or 0.3 mil) is a traditional benchmark of accuracy.
Yes, I have a decent concept of the procedure. But to determine anything about the MOA based on the known bullseye diameter, you have to know the distance it is being fired from.

If we average 100yards & 100m then it is about 95m.
Considering 9 out of 10 bullet hit 7" bullseye from that distance, MOA seems impossibly low!.. Either they shoot from 500m or the bullseye is smaller than 7".

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Eh. It's such shame what a product like that will become from their bad quality control. But maybe if this corporatisaton makes any difference... HAL made crap too, now look at Tejas fit & finish! These aint bad either.
View attachment 48105
NATO. Ghatak passed it years ago. This is the 7.62×51 on the right.
View attachment 48103
I think I read their bullseye is of 3 inch, to be shot from 50 m away. Someone else may confirm.
Here is a stamped steel and milled AK side by side.

OFB put a heavy, unwieldy foregrip on the GHAATAK, fixed butt stock, an awful pistol grip and way too many rivets on the rifle to hold it in place.

This tells me two things :

1) Quality of steel used by OFB is not upto the mark and thus they had to resort to these shenanigans (too many rivets).

2) Lack of a proper finish on the rifle.

3) No cleaning rod provided but a cleaning rod holder is present on the barrel.

Attached below is a picture of AKs made in back alley workshops by illiterate mountain tribes.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Made in India 'Corner Shot Rifle' undergoes user trials by Army
Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune developed ” Trikaal ” Corner Shot Weapon System (CSWS) has in the recent past undergone user trials by by Rashtriya Rifles at the Pashan Range.

The lightweight rifle is made of composite materials and is multi-caliber, capable of firing both 5.56 and 7.62 rounds.

Two different versions of CSWS are being developed—one to mount and fire 9 mm pistol and the other as a platform for 40 mm Under Barrel Grenade Launcher developed by ARDE.

Once the evaluation trials are over, the rifle design would be offered to a public or private sector industry for manufacture as per the Government’s decision, and then made available to special forces like the National Security Guard (NSG), Army and police units.

The corner shot rifle, which enables a soldier to fire at 90 degrees or at an angle from behind a wall without facing a terrorist or a target was first developed in Israel . India is reported to have bought some rifles for anti-terror operations.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag

This is a report of Sept 2019. After the successful trials of INSAS 7.62X51 Rifle, the Army was so happy it imported SIG 716i.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Made in India 'Corner Shot Rifle' undergoes user trials by Army
Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune developed ” Trikaal ” Corner Shot Weapon System (CSWS) has in the recent past undergone user trials by by Rashtriya Rifles at the Pashan Range.

The lightweight rifle is made of composite materials and is multi-caliber, capable of firing both 5.56 and 7.62 rounds.

Two different versions of CSWS are being developed—one to mount and fire 9 mm pistol and the other as a platform for 40 mm Under Barrel Grenade Launcher developed by ARDE.

Once the evaluation trials are over, the rifle design would be offered to a public or private sector industry for manufacture as per the Government’s decision, and then made available to special forces like the National Security Guard (NSG), Army and police units.

The corner shot rifle, which enables a soldier to fire at 90 degrees or at an angle from behind a wall without facing a terrorist or a target was first developed in Israel . India is reported to have bought some rifles for anti-terror operations.
do the israelis use corner shot? looks like a gimmick to me, havent seen them in use with any teir one units.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
OFB put a heavy, unwieldy foregrip on the GHAATAK, fixed butt stock, an awful pistol grip and way too many rivets on the rifle to hold it in place.

This tells me two things :

1) Quality of steel used by OFB is not upto the mark and thus they had to resort to these shenanigans (too many rivets).

2) Lack of a proper finish on the rifle.

3) No cleaning rod provided but a cleaning rod holder is present on the barrel.
I know you have sone issues against Ghatak in favour of Trichy, but its foregrip may look bulky, but is made of plastic & actually has p-rails. The pistol grip is more ergonomic too.

JVPC & 7.62×51 both has machined bodies. No idea why not used on Ghatak. Same for buttstock... Possibly requirment related reason.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I know you have sone issues against Ghatak in favour of Trichy, but its foregrip may look bulky, but is made of plastic & actually has p-rails. The pistol grip is more ergonomic too.

JVPC & 7.62×51 both has machined bodies. No idea why not used on Ghatak. Same for buttstock... Possibly requirment related reason.
yeah the army didnt ask for a adjustable buttstock.
i am pretty sure the JVPC has a stamped reciever.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Guys, any chance if MCIWS (called AAR now I think) might be resurrected in light of the new AATMANIRBHAR announcement ? I really wish it is and atleast makes it to the para military (like jvpc). I have lost hope of IA ever supporting such things. And we must not blame IA alone for their lack of confidence in OFB after the bad quality of INSAS ! Atleast the AAR design should be given free to SSS or other pvt industry so that they can produce a quality rifle.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Guys, any chance if MCIWS (called AAR now I think) might be resurrected in light of the new AATMANIRBHAR announcement ? I really wish it is and atleast makes it to the para military (like jvpc). I have lost hope of IA ever supporting such things. And we must not blame IA alone for their lack of confidence in OFB after the bad quality of INSAS ! Atleast the AAR design should be given free to SSS or other pvt industry so that they can produce a quality rifle.
We saw it at Defexpo. Nobody knows anything else.

If it had a 7.62x51/39 option, then maybe it would have better chances. Now that we're almost doing away with 5.56, it is unlikely.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

All foregrips are made of polymer today regardless of the rifle in question, this includes the INSAS.

This is another AK (milled) called the Trichy Assault Rifle, also made by OFB (Tiruchirapalli).

Notice how the upper foregrip has Picatinny rails. The design of the rifle itself is based on the M1F41 rifle.

The way your fingers would have to contort to hold the pistol grip looks very uncomfortable.

TAR has a better quality finish, waffle magazines and a sidefolding buttstock with options for an M4 style telescopic one.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles